Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,410 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 (1140 Views)

Great Inventions That Killed Their Inventors / Inventors Who Were Killed By Their Own Inventions / 10 Greatest Inventors In History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 by AlPeter: 7:01pm On Jan 21, 2016
*The birth of Andrew Beard in 1849 is celebrated on this date. He was a black farmer and inventor.

Andrew Jackson Beard was born a slave in Jefferson County, Alabama. He was emancipated at the age of 15, and married at 16. Beard was a farmer near Birmingham, Alabama for some five years, but recalled visiting Montgomery in 1872 with 50 bushels of apples drawn by oxen. He said, "It took me three weeks to make the trip. I quit farming after that." Instead he built and operated a flourmill in Hardwicks, Alabama. He began pondering the mechanics of his subsequent plow invention. Beard’s idea grew and, in 1881, he patented one of his plows and sold it, in 1884, for $4,000.

On December 15, 1887, Beard invented another plow and sold it for $5,200. With this money he went into the real estate business and made about $30,000. In 1889, Beard invented a rotary steam engine, patented on July 5,1892. He claimed that his steam engine was cheaper to build and operate than steam engines and it would not explode. While Beard worked on his rotary steam engine, he experimented with perhaps his finest invention, an automatic car coupler idea. In the early days of American railroading, coupling was done manually. Car coupling, an extremely dangerous requiring a railroad worker to brace himself between cars and drop a metal pin into place at the exact moment the cars came together.

Few railroad men kept all their fingers, many lost arms and hands. And, many were caught between cars and crushed to death during the hazardous split-second operation. Beard himself lost a leg as a result of a car coupling accident. His idea secured two cars by merely bumping them together. Beard invented the Automatic Railroad Car Coupler, commonly referred to as the "Jenny" coupler. The patent for his invention was issued on November 23, 1897 (see Registry entry on that date). Andrew Beard’s invention, which was improved in 1899, is the forerunner of today’s automatic coupler. Unfortunately, Beard’s life, after 1897, is a virtual mystery.

He died in 1921 yet no record has been found of where it happened. The railroad industry owes a debt to his inventive genius.

lalasticlala is time for us to know more about our race.

Re: Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 by mjconcept(m): 5:29pm On Jan 22, 2016
Re: Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 22, 2016
If Andrew J Beard can acheive this in a racially stereotypic country with no help other than his own genius; then I think I can do something in this damned country. Thank you OP

1 Like

Re: Black Inventors; Andrew J. Beard 1849-1921 by AlPeter: 7:12pm On Feb 22, 2016
SirWere:
If Andrew J Beard can acheive this in a racially stereotypic country with no help other than his own genius; then I think I can do something in this damned country. Thank you OP
you are welcome

(1) (Reply)

EDB Repair Software / 10 Differences Between The North And South Poles / How To Withdraw Your Payooner Funds And Receive Your Money To Nigeria Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.