Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:10 AM

Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars (557 Views)

The Oscars 2017: Full Winner's List (pics) / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” / "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by resty4(m): 10:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Actor Will Smith said Thursday he will not attend next month’s Oscars ceremony, joining his wife Jada Pinkett Smith and director Spike Lee to protest the absence of minorities among the acting nominees.
For a second year in a row, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated only white actors for the 20 slots, causing an outcry. The issue is likely to be front and center when the Academy’s board meets on Tuesday.
Smith, a mega-star whose role in NFL drama “Concussion” was overlooked this year, said he was out of the country when his wife announced on social media that she would not attend the February 28 awards ceremony in Hollywood.
“She’s deeply passionate and when she is moved she has to go,” Smith said in an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America” show. “I heard her words and I was knocked over. I was happy to be married to that woman.”
“There is a position that we hold in this community, and if we’re not part of the solution, we’re part of the problem,” said Smith, a two-time Oscar nominee for his roles in “Ali” and “The Pursuit of Happyness.”
“It was her call to action, for herself, and for me and for our family to be a part of the solution.”
Smith said America’s diversity was one of its strength, and should be reflected in film.
“Everyone is beautiful and deserving and is fantastic, but it feels like it’s going the wrong direction,” he said of this year’s nominations list.
“The nominations reflect the Academy. The Academy reflects the industry and then the industry reflects America,” he said.
“There is a regressive slide towards separatism, towards racial and religious disharmony and that’s not the Hollywood that I want to leave behind.”
– Hollywood reforms? –
Lee has said he and his wife will be skipping the ceremony too, though he has said he is not calling for a wider boycott.
Lee, who won an Oscar last year honoring his lifetime achievements as a moviemaker, wrote an open letter to the academy Monday decrying the “lilly white” acting nominations.
Lee says the bias lies with the studio executives who decide which movies get made — a point others have made as the #OscarsSoWhite backlash mounts.http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/will-smith-confirms-oscars-no-show-over-la/
Re: Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by DikSin(m): 11:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
Good shocked
Re: Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by joshadedapo(m): 11:33pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oscar my foot mtcheeeew ;(
Re: Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by joshadedapo(m): 11:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oscar my foot mtcheeeew sad
Re: Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by wristbangle: 8:02am On Jan 22, 2016
So this issue of racism is still endemic in America
Re: Will Smith Joins Protest, Won’t Attend Oscars by bqlekan(m): 8:11am On Jan 22, 2016
These people are fůcking racist...
NP... The blacker the Berry... Kendrick Lamar

(1) (Reply)

Shaapera Emerges As 'tecno Own The Stage' Winner. Takes Home $25,000 / Game Of Thrones And Movie Junkies!! / Jason Bourne Is Back O!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.