Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? (3237 Views)

10 Things To Do While Stuck In Nigerian Traffic / Fun Things To Do This Sallah Weekend / Food For Thought - Did You Know. . . . . . . Let's Have Some Fun With Some FACTS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by OkraSoup1: 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2009
I'll be in Nigeria within two weeks and was wondering what do people do for fun. I don't mean kids, what do adults (people in their early to mid 30s and up) do for fun in Lagos? I haven't been in Nigeria since 1998 and before that 1988 so it's been a while. I don't really know anyone besides my mum so I'd like to meet some people to hang out with when my mum's busy or I just want to get out. I'm interested in traditional, cultural entertainment as in I'm not looking to do anything that seems like a copy of what people in the u.s. consider fun. I've been watching NTA trying to get a feel for the country and have to admit I hate the music videos where the artists are trying to rap or get all jiggy r&b style. I guess I'm looking to learn more about traditionally Nigerian things to do. For example I plan on going to Agege market (is that still around?) buying ingredients so I can make black soap with my mum. That should give you an idea of the kinds of things I'm looking to do. Once you've been out of Nigeria as long as I have, you start missing the most basic things. I wish to reconnect.
I will also be in Anambra some of the time so fun cultural activities I can get into there would be nice to know.
So people , Share, fill me in, let me know what's up. I'd appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time.
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
lol, your funny. Most Nigerians want to live as if they are overseas, so your 'cultural activities' will be limited to going to craft shows. I suggest you chill and take in the scenery. Go to a bar or two and mingle. You'll surely meet one or two 'wanna be's' but such is Naija today. Lagos is a busy city, so culture has been filtered tremendously. All the same, hope you have fun and embrace the changes.
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by OkraSoup1: 1:34am On Jun 25, 2009
I hope I have fun too seeing as the things I'm thinking will be fun aren't what Nigerians wish to get into.
I'm wondering why this board is so slow. I thought this place was full of Nigerians and I'd get more than one answer. Perhaps there's a more active board I should posing my questions on? undecided
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by Nobody: 1:49am On Jun 25, 2009
Yep, Romance, Politics, Auto or Family.
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by cooldud62: 3:22pm On Jun 25, 2009
lol@ agege market,
there's nothing like that any longer, i stay close to that place and can say its different now.
I remember those days you are talking about. Agege use to be popular for the market, bread and some other things.
If traditional stuff is what you are looking for, lagos is not the place to be as lagosians are trying their best to be like newyorkers lol.
Anyway, have fun in Nigeria, be careful of where you go and who you mingle with.
goodluck.
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by JJYOU: 3:35pm On Jun 25, 2009
Okra Soup:

I'll be in Nigeria within two weeks and was wondering what do people do for fun. I don't mean kids, what do adults (people in their early to mid 30s and up) do for fun in Lagos? I haven't been in Nigeria since 1998 and before that 1988 so it's been a while. I don't really know anyone besides my mum so I'd like to meet some people to hang out with when my mum's busy or I just want to get out. I'm interested in traditional, cultural entertainment as in I'm not looking to do anything that seems like a copy of what people in the u.s. consider fun. I've been watching NTA trying to get a feel for the country and have to admit I hate the music videos where the artists are trying to rap or get all jiggy r&b style. I guess I'm looking to learn more about traditionally Nigerian things to do. For example I plan on going to Agege market (is that still around?) buying ingredients so I can make black soap with my mum. That should give you an idea of the kinds of things I'm looking to do. Once you've been out of Nigeria as long as I have, you start missing the most basic things. I wish to reconnect.
I will also be in Anambra some of the time so fun cultural activities I can get into there would be nice to know.
So people , Share, fill me in, let me know what's up. I'd appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time.
the naija you are dreaming of is gone. it is stressed / anxious naija u will meet. be very careful and try to hear what mama is telling you cos she knows the place more than u. most of all dont be as trusty as dem days plus dont give info about your movement to too many people. dont frequent same joint over and over.

enjoy as much as possiblle
Re: What Are Some Fun Things To Do In Lagos? by OkraSoup1: 7:41pm On Jun 25, 2009
Thanks for the responses and tips.
I seem to be getting advice similar to what you guys have shared over and over and over again. How sad that's the case but I'm heeding the advice. It turns out I'm not staying as long as I thought I would be so I'll do the tourist thing with my family and make my soap with my mum. I've missed her so much and we have so much to catch up on.
Despite the state of things, I plan on having a great time.

Thanks all.

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Gov. Wike Terribly Scared? – Rivers APC / I Need A Welcome Party Peepz ;) / Get 100mb From Lamudi On MTN (free Browsing Cheat) (works On All MTN Lines)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.