Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

What Bail Conditions Really Mean - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Bail Conditions Really Mean (29374 Views)

Sule Lamido Rejects Bail Condition (See The Bail Conditions) / 3 Likely Sureties Who May Stand In To Meet Nnamdi Kanu Bail Conditions / Nnamdi Kanu's Bail Conditions: Jewish Surety, N300m, No Interviews, Crowd Of 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Bail Conditions Really Mean by maximunimpact(m): 3:42pm On Jan 22, 2016
I want to use this opportunity to correct a wrong impression about bail conditions. In recent times we have read how courts slam bail charges on accused persons and many think the sums must be paid before releasing an accused.

in reality this money and other conditions will only be redeemed if only the accused jump bail. in that situation the sureties will have to pay the cash.

But if the accused maintain statuesque and appear in court as at when due, that money will never be paid. but the sureties must sign before releasing an accused on bail with the prove of ownership of the landed property as required by the court.

Legal gurus in the house can throw more light on this subject.

90 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by eme1n(m): 3:44pm On Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for the heads up..

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 3:46pm On Jan 22, 2016
You very funny. Without meeting any of the bail conditions, you can't be released. So what if the accused and the surties flee the country? what then?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Candyrain(m): 3:50pm On Jan 22, 2016
OP why are you trying to ruin the day of those jubilating on the bail condition of Olisa Metuh, huh?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by NIJJAking(m): 3:53pm On Jan 22, 2016
REPENT NOW EVERYONE OF YOUR SINFUL EVIL WAYS
OF LIFE TO AVOID SPENDING YOUR ETERNITY IN HELL
FIRE,,,,,,JESUS CHRIST LOVE YOU SOO MUCH AND
WARN YOU TO REPENT AND CONVERT NOW TO
CHRISTIANITY TO AVOID HELL FIRE WHEN YOU
DIE,,,,God made you to be with Him here and in eternity,,,,you are not a mistake creature,,,be wise
dont gamble with your eternity

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2016
We need to settle this dispute on Nairaland once and for all.

Where is lalasticlala sef?

3 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 3:55pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
You very funny. Without meeting any of the bail conditions, you can't be released. So what if the accused and the surties flee the country? what then?

That is why the properties that have docs are deposited in the custody of the courts...

The Cof Os that are verifiable & have value of LIKE SUM....

We have totally bastardised the concept of bail & all thanks for that grey area/confusion goes to the Nigerian Police Force..

We are confusing bail condition with fines & penalties for offences.

@OP , You are on point......

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by DropShot: 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2016
Op, I think you're wrong. The bail conditions must be perfected, including the money part, before the accused will be released. Check your facts as I check mine too.

Traditionally, bail is some form of property deposited or pledged to a court to persuade it to release a suspect from jail, on the understanding that the suspect will return for trial or forfeit the bail (and possibly be brought up on charges of the crime of failure to appear). In some cases, bail money may be returned at the end of the trial, if all court appearances are made, regardless of whether the person is found guilty or not guilty of the crime accused. If a bondsman is used and a surety bond has been obtained, the fee for that bond is the fee for the insurance policy purchased and is not refundable.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

From the emboldened, it's clear that the money has to be deposited with the court. If not, there won't be need for "bail money may be returned" after trial.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by DropShot: 4:02pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

That is why the properties that have docs are deposited in the custody of the courts have CofO that are verifiable & have value of LIKE SUM....

We have totally bastardised the concept of bail & all thanks to that goes to the Nigerian Police Force..

@OP , You are point......
Are you speaking from position of knowledge or from that of your thoughts?

8 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 4:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

That is why the properties that have docs are deposited in the custody of the courts have CofO that are verifiable & have value of LIKE SUM....

We have totally bastardised the concept of bail & all thanks to that goes to the Nigerian Police Force..

@OP , You are point......
Please read the OP again. The OP is claiming that it is when the defendant jumps bail that money is collected. There was nothing on like sum in the OP. The issue of like sum only comes up for defendants who claim they don't have raw cash. If you're collecting the bail money or you collect properties in like sum what difference does it make. The important thing to note here is they are paid before the defendant is released on bail and not when he jumps bail

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:06pm On Jan 22, 2016
@OP:

You are wrong! The bail money money is to be paid to the court and will be kept in the court's custody until after the trial. Should the accused jump bail, he forfeits the money. If he doesn't, he's refunded the money after the trial is concluded.

20 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 4:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
DropShot:

Are you speaking from position of knowledge or from that of your thoughts?

Counter it & prove me wrong... I like to learn. smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

4 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 4:14pm On Jan 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP:

You are wrong! The bail money money is to be paid to the court and will be kept in the court's custody until after the trial. Should the accused jump bail, he forfeits the money. If he doesn't, he's refunded the money after the trial is concluded.

Have you confirmed if Dokpesi & The Bellos Bailors actually deposited cash or properties?.

11 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by DropShot: 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Counter it & prove me wrong... I like to learn. smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

Read that link you provided. I have highlighted it in my first post up here.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by olafum1(m): 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2016
In this case of Methuselah, he must pay his #1b bail o grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by DropShot: 4:21pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Have you confirmed if Dokpesi & The Bellos Bailors actually deposited cash or properties?.

Their bail conditions included money and properties. Both conditions are distinct and must be met.

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:21pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

How do I confirm that? Do I have access to the finance Department of the Court? Once the bail condition say CASH, it is CASH!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Op you are completely wrong.

The bail money is usually paid to the court. If the word "like sum" is used, properties documents of equivalent price is deposited at the court.

The money will be return to the accuse at the end of the trial whether the accused is Guilty or Not.

but during the trial, cash bail money will already be with the court before the accuse can leave prison and start coming to court from home.
At the same time, properties documents of like sum will also be with the court.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Inspectahdeck(m): 4:28pm On Jan 22, 2016
Oga the accused have to pay the stipulated bail sum to the court before he or she can be granted bail or released from prison.

For the sureties, they will not lose their properties and money only if the accused jump bail, but they will deposit all documents and monies with the court.

4 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 4:30pm On Jan 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

How do I confirm that? Do I have access to the finance Department of the Court? Once the bail condition say CASH, it is CASH!

Why do you take everything personal? ... It is a rhetorical question for pete sakes!! angry

Dropshot , geist, tuale4u & barca ,

Do not take my word for it but 1.3 (300m + 2 surety in like sum equals 300x2=600 altogether that is 900m sad billion naira is not going to be deposited anywhere, I have read again, 2 sureties in like sum of 300m, we are allowing interpretation confuse us... smiley

Will Excise & paste specifics ... a dey come.....

Bail is traditionally Properties sef..

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by maximunimpact(m): 4:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
well I just know that I will learn from this thread whether I am right or wrong......... but justice must be done to this subject once an for all.....keep the answers coming.

2 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by ccoolitempa: 4:33pm On Jan 22, 2016
This is very simple...no confusion here. Bail money is demanded by the court as a sort of guarantee to stop an individual fleeing/not showing up in court and if that bail is provided, the individual under trial is then released to stand trial but the bail is held in the custody of the court. If the individual does not show up, the bail is forfeited by the individual who put up the bail. This is held until the end of the trial whatever the outcome.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Pavore9: 4:39pm On Jan 22, 2016
Informative.
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:40pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Why do you take everything personal? ... It is a rhetorical question for pete sakes!! angry

Do not take my word for it but 1 billion naira is not going to be deposited anywhere, I have read again, 2 sureties in like sum, we are allowing interpretation confuse us... smiley

"Bail works by releasing a defendant in exchange for money that the court holds until all proceedings and trials surrounding the accused person are complete. The court hopes that the defendant will show up for his or her court dates in order to recover the bail."
www.money.howstuffworks.com/bail.htm

2 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 4:51pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Do not take my word for it but 1 billion naira is not going to be deposited anywhere, I have read again, 2 sureties in like sum, we are allowing interpretation confuse us... smiley

what do you mean by bail been traditionally properties? Where did you get that from? A bail is what the court says it is. If the court says money, then so be it. If it says properties, then so be it. Courts usually give options of properties in like sum for those who don't have cash but have properties that can stand in for the cash. More like a collateral. The issue with the OP is not what is paid (I.e weather cash or property) but when it is paid. The OP claims the cash or property is paid if the accused jumps bail as against before been released on bail. No accused will be released until all bail conditions are met.

6 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

"Bail works by releasing a defendant in exchange for money that the court holds until all proceedings and trials surrounding the accused person are complete. The court hopes that the defendant will show up for his or her court dates in order to recover the bail."
www.money.howstuffworks.com/bail.htm

Leave those reporters interpretation, Metuh's sureties are required to deposit property doc.... The cash requirements are even 200m for his money laundering case + another 300m for his evidence destructing case.

Cash is 500m if need be , while property value is 200m×2 =400 + 300mx2 =600m .. Everything altogether property wise is 1billion, so if a true picture is sought...

1.5bn is the figure in question...

All these figures people are bandying ain't so...

Away from everything, I believe Nurse's is so stringent to teach him a lesson for his recalcitrant & obstruction of justice stand..

BTW, the link didn't work.

3 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 5:01pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
what do you mean by bail been traditionally properties? Where did you get that from? A bail is what the court says it is. If the court says money, then so be it. If it says properties, then so be it. Courts usually give options of properties in like sum for those who don't have cash but have properties that can stand in for the cash. More like a collateral. The issue with the OP is not what is paid (I.e weather cash or property) but when it is paid. The OP claims the cash or property is paid if the accused jumps bail as against before been released on bail. No accused will be released until all bail conditions are met.

Let's agree i don't know what I'm saying & the SANs are wrong cheesy , the whole cash is even 200+300m , the other conditions are in PROPERTIES...

Go and read both judgements again..

1 Like

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by Geist(m): 5:07pm On Jan 22, 2016
modath:

Let's agree i don't know what I'm saying & the SANs are wrong cheesy , the whole cash is even 200+300m , the other conditions are in PROPERTIES...

Go and read both judgements again..
and did the judgment say the accused can be released even before the bail money or property are submitted to the court?
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by aieromon(m): 5:09pm On Jan 22, 2016
Where is the bail money deposited? What is the name of the account?

Are the C of O documents of the properties dropped with the court registrar just like the travel documents of the accused?
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by SPG4U(m): 5:10pm On Jan 22, 2016
[size=14pt]All i want is for Dasuki and others to be jailed or sentenced to death[/size]

[size=16pt]
meanwhile guys see this threaad on nairaland on the new way to cure stroke, obesity, burn fat, and obesity
[/size]

https://www.nairaland.com/2844443/know-anybody-down-stroke

3 Likes

Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by modath(f): 5:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
Geist:
and did the judgment say the accused can be released even before the bail money or property are submitted to the court?

Where did i opined that? ... What is the function of setting bail conditions if it isn't met before release from custody, kindly point where i posited that?
Re: What Bail Conditions Really Mean by kay29000(m): 5:11pm On Jan 22, 2016
Okay. This is long overdue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Arrest Three Persons With Card Readers In Lagos / Gbajabiamila Replies Tambuwal, Says, “i’ve Moved On” / Fani Kayode Blasts ElRufai Over Memo To Buhari: You're A Coldblooded Backstabber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.