Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,757 members, 7,806,074 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:03 AM

Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? (2099 Views)

Its Actually Not A Free Lunch To Be A Nigerian Citizen......value Your Passport! / If You See This In Your Passport What Will You Do ? ( Pic ) / Having Problem Resizing Your Passport Photos For DV Visa Lottery? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by joy7(f): 4:22am On Oct 29, 2006
Is it possible to make amendments on your particulars in the passport in Nigeria? Had a friend whose birth date is printed wrongly on his passport but he did not had it amend at that time cause he was in a hurry to travel abroad. Now he wants it corrected to his real birth date. Is it possible? Can someone enlighten me please? Thanks!
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by naijacutee(f): 9:12am On Oct 29, 2006
In Nigeria, I'm sure you can make amendments to your nationality if you want tongue
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by joy7(f): 10:07am On Oct 30, 2006
Thanks naijacutee for your reply. My friend, actually he is my boyfriend, told me its not so easy to change his original birth date back on his passport so easily. He said that all his particulars are already in the system, he would need to come up with a good reason before they could let him change it. But I insisted that he should get it change because I do not want him to live with a false birth date (actually its the year that is wrong) just because of a silly mistake that he made when he applied for his passport. When he applied for his passport, he actually listen to the travel agent and put on a false birthdate(3 years younger) thinking its easier to look for a job overseas. I am not a Nigerian and I don't stay in Nigeria so I'm not sure how to help him get it change. Is it possible to make the amendment on his passport without him getting into trouble?
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by naijacutee(f): 9:23pm On Oct 30, 2006
If he goes to the office in ikeja(I don't know if they have moved) they have an 'express lane queue' where for a fee, you can make amendments , I believe. I'm not too sure though, someone presently in Nigeria would know better than me on this.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2006
Better to change the birthdate now or be prepared to perpetuate that lie if he ever wants to live in a foreign country. The day such discrepancy is discovered will be his last day before he gets deported!
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by joy7(f): 11:43am On Oct 31, 2006
Thanks! My boyfriend told me that he has some visa on his passport and if he were to made any amendments, all the visa on it will be lost. He says that the visas are very important in building the passport and visa are not given to Nigerians who do not have travel experience. What else can he do? He says its not as easy as just saying it. Can anyone give me some suggestions? By the way, my boyfriend is staying in Jos and he just came back from a trip to Lagos, can he do the amendments in Jos? Sorry for asking so many questions. I really want him to get it amended. He is looking for a job overseas and I do not want him to put down his false birth date on his CV. He actually went to work overseas with this passport for almost 9 months before returning to Nigeria in September. Or is there someone he can call to find out more? Thanks again for all your informations, really appreciate it. God bless!
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by VOR(m): 2:50pm On Jan 04, 2007
Yes he can have it amended. All he has to do is go to a passport office or even a Nigerian embassy abroad
with proof of his original birthdate. His passport will then be endorsed on the observations page with the correct details.

It really should be no problem and will not affect any visas issued on the passport.

Hope this helps if he hasn't already had it done.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by funkybaby(f): 8:53pm On Jan 04, 2007
VOR is right. It will just be stated on the 'observation' page of his passport and then stamped and signed by the passport officer. He should be able to get it done at the passport office in Jos without coming to Lagos and facing all the hassles @ the Lagos passport office. Let me also add that he might need to get a court affidavit stating the reasons for the error. This he will need to present along with his original birth certificate at the passport office. He will however need to make copies and keep in a safe place the court affidavit. He might need to keep submitting this with his CV or anytime he wants to make any further visa application. I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by munai(f): 7:32am On Jan 05, 2007
Joy where are you from since you are not nigerian or from nigeria?
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by joy7(f): 3:02am On Jan 06, 2007
Thanks for all your suggestions. Its been quite a while since I last posted on this topic, I didn't expect to received anymore reply but thanks to all who still bother to reply to my queries. Its really kind of you. Well, I've convey all the suggestions to my boyfriend. I not sure if he does have a original birth certificate, he might have lost it during a crisis in 2003 which also see him lost his entire family. I am actually a Singaporean. Had know my Nigerian boyfriend for almost a year while he was working here in Asia. I search the web and found Nairaland and I think its really a interesting and helpful website.
Thanks!
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by munai(f): 1:30am On Jan 07, 2007
Joy your story seems fake, you said you are from singapore then you say your boyfriend just came from Jos after a trip from Lagos. He wants to go overseas for job hunting then again you are in singapore

Its really rare for a foreigner within a year esp. from singapore to know Los, Lagos then trip and mix up stories, this thread is really plastic and tired.

Stop playing games.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by joy7(f): 10:55am On Jan 08, 2007
Munai, its really sad for you to think that my story is fake or if I'm playing games. Why should I do that when I've got better things to do. My boyfriend is now in Nigeria while I'm staying in Singapore. Ours is a long distant relationship. My boyfriend came to Singapore in December 2005 before he went to work in January 2006 as a teacher in Vietnam. He was there until September 2006 before he went back to Nigeria because the school that he work for were not willing to renew his visa. He is now staying in Jos and he did make a trip to Lagos in early October 2006 to settle some important documents. I first posted on this thread on 29th October 2006, so I was right to say 'he just came back from a trip to Lagos'. I've myself read in Nairaland or in other forum, stories that seem untrue or ridiculous, but I do not see the need  for me to write in to condemned or criticised them as fake, I just read it with a open mind. To some of us, these stories may seem so fake, so absurd or ridiculous but to the person who wrote that, he or she may be a genuine case of someone desperately seeking help or advise.
Munai, I'm not good at all in making up stories nor am I good at playing games. If you still think that I'm fake, its ok. But to those who took the time to reply to my questions on this thread, I'm really grateful and my boyfriend hopes he will be able find another teaching job in Asia soon. May God bless all you kind hearted people.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by VOR(m): 11:27am On Jan 08, 2007
joy7:

Munai, its really sad for you to think that my story is fake or if I'm playing games. Why should I do that when I've got better things to do. My boyfriend is now in Nigeria while I'm staying in Singapore. Ours is a long distant relationship. My boyfriend came to Singapore in December 2005 before he went to work in January 2006 as a teacher in Vietnam. He was there until September 2006 before he went back to Nigeria because the school that he work for were not willing to renew his visa. He is now staying in Jos and he did make a trip to Lagos in early October 2006 to settle some important documents. I first posted on this thread on 29th October 2006, so I was right to say 'he just came back from a trip to Lagos'. I've myself read in Nairaland or in other forum, stories that seem untrue or ridiculous, but I do not see the need for me to write in to condemned or criticised them as fake, I just read it with a open mind. To some of us, these stories may seem so fake, so absurd or ridiculous but to the person who wrote that, he or she may be a genuine case of someone desperately seeking help or advise.
Munai, I'm not good at all in making up stories nor am I good at playing games. If you still think that I'm fake, its ok. But to those who took the time to reply to my questions on this thread, I'm really grateful and my boyfriend hopes he will be able find another teaching job in Asia soon. May God bless all you kind hearted people.

Joy7

If I were you in future I'd just ignore responses like those of Munai's.
You really don't have to justify yourself to her at all.
When I read her response I just thought how ridiculous she sounded.

Anyway hope your b/f solves his problem.
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by munai(f): 2:02am On Jan 09, 2007
Just my opinion and I still think your thread is fake, why cant you boyfriend give his input so we can answer him well well.

He wants to work overseas and you are in singapore, come on people which part of fake dont you understand? The F, A,K or the E?
Re: Is It Possible To Make Amendments On Your Passport? by kitaun(m): 2:50am On Jan 09, 2007
Hmmn!

(1) (Reply)

Visiting Visa To Canada / Information I Got About O. R. Tambo International Airport South Africa. / Photos: The Water So Clear To The Extent That Boats On It Appear To Be Floating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.