Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,413 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? (22619 Views)

"How My Husband Left Me One Month After Marriage" - Nigerian Lady Cries Out / My Wife Is A Good Woman But Hates Sex After Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 23, 2016
[i]This argument has been on between my colleagues and I, some of us insist a woman maintains her maiden state of origin (officially) after marriage, others say she changes to her marital state of origin .

To the Mrs in the house, which state of origin do you put on official forms (e.g) bank documents, travelling, sim registration...etc.?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by HungerBAD: 12:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
The Husband's.

When you get married,every thing changes to your husbands.

But,some people use their State of Origin for things that might be beneficial to them i.e Jobs and Contracts.

Especially if those things are Zoned to her Original State of Origin.

I don't know how they do it now,but when we did JAMB to get into the University.

Those from the North were given admissions with low Marks,so a woman who is a Northerner but married elsewhere,can use her State for the Admission purpose.

4 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Godmother(f): 12:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
This argument has been on between my colleagues and I, some of us insist a woman maintains her maiden state of origin (officially) after marriage, others say she changes to her marital state of origin .

To the Mrs in the house, which state of origin do you put on official forms (e.g) bank documents, travelling, sim registration...etc.?

As far as I know the only things that change after marriage are your last name and your place of abode. Your state of origin remains what it was before you got married.

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Seun(m): 12:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
Here's a more serious question: what's a woman's birthday and gender after marriage? A wife should adopt her husband's birthday and gender.

184 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by PresVA: 12:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
I still use my dad's origin cos that's where I originated.. undecided

^^^^^^ grin grin grin

35 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by PresVA: 12:20pm On Jan 23, 2016
Godmother:

As far as I know the only things that change after marriage are your last name and your place of abode. Your state of origin remains what it was before you got married.
All these may not even change. . Haven't changed my last name since marriage. ......will still do that though. .

9 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by honeydear(f): 12:26pm On Jan 23, 2016
grin grin indeed..
Seun:
Here's a more serious question: what's a woman's birthday and gender after marriage? A wife should adopt her husband's birthday and gender.

8 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 23, 2016
HungerBAD:
The Husband's.

But,some people use their State of Origin for things that might be beneficial to them i.e Jobs and Contracts.

I don't know how they do it now,but when we did JAMB to get into the University.

Those from the North were given admissions with low Marks,so a woman who is a Northerner but married elsewhere,can use her State for the Admission purpose.

Exactly true!

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 12:44pm On Jan 23, 2016
Seun:
boss please tell dem grin

very funny op. I was like, wat kind of topic is this.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 23, 2016
HungerBAD:
The Husband's.

How can everything change to your husband's? Is it constitutional or traditional/cultural?
If a Nigerian lady marries a polish man, does she automatically lose her Nigerian status? I don't think so.
She only becomes a citizen of such place by marriage...

41 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 12:45pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
This argument has been on between my colleagues and I, some of us insist a woman maintains her maiden state of origin (officially) after marriage, others say she changes to her marital state of origin .

Seun just replied you. U can read his answer to your topic!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jan 23, 2016
PresVA:
All these may not even change. . Haven't changed my last name since marriage. ......will still do that though. .

You lucky others will not let u keep ur last name embarassed
Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 23, 2016
Cutehector:
boss please tell dem grin

very funny op. I was like, wat kind of topic is this.
Uncle if the question is funny to you, stick to Romance section. This is a "controversial" topic amongst some married people.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 12:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

Uncle if the question is funny to you, stick to Romance section. This is a controversial topic amongst some married people.
granny see ur topic just sounds so very funny eh, even d owner of nairaland was just amused. So stop behaving like as if am d bad guy here.

That topic isn't controversial ok.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by PresVA: 12:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
sickstars:

You lucky others will not let u keep ur last name embarassed
Stuffs like that don't bother my husband; I'm even the person talking about changing my name. . To him, whether you change or not, you're mine forever. ..

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Mariecakes(f): 12:56pm On Jan 23, 2016
State of ORIGIN

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by lilmax(m): 1:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
See question grin

3 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by HungerBAD: 1:04pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

How can everything change to your husband's? Is it constitutional or traditional/cultural?
If a Nigerian lady marries a polish man, does she automatically lose her Nigerian status? I don't think so.
She only becomes a citizen of such place by marriage...

I gave my advice purely on the Nigerian Societal Context.

In the Diaspora,don't think it matters(at least in my adopted country )

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 23, 2016
Godmother:

I kept telling them it doesn't change, at a point they started trying to twist my views to feminism. I had to agree, for peace to reign

Cutehector:
granny see ur topic just sounds so very funny eh, even d owner of nairaland was just amused. So stop behaving like as if am d bad guy here.
That topic isn't controversial ok.
What more do I expect from you? Stop dragging seun into your reply, stand alone and stand firm
Are you not cutehector again? Stick to romance section biko...

15 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 1:10pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

I kept telling them it doesn't change, at a point they started trying to twist my views to feminism. I had to agree, for peace to reign

What more do I expect from you? Stop dragging seun into your reply, stand alone and stand firm
Are you not cutehector again? Stick to romance section biko...
why are nigerians so stereotyped in life? Since when did they say cutehector must only comment in romance section? Look kachisbarbie or wareva funny nick u call yaself, try and have some sense please. I can comment on any section I choose to. Alryt.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
Cutehector:
why are nigerians so stereotyped in life? Since when did they say cutehector must only comment in romance section? Look kachisbarbie or wareva funny nick u call yaself, try and have some sense please. I can comment on any section I choose to. Alryt.
abeg swerve, lemme sample wider opinions.
No vex

12 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by dandydrey(m): 1:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 1:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

abeg swerve, lemme sample wider opinions.
No vex
babe see I dey kampe for dis ur thread kay... mchew!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 1:15pm On Jan 23, 2016
lilmax:
See question grin
very daft question I swear. Lol even seun himself commented. cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by byvan03: 1:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
I thought is the husband 's until they corrected me when I went for national identity card. That will urge one to review the meaning of origin, it remains her original state.

6 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Godmother(f): 1:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Seun:

You hit the nail on the head Seun! This is the first time I'm even hearing that women are to change their SOO after marriage. To me it really doesn't make much sense.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Godmother(f): 1:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
PresVA:

Lolz. Your hubby doesn't have wahala then. Some men will tear ground for you angry

1 Like

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
PresVA:
Stuffs like that don't bother my husband; I'm even the person talking about changing my name. . To him, whether you change or not, you're mine forever. ..

I wish to marry a man like ur husband u are really really lucky cry

U av no idea wat most women go tru now

I pray i find a man like ur hubby who will love me deeply nd sincerely

6 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by poshestmina(f): 1:46pm On Jan 23, 2016
Her state of Origin doesn't change ma'am

6 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
Cutehector:
babe see I dey kampe for dis ur thread kay... mchew!
lols
Make yourself comfortable. If you know the quarrel this topic caused yesterday evening, you won't call it funny.
Personally, I maintain my maiden state of origin, though I don't have any "legit" reason to back that decision up. I await people who can elucidate, especially as it applies "constitutionally".

Cutehector:
very daft question I swear. Lol even seun himself commented. cheesy
my dear, don't call my question daft. With all due respect,I doubt you are more intellectually sound than I am.
No offence at all

Godmother:

You hit the nail on the head Seun! This is the first time I'm even hearing that women are to change their SOO after marriage. To be it really doesn't make much sense.
Then you need to take my job for a week. One woman's name was totally different from her ID. She didn't only switch to her husband's state of origin, she took up the name he gave her.
Her ID and the form she filled were totally different, I developed headache when she tried explaining.

4 Likes

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Cutehector(m): 1:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

lols
Make yourself comfortable. If you know the quarrel this topic caused yesterday evening, you won't call it funny.
Personally, I maintain my maiden state of origin, though I don't have any "legit" reason to back that decision up. I await people who can elucidate, especially as it applies "constitutionally".

my dear, don't call my question daft. With all due respect,I doubt you are more intellectually sound than I am.
No offence at all
Mrs intellectuality.. your topic is daft! And I will say it again and again and again.

Don't u understand what origin means? Your root? Your father's state. Jeez. I see no reason why very obvious things like these shoud cause a debate.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Woman Change Her State Of Origin After Marriage? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 23, 2016
Cutehector:
Mrs intellectuality.. your topic is daft! And I will say it again and again and again.

Don't u understand what origin means? Your root? Your father's state. Jeez. I see no reason why very obvious things like these shoud cause a debate.
alright Sir. cheesy
Endeavour to drive your points home constructively. Obviously there are people here who feel it should change to the husband's. The aim of this thread is to educate us all properly, but no...some people here think they are smart and every other person with wrong view(s) is a daft being.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Wife Nags A Lot / Is My Son's School "Over Teaching?" / It is a Confession Hour , I'm Sleeping With My Pastor's Wife .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.