Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,742 members, 7,802,270 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. (656 Views)

Blacks Kneel Down To Greet Ooni Of Ife In His Palace, Whites Sit Down / Igbos In Diaspora Build Mud Houses With Whites To Exhibit Culture / Queen Elizabeth And Buhari To Attend Ogunwusi's Coronation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
In 1957 Dorothy Counts a 15 year old black girl attemped to integrate by attending an all white school in North Carolina, America. She was the first black person to step foot in an all white school. She was treated so badly she had to leave the school after 4 days. She was teased, bullied and stoned. The wife to the leader of the White's citizens council told the girls to spit on her and the boys to keep her out.

source: http://www.history.com.ng/72/dorothy-counts-first-black-person-to-attend-school-with-whit

1 Like

Re: Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. by lukman885(m): 12:53pm On Jan 23, 2016
eyyaaaa ....
Re: Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. by bigfrancis21: 5:38pm On Jan 23, 2016
This is pitiable. The black girl was bold indeed to venture into where no one her colour had previously ventured.

Also, to think that this was happening just nearly 60 years ago is shocking, nearly at about the time Nigeria got her independence and many of our parents were born then.

The same era Donald Trump grew up in. Clearly explains his behaviour and things he says.

1 Like

Re: Dorothy Counts- First Black Person To Attend School With Whites. by musicwriter(m): 5:57pm On Jan 23, 2016
African-Americans and South Africans are the most humiliated people on earth!. One thing I find ironic is that these two people are the first to think they're un-African. Just yesterday I was talking with an African-American and he told me "just because I'm black doesn't mean I'm of African origin". What a fool!. I think the end result is that their self esteem is ZERO. I pity them.

May God help them.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Tour:a Mark Of Respect_ooni Visits Eminent Igbos / Mini Shisha Hookahs for N3,500 (promo), Abj (pics) / Nigerian History At A Glance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.