Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Lessons From Myth - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lessons From Myth (512 Views)

Okunrin Ogun ( A Short Yoruba Myth) Fiction. / CROSS (magic. Sorcery. Myth) / 8 Lessons I Learnt From Publishing My Novel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lessons From Myth by Runninghare(m): 4:44pm On Jan 24, 2016
A farmer had the ability to understand his animals speech, this farmer did linger in the farmyard each evening just to listen to their words. One evening he did hear the Ox bemoaning to the Ass the hardness of his lot: ' I do labor pulling the plow from morning until night. No matter how hot the day, or tired my legs, or how the bow doth chafe my neck, still must I work. But you are a creature of leisure. You're trapped with a colourful blanket and do nothing more than carry our master about were he wishes to go. When he goes nowhere you do rest and eat the green grass all day'
"Now the Ass inspite of his vicious heels, was a goodly fellow and sympathized with the Ox. 'my good friend, he replied you do work very hard and I'll help ease your lot. Therefore, will I tell you how you may have a day of rest. In the morning when the slave comes to fetch you to plow, lie upon the ground and bellow much that he may say you are sick and cannot work'
"So the Ox took the advice of the Ass and the next morning the slave returned to the Farmer and told him that the Ox was sick and could not plow. "Then said the Farmer, 'hitch the Ass to the plow for the plowing must go on'.
"All that day the Ass, who had only intended to help his friend, found himself compelled to do the Ox's task. When night came and he was released from the plow, his heart was bitter and his legs were weary and the neck was sore were the plow had chafed it. "The farmer lingered in the barnyard to listen. "The Ox began first ' You are a good friend, because of your advice I have enjoyed a day of rest'. 'And I retorted the Ass, am like many another simple hearted ones who starts to help a friend and ends up by doing his task for him.
Hereafter you draw your own plow, for I did hear the master tell the slave to send for the butcher'".

Copied: L.O.P

What conclusions did you draw from the story??

(1) (Reply)

The Lost Song (ghoulish Vibes). / Cobwebs In The Closet / Konkon Below

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.