Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai (14834 Views)

Buhari Has Fulfilled Promises On Insecurity, Economy, Corruption– Lai Mohammed / Appointments That Shows Buhari's Administration Is Wasteful - Naij / Non-appointment Of Ministers Shows Buhari’s Military Hangover – Nwabueze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Islie: 6:38pm On Jan 24, 2016
The Federal Government has hailed the U.S. endorsement of its anti-corruption fight, calling it an incentive to continue with the battle that must be won for the Nigeria to achieve sustainable growth.

Recently, the U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, at the World Economic Forum, WEF, Annual Meeting in Davos, Switzerland, commended the President Muhammadu Buhari administration for its effort at combating corruption in Nigeria.Mr. Kerry related how money meant to buy arms for Nigerian soldiers to combat Boko Haram was stolen by public officials; and how the Buhari administration was making moves to prosecute such persons.

On Sunday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, told media executives in Lagos that the acknowledgement of the effort by the government could not have come at a better time.

“The Federal Government is delighted that the anti-corruption war being led by President Muhammad Buhari has been acknowledged and applauded on a global stage.

“It is particularly gratifying that in that speech, Mr Kerry made the link between corruption and terrorism. We agree that corruption is indeed a radicaliser because it destroys faith in legitimate authority.

“Let me remind you, gentlemen, that radicalisation is a key causative factor of terrorism,” the minister said.

Mr. Mohammed said that he would soon kick-start a series of town hall meetings across the country to take the sensitization campaign, which he launched in Abuja last Monday, directly to Nigerians.

The town hall meetings, he said, would be in addition to using the National Orientation Agency, NOA, and the relevant units of the Ministry of Information and Culture to reach every part of the country.

“We know that those who stole us dry are powerful. They have newspapers, radio and television stations and an army of supporters to continuously deride the government’s war against corruption.
“But we are undaunted and will not relent until corruption is also decimated,” the minister said.

Mr. Mohammed said that corruption was responsible for the endemic poverty in the country today, noting that whereas Nigeria’s national budget has increased from just over N900 billion in 1999 to over N6 trillion in 2016, poverty has also increased almost by the same proportion.

“The reason is not far-fetched: Appropriated funds have mostly ended up in the pockets of a few looters,” he said. ”When the money meant to construct roads is looted, the end result is that the roads are not built and the people suffer and even die in avoidable road accidents.

“When the money meant to provide electricity is looted, we all are perpetually sentenced to darkness. When the money meant for healthcare is pocketed by a few, we are unable to reduce maternal and infant mortality. These are the costs of corruption,” he said.

According to Mr. Mohammed, whereas the sum of N51.829 billion was appropriated for 1,278 projects in the Zonal Intervention Projects for 2015, a total of 21 individuals and companies benefited from the ‘Dasukigate’ to the tune of N54.659 billion.
“The implication is that the amount received by 21 individuals and companies is more than the 2015 Zonal Intervention Project budget by N2.829 billion! ‘

‘Furthermore, the value of what the beneficiaries of ‘Dasukigate’ contributed to development is zero, compared to how the lives of Nigerians would have been transformed, poverty reduced and livelihoods improved, by the Zonal Intervention Projects which – as we have shown – would have cost N2.829 billion less than ‘Dasukigate’,” the Minister said.

He said that contrary to what was being said in certain circles– that the government was dwelling too much on the war against corruption to the detriment of other areas of governance– enough time could not be devoted to the fight.

”The situation is very grim indeed, as far as corruption is concerned. That is why the Federal Government is embarking on this sensitization Campaign.

“Our approach – which is to count the cost of corruption – is not to vilify anyone but to use facts and figures to give Nigerians a sense of what corruption has done to their lives,” the minister said.
(NAN)

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/197288-u-s-endorsement-shows-buhari-succeeding-in-fight-against-corruption-lai-mohammed.html

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by homeboy205: 6:39pm On Jan 24, 2016
Ok
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Aminat508(f): 6:39pm On Jan 24, 2016
Nice one!!

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by shameseun: 6:42pm On Jan 24, 2016
Chief Linus Mba again. USA commendation is now accepted?

Just accept their condemnation when the time comes.

...but wait o, can anything apart from lies come out of this man?

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by arbitter: 7:07pm On Jan 24, 2016
What Endorsement? Honestly its really pathetic how Nigerians like to take random statements from western people and try to use it as some sort of appraisal for their politics. Like they need validation from people they consider above them (yes thats totally what it looks like).

And you havent really done anything noteworthy except make accusations and arrest a bunch of people. Which ofcourse is why the Opposition keeps whining about a so called 'Media Trial', I dont know who to blame here, is it the Media that;s annoyingly speculative and hungry for stories to make a big deal out of or is it the Govt... I really wont blame them on this because if they try to shut the media out till they actually do something worthwhile all you'd hear is whinings about how theyre silencing the press, doing secret trials blah blah. Well this is what you get then, the Media will on a daily basis spam you with recycled and non newsworthy stories which you'll then use to claim the Govt is conducting a media trial.

But whatever, i personally will just not give a shlt about what is or isnt done until 2019.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by mrvitalis(m): 7:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
Well I would concure but not because Americans agree.. . Na

There is now this general fear to steal government funds. .. . And that's a plus

But please lai tell Buhari
1) we need to see works going on in our roads
2) we need to see construction of new power plants
3) the second Niger bridge should be nearing completion now
4) work should be going on in our airports.. .. Yes I know there is no money but.. . U should find a way.. ... That's the job u applied for
But if I lack ideas. .. contact me.. .. I can raise 3 trillion for u before this year ends

10 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Khd95(m): 7:11pm On Jan 24, 2016
shameseun:

if u must wail,do so with sensegrin

11 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Chubhie: 7:18pm On Jan 24, 2016
How come he missed comments from Donald trump.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by shameseun: 7:22pm On Jan 24, 2016
Khd95:
if u must wail,do so with sensegrin

How time flys, the ruling wailer has become the opposition wailer now.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by iPopAlomo(m): 10:09pm On Jan 24, 2016
Aminat508:
Nice one!!

Just checking up on you... been a while...
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Aminat508(f): 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Just checking up on you... been a while...
yes jare. How u dey? Bn dey busy angry
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by iPopAlomo(m): 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
Aminat508:
yes jare. How u dey? Bn dey busy angry

Lol... you can't blame me nah... you've been hiding from me...

1 Like

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Drsmith01(m): 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2016
Sowi i stopped believing anything that comes outta lie Mohammed grin grin

6 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by DankemzI(m): 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2016
It's Mr. Lai again! Viewers Discretion advised

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Firefire(m): 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
shocked shocked

“We know that those who stole us dry are powerful. They have newspapers (The Nation), radio and television stations (TVC) and an army of supporters (APC Zombies) to continuously deride the government’s war against corruption". Liar Mohammed.

Well done Alhaji Liar Mohammed. smiley

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by CR77(f): 10:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
Out of point tongue
shameseun:

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
The sad sad sad thing about these politicians is they they know what is right, they know what to do but have chosen not to do it. They would rather just pay lip service. Lai Mohammed is a nightmare to ordinary Nigerians. He can give them rat poison and beat his chest that it is milk.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by oye9ja(m): 10:54pm On Jan 24, 2016
When you get too much attention from USA, just know nothing good will come out of it for the citizens. They are maggots.

11 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by alphaconde(m): 10:55pm On Jan 24, 2016
Winning the war against corruption without development and better life to show for it is corruption itself.

Besides the americans are not suffering our government with us so I don't thing they would know when same is succeeding.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by engrlarex(m): 10:56pm On Jan 24, 2016
if uve not seen that Buhari is a blessing to Nigeria, then May God in his infinite mercies rule your life and the generation to come in your family the way Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan ruled this country within his period in office...can I hear a louder Amen!!!

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by raker300: 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Funny...a Moment ago, the same apc goons criticised the US government after they called out buhari.

Besides, the real question is: how does the "war on pdp" affect the average nigerian?
A bag of rice that used to be 6k is now 12k...thats what the average citizen like me car about

13 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by optimusprime2(m): 10:57pm On Jan 24, 2016
Well, if it's coming from the "Lie man" himself, then I don't believe it, Shikena! undecided

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by cardoctor(m): 10:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
Even my Nigerian army officer friend based in the Chad Basin confirmed it.
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by ibkgab001: 10:59pm On Jan 24, 2016
I don't know
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by cutetopsey(f): 10:59pm On Jan 24, 2016
Why is this Lai Muhammed emphasizing on US rep John Kerry endorsement as the general acceptance to the anti corruption fight of PMB as the important task or project in the Nigeria of today.

I think if the so called minister of information and culture doesn't have any information to disburse to us, then he should just keep quiet and give us better and more sensible news Jooor.....

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid of excess ugly belly fats

1 Like

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by darepoju(m): 10:59pm On Jan 24, 2016
yea nice thumbs up
Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by lincolnj88: 11:00pm On Jan 24, 2016
grin new week topic for zombies to feed on

1 Like

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by cr7lomo: 11:01pm On Jan 24, 2016
Barrister Mr liar Mohammed . Minister of. Lieing and professional propagadaism , I hail ooo

5 Likes

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by Rose2014: 11:02pm On Jan 24, 2016
Chubhie:
How come he missed comments from Donald trump.

He's Igbo not American

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: U.S. Endorsement Shows Buhari Succeeding In Fight Against Corruption – Lai by sadissbala(m): 11:04pm On Jan 24, 2016
arbitter:
What Endorsement? Honestly its really pathetic how Nigerians like to take random statements from western people and try to use it as some sort of appraisal for their politics. Like they need validation from people they consider above them (yes thats totally what it looks like).

And you havent really done anything noteworthy except make accusations and arrest a bunch of people. Which ofcourse is why the Opposition keeps whining about a so called 'Media Trial', I dont know who to blame here, is it the Media that;s annoyingly speculative and hungry for stories to make a big deal out of or is it the Govt... I really wont blame them on this because if they try to shut the media out till they actually do something worthwhile all you'd hear is whinings about how theyre silencing the press, doing secret trials blah blah. Well this is what you get then, the Media will on a daily basis spam you with recycled and non newsworthy stories which you'll then use to claim the Govt is conducting a media trial.

But whatever, i personally will just not give a shlt about what is or isnt done until 2019.
I guess you are not happy about the war against the corruption in Nigeria, simply because you are a full member of wailing wailer association of Nigeria tongue
arbitter:

I guess you are not happy about the war against the corruption in Nigeria, simply because you are a full member of wailing wailer association of Nigeria

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Our Economy Failing Because Investors Know Buhari Not In Charge-bukola Saraki / Atiku Group Begins Enlightenment Campaign In Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara / Videos Of Oshiomhole Playing With Children At Various Events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.