Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,812 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum (20962 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Chartered Institute Of Stockbrokers (CIS) Sept Diet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by TCann(m): 1:09pm On Jun 26, 2009
I guess it will be nice to share here,issues pertaining to our passion and career-FINANCE,so many things to discuss!!, i wouldnt shoot nor would i suggest a line of discussion for the thread,let all interested finance professionals and intending ones make this thread a pool to have recourse to.

Also for every non-finance person,who have one or two observations,provided they re constructive and not 'yabbish' in nature,by all means,u re welcome.

Meanwhile,this thread is also meant to serve as a general forum for people in finance,a diversionary thread from-TOP 10 INVESTMENT BANKS IN NIGERIA.

Out of our busy job schedules, lets make it work.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2009
Although the thread on Top 10 Investment Banking Institutions has done justice to the bulk of issues on CF/IB/SB, this still is a very great initiative from you, T-Cann.

I see the birth of another very educative thread on NL.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by TCann(m): 1:20pm On Jun 26, 2009
Pls,any stockbroker reading this- i mean qualified ACS or 'about to'. Is it true that Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers is about to revise its Syllabus this year?.

Also for those in the CF stream,which will u say are the best deals on the Capital mkt in the last 12 mths

Finally on eterna oil and otedola cement mgt restructuring and share IPO- what re ur views?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by TCann(m): 2:04pm On Jun 26, 2009
@Jarus
Thank you for ur comment,
true talk as regards what we have been able to achieve with TOP 10 INV BANKS IN NIGERIA., we ve all been able to learn and we re still learning.

But i became concerned about 2 things-
1st-the thread topic-TOP 10 INV BANKS IN NIGERIA, has not been couched to look broad enough to interest a larger finance audience, such as the stockbrokers and Accountants on the bloc.
2ndly-A casual finance surfer of CAREERS section may just see the thread topic-TOP 10 INV BANKS IN NIGERIA, and his curiousity may never be wet enough for him to check it up, not knowing that a whole lot of finance information and knowledge are being juggle around every minute there,even though the thread is couched-TOP 10 INV BANKS IN NIGERIA.

Not withstanding the above reservations, i wish that 'TOP 10 INV BANKS IN NIGERIA' thread be maintained and make active by our continuous ever intelligent contributions,we wont abandon it for this newbie thread.

Peace.

T-CANN
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jun 26, 2009
The Top 10 thread has actually been exhausted, and has already reached peak. I also agree with you many that many casual visitors will not know what was going on there, given the thread title.

I think this thread is long overdue and I foresee another explosive, educative and enlightening discussion.

Let the CF/IB/SB guys come and educate us.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by babalawo(m): 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2009
Great guys !!!! this promises to be a great forum coming in the wake of the global financial crises and its effects on Nigeria.

Pls to start with can we start from an investment analysis of the NSE crash?

Was there an imminent bubble on the NSE before the Global credit crunch? did the credit crunch serve as a catalyst for the crash?if yes to what extent , quantitative evidences?

If actually there was an imminent bubble was factors fueled it? are these factors still at play? do we consider the NSE competent enough to regulate the capital market and what regulation shoudl be in place to prevent or manage better any future crash? to what extent is the crash on corporate financing in Nigeria
AND SINCERELY I WILL LIKE THIS FORUM TO TRY TO DECIPHER THE RISK CURRENTLY BEING FACED BY THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR as a result of all these,
lots and loads of questions to start with

Thanks
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by TCann(m): 5:22pm On Jun 27, 2009
T-Cann:

Pls,any stockbroker reading this- i mean qualified ACS or 'about to'. Is it true that Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers is about to revise its Syllabus this year?.

Also for those in the CF stream,which will u say are the best deals on the Capital mkt in the last 12 mths

Finally on eterna oil and otedola cement mgt restructuring and share IPO- what re ur views?

Pls to start with can we start from an investment analysis of the NSE crash?

Was there an imminent bubble on the NSE before the Global credit crunch? did the credit crunch serve as a catalyst for the crash?if yes to what extent , quantitative evidences?

If actually there was an imminent bubble was factors fueled it? are these factors still at play? do we consider the NSE competent enough to regulate the capital market and what regulation shoudl be in place to prevent or manage better any future crash? to what extent is the crash on corporate financing in Nigeria
AND SINCERELY I WILL LIKE THIS FORUM TO TRY TO DECIPHER THE RISK CURRENTLY BEING FACED BY THE NIGERIAN BANKING SECTOR as a result of all these,
lots and loads of questions to start with

What say finance guys to these posers?
Lets shoot nw !! smiley
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by seunallday: 9:45am On Jun 29, 2009
CIS is currently undergoin some revamping, not heard about the change in syllabus but i know, they are trying to pass an amendment bill to change their name to Chartered Institute of Investment and Secuirites to accomodate of finance and investment professional, also they have switch to a credit system whereby u only need to rewirte the papers u failed, prior to this, u have to write the whole level if u fail more than one paper or u get below a certain mark, they also have an affiliation with ACIIA so students and graduates can take dat exam with some exemptions,

on the STock excahnge crash and NSE's competence or lack of, i wouldnt put it on the regulatory body's nect, cos we have to understand this is a largely "market forces" market, why would an inst. dat mkaes more money when high volumes are traded want the market to crash?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by babalawo(m): 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2009
seunallday:

CIS is currently undergoin some revamping, not heard about the change in syllabus but i know, they are trying to pass an amendment bill to change their name to Chartered Institute of Investment and Secuirites to accomodate of finance and investment professional, also they have switch to a credit system whereby u only need to rewirte the papers u failed, prior to this, u have to write the whole level if u fail more than one paper or u get below a certain mark, they also have an affiliation with ACIIA so students and graduates can take dat exam with some exemptions,

on the STock excahnge crash and NSE's competence or lack of, i wouldnt put it on the regulatory body's nect, cos we have to understand this is a largely "market forces" market, why would an inst. dat mkaes more money when high volumes are traded want the market to crash?

No body goes out with the intent to crash a market!!! but when the regulatory body seem not to read the lines when a bubble is brewing then sure they have the share of the blame!
we all knw that stock prices continually skyrocketed and as many nigerians believe, stocks prices can only go up and not down, the crash became impeding

But I wouldnt realy blame the naive investors cos even the banks believed that stocks can only go up if not why would a bank give a loan to someone while the same share certificate serves as a collateral!!!!. the bank's risk management system didnt ever factor in that the collateral might be worthless if the share prices went down as it now.
NOW they have lots of non perfroming/.Bad loans and they are still doctoring all these losess, again where are teh regulators??I have not seem any bank come out and say we lost this amount on the NSE crash no body is disclosing ianything,the only thing we knw is that the CBN is saying the total expsosure of the Banks all together is about 900B naira thats about 4 times the money the three tiers of Governmnet shared in May 2009!
I smell troble somewhere I pray I am wrong!!!!
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 2:23pm On Jun 29, 2009
No body goes out with the intent to crash a market!!! but when the regulatory body seem not to read the lines when a bubble is brewing then sure they have the share of the blame!
we all knw that stock prices continually skyrocketed and as many nigerians believe, stocks prices can only go up and not down, the crash became impeding

But I wouldnt realy blame the naive investors cos even the banks believed that stocks can only go up if not why would a bank give a loan to someone while the same share certificate serves as a collateral!!!!. the bank's risk management system didnt ever factor in that the collateral might be worthless if the share prices went down as it now.
NOW they have lots of non perfroming/.Bad loans and they are still doctoring all these losess, again where are teh regulators??I have not seem any bank come out and say we lost this amount on the NSE crash no body is disclosing ianything,the only thing we knw is that the CBN is saying the total expsosure of the Banks all together is about 900B naira thats about 4 times the money the three tiers of Governmnet shared in May 2009!
I smell troble somewhere I pray I am wrong!!!!

Babalawo nice one
A lot of things affected the NSE in the years under review. . .
We had a market just like you pointed out where the regulators were asleep. They were never up to speed as regards their responsibilities.

The nonexistent bullish runs we experienced were as a result of so much manipulations from the operators, regulators and traders alike.
We had a market that a single individual could affect the fortunes of a particular stock.

The awareness of the gains of investing in the NSE coincided with the capitaization of the banks which all the banks had to partake in to raise the needed 25billion to fund expansion. The buzz word then was private placements and IPO.
The excitement was so much that every dick and harry knew about the prospective gains of investing in stocks.

Initially, the upward movements were as a result of the fundmentals of the market and stocks. banks were being sold for between 5-10 and at that time, it was a good bargain judging from the outstanding shares and the results they were churning out and also thier forcasts.

The excitement grew out of hand and the awarenes moved to other sectors.
Then we had the mergers and acquisitions in the Oil and gas (downstream). The Oil moguls too started hitting the markets and the excitement at that time had reached a crescendo where if ure not an investor (either passive or active), then it looked like youre gonna have a bleak future grin grin

Guys like me made a kill of these opportunities. We had instances where PHB was bought for N9, and some other banks for less. Since then , these banks have given a lot of bonuses, dividends and of course, the inherent capital appreciation in most of the buys.
The smart investors with smart money had already cleaned out of the market and are only in the fundamentally good stocks like FBN, GTbank, AP, et al.

The excitement continued with the capitalization of the Insurance sector and at this point, the market was already getting saturated. I still remember guys cleaning out cos of the inefficiencies in the market. Bought Equity Assurance for 0.56k and sold for 3.8 in a record time. Can u imagine a stock gaining a maximum 5% for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

When a company wants to hit the market to raise fresh funds, they do all sorts to push the price up arbitrarilly in order to be able to justify whatever price they will be coming out with. Guys like me with insider information will cash in on this and make 'gains'
Guys on the streets will jump on the train when the train is about coming to an abrupt end!
Guys lose out!! As a result of this and more, the confidence in the market started to wane gradually

Another factor is the ability of unprofitable and illegal coys to trade effectively on the NSE. We had cases of coys like Capital oil, Afro Oil trading on the stock market with no visibile accounts, offices and no signs of any commercial activities going on in the aforementioned companies. Interestingly, these coys were much more valuable on the market than some fundamentally tested companies. or how do you explain a coy like Afroil selling for about N15 without any audited accounts for 3 years!!
No visible trade lines, no visible business and they were selling far more than say Access Bank at that time shocked shocked shocked

The sluggish regulator sudddenly wakes up to her responsibilities after millions of Nigerians have jumped on the moving train once again!! They jumped on the Afroil train because a week will not pass without these coys posting impressive bullish runs.
However, the irregularities in these coys were discovered and the regulators without prior warnings decided to freeze all activities in these quoted companies with plenty millions of Naira from the unsuspecting public in frozen
yet again, the investor confidence in an emerging stock market continues to wane!!!!!!

Apparently, we had a lot of foreign investors that had come to dump thier billions in our market as a way of improving on the lean margins they were used to in the developed countries. The NSE then was posting impressive returns and it will be foolhardy for any smart investor not to come and invest in Nigeria. These stupidly smart investors came into the country through our banks and horay, we had too much funds within the banking system.

Our banks yet happy again to have access to huge funds started Retail banking at the speed of light. Awash with cash, the bullish runs on the NSE; the banks devised so many credit systems that found their way to the stockmarket floor of the NSE.
Margin lines were created by these banks to lend to customers to trade/invest short and long term.
Nobody envisaged any problems and alas, their came the subprime problems in the US, the financial crisis that culminated in the meltdown in the west!

At a point, we thought the Nigerian market was insulated to the happenings in the developed economies but it wasnt long enough that the bubble started bursting even in Nigeria.
The foreign banks that came with so much money had to run to Nigeria to take out their funds and hence the fatal stockmarket crash in nigeria.
It was so fatal that some companies that were valued at more than N20 now go for less than N2.

Its unfortunate that with the colossal loss of capital that had taken place, some of our banks are still posting very impressive results
one begin to wonder where all the money they lost to the margin accounts, the credit cards and the direct investment they did on the NSE are not affecting thier results?

For those that have chosen to learn from the NSE imbroglio, it is high time we started making informed decisions as to what and where to invest and where to keep your money.
Do not be deceived that some of our banks cant go under. Wachovia and L.Brothers have gone under and they were bigger than our banks all together.

This is not trying to be a naysayer but just wondering aloud why we have so much prosperity in the banks even in the face of what had happened to their hard earned funds in the NSE

I hope the CBN is not following the footsteps of the SEC and NSE
The CBN should be up and doing to save the Nation from any impending banking crisis.

1 Like

Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Redfox(m): 6:06pm On Jun 29, 2009
how does the fee structure for CIS level 1 look like.CIS WILL GOES FOR A NEW CHARTER CISI AND A CONTACTING MEMBER ACIIA

Top level management decisions could be detrimental to the macro economy,turning bear market to bull market vice versa.amid the plague of liquidity trap the puzzle remains unsolved.how do we restore confidence to the market once more?

Bsc econs, what are the fee requirements both for registration,exemption and examination.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by NobiGod: 8:55am On Jun 30, 2009
At last TBK prove his potential here with a well crafted analysis. Unlike his usual slice and dice
contributions.

Keep it up!
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by seunallday: 9:13am On Jun 30, 2009
@TBK, nice points, but dont forget that throughout this period, NSE had an incentive to turn a blind eye, cos volume was hitting 7 billion then, and for an inst. dat makes its money from commissions, gaskiya, well, all dat is wat i call a messy past, a lotta pple got thier hands burnt and unfortunately like u said, it was the guys dat came in too late.

i really would blame everybody and nobody for the crash, cos it was a constellation of issues dat ruined the market, but the market aint dead yet, we all have to move on from there and look for the next killer stock. grin

on the banks still postin impressive results, bros, dat is wat baffles me, dont forget dat all dose american banks were still postin impressive results, hidin liabilities until the final bubble burst, i feel a lotta dem r not givin full disclosure of their liabilities and bad debts, and the bubble may finally burst, but the economy cannot afford dat so im sure they have CBN's and the govt's full support since our president's "development plan" is fully anchored on the financial sector.

@redfox, u must have registered since january if u plan to write september diet, u'l spend 10k for reg, about 15k for exemptions, 20k fro the exams, bsc econs, u will be exempted from 2 courses in l1 and do 3, go to thier website and dl the syllabus for more info, www.cisnigeria,com
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 9:21am On Jun 30, 2009
Seullallday
My Guy. I understand your points perfectly.
We all decided to turn a blind eye to the happenings

I cant remember how many times i CICO Afroil and some other stocks that had nothin to show
Rode BigTreat to the maximum Ethera and even Costain. Normally, these are stocks i wouldnt touch but the volumes just like you said will make anybody go bonkers.

Im still in the market but you can only find me in stocks like UBA, Zenith GT and co
i no dey do CICO and RIRO again till. . . grin grin

@NobiGod
grin grin u no serious
why u sef come dey do slice and dice posting na grin grin
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by babalawo(m): 11:35am On Jun 30, 2009
seunallday:

@TBK, nice points, but don't forget that throughout this period, NSE had an incentive to turn a blind eye, cos volume was hitting 7 billion then, and for an inst. dat makes its money from commissions, gaskiya, well, all dat is wat i call a messy past, a lotta pple got thier hands burnt and unfortunately like u said, it was the guys dat came in too late.

i really would blame everybody and nobody for the crash, cos it was a constellation of issues dat ruined the market, but the market aint dead yet, we all have to move on from there and look for the next killer stock. grin

on the banks still postin impressive results, bros, dat is wat baffles me, dont forget dat all dose american banks were still postin impressive results, hidin liabilities until the final bubble burst, i feel a lotta dem r not givin full disclosure of their liabilities and bad debts, and the bubble may finally burst, but the economy cannot afford dat so im sure they have CBN's and the govt's full support since our president's "development plan" is fully anchored on the financial sector.

@redfox, u must have registered since january if u plan to write september diet, u'l spend 10k for reg, about 15k for exemptions, 20k fro the exams, bsc econs, u will be exempted from 2 courses in l1 and do 3, go to thier website and dl the syllabus for more info, www.cisnigeria,com

Nice one all.

Thanks tkb417 for being incisive!

But what really saddens is that the while other countries are learning from the past mistakes and putting appropriate measures on ground for a more effective regulation,we here at home are just sitting down doing nothing. No body is talking about getting the system more regulated.

Seundally said the government cant allow this to happen,I bet if the full force of these exposures come down,the government will be dead helpless and at the end of the day we all pay the price ! who wants to buy the dollar for 500 naira!!!!!!!!!
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by NobiGod: 11:58am On Jun 30, 2009
TBK U know say this topic is above my paygrade. I just don't want U to

continuing dull yaself. D'Banj say : Osi na nwata buru ogaranya

Translation: rich from childhood
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by seunallday: 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2009
lol CICO ke, now the market is operating the way its supposed to be.
[quote ]
Nice one all.

But what really saddens is that the while other countries are learning from the past mistakes and putting
appropriate measures on ground for a more effective regulation,we here at home are just sitting down doing nothing. No body is talking about getting the system more regulated.

Seundally said the government cant allow this to happen,I bet if the full force of these exposures come down,the government will be dead helpless and at the end of the day we all pay the price ! who wants to buy the dollar for 500 naira!!!!!!!!!
[quote][/quote]

bros, dats the sad part ooo,
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by seunallday: 1:32pm On Jul 03, 2009
hi all, does anyone have any info on cowry assets,, entry level pay, corporate finance activites, etc?, hola at me pls, or mail me on seunallday@yahoo.co.uk, tanks y'all
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by TCann(m): 4:11pm On Jul 16, 2009
This might interest CIS students on d thread that were not present at the NATIONAL STUDENTS FORUM held at the Ikeja Airport Hotel some weeks ago.

CIS ANNOUNCES NEW EXAMINATION STRUCTURE
- June 17, 2009

EXAMINATION SCHEME

The new CIS examination program cover all the important topics related to securities and investment, stockbrokerage and portfolio management. The broad areas in which the body of knowledge is developed and the candidates will be examined, are divided into Two Levels.

Level 1: The Level 1 examination will have 4 Papers of 3 hours duration each. The Level 1 Exam format will consist of multiple choice, calculation, and discursive and short essay questions. This examination will test the basic knowledge and understanding of the areas of study.

Level 2: The Level 2 examination will have 4 Papers of 3 hours duration each. This examination will test in depth, knowledge and practical application of all subjects covered.

After meeting the conditions for admission as Associates, successful graduates will be admitted to full membership of the Institute as Associates.

After successful completion of the Level 2, the CIS candidates will be eligible to sit for the final examination of ACIIA if they wish to do so when CIS is admitted as a member by ACIIA.

The areas to be covered under all the 2 levels of the National Examination Program, with different degree of depth and coverage are as follows:

• Financial Accounting and Financial Statement Analysis

• Economics and Financial markets

• Quantitative Techniques

• Corporate Finance

• Equity Valuation and Analysis

• Fixed Income Valuation and Analysis

• Derivative Valuation Analysis

• Portfolio Management

• Commodity Trading and Futures

• Ethics and Professional Standards

• Law relating to securities and investments

• Regulation of Securities and Corporate Finance

(NB-the new syllabus will be flagged off by the 2010 sept diet)

CIS INTRODUCES CREDIT SYSTEM

The Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers (CIS) has issued the results of the last sitting of the March Professional exams, saying that the pass rate was not encouraging in Level 2 but was fair in Levels 1 and 3. Level 1 exam consists of 5 papers while Levels 2 and 3 have 4 papers each. The general poor performance was attributed to inadequate preparations on the part of the candidates.

To ease the burden of performance due to the rigorous nature and the high standards CIS demands, in their meeting of Thursday, May 14, 2009, the Governing Council approved the introduction of the credit system for its professional examinations starting from September 2009 diet after considering the positive effects it would have on performances of the students taking the examinations.

The credit system will allow candidates to retain any examination paper passed in the professional examination levels of the CIS qualification. Candidates are required to complete an examination level before attempting the next examination level. They are not allowed to combine two levels of the examination at any sitting.

A candidate will be required to enter for all the examination papers in each examination level. No candidate will be allowed to apply to sit for one examination paper unless the other examination papers have been previously passed or exempted.

Under the referral system which was operated till March 2009, students were referred in not more than two subjects provided they achieved certain minimum marks. They were also required to pass the referred examination papers in the following two examination diets otherwise they had to repeat the entire examination subjects.

The new policy now makes it possible for the students to keep those papers they pass and write the remaining papers at their own convenient time subject to passing the entire exam within a period of eight years. This is a welcome relief for students given the rigorous nature of the examination. It will also go a long way in improving the pass rate in the examination.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by AjanleKoko: 10:17am On Mar 29, 2010
Decided to bring this thread back.
Everybody went quiet. Is there still life in this sector post-meltdown?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by DRogue(m): 7:13pm On Mar 29, 2010
About time the thread gets back. Thinking of coming down to Nig. to sink my teeth into some meat (if any left!). Currently on a 1st in Economics and Finance and a closet entrepreneur focusing on disruptive business models.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by violent(m): 9:21pm On Mar 29, 2010
Its good to know this thread is coming back alive!
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 9:33am On Mar 30, 2010
so where is T-Cann?
lets jaw jaw cheesy

can we discuss some of the fiscal policies by our regulators as it affects business in the financial market
so who takes the first shot?

how can i get Biina here? dudu knows how to stir up convos
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by DisGuy: 11:36am On Mar 30, 2010
tkb417:

Babalawo nice one
A lot of things affected the NSE in the years under review. . .
We had a market just like you pointed out where the regulators were asleep. They were never up to speed as regards their responsibilities.

The nonexistent bullish runs we experienced were as a result of so much manipulations from the operators, regulators and traders alike.
We had a market that a single individual could affect the fortunes of a particular stock.

The awareness of the gains of investing in the NSE coincided with the capitaization of the banks which all the banks had to partake in to raise the needed 25billion to fund expansion. The buzz word then was private placements and IPO.
The excitement was so much that every manliness and harry knew about the prospective gains of investing in stocks.

Initially, the upward movements were as a result of the fundmentals of the market and stocks. banks were being sold for between 5-10 and at that time, it was a good bargain judging from the outstanding shares and the results they were churning out and also thier forcasts.

The excitement grew out of hand and the awarenes moved to other sectors.
Then we had the mergers and acquisitions in the Oil and gas (downstream). The Oil moguls too started hitting the markets and the excitement at that time had reached a crescendo where if ure not an investor (either passive or active), then it looked like youre gonna have a bleak future grin grin

Guys like me made a kill of these opportunities. We had instances where PHB was bought for N9, and some other banks for less. Since then , these banks have given a lot of bonuses, dividends and of course, the inherent capital appreciation in most of the buys.
The smart investors with smart money had already cleaned out of the market and are only in the fundamentally good stocks like FBN, GTbank, AP, et al.

The excitement continued with the capitalization of the Insurance sector and at this point, the market was already getting saturated. I still remember guys cleaning out cos of the inefficiencies in the market. Bought Equity Assurance for 0.56k and sold for 3.8 in a record time. Can u imagine a stock gaining a maximum 5% for 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

When a company wants to hit the market to raise fresh funds, they do all sorts to push t[/b]he price up arbitrarilly in order to be able to justify whatever price they will be coming out with. Guys like me with insider information will cash in on this and make 'gains'
Guys on the streets will jump on the train when the train is about coming to an abrupt end!
Guys lose out!! As a result of this and more, the confidence in the market started to wane gradually

Another factor is[b] the ability of unprofitable and illegal coys to trade effectively on the NSE
. We had cases of coys like Capital oil, Afro Oil trading on the stock market with no visibile accounts, offices and no signs of any commercial activities going on in the aforementioned companies. Interestingly, these coys were much more valuable on the market than some fundamentally tested companies. or how do you explain a coy like Afroil selling for about N15 without any audited accounts for 3 years!!
No visible trade lines, no visible business and they were selling far more than say Access Bank at that time shocked shocked shocked

The sluggish regulator sudddenly wakes up to her responsibilities after millions of Nigerians have jumped on the moving train once again!! They jumped on the Afroil train because a week will not pass without these coys posting impressive bullish runs.
However, the irregularities in these coys were discovered and the regulators without prior warnings decided to freeze all activities in these quoted companies with plenty millions of Naira from the unsuspecting public in frozen
yet again, the investor confidence in an emerging stock market continues to wane!!!!!!

Apparently, we had a lot of foreign investors that had come to dump thier billions in our market as a way of improving on the lean margins they were used to in the developed countries. The NSE then was posting impressive returns and it will be foolhardy for any smart investor not to come and invest in Nigeria. These stupidly smart investors came into the country through our banks and horay, we had too much funds within the banking system.

Our banks yet happy again to have access to huge funds started Retail banking at the speed of light. Awash with cash, the bullish runs on the NSE; the banks devised so many credit systems that found their way to the stockmarket floor of the NSE.
Margin lines were created by these banks to lend to customers to trade/invest short and long term.
Nobody envisaged any problems and alas, their came the subprime problems in the US, the financial crisis that culminated in the meltdown in the west!

At a point, we thought the Nigerian market was insulated to the happenings in the developed economies but it wasnt long enough that the bubble started bursting even in Nigeria.
The foreign banks that came with so much money had to run to Nigeria to take out their funds and hence the fatal stockmarket crash in nigeria.
It was so fatal that some companies that were valued at more than N20 now go for less than N2.

Its unfortunate that with the colossal loss of capital that had taken place, some of our banks are still posting very impressive results
one begin to wonder where all the money they lost to the margin accounts, the credit cards and the direct investment they did on the NSE are not affecting thier results?

For those that have chosen to learn from the NSE imbroglio, it is high time we started making informed decisions as to what and where to invest and where to keep your money.
Do not be deceived that some of our banks cant go under. Wachovia and L.Brothers have gone under and they were bigger than our banks all together.

This is not trying to be a naysayer but just wondering aloud why we have so much prosperity in the banks even in the face of what had happened to their hard earned funds in the NSE

I hope the CBN is not following the footsteps of the SEC and NSE
The CBN should be up and doing to save the Nation from any impending banking crisis.
grin grin

was reading this yesterday and I thought back to the thread on Sanusi shattering confidence in the banking sector,
I laugh in co.ckney grin
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by DisGuy: 11:38am On Mar 30, 2010
babalawo:

Nice one all.

But what really saddens is that the while other countries are learning from the past mistakes and putting appropriate measures on ground for a more effective regulation,we here at home are just sitting down doing nothing. No body is talking about getting the system more regulated.

tkb417:

so where is T-Cann?
lets jaw jaw cheesy

can we discuss some of the fiscal policies by our regulators as it affects business in the financial market
so who takes the first shot?

how can i get Biina here? dudu knows how to stir up convos

I'll Send him the link
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 11:47am On Mar 30, 2010
Nice one Dis Guy

what time is that program on ur siggy?

meanwhile, im sure we all know CBN's intervention is totally on point.
But do you think the SEC and NSE are really working in tandem with the CBN in ensuring the intervention is a lasting one

I dont believe in those SEC guys mehn
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by violent(m): 1:15pm On Mar 30, 2010
what bothers me more is the effect all these will have on credit intermediation in the country and its subsequent effect on small cap industries

But i believe investing on the NSE might be a gold mine with many companies having extremely low P/E ratios as well as strong growth fundamentals evident in the fact that a lot of them are shedding off their fixed costs components, it only points out to the fact that future ROI as well as ROE will be a plus for investors. I really hope folks will take advantage of these opportunities.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 1:40pm On Mar 30, 2010
violent:

what bothers me more is the effect all these will have on credit intermediation in the country and its subsequent effect on small cap industries

But i believe investing on the NSE might be a gold mine with many companies having extremely low P/E ratios as well as strong growth fundamentals evident in the fact that a lot of them are shedding off their fixed costs components, it only points out to the fact that future ROI as well as ROE will be a plus for investors. I really hope folks will take advantage of these opportunities.
I agree some of the companies are undervalued as as result of past occurences but am i gonna invest in a market that has got no bearing? Let me create a sceneario

you invest in Bank A cos the bank is extremely undervalued and because of the new happenings in the financial landscape a la CBN intervention and the new Management on board. 7 months down the line, CBN comes with another round of its intermediation to further clense the system of the past problems and the ever vigilant 9ja investors run back to the market to offload thereby putting more pressure on the stock in question. will you say your investment is a good one?

i have been having series of debates with ma colleagues over this cos i am heavily invested in some of these banks just b4 Sanusi came with his sledge hammer. To some schools, the banks will come good in 3-4 years time, to others, these banks are unhealthy and will be auctioned very soon. Can someone really use these PE ratios and the other technical indicators to meaure what to buy in this present climate?
i dont think so except ure in for many many years
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by violent(m): 3:07pm On Mar 30, 2010
tkb417:

I agree some of the companies are undervalued as as result of past occurences but am i gonna invest in a market that has got no bearing? Let me create a sceneario

you invest in Bank A cos the bank is extremely undervalued and because of the new happenings in the financial landscape a la CBN intervention and the new Management on board. 7 months down the line, CBN comes with another round of its intermediation to further clense the system of the past problems and the ever vigilant 9ja investors run back to the market to offload thereby putting more pressure on the stock in question. will you say your investment is a good one?

i have been having series of debates with ma colleagues  over this cos i am heavily invested in some of these banks just b4 Sanusi came with his sledge hammer. To some schools, the banks will come good in 3-4 years time, to others, these banks are unhealthy and will be auctioned very soon. Can someone really use these PE ratios and the other technical indicators to meaure what to buy in this present climate?
i dont think so except ure in for many many years

Well, without doubt am sure you know more than i do that the world of finance is in all entirety a risk return trade off, you can either take the risk that volatility on the NSE will remain constant for a while and then take the plunge in your investment.

The situation the way i see it is just a little different from investing in junk securities with high returns and high risk!

In as much as investment opportunities on the NSE looks a little dim and rovers with a lot of uncertainty, the CBN reforms so far has reverted prices back to their fundamentals, many of the prices currently reflects greatly the individual company performance except a for  few undervalued ones which are mostly influenced by the current economical state of the country as well as investors irrationality.

I believe the current reforms as well as regulators policies will only make the NSE stronger, and this will earn a lot of trust and confidence from investors globally.

If the news of possible Acquisition is true, this should have been reflective in the stock price which is expected to jump at the arrival of such news, except maybe the NSE is the only exchange that defies all  laws of an Efficient Market.

My investment strategy will be to identify good Large value stocks in the Financial, technology as well as Manufacturing sectors
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 3:13pm On Mar 30, 2010
were you on NL when we had the old stock market thread?

i think there are news going on about possible acquisitions here and there but no one is sure which of them will be acquired.

and for ur last line, how active are you on the NSE?

did u make a 'kill' when the market was booming cos i did.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by violent(m): 3:22pm On Mar 30, 2010
I really wish i made a mad "kill" during the stock market boom, i was just too skeptical then

And just so you know, am hating on you big time, . . . seems you have some good insider info

Isn't insider information trading prohibited in Naija? Most exchange have laws against it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please Help!! I Wish To Be More Productive To Myself / How To Be Successful In Life / Help! How Do I Become A Pilot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.