Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,997 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum (20975 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Chartered Institute Of Stockbrokers (CIS) Sept Diet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by madlady(f): 11:50am On Jul 23, 2010
tkb417:

call one of the banks in Nigeria and dont talk to Jaybee

i hope they still have them cos im thinkin of doin one myself

ma portfolio is showing danger signs and i need to tone down on ma risk appetiite

who be these una doctor friends o

OK. Thanks.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 11:57am On Jul 23, 2010
jay bee:

Not your regular share dealing hun.
spread betting. you sort of trade/predict movement of the stock market. This can be fairly easy via technical analysis and understanding of financial market's fundamentals.

Sadly, i only do private tutoring grin grin grin grin still interested tongue tongue

Is this in the Naija market?? If so where do u get the charts, cos i'd be interested, although as Tolulope pointed out before, this means money can only be made from stock that is trending upwards, right?

I did a pseudo course on US equity options trading but never actually started, methinks 2010 might be a good year to begin,

tkb417 u into equity trading too?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by jaybee3(m): 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2010
lawuyi:

Is this in the Naija market?? If so where do u get the charts, cos i'd be interested, although as Tolulope pointed out before, this means money can only be made from stock that is trending upwards, right?

I did a pseudo course on US equity options trading but never actually started, methinks 2010 might be a good year to begin,

naija market ke grin grin grin strictly european, US and asia (japan and aussie)
charts widely available.
U can trade both trends. U can either be a bull or a bear.
Growth is slow at the moment so being a bull is only worthwile in undervalued market so dats where ur techical analysis comes into play.

Coomodity (gold, oil, wheat, soybean et al) can be seasonal so get in at the right time to make your kill. U with me

@tkb
why u dey scare madlady na. Make she come do private tutoring

@madlady
u know how we do wink wink
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 12:39pm On Jul 23, 2010
lawuyi:

till late 2008. (made some money tho)

im doing other things for now cheesy

jay bee:

naija market ke grin grin grin strictly european, US and asia (japan and aussie)
charts widely available.
U can trade both trends. U can either be a bull or a bear.
Growth is slow at the moment so being a bull is only worthwile in undervalued market so dats where your techical analysis comes into play.

Coomodity (gold, oil, wheat, soybean et al) can be seasonal so get in at the right time to make your kill. U with me

@tkb
why u dey scare madlady na. Make she come do private tutoring

@madlady
u know how we do wink wink
im sure lawuyi understands u perfectly
hes a finance guru

leave madlady alone ooo
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 1:05pm On Jul 23, 2010
C_JAY:

Lets learn from our counterparts in the west by not making the same mistakes they did. If we are creating products let them have some real use/utility and not just to score quick gains to shore up the bottom line that may eventually go belly up long term.

We will get there, the shorts and hedgies will come, our financial sector would evolve and liquiditiy will flow naturally. But I rather we grow the sector organically. Comparing the NSE with NYSE or any top exchange isn't fair in my view. We are still trying to cope with run of the mill issues here that swinging rocket science just doesn't seem sustainable to me.

I think being able to hedge and short stock will actually streghten and deepen the market.

Like i have reiterated before. you don't need to do this things at the exchange level in the first instance. An investment bank can act as a Market maker and structure these products and market it to people/companies that idenfify a need for it. An IB structring this will obviously hedge its position to ensure its market neutral or they could do it based on a particular trading strategy.

Something like this is dead easy to do right now in the current market.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2010
candylips:

I think being able to hedge and short stock will actually streghten and deepen the market.

Like i have reiterated before. you don't need to do this things at the exchange level in the first instance. An investment bank can act as a Market maker and structure these products and market it to people/companies that idenfify a need for it. An IB structring this will obviously hedge its position to ensure its market neutral or they could do it based on a particular trading strategy.

Something like this is dead easy to do right now in the current market.

Then come home and forget the AGM position chief,  let's setup shop selling protection and options to all the speculators and hedgers here now  cheesy We'll remain market neutral and be picking up our pennies from premiums and spreads, abi tkb, how u check am? Although my finance prof's words of "never sell options, only buy" keeps ringing in my head sha undecided

tkb417:

im doing other things for now cheesy
im sure lawuyi understands u perfectly
hes a finance guru

leave madlady alone ooo

Guru sha!! Na im dem no dey quote me every day for FT and Business Day?? Baba i'm just a young man that's hungry for relevance and success, and who wouldn't mind picking up a few billions along the way wink
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 1:53pm On Jul 23, 2010
lawuyi:

Then come home and forget the AGM position chief,  let's setup shop selling protection and options to all the speculators and hedgers here now  cheesy We'll remain market neutral and be picking up our pennies from premiums and spreads, abi tkb, how u check am? Although my finance prof's words of "never sell options, only buy" keeps ringing in my head sha undecided

Your prof is wrong.  grin

A trader's best kept secret is this. .  . 

best way of boosting your P&L is by selling short dated out of the money options.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by YOMISAP: 6:45pm On Jul 23, 2010
Dear Professionals,

On march 2010, the Nigerian house of senate approved Business Analysis into the main stream of professional body and also approved to use the designated word "Chattered". This approval presents an opportunity to the interested and qualified Nigerians to augment their professional portfolio with internationally recognized Business Analysis certification.

Business Analysts are required in every organization as they provide tremendous value to the growth and continuity of the Business. With a Business Analysis Expert, an organization is well positioned even in the face of fiece competition. A Business Analyst review the business scope, strategy and future goal and reccomend the best strategy to initiate for the ultimate realization of the organizational objectives.

Business Analysts are in high demand and their value is never under-estimated across the continent.

In lieu of the above, Abaster Consulting and Training Ltd, a subsidiary of Abaster Consulting firm Canada has been approved by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) to offer Business Analysis program in Nigeria . IIBA is the body that regulates Business Analysis in the world.
For more information please send us an email at info@abasterconsulting.com.

Our SAP Training cut across all modules!!! Thanks
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Tolulop001(f): 12:22am On Jul 24, 2010
u people dan pass me oh!
tkb ur laughing at my lingo, crappy abi! now im going to be silent from now on! embarassed
*watching from the sidelines*
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Aishabee(f): 3:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
Hi guys, really an interesting site i dnt mind if sum of the "profs" hia can offer free tutorial on investment analysis. grin

Really luking forward to leaving the telecoms industry( e don tire me ojere) i want to divert into the investment world, any1 heard about Lotus Capital halal investment how well they are doing in lagos cos they just opened an office in abuja and i'm interested.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by madlady(f): 3:44pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aishabee:

Hi guys, really an interesting site i dnt mind if sum of the "profs" hia can offer free tutorial on [b]investment analysis. grin

Really luking forward to leaving the telecoms industry( e don tire me ojere) i want to divert into the investment world, any1 heard about Lotus Capital halal investment how well they are doing in lagos cos they just opened an office in abuja and i'm interested.

Following avidly. cool cool
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by jaybee3(m): 3:59pm On Jul 28, 2010
I also need free tutorials embarassed
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 4:03pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aishabee:

Hi guys, really an interesting site i dnt mind if sum of the "profs" hia can offer free tutorial on investment analysis. grin

what kind of tutorial are u looking at.

is it on how to invest in stocks?

or how to analyze investment opportunities of any asset class?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by jaybee3(m): 4:04pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^ heheheeh what abt my cry for help
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Aishabee(f): 4:13pm On Jul 28, 2010
i believe there will be basic principles behind investment analysis for Pro, for strt mutual fund, open end/close end funds sims like latin grin

You can strt from sum where , im familiar with risk vs return cool
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 4:43pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aishabee:

yeah, i know the owner and the woman who runs it

i know about their ethical fund and i think i worked on somethn with them last year

im sure they'll take u since ure a muslim grin grin
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 4:46pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aishabee:

i believe there will be basic principles behind investment analysis for Pro, for strt mutual fund, open end/close end funds sims like latin grin

i think we might not be able to be explicit in explaining the details cos most of us have challenging schedules (dont mind the number of posts i have o)

what ill suggest is you hit sites like www.investopedia.com and read up

whatever you dont understand, u can come back and ask questions

@candylips and Jaybee
can u guys give her more sites apart from investopedia
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Aishabee(f): 4:48pm On Jul 28, 2010
i 'll be so happi, dis has bin a life long dream , Halal career grin

I ve been reading on islam investment/finance/economy, May God help me secure the job
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 4:55pm On Jul 28, 2010
^^^ amen grin
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 7:29pm On Jul 28, 2010
Aishabee:

Shouldn't be too big a deal to help out but as tkb says we have to be a little specific here, perhaps you guys can be a little more specific on the areas u r interested in and we can then provide some info, i've got some ebooks on valuations and financial modeling with excel that should be pretty explanatory although most of em presume a little prior knowledge of basic accounting and economics,

I'd also suggest you join finance3.0 (www.finance30.com), it's a social networking site for finance types and provides loads of info on all aspects of finance and accounting, but i'd also suggest you start getting ready to pay for some of this stuff, go to lanterna and buy some books or better yet if u can find someone to bring books back for u, buy on amazon, u'll get good value for money wink

just my 2cents, i'll try to attach the ebooks later tonight

1 Like

Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 8:55am On Jul 29, 2010
thanks lawuyi

i think the attachment would be helpful for her and others like tolulops

thanks
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Tolulop001(f): 10:16am On Jul 29, 2010
thanks tkb417 cheesy
@ lawuyi that would be very kind, i joined the finance 3.0 yesterday and it makes a lot of sense, i even started contributing to discussions! Plus im actually quite interested in this financial modeling, i think the fact that i had no clue as to what it means has whet my appetite!
waiting patiently for the attaatchments smiley
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Aishabee(f): 11:00am On Jul 29, 2010
I must a say a big thank you to you guys, i used investopedia (CFA Notes on the site) for my last exams for office reading, and i have quiet a couple of other finance sites finance 3.0 inclusive that i signed up for free newsletter just that i was never serious with them.

I'm really taking my time now to explore and read as much as i can.Will focus on yahoo finance for now.

I really appreciate every1's response, smiley
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mrjingles(m): 11:56pm On Jul 31, 2010
Hi guys,
On abuja commodities exchange, the story so far aint too good, there are lots of stuff to be put in place. Warehousing, product standards, etc. If i do a deal for 500 bushels or mudus or derica or whatever measure of maize, there has to be that quantity sitting in some warehouse somwhere. Those structures are not in place yet.

Talking about hedging instruments, our equities market is still inefficient we must bcome efficient before sophisticated stuff comes in. As suggested, the banks and big coys can kick start with b2b transactions/instruments but i doubt their capacity to pull it off. We surely need market makers to provide liquidity in the equities market, lots of rich pickings for banks there but they may not have the skill set to exploit it.
Just my tots, sorry if i repeat anything that has been said, just discovered this thread.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2010
hey y'all, sorry i just went silent for a while there, my access to the net has been sporadic this week.
Wanted to attach the pdfs for valuation and modeling just now and just noticed that the attachment limit here on NL is 200Kb which is absolutely nothing cos these files are 8MB n 6MB respectively, so sorry but looks like i can't do it sad

Tolulop001:
Plus im actually quite interested in this financial modeling, i think the fact that i had no clue as to what it means has whet my appetite!
waiting patiently for the attaatchments smiley

Modeling is just building a dynamic spreadsheet that allows you forecast and usually value a firm's cash flows and earnings based on projections for its future. I think every analyst should b able to do it and though it's sometimes a lot of guesstimation u need to be able to put a model with varying scenarios out there if u r serious about looking for money or support for ur idea, wink

sorry again about the files,

BTW does anyone know any one site on the internet where i can get historical information on Nigerian macro indices (inflation, GDP growth, sectoral/industry growth and contribution to GDP) as well as general industry (market share of industry participants, growth in market share etc) and company information (share prices, valuation multiples, earnings figures, asset and debt figures), all historical for say 10years minimum and all on the same site?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 7:41pm On Aug 01, 2010
mrjingles:

Hi guys,
On abuja commodities exchange, the story so far aint too good, there are lots of stuff to be put in place. Warehousing, product standards, etc. If i do a deal for 500 bushels or mudus or derica or whatever measure of maize, there has to be that quantity sitting in some warehouse somwhere. Those structures are not in place yet.

Talking about hedging instruments, our equities market is still inefficient we must bcome efficient before sophisticated stuff comes in. As suggested, the banks and big coys can kick start with b2b transactions/instruments but i doubt their capacity to pull it off. We surely need market makers to provide liquidity in the equities market, lots of rich pickings for banks there but they may not have the skill set to exploit it.
Just my tots, sorry if i repeat anything that has been said, just discovered this thread.

thanks for the Abuja info, n i think u r spot on with the need for b2b transactions
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by AlexD2: 8:52pm On Aug 01, 2010
lawuyi:

hey y'all, sorry i just went silent for a while there, my access to the net has been sporadic this week.
Wanted to attach the pdfs for valuation and modeling just now and just noticed that the attachment limit here on NL is 200Kb which is absolutely nothing cos these files are 8MB n 6MB respectively, so sorry but looks like i can't do it

You could use a file sharing site like http://sendspace.com it's free and completely legal. I'm sure there are lots who would benefit from the information. Thanks
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 10:20pm On Aug 01, 2010
lawuyi:

Modeling is just building a dynamic spreadsheet that allows you forecast and usually value a firm's cash flows and earnings based on projections for its future. I think every analyst should b able to do it and though it's sometimes a lot of guesstimation u need to be able to put a model with varying scenarios out there if u r serious about looking for money or support for your idea, wink

actually financial modelling in more than just building spreadsheets. wink
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mrjingles(m): 10:10am On Aug 02, 2010
^^ I agree, spreadsheet is actually a tool for modelling. The model itself refers to the formulae you build to analyse and forecast financial performance or valuation of securities, I think grin
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by Tolulop001(f): 11:25am On Aug 02, 2010
lawuyi:

Modeling is just building a dynamic spreadsheet that allows you forecast and usually value a firm's cash flows and earnings based on projections for its future. I think every analyst should b able to do it and though it's sometimes a lot of guesstimation u need to be able to put a model with varying scenarios out there if u r serious about looking for money or support for your idea,   wink

sorry again about the files,

thanks lawuyi for the info, i discussed with a friend of mine and what she said is similar to your explanation above. it sounds quite straighforward undecided dunno sha.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mrjingles(m): 11:52am On Aug 02, 2010
Am looking for a place in lag to learn advanced modelling with MS excel, any idea anyone?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 12:24pm On Aug 02, 2010
mrjingles:

Am looking for a place in lag to learn advanced modelling with MS excel, any idea anyone?
David Brown Consulting
Wall Street prep
workforce
Phillips Consulting Limited

Cant remember others again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please Help!! I Wish To Be More Productive To Myself / Before You Accept That GROSS Salary, Here's Are Steps To Calculate Your Net Pay / How To Be Successful In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.