Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:01 PM

Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum (20898 Views)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Chartered Institute Of Stockbrokers (CIS) Sept Diet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by AlexD2: 12:25pm On Aug 02, 2010
If you read through http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/ you should get a good grip of modelling and valuations.Apparently he's a wizard who lectures wall street new recruits and he's also a proffessor at NYU Stern.

Modelling varies from firm to firm but this at least allows you get a grip of what it's about. Also good command of excel is very important.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mrjingles(m): 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2010
Thanks Tkb417 and Alex my excel skills aint too bad but need to get better to do modelling properly.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by lawuyi(m): 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
Is wall street prep available in naij??
And has anyone actually been to the workforce modelling course??
How decent is it?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 5:41pm On Aug 02, 2010
lawuyi:

Is wall street prep available in naij??
And has anyone actually been to the workforce modelling course??
How decent is it?
wall street prep has been training peeps in Lagos. they keep sending me invites and oh yeah, i trained with Dbrown

as far back as 2007, i did some excel stuff with workforce. just ok
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 7:24pm On Aug 02, 2010
mrjingles:

Am looking for a place in lag to learn advanced modelling with MS excel, any idea anyone?

also try to buy books on financial modeling. there are loads on amazon
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mrjingles(m): 7:28pm On Aug 02, 2010
^^ Now why didnt i think of that, thanks man I will check it out
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by akom: 10:34pm On Aug 18, 2010
Tbk/Lawuyi i have been following your posts and believe you guys are go to guys for information on the IB space in naija. I am a CFA level 3 candidate and i think you guys can help with links to get an investment banking job in naija. I would really appreciate it if you guys can link me up.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 7:53am On Aug 19, 2010
akom:

Tbk/Lawuyi i have been following your posts and believe you guys are go to guys for information on the IB space in naija. I am a CFA level 3 candidate and i think you guys can help with links to get an investment banking job in naija. I would really appreciate it if you guys can link me up.
cool!

level 3 candidate? whats ur experience on the job like?

or are you switching from fine arts too? grin cheesy
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by akom: 8:24am On Aug 19, 2010
Well i have branch banking operations i was formerly with Citibank Nigeria
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 8:31am On Aug 19, 2010
^^
nice one

what were your roles in Citibank Nigeria?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by akom: 8:36am On Aug 19, 2010
I was a senior branch operations officer in charge of the FT/clearing team. I really want to make a switch to investment banking. how can i reach you. This is my email ,
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 8:53am On Aug 19, 2010
coolio

do you know ur treasurer at citibank off ozumba?

i have ur email already.

Good to know citi people are embracing CFA cos i can remember what you MD said when the CFA chaps came visiting him last year, he said the firm would support any staff who identifies with CFA and i hope hes living to his promises

nyways, i dont think u'll have issues getting a job soon
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by akom: 9:06am On Aug 19, 2010
You mean , I don't know him personaly, since i was a branch staff. Please drop a line via email.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 9:10am On Aug 19, 2010
^^^ yeah, you can remove his name

ill send an email soon

cheers

*** edited***
email sent
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by candylips(m): 11:11am On Aug 19, 2010
nice one
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by violent(m): 1:35am On Nov 11, 2010
where's everyone??

what's happening in the IB front?
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by manie(m): 12:26pm On Dec 17, 2010
Very educative thread. What did we learn from the bear? Am sure we all learnt something between 2008 and now.
Because during the bull period almost every body was a stock market analyst, can you imagine my Pastor was even advising me on what stock to buy. Do you know the stock, it was the private placement of Investment and Allied Assurance. Thank God I never bought the stock.
We all lost money in the market, just that the degree of loss varied. Thank God, I never bought any private placement during the bull, and l did not go for the sale of NASCON by Dangote at N20.
Anyway I think it is better to go back to the market now, not to trade or speculate but to invest. I went back about 18 months ago when the all share index went below 20000 or there about. Just doing Naira cost averaging.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by chamber2(m): 6:45am On Jan 24, 2011
Hello House,
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by babyx(f): 3:49pm On Jan 25, 2011
hello people, there are 2 vacant positions in a stock broking/Investment firm:

1. Research Analyst/Dealing Clerk (minimum 1 year working experience in same capacity)
2. Accountant (should have a minimum of 2years working experience in same capacity)

Interested qualified individuals should please call 08191376669.

thank you.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by acason: 6:26pm On Jan 26, 2011
Tkb417 and Lawuyi, kindly send me your e-mail addresses. I really want you to advise me on some issues. Hope to hear from you very soon. This is my e-mail, acaolawale@yahoo.com.Thanks bros.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by babyx(f): 2:27pm On Jan 27, 2011
Hello,

The positions listed below are vacant in a Stockbroking Firm;

1. Research Analyst/Dealing Clerk (minimum 1 year working experience in same capacity)
2. Accountant (should have a minimum of 2years working experience in same capacity)
3. Marketers (with a minimum of 2years working experience marketing finance services)

Interested qualified individuals should please mail CV to advertforjobs@gmail.com

Thank you.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by yamakuza: 12:27am On Jan 25, 2012
Happy New Year!

Where is everyone?

Please come and mark register.

Seems this thread has gone with the market crash.

[s]Whatever happened to the 4 year market cycle theory?[/s]
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tanimola22: 7:47pm On Jan 25, 2012
So, this is the fourth year now. Allow it to finish before you begin to hang the theory hahah cheesy
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mimi234: 11:35pm On Feb 15, 2012
**subscribed** cool
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tanimola22: 1:46am On Feb 16, 2012
mimi234:

**subscribed** cool

Hello mimi234, how are you? It's been a while. Did you take the Lagos internship? What about your grad finance plan?

T22
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mimi234: 2:11am On Feb 16, 2012
tanimola22:

Hello mimi234, how are you? It's been a while. Did you take the Lagos internship? What about your grad finance plan?

T22

Hey T22,

Longest time I'm good thanks hw are you doing?? , Yess I've applied to a number of firms in Lagos and 3 got back to me grin (finally some positive news) - I'm inclined to one tho as its fits in perfectly with what I want to do. However due to commitments here (and me not planning well lipsrsealed) I'll have to wait till around June/July times so may join the NYSC batch B.

I'm currently interning now at a research firm that supplies info to private equity/hedge funds etc etc however its not exactly what I want to get into so I'm opting to do my masters this fall (fingers crossed I get in).

With regards to IB firms in London my apps are still going but I'm not holding my breath to be honest as I really want to go 9ja anyways and if I get a summer internship at these BBs then I wouldn't be able to go. cry

Either way I've left everything in the hands of God - Hope your doing well.
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tanimola22: 12:18pm On Feb 16, 2012
mimi234:

Hey T22,

Longest time I'm good thanks hw are you doing?? , Yess I've applied to a number of firms in Lagos and 3 got back to me grin (finally some positive news) - I'm inclined to one tho as its fits in perfectly with what I want to do. However due to commitments here (and me not planning well lipsrsealed) I'll have to wait till around June/July times so may join the NYSC batch B.

I'm currently interning now at a research firm that supplies info to private equity/hedge funds etc etc however its not exactly what I want to get into so I'm opting to do my masters this fall (fingers crossed I get in).

With regards to IB firms in London my apps are still going but I'm not holding my breath to be honest as I really want to go 9ja anyways and if I get a summer internship at these BBs then I wouldn't be able to go. cry

Either way I've left everything in the hands of God - Hope your doing well.

Good good good. I am doing well, well well. Thanks and hope you are enjoying the weather today grin.

Indeed, let's allow God to decide. But, what happens if both a job and a top master's admission work out for you? What would you do?

By the way, the firms you applied to in Lagos, are they into IB or something similar?

Lool, you are not interested in PE and HF. Do you know how many IB analysts are dying to enter PE or even HF?

In any case, I suspect that I will have to send you an email if those 2 firms you are not interested in are IBs. I will be glad to take the remnants cool

T22
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by chamber2(m): 4:04pm On Feb 16, 2012
T22

How levels grin

Whats up with the Total parole, abi u don change ur mind

[s]I was thinking you should be done with your programme by now[/s]

Abeg hit ur guys if any good thing comes up, both home and away. Men dey street now, all eyes widely open
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tanimola22: 4:20pm On Feb 16, 2012
chamber2:

T22

How levels grin

Whats up with the Total parole, abi u don change ur mind

[s]I was thinking you should be done with your programme by now[/s]

Abeg hit ur guys if any good thing comes up, both home and away. Men dey street now, all eyes widely open

My brother, nothing dey O. Boys are still looking here and there.

God will help us sha.

T22
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by mimi234: 9:50pm On Feb 16, 2012
tanimola22:

Good good good. I am doing well, well well. Thanks and hope you are enjoying the weather today grin.

Indeed, let's allow God to decide. But, what happens if both a job and a top master's admission work out for you? What would you do?

By the way, the firms you applied to in Lagos, are they into IB or something similar?

Lool, you are not interested in PE and HF. Do you know how many IB analysts are dying to enter PE or even HF?

In any case, I suspect that I will have to send you an email if those 2 firms you are not interested in are IBs. I will be glad to take the remnants cool

T22

I really don't know what I would do if both a job and masters comes through i'd most probably stick with the job and then later on do my masters lolol. I applied to few IB's and Asset management firms in Lagos. But the ones that got back are all Asset managers with one IB firm - but I'd prefer that than the research analyst internship I'm currently doing.

Noo the firm I'm working with supplies financial information to PE's and HF's not that the firm is actually PE or HF although there could be chances of networking but I'm terrible at that  lipsrsealed .
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 11:52am On Feb 17, 2012
i see guys are doing well

nice one
Re: Corporate Finance/Investment Bankers/Stockbrokers Forum by tkb417(m): 11:53am On Feb 17, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please Help!! I Wish To Be More Productive To Myself / What Do You Hate Most About Working From Home? / What Made You Resign From A Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.