Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:14 AM

Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners (25860 Views)

Mint LIKE NEW Laptops Available / Guides For Buying New Or Used Laptops For Beginners / What's The Effect Of Plugging Laptops For A Long Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by talabitola: 4:15pm On Jan 28, 2016
Looking for serious bulk buyer for my hp elite book from usa. whatsapp me on 08070576047 or call me on 08138871931..

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 4:24pm On Jan 28, 2016
naijathings:

U think say na only Jesus turn water to wine abi..?
Enter Ikeja and make mistake first
lol.....nothing is impossible in naija
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by ikorodureporta: 4:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
So, wht brands & models shld we buy??
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 4:48pm On Jan 28, 2016
ikorodureporta:
just follow the guides above
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by foxvilles: 4:49pm On Jan 28, 2016
Not all touch screen laptops have problem. It depends on your luck.
My bro bought his Acer Aspire V5 since 3years ago and it has been working effectively j efficiently. No touch screen malfunction or any breakdown plus it still looks good.

Sometimes, it all depends on your luck but its also good to go by your preferred specifications to satisfy your want.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Wolfbrother(m): 4:54pm On Jan 28, 2016
ikorodureporta:

1 Like

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Horlaz(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
mokoshalb:
This Post is Exclusive from Mokoshalb Global Pimpz www.mokoshalb.com
Laptops are getting more powerful and thinner each day thanks to the ultrabook design features and new processors by Intel. Often people search for best laptops within their price range and they all they get is sponsored laptop recommendations. These paid reviews often glorify overpriced Apple Macbooks and does not do justice to other brands out there, e.g. Lenovo, Dell and Asus. But I am not going to debate which laptop is best or recommended for purchase in year 2016. Instead, I will give you important tips and checklist for buying a good laptop that will immensely help you with your Laptop purchase.

Guide and Tips for Buying a New Workstation Laptop:
1. Processor Architecture

The currently used high performance Processor microarchitecture by Intel is Broadwell series. Also, new architecture is coming early 2016 its called Skylake processors. Every new processor series promises improved GPU, CPU performance bundled with awesome battery life. So look for a laptop with newer CPU.
Intel Broadwell starts with 5xxx on processor model no.
Intel Skylake series starts with 6xxx
2. Battery Life

After the performance, the next is battery life. A decent laptop must have at least 2+ hours of battery life on a full charge. If it fails to deliver such usage time on battery, it’s time to skip that laptop.

3. Keyboard, Mouse and Webcam

Placement of input devices is very crucial. Make sure of the following:
Keyboards’ keys are properly placed, there has to be a little distance between them.
The touchpad should be in the middle and should not interfere when you’re typing.
Webcam must be placed in center, if its on the left-right, you’ll have a hard time adjusting with it.
4. Long Charger Cable

Pretty much self explanatory. Power brick must have long cable so you don’t have to stay near power socket all the time just to charge your laptop.

5. Avoid Graphic Card Unless Required

Graphic cards (GPU) are very power hungry and they can put a negative impact on the battery life or your machine. Also, the video card performance reduces as your laptop ages. It is best to avoid GPU unless you have real use for it (e.g. gaming, video editing). Intel is doing a great job with the new processors, the Broadwell, Skylake series CPU’s already have good dedicated graphics (Iris Pro) processors built-in.

6. Heating Issues

It’s best not to overlook heat factor. Overheating can cause laptop to malfunction, it can also reduce its life. If the laptop gets heat up even on low usage, avoid it at all cost because it can cause permanent burns on your Lap.

7. Build Quality

It is the very important thing to look for. Build quality has to be sturdy, check the overall laptop and examine its build quality, also check the LCD/LED hinges durability. If the laptop is made of cheap plastic/material, chances are it won’t survive in long run.

8. Good number of USB ports

I have this laptop with just 2 usb slots which is a pain. I have to use USB extension to connect additional devices. So make sure you get laptop with at least 3 to 4 usb ports.

9. Built-in Operating System

Windows 10 is now a default standard for all coming Laptops. It means drivers and software utilities will be that operating system. But what if you want to run a program that only runs on Windows 7 or 8.1? Always check backward driver and OS compatibility on manufacturer’s website.

10. Headphone and Mic Jack

Many laptops these days come with single dual-purpose 3.5mm audio jack that supports both Headphone/Mic input. I would suggest you to avoid it and get a machine with separate for Mic and Headphone slot.

11. Avoid Touchscreen (Hybrids)

The idea of touchscreen looks really appealing on a Laptop but trust me it isn’t. You might use your laptop touchscreen for a few days and then never use it again. Laptops are not Tablet replacement, they are heavy, they heat up pretty quickly on your lap. Not to mention the rotatable screen is fragile and can be easily broken.

12. Expensive is not always better.
This is not a case when buying a notebook. Many laptop manufacturers add premium price, addons such as extended warranty, software bundles which you’re not going to ever use. Avoid that.

13. Screen size

The screen size should be big enough at least 15 inches. Because looking at small screen for long hours can affect your eye sight and cause eye strain.

14. SD Card reader.

It is great to a have a built-in SD card reader. You don’t have to connect your camera through a data cable. So keep an eye on it.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you. If you want speedy storage, get Solid State Drive (SSD).

16. HDMI, Ethernet and other ports

Make sure the laptop you are going to buy has all support for all these ports. HDMI will let you connect your Laptop to your TV for watching movies and sharing media. Ethernet (LAN) is good for transferring huge files to router or media server.

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

They are standard for every machine nowadays. But if you have a dual band gigabit router installed at your house then double check if your Laptop supports gigabit WiFi.

My thinking capacity has come to an end, let me know if I am missing something. Nowadays, it is very hard to buy a laptop that fits your needs. I hope my checklist helps you in your next Laptop purchase.

To check out all image description, and further conclusions visit http://www.mokoshalb.com/2016/01/guides-for-buying-new-laptops-for.html
:::
Can mini-laptop have all these specs
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Wolfbrother(m): 4:55pm On Jan 28, 2016
if you want to play modern games avoid all intel graphics cards , go for nvidia
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Horlaz(m): 4:59pm On Jan 28, 2016
chiedu7:
Generally a good write up but for

In this age that most software are 64bit, getting a machine with just 4GB of ram is like driving on a single carriage road instead of dual carriage or higher!
Speed is really restricted on single carriage road.

Likewise for 64bit machines which are now the standard, getting anything less than 6GB is simply putting bumps in your way.
8GB is ideal for most people but certainly not 4GB.

If you are gonna do things like Photoshop get at least 8GB.
Thank you..
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by LILGWANZ(m): 5:02pm On Jan 28, 2016
chiedu7:

In this age that most software are 64bit, getting a machine with just 4GB of ram is like driving on a single carriage road instead of dual carriage or higher!

Likewise for 64bit machines which are now the standard, getting anything less than 6GB is simply putting bumps in your way.

you hit the nail on the head. Anything less than 12gb ram in 2016 is not worth it
Disclaimer:-in terms of gaming O. Also Google HP omen or HP envy m7 shocked

2 Likes

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by LILGWANZ(m): 5:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
Wolfbrother:
if you want to play modern games avoid all intel graphics cards , go for nvidia
I believe i7 would be great also
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 5:06pm On Jan 28, 2016
yea i agree with u guys above me... ...
::
but as d topic implies its for beginners
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by obidevine(m): 5:13pm On Jan 28, 2016
OP. Nice. One lalasticlala you dey hear?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mozele(m): 5:17pm On Jan 28, 2016
mokoshalb:

thanks for your contribution!..
Stay updated at www.mokoshalb.com

with all these specifications, what are the price range of a good second hand or new laptop?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 5:24pm On Jan 28, 2016
mozele:

with all these specifications, what are the price range of a good second hand or new laptop?
btween 50k - 65k

1 Like

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by ExplorerReturns(m): 5:29pm On Jan 28, 2016
chiedu7:

but my guy is using 2GB ram laptop for Photoshop and It is working perfectly for him.

mokoshalb, I have a HP elite book laptop, 64 bit window 8.1(upgraded, initially windows 7) 2.53GHz processor, 300GB hard drive. upgraded VGU. pls is the laptop suitable for auto card?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 5:33pm On Jan 28, 2016
ExplorerReturns:

but my guy is using 2GB ram laptop for Photoshop and It is working perfectly for him.

mokoshalb, I have a HP elite book laptop, 64 bit window 8.1(upgraded, initially windows 7) 2.53GHz processor, 300GB hard drive. upgraded VGU. pls is the laptop suitable for auto card?
yea ofcourse, u might just experience lagging sometimes if u run alot of programmes
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Baboo13(m): 5:41pm On Jan 28, 2016
@mokoshalb what is the basic laptop requirement for running games like Fifa and Pes?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by NkemjikaX(m): 6:06pm On Jan 28, 2016
Anyone with a good cheap laptop 4 sale should pls respond. Must be in Enugu state. I have the cash at hand so if i like it, i'll cum pick it up sharparly!. My whatsapp line 08033313116
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 6:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
Baboo13:
@mokoshalb what is the basic laptop requirement for running games like Fifa and Pes?
6gb ram, 2.35ghz minimum
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Niceman4u(m): 6:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
Lemme add,
Its advisable to buy laptop dat has 64bit dan d one wit 32bit. D ram of a 64bit s upgradable to 128Gig while d maximum ram a 32bit laptop wil ve s 4Gig.
Also the higher d clock speed (Ghz) d faster d laptop.
Nice one @OP
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Baboo13(m): 6:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
mokoshalb:
6gb ram, 2.35ghz minimum

Thanks
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by kirchofff(m): 6:34pm On Jan 28, 2016
Pls I need compaq610 mobo wit processor........pls reply if u've got
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by emmabest2000(m): 6:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
mokoshalb:
Laptops are getting more powerful and thinner each day thanks to the ultrabook design features and new processors by Intel. Often people search for best laptops within their price range and they all they get is sponsored laptop recommendations. These paid reviews often glorify overpriced Apple Macbooks and does not do justice to other brands out there, e.g. Lenovo, Dell and Asus. But I am not going to debate which laptop is best or recommended for purchase in year 2016. Instead, I will give you important tips and checklist for buying a good laptop that will immensely help you with your Laptop purchase.

The currently used high performance Processor microarchitecture by Intel is Broadwell series. Also, new architecture is coming early 2016 its called Skylake processors. Every new processor series promises improved GPU, CPU performance bundled with awesome battery life. So look for a laptop with newer CPU.
2. Battery Life

After the performance, the next is battery life. A decent laptop must have at least 2+ hours of battery life on a full charge. If it fails to deliver such usage time on battery, it’s time to skip that laptop.

Keyboards’ keys are properly placed, there has to be a little distance between them.
The touchpad should be in the middle and should not interfere when you’re typing.
Webcam must be placed in center, if its on the left-right, you’ll have a hard time adjusting with it.
4. Long Charger Cable

Pretty much self explanatory. Power brick must have long cable so you don’t have to stay near power socket all the time just to charge your laptop.

Graphic cards (GPU) are very power hungry and they can put a negative impact on the battery life or your machine. Also, the video card performance reduces as your laptop ages. It is best to avoid GPU unless you have real use for it (e.g. gaming, video editing). Intel is doing a great job with the new processors, the Broadwell, Skylake series CPU’s already have good dedicated graphics (Iris Pro) processors built-in.

6. Heating Issues

It’s best not to overlook heat factor. Overheating can cause laptop to malfunction, it can also reduce its life. If the laptop gets heat up even on low usage, avoid it at all cost because it can cause permanent burns on your Lap.

7. Build Quality

It is the very important thing to look for. Build quality has to be sturdy, check the overall laptop and examine its build quality, also check the LCD/LED hinges durability. If the laptop is made of cheap plastic/material, chances are it won’t survive in long run.

I have this laptop with just 2 usb slots which is a pain. I have to use USB extension to connect additional devices. So make sure you get laptop with at least 3 to 4 usb ports.

Windows 10 is now a default standard for all coming Laptops. It means drivers and software utilities will be that operating system. But what if you want to run a program that only runs on Windows 7 or 8.1? Always check backward driver and OS compatibility on manufacturer’s website.

Many laptops these days come with single dual-purpose 3.5mm audio jack that supports both Headphone/Mic input. I would suggest you to avoid it and get a machine with separate for Mic and Headphone slot.

The idea of touchscreen looks really appealing on a Laptop but trust me it isn’t. You might use your laptop touchscreen for a few days and then never use it again. Laptops are not Tablet replacement, they are heavy, they heat up pretty quickly on your lap. Not to mention the rotatable screen is fragile and can be easily broken.

This is not a case when buying a notebook. Many laptop manufacturers add premium price, addons such as extended warranty, software bundles which you’re not going to ever use. Avoid that.

13. Screen size

The screen size should be big enough at least 15 inches. Because looking at small screen for long hours can affect your eye sight and cause eye strain.

14. SD Card reader.

It is great to a have a built-in SD card reader. You don’t have to connect your camera through a data cable. So keep an eye on it.

15. RAM and Storage

If you are planning to use your laptop for web browsing, movies and a little bit of Photoshop, 4 GB ram is enough. If you going use memory intensive applications such as CAD, get a RAM upgrade. For Hard drive, you can get 500 GB or 1 TB, it totally depends on you. If you want speedy storage, get Solid State Drive (SSD).

Make sure the laptop you are going to buy has all support for all these ports. HDMI will let you connect your Laptop to your TV for watching movies and sharing media. Ethernet (LAN) is good for transferring huge files to router or media server.

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

They are standard for every machine nowadays. But if you have a dual band gigabit router installed at your house then double check if your Laptop supports gigabit WiFi.

My thinking capacity has come to an end, let me know if I am missing something. Nowadays, it is very hard to buy a laptop that fits your needs. I hope my checklist helps you in your next Laptop purchase.

To check out all image description, and further conclusions visit http://www.mokoshalb.com/2016/01/guides-for-buying-new-laptops-for.html

2 Likes

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by saleskara: 6:45pm On Jan 28, 2016
This is an educative write up. You may also find information about the a buying guide for laptop http://blog.kara.com.ng/pc-world-laptop-buying-guide/
mokoshalb:

2. Battery Life

4. Long Charger Cable

6. Heating Issues

7. Build Quality

13. Screen size

14. SD Card reader.

15. RAM and Storage

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
I need hp 250 g3

4gb ram, 500gb Hdd
Core i3 / core i5
Intel HD 4000
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
Buy a macbook pro. End of story.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 28, 2016
How much will it cost to buy the type type of laptop you described.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by mokoshalb(m): 9:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
Akobi24:
How much will it cost to buy the type type of laptop you described.
budget 60-90
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Capslock01: 9:45pm On Jan 28, 2016
talabitola:
Looking for serious bulk buyer for my hp elite book from usa. whatsapp me on 08070576047 or call me on 08138871931..

Please give me the spec. Can you sell one? And at what price?. Your location?
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Karleb(m): 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
Nice tips.

I could remember when I wanted to get my laptop, unlike android I knew nothing about Windows OS but I kept screaming "4Gb RAM, 500GB storage and Windows 8" and I got it, the only bad about the Laptop is just the Camera.

One tip though, go with extra cash.
Re: Guides For Buying New Laptops For Beginners by Xtracoool(m): 10:00pm On Jan 28, 2016
mokoshalb:

2. Battery Life

4. Long Charger Cable

6. Heating Issues

7. Build Quality

13. Screen size

14. SD Card reader.

15. RAM and Storage

17. WiFi and Bluetooth.

I just got my new laptop... And it's skylake, ie, 6.xxxx. Skylake was released last quarter of 2015.

Thanks for the GPU heads up. I am gonna undo it cos I already set Nvidia as default.

Helpful writeup.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Your System Too Slow? Here's The Help You Need / Dell Inspiron 600m Ethernet Controller/lan Driver / Common Issues After Installing Windows 10 And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.