Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,920 members, 7,806,676 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! (17577 Views)

Whatsapp Video Calling Is Now Available For All Users / New BBM Update Comes With Video Calling Feature / BBM Rolls Out Video Calling Feature To Android And Ios (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 5:01am On Jan 27, 2016
I got this Status Update from a Friend’s Facebook update,so I decided to share it with you guys.

Good day ladies and gentlemen. If you have not been invited to install Whatsapp Video calling, congratulations, if you have been invited and you ignored, good for you.

A message is currently going around now where a link will be sent to you and once you click, it will take you to a page where you input your phone number. Once you type your number and click on "Continue", that will be the end!

The message comes in this form; "Hey, I am inviting you to activate WhatsApp Video Calling. Click here to Activate --> http://whatsapp.videocallinginvite.com"

The website videocallinginvite.com was registered in December 27, 2015 (less than a month ago) under GoDaddy, and the NS are NS1.DIGITALOCEAN.COM and NS2.DIGITALOCEAN.COM. This shows clearly that the server is not from Whatsapp, because even before Facebook bought Whatsapp in 2014, Whatsapp clouded their server, and after Facebook bought them, the contents was moved to another server.

whatsapp Video call

Again, the url is nothing but fraud because you cannot create primary sub domain from a secondary URL. E.g, if the URL of Nigerian government is nigeria.gov, you can't tell Nigerians to visit nigeria.kogi.gov and claim that the website is from Nigerian government. Therefore the url of this purported Whatsapp Video Call cannot be whatsapp.videocallinginvite.com. Even the URL for desktop integration of Whatsapp chat is web.whatsapp.com, so if Whatsapp want to create video calls, it will be a name.whatsapp.com, not the other way round.

The guy/guys that registered this domain did it to extract as many numbers as possible. What they want to use it for, I don't know. But I so much believe that if routing can be possible, if cloning of websites can be possible, cloning of numbers can also be achieved. Though I'm thinking that the people behind this wickedness are looking for numbers of influential people, but nothing can be ignored, anything can happen. Don't forget that you can be tracked with your phone, and your conversation can also be tapped. Therefore we can’t rule out anything.

Please when anybody send you a similar link, ignore completely to avoid the story that touch!

NB

Whatsapp Video Call feature is reportedly in the making, but no such updates is officially available at the Moment, it will probably come as an app update and not through some phishing website.

Source http://www.gadgetsng.com/2016/01/warning-current-whatsapp-video-calling-scam.html

36 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by VcStunner(m): 5:33am On Jan 27, 2016
We've been here for a while now.... the whatsapp call is actually cool, won't even reason the video call if the App doesn't exist in Blackberry world.

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by orlaryhincah(m): 5:36am On Jan 27, 2016
Nice
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by uboma(m): 6:38am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks @ op for this information.
I had always suspected it to be a sham.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 27, 2016
At your service

uboma:
Thanks @ op for this information.

I had always suspected it to be a sham.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Koolmexxi(m): 7:35am On Jan 27, 2016
It was obviously and clearly a scam. D link itself said it all and even going ahead to ask for users to register their numbers is even enof to make anyone look d other way. How can one register for video calling when whatsapp itself hasn't included d video call option in its app.

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Warlord3000(m): 7:38am On Jan 27, 2016
He that has ears.. Let him hear..

Thanks wink

6 Likes

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by PRINCENWAEZE(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2016
grin u never chin chun chin averything is a scam under dullards regime grin.

Quote me enywhere and be banished

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Holuwakemmy16(f): 8:06am On Jan 27, 2016
Chai naija
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by kulobyno: 8:07am On Jan 27, 2016
It's only myopic sex starved perverts that will fall for the cheap scam
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by optional1(f): 8:07am On Jan 27, 2016
No wonder i 4 say
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by kelvstenz: 8:08am On Jan 27, 2016
Lol... Thought as much
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 8:08am On Jan 27, 2016
Its not just a Naija thing

Holuwakemmy16:
Chai naija
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by nellaluv(f): 8:09am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks for the heads up
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nienie(f): 8:10am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks for the heads up..people sha
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nienie(f): 8:10am On Jan 27, 2016
Nice one
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by nonstan(m): 8:11am On Jan 27, 2016
As I Don register am so..hw I wan take save my number from D's kind mess
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by AdahXris(m): 8:12am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks @op.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by MrImole: 8:12am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by glamz007(m): 8:12am On Jan 27, 2016
and I typed my number o. lol
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by phemmie06(m): 8:13am On Jan 27, 2016
Though yet to receive it thanks cos not all will know that it will be through updating if such feature is available.
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by danielmichael(m): 8:13am On Jan 27, 2016
correct
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Mayour11(m): 8:13am On Jan 27, 2016
I knew it

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Ufuoma4ril(f): 8:14am On Jan 27, 2016
Hmmmm...... end tym revelations
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by jacy67(f): 8:14am On Jan 27, 2016
Scammers everywhere
The hustle is real.
BTW thanks op for the info

1 Like

Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by BLWeb: 8:14am On Jan 27, 2016
Good investigative work!
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by qualityovenbake(m): 8:14am On Jan 27, 2016
Noted
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Enemkingsley: 8:14am On Jan 27, 2016
Definitely correct angry
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Akosxxx(m): 8:15am On Jan 27, 2016
Thanks Op..

Thanks Mod
Re: Current Whatsapp Video Calling Is A Scam! by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 27, 2016
My name is biafraudexposed I updated my whatsapp yesterday from Google play store and nothing like that. And I got a message about this video call in the evening. And that godaddy people are fund of hijacking domains. Just live a church domain free go daddy must take it.

What on earth cannot be scam when this Biafra struggle is a scam. People in Aba ariria have not been treated this is so painful, the money have been syphoned... On my part two you will see where KANU said he have no business with the poor first watch the one... Scams are everywhere like laser fever. God help us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZVm_a4Wk8

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

➜ ➜ ➜Official Tecno Mobile Complaints And Feedback Thread➜ ➜ ➜ / My Samsung A30 Just Arrived / Mobile Phone: Things You Must Remember Always

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.