Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,755 members, 7,802,311 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119193 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 3:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Mindfulness:

Tulips. I love them. Always have them at home during the season they grow here.
Oh tulips? I see.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hi ladies and gents grin

Yes they are tulips coco
They are bulbs and come back year after year
We are still expecting ours to flower
Where you are must be warmer than the UK
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 9:22pm On Apr 06, 2016
tearoses:
Hi ladies and gents grin

Yes they are tulips coco
They are bulbs and come back year after year
We are still expecting ours to flower
Where you are must be warmer than the UK
Yes I think it's a little warmer here this year. It wasn't like this last year.
The spring is almost like summer.
Warm but not hot . It's so pretty I don't want it to end embarassed
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:06pm On Apr 07, 2016
cococandy:

I think the third one is a kind of hibiscus.
And the second one I don't know the name but it's pretty too.

2nd one is most likely a Lily.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:11pm On Apr 07, 2016
Cherry Blossom Tree

Now, I have only known this to grow everywhere around England (sometimes it's a bit much) but Sakura (their Japanese name) is native to Japan (it heralds The coming of Spring and they had a festival for it). Cherry Blossoms shed their flowers constantly so they can be quite messy but oh-so-pretty.

But here's what's nice: there's one growing in Nigeria, in front of Moremi Hall, UNILAG. I'm quite sure. Does anyone have pics?

1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 10:22pm On Apr 07, 2016
Onegai:

2nd one is most likely a Lily.
Thanks smiley

I've learned many flower names on this thread alone

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 10:23pm On Apr 07, 2016
They Grow everywhere here too.
The streets are lined with it in some areas.
Makes for very nice view.

there's actually a 'cherry blossom and Japanese cultural festival' coming up soon in the city center.
Starting April 22nd. I saw the ad for it.

I Was wondering what cherry blossom has to do with Japanese culture. Now I know.
Onegai:
Cherry Blossom Tree

Now, I have only known this to grow everywhere around England (sometimes it's a bit much) but Sakura (their Japanese name) is native to Japan (it heralds The coming of Spring and they had a festival for it). Cherry Blossoms shed their flowers constantly so they can be quite messy but oh-so-pretty.

But here's what's nice: there's one growing in Nigeria, in front of Moremi Hall, UNILAG. I'm quite sure. Does anyone have pics?

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2016
Split Leaf Philodendron

I really love these because they're so oddly shaped and have a nice botanical name Monstera Deliciousa grin

They make a good indoor plant, give them bright indirect light or if outdoors, plenty of shade or they will cook in the sun. They need a big container as they grow and may need to be reported every 2 years. Water once a week. If you wanna buy them, ask at Anthony or on the island I've seen them sold there.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:39pm On Apr 07, 2016
cococandy:
The Grow everywhere here too.
The streets are lined with it in some areas.
Makes for very nice view.

there's actually a 'cherry blossom and Japanese cultural festival' coming up soon in the city center.
Starting April 22nd. I saw the ad for it.

I Was wondering what cherry blossom has to do won't Japanese culture. Now I know.

Cherry Blossoms are important in Japanese culture, in the past centuries, they had viewing parties for them. The reason they're plenty in England (seriously it is a nuisance over there as they litter everywhere) is that they were a gift to Queen Victoria from the Emperor of Japan. Now, a keg of fuel from the Prime Minister of U.K. to the President of Nigeria would be a handsome gift grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:49pm On Apr 07, 2016
touchmeder:
I decided a hand trowel would be good but I got too excited (when this thread first started) and bought a bricklayers instead!

I spotted a dumb cane growing wildly the other day and decided to help myself. I'll be starting with her (yes its a her and I've christened her Lucy)

So armed with my bricklayers trowel, I went 'a digging' for black soil from yonder place and the hubby just shake head for me. LOL I added a bit of waste from the bin but I hear dumb cane is quite versatile so hoping she does not wither away.

I intend to fill that spot (around Lucy) with more colourful flowers in the coming weeks. Wish Lucy well for me. Hopefully she'll have fun at my place.

Any advise?

How far, how is Lucy doing? A medium size plastic planet is about N600 and get a can of spray paint for N350 and match it to your decor and put Lucy in it.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 12:21am On Apr 08, 2016
Onegai:

Cherry Blossoms are important in Japanese culture, in the past centuries, they had viewing parties for them. The reason they're plenty in England (seriously it is a nuisance over there as they litter everywhere) is that they were a gift to Queen Victoria from the Emperor of Japan. Now, a keg of fuel from the Prime Minister of U.K. to the President of Nigeria would be a handsome gift grin

Oh I just read up about it now. And the reason they are plenty here and celebrated too is in honor of the Japanese who gave it to the city as a gift.
Just like UK.
It must be their special gift item.

P.S they also have flower-viewing during the ceremony. Someone post a review on Yelp saying its the most amazing flower decorations she ever saw.
The more I read about it, the more I feel like I'd like to attend.( to check out the food of course cheesy)
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 12:33am On Apr 08, 2016
Seattle Cherry Blossom & Japanese Cultural Festival.

Explore and experience the cultural roots and contemporary influences of Japan through live performances, visual arts, hands-on activities, foods and games including Taiko drumming and artisan demonstrations.

The Festival was founded 40 Years ago in appreciation of 1,000 cherry trees gifted to Seattle by Prime Minister Takeo Miki on behalf of the Japanese government in commemoration of the nation’s bicentennial. It is the first ethnic festival to be held at Seattle Center annually and the oldest in the Seattle Center Festál series.
http://www.seattlecenter.com/festal/detail.aspx?id=4

Each spring, Seattle's streets and parks come alive with pink cherry blossoms, creating one of the most stunningly attractive times of year. Cherry blossoms grow all around Seattle, but especially in parks and public spaces. In Japan, cherry blossom season is a heralded time of year with blossom forecasts keeping a close eye on the season, as the peak blossoms only last a week or two. There, the act of viewing cherry blossoms is called hanami.
http://seattle.about.com/od/seattle-attractions/tp/Where-to-View-Cherry-Blossoms-in-Seattle.htm
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:16pm On Apr 09, 2016
cococandy:

http://www.seattlecenter.com/festal/detail.aspx?id=4

http://seattle.about.com/od/seattle-attractions/tp/Where-to-View-Cherry-Blossoms-in-Seattle.htm

Yup, Hanami. It's lovely how Japanese culture is kepy alive and exported (Nigerian culture, nah, we not somehow link it to fetish or abuse the ideas behind it). I hate the fact that we are quick to cut down trees lining out streets and then complain of being under the hot sun. What was the tree's job, wasn't it to give you shade??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:04am On Apr 12, 2016
Block or tyre planter

You don't have to buy can planters if you can't afford it. You can use old tyres and blocks to hold ornamental plants. Simply put a small-holed mesh (like the type used for windows) under the tyre or block, add gravel and soil. You can paint them any colour you want. Best of all, you can use them on your b alconey or in a corner of your compund by combining them with a plain polished wooden plank and turn the place into somewhere you can sit down comfortably. I've seen something like this done at the children's museum in Lekki.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 10:27am On Apr 12, 2016
These planter ideas look so fabulous!!!
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2016
babythug:
These planter ideas look so fabulous!!!

If i may make a suggestion: when buying paint for the planters, ask for outdoor paint because they will be exposed to the elements. I've used acrylic paint successfully on a planter but I won't recommend it for longterm use. For indoor planters, acrylic or spray paint will work nicely. You don't need a while bucket of paint, ask for sample size for sellers and if they are painting a house in your area, you can ask the owners or the workmen if they can paint for you (it won't take a lot of paint). And there are a lot of discarded tyres everywhere so that's a cheap option.

Just don't grow anything edible in these sort of planters

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
Elephant Ear

Isn't this a very attractive plant? I know some of you are about to say "but that's a..." but HUSH! We save the surprise for later smiley

Colocasia or Elephant ear is a showy native of Asia (it has been grown there for thousands of years). It is a shrub. Its leaves look pretty good in a centerpiece for weddings and decorations. You can buy some of the variegated leaf type from your gardener but if you want to learn how to grow it, I suggest asking your mama or your grandma's to teach you.

Because it's an edible root plant. We call our local version "Cocoyam" grin

Keep the leaves away from children as it's poisonous btw (the specie we eat isn't). And yes, it grows in containers. Now go get yourself some cocoyams, I mean Elephant Ear plants grin

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 13, 2016
Hello everyone kiss

Patiently awaiting the summer

My garden looks a mess right now

Even my mum who came at the weekend was shocked embarassed

Im looking for a dwarf apple tree that I can put in my suitcase and bring to Nigeria. Not much luck but fingers still crossed.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 9:37am On Apr 13, 2016
I saw this type of hibiscus today. I think that's what it is but I might be wrong
I've never seen it before.
It Has two colors. Dark pink (maroon) and peach (ish).

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:40am On Apr 13, 2016
cococandy:
I saw this type of hibiscus today. I think that's what it is but I might be wrong
I've never seen it before.
It Has two colors. Dark pink (maroon) and peach (ish).

Prettttyyyy. Try and Google the image so we know what it is. In identifying plants it also helps to know what the leaves look like.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:42am On Apr 13, 2016
tearoses:
Hello everyone kiss

Patiently awaiting the summer

My garden looks a mess right now

Even my mum who came at the weekend was shocked embarassed

Im looking for a dwarf apple tree that I can put in my suitcase and bring to Nigeria. Not much luck but fingers still crossed.

Will they let it through Customs?? If you do get it in, abeg share cuttings! grin grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 6:07pm On Apr 13, 2016
Onegai:

Prettttyyyy. Try and Google the image so we know what it is. In identifying plants it also helps to know what the leaves look like.
I've tried to. I can't find the way to upload it on google.
It seems I'm doing it wrong angry
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Hpystmum: 12:00pm On Apr 15, 2016
Onegai:

Abeg I need the details of that jazz, because people are not respecting themselves anymore nowadays angry grin
Please dear, with regard to your comment on the topic "LIST OF BABY ITEMS" and recommendation on RECTANGULAR COTTON CLOTH DIAPER instead of Terry Towel for burb cloth. Please, where can I get the rectangular cotton cloth diaper in Nigeria. Here is my contact: oluebubejehoval@gmail.com

Thanks and remain ever blessed
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:51pm On Apr 16, 2016
Hpystmum:

Please dear, with regard to your comment on the topic "LIST OF BABY ITEMS" and recommendation on RECTANGULAR COTTON CLOTH DIAPER instead of Terry Towel for burb cloth. Please, where can I get the rectangular cotton cloth diaper in Nigeria. Here is my contact: oluebubejehoval@gmail.com

Thanks and remain ever blessed

Hello could you remove your number and email as there are a lot of scammers. I've replied you on the other thread. Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by anonimi: 11:59am On Apr 17, 2016
Onegai:
Will they let it through Customs?? If you do get it in, abeg share cuttings! grin grin

You might be surprised at what the Horticulture institute has about this.
Cheers
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:00pm On Apr 17, 2016
anonimi:

You might be surprised at what the Horticulture institute has about this.
Cheers

Where are they located please?

It is sad that we are screaming "no jobs, no jobs", people get married every single weekend and do burials yet florists in Nigeria cannot get a supplier of fresh flowers but would rather import fresh flowers and other sellers import fake flowers. What is the Institute doing? This is such a large market in Nigeria as weddings and burials are all we do. Imagine having 2 hectares supplying fresh flowers, you will make a profit because your clients have money (you're not dealing with people who want N5000 bouquets). Hotels, banks, schools, churches, events, personal are using fresh flowers. Also, a lot of these plants have other used (producing oils, petals and compunds needed in industries like Cosmetics and pharmaceuticals).

We need to expand our minds in this country.

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by anonimi: 2:22pm On Apr 17, 2016
Onegai:

It is sad that we are screaming "no jobs, no jobs", people get married every single weekend and do burials yet florists in Nigeria cannot get a supplier of fresh flowers but would rather import fresh flowers and other sellers import fake flowers. What is the Institute doing? This is such a large market in Nigeria as weddings and burials are all we do. Imagine having 2 hectares supplying fresh flowers, you will make a profit because your clients have money (you're not dealing with people who want N5000 bouquets). Hotels, banks, schools, churches, events, personal are using fresh flowers. Also, a lot of these plants have other used (producing oils, petals and compunds needed in industries like Cosmetics and pharmaceuticals).

They are located at Jericho GRA, Ibadan.
We have allowed the sharing of Niger Delta oil revenue and western union transfers from hard working but stupid diaspora people destroy our own work culture.
It is terrible!
Hopefully we can remedy it before long.

And yes, I fully concur with you that we need to urgently expand our minds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gerrard59(m): 3:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
Onegai:

It is sad that we are screaming "no jobs, no jobs", people get married every single weekend and do burials yet florists in Nigeria cannot get a supplier of fresh flowers [/b]but would rather import fresh flowers and other sellers import fake flowers[b].

We import flowers into Nigeria? shocked
There're lots of business opportunities in Nigeria, but let me graduate first and work in Mckinsey grin.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:05pm On Apr 17, 2016
Gerrard59:

We import flowers into Nigeria? shocked
There're lots of business opportunities in Nigeria, but let me graduate first and work in Mckinsey grin.

And keep some dollars for me once you start earning biko! grin

I have only met 3 florists (one in Lagos, one in Benin and another in Asaba) who actually know how to work with locally grown flowers. The rest, importing because they don't know how to use our local flowers. Our local flowers haven't been improved scientifically to either last long or impart fragrance (i was told by a knowledgable florist that in the 80s, Nigerian Marigold flowers smelled divine but challenges in location have stopped production of them). Another thing is availability: a florist can require upto 1000 blooms of a particular flower (wedding decor chops flowers) and they won't be able to get that quantity grown in Nigeria, so they import. Lastly, we cannot grow certain flowers like commercial type roses (the popular ones you know, because actual roses don't look like that) unless in certain areas like Jos. All those riots and ethnic and religious clashes make that impossible. And it is a costly business because no-one wants to invest in something that will yield dividends in 10 years' time. Nigerians also like buying imported stuff (how many brides will agree to a tropical bouquet?? How many guys want to send a bouquet of tropical flowers to their babes on Valentine's Day??)

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:22pm On Apr 17, 2016
Air Purifying plants

"It is a truth universally acknowledged" (showing off my Jane Austen grin...) that in Nigeria, air quality is nonsense. Now, before you say "who e epp?", please consider that you are breathing in fumes from generators, kerosene stoves, all the chemicals we use to kill some stubborn mosquitoes (Raid, that pink paper etc), even air freshener. That is a LOT of chemicals being inhaled. And strangely, respiratory illnesses are increasing in Nigeria, particularly amongst kids. Since your healthcare system is rubbish, preventive medicine is the best!

Do you know plants purify the air and release oxygen? Yes you do, they taught us that in school!

Now, some plants are better than others but the good thing is that most of the great air purifying indoor plants are easily available in Nigeria (aloe Vera, Boston fern, snake plant, peace lily, spider plant, palms etc) and are not expensive. Infact, go to virgin land and uproot your fern free sef. Pop them into a container and not only jazz up your living room or bedroom or bathroom, but keep yourself healthy.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gerrard59(m): 5:40pm On Apr 17, 2016
Onegai:

And keep some dollars for me once you start earning biko! grin

I have only met 3 florists (one in Lagos, one in Benin and another in Asaba) who actually know how to work with locally grown flowers. The rest, importing because they don't know how to use our local flowers. Our local flowers haven't been improved scientifically to either last long or impart fragrance (i was told by a knowledgable florist that in the 80s, Nigerian Marigold flowers smelled divine but challenges in location have stopped production of them). Another thing is availability: a florist can require upto 1000 blooms of a particular flower (wedding decor chops flowers) and they won't be able to get that quantity grown in Nigeria, so they import. Lastly, we cannot grow certain flowers like commercial type roses (the popular ones you know, because actual roses don't look like that) unless in certain areas like Jos. All those riots and ethnic and religious clashes make that impossible. And it is a costly business because no-one wants to invest in something that will yield dividends in 10 years' time. Nigerians also like buying imported stuff (how many brides will agree to a tropical bouquet?? How many guys want to send a bouquet of tropical flowers to their babes on Valentine's Day??)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1016358571771971&substory_index=0&id=496453373762496

This was a Facebook post by the billionaire Strive Masiyiwa on how Kenya and Ethiopia have revolutionised the horticultural and flower industry.
Research and development, climate controlled greenhouses which enable the flowers to remain fresh till it reaches the final consumer. Plateau state does possess lots of potentials in the agro industry(dairy farming, horticulture, Orchard farming, vegetables). Unfortunately, we don't have any concrete plans by the government(past, successive, current and pathetically, future) to develop the industry(through coherent and comprehensive policies).

Additionally, Nigerians like sharp sharp ways of making money which most times is not sustainable in the future(crude oil, solid minerals). I read long ago on The Economist on the agricultural industry in the Netherlands; how a country that over 50% that's sand-filled is the 2nd biggest producer of agricultural products in the world. We can do same if the business environment is conducive(infrastructure, power, ports, human resource) and also adopt modern business practices(we need the Management engineers/consul gurus: Mckinsey wink, BCG, and Bain and Co)

Nonetheless, the opportunities still abound however it will take foresight to see it and grit to grab it.

On the flip side... I love your comments right from this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1899177/why-youre-not-getting-job

It taught me a lot, and the result? I'm doing extremely well in school and preparing myself for the corporate world. Thanks ma'am.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:21am On Apr 18, 2016
Gerrard59 you have no idea what your kind words did to my soul yesterday. I most times think I'm not contributing much to people. Thank you!

Is there any way we can post that comment on fb here? I think our agric-crazy guys need to see it. Everyone is rushing into agriculture but producing the same things so there may soon be a food glut and prices will fall. I mean, every fish farm I see on Nairaland is growing catfish...when there's a large population who won't eat fresh catfish but are heavy fish or seafood consumers (like my family and extended family).

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.