Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,812 members, 7,798,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119047 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 8:02am On Jul 22, 2016
cococandy:
So I finally got the terranium going.

A for effort but there's so much I could have done better.

use a different plant that doesn't need a lot of sunlight. I didn't read up much about this jade plant before I got it. It was the smallest succulent I could find in that store and I was tired of lugging baby girl around so I just bought it and left. Besides I was too excited to start already so I didn't want to postpone it any longer. Next time I'll use smaller plants so I can fit more into one bowl and make an actual ecosystem in there instead of a lonely plant all by itself. cheesy

Added seashells of aesthetics.

Its absolutely lovely. You are lucky u hv d ease in assembling some of these stuff. Perhaps I don't know where to get simple stuff in lag but sometimes its so much drama for little stuff. Say like identical flower pots at a fair price. I didn't even know where to get them in d first place. I finally had to reach out to a family member who got me simple rubber pots from poundland. I got that little hanging basket too. I'll share some pics really soon.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:05am On Jul 22, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

Its absolutely lovely. You are lucky u hv d ease in assembling some of these stuff. Perhaps I don't know where to get simple stuff in lag but sometimes its so much drama for little stuff. Say like identical flower pots at a fair price. I didn't even know where to get them in d first place. I finally had to reach out to a family member who got me simple rubber pots from poundland. I got that little hanging basket too. I'll share some pics really soon.

They have them abundantly in Lagos. There is somewhere in Ikoyi close to Falomo (right on the road) that sells pots and almost all the professional gardeners sell hanging baskets. I read up online that the brown straw in the hanging basket is actually coconut coir (the outer part of coconut). But it is cheaper to buy the small pots from Poundland (because they sell them for silly prices in Lagos). The bigger flower pots are made in Nigeria so they are cheaper.

I started the thread so we could all help with supplies and stuff and ideas too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:09am On Jul 22, 2016
cococandy:
So I finally got the terranium going.

A for effort but there's so much I could have done better.

use a different plant that doesn't need a lot of sunlight. I didn't read up much about this jade plant before I got it. It was the smallest succulent I could find in that store and I was tired of lugging baby girl around so I just bought it and left. Besides I was too excited to start already so I didn't want to postpone it any longer. Next time I'll use smaller plants so I can fit more into one bowl and make an actual ecosystem in there instead of a lonely plant all by itself. cheesy

Added seashells of aesthetics.

Well done! As per the Jade plant, it's a succulent so it doesn't require much humidity. So put it in an open terrarium and don't water too much.

I should do a post on succulents o. We have Jade plant in Nigeria even.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 1:43pm On Jul 22, 2016
I got the pebbles, shells, one glass pot and the white crushed rocks from the dollar store. A dollar per bag. Small bag. More like a satchel. But it was enough for two terraniums. I was pleasantly surprised. Now I'll be visiting there to get me some decorative stones as well. I never knew one could find useful stuff there.

But the plants I got from a different store. As for the other pot, I used an old storage glass jar. I just removed the lid and used nail polish to paint the screw part of the jar neck so it won't be obvious.. You can always improvise.

Next one I'll do I plan to include old marmalade jars and stuff like that.
stonecoldcafe:

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 1:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
Onegai:

Well done! As per the Jade plant, it's a succulent so it doesn't require much humidity. So put it in an open terrarium and don't water too much.

I should do a post on succulents o. We have Jade plant in Nigeria even.
thanks. smiley

Exactly why I chose it. They don't require a lot to stay alive.

I'll be making some more. This time I'll try to get more creative. Le boo likes them. And he's like "pls line all the windows with 5 each". shocked

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:59pm On Jul 22, 2016
cococandy:
thanks. smiley

Exactly why I chose it. They don't require a lot to stay alive.

I'll be making some more. This time I'll try to get more free tube. Le boo likes them. And he's like "pls line all the windows with 5 each". shocked

Correct!
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:45am On Jul 23, 2016
More of my terraniums.

1. Painted Echeveria spp and jade plant. Front and side view.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:48am On Jul 23, 2016
1) haworthia, moss and one that I don't know the name. (Got from it from somewhere that the name wasn't available).

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:51am On Jul 23, 2016
1) Wine glass terranium. Same Echeveria plant.

2) A different design for the jade that I planted last time.

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 5:01am On Jul 23, 2016
Sempervivum spp. (Green ones in the middle).

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 10:58am On Jul 25, 2016
Absolutely lovely. Coco, you can definitely put this together for someone as per business levels, I daresay.

Well today is my flower day so i'm sneaking some time off to do this. Its more of a cry for help for me especially for one plant. There is this thing that reminds me of a white ghost walker invading my plant. I think its some sort of disease but the poor plant keeps fighting for survival. It still brings out leaves but its flowers are soooooo small and these days it does not come out again. Anyone who knows how i can kill off this white thing growing on my wee plant?

I believe this plant is the Bachelor's Button. It has lovely purple small flowers like that one

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 11:22am On Jul 25, 2016
My attempt at planting small stuff. The first pot is my spring onions. I've taken it to somewhere cooler now. The next is onions and the third pepper. cheesy cheesy grin Someone told me the onion wont grow, that's okay though. I'm more concerned about the pepper instead.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 11:29am On Jul 25, 2016
My little babies: alovera, big fern, smaller fern and I believe scent leaf. These particular set of plants I asked/begged for them. Thanks to my mum and a nice neighbour...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 11:55am On Jul 25, 2016
Something has just begun eating my bitterleaf plant... He's been a good boy ever since until now

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 1:24pm On Jul 25, 2016
My 3 little munchkins... The bachelor button plant should be up with them as soon as its feeling better and free of the white plague...

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 1:31pm On Jul 25, 2016
This is my best plant for now except Lucy of course. I bought this one from the flower guy. I don't know the name but I love the pink spots on the leaf. It adds a little colour to my space. Its quite hardy too cos i bought it in a pure water sachet. I brought it home and added normal soil outside my house and it is thriving till date. Meanwhile, all the ones I took over special care of (even lugging dark rich soil from the seller)didn't survive.

That's me done...

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 6:05pm On Jul 25, 2016
Thank you. smiley

Nice job too on your part.
touchmeder:
Absolutely lovely. Coco, you can definitely put this together for someone as per business levels, I daresay.

Well today is my flower day so i'm sneaking some time off to do this. Its more of a cry for help for me especially for one plant. There is this thing that reminds me of a white ghost walker invading my plant. I think its some sort of disease but the poor plant keeps fighting for survival. It still brings out leaves but its flowers are soooooo small and these days it does not come out again. Anyone who knows how i can kill off this white thing growing on my wee plant?

I believe this plant is the Bachelor's Button. It has lovely purple small flowers like that one
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 5:15pm On Jul 27, 2016
Hi everybody. I'm looking for a specific type of fertilizer for my plants that lack micronutrients. It's iron chelate. If you know where I can buy it or atleast know a company that I can ask, please let me know
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:06am On Jul 28, 2016
oriaburefarms:
Hi everybody. I'm looking for a specific type of fertilizer for my plants that lack micronutrients. It's iron chelate. If you know where I can buy it or atleast know a company that I can ask, please let me know

What quantity do you need? I know someone that works for a fertiliser company.

Touchmeder has turn professional gardener o! Coco, that was well done of you and you picked nice colours for each container.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 12:56am On Jul 29, 2016
For now 1kg is ok. Most importantly I needed to know that I can find it in Nigeria. Can u pass the company contact and location? Thank you
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:43am On Jul 30, 2016
oriaburefarms:
For now 1kg is ok. Most importantly I needed to know that I can find it in Nigeria. Can u pass the company contact and location? Thank you

Hmm, 1kg is pretty small for the 2 companies I know who produce fertiliser. I can't pass on their contact info but I'll ask them for whom you can meet to buy retail.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 11:30am On Aug 02, 2016
Happy new month all ye flower lovers. A bouquet of fresh tropical flowers from the net

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 5:37pm On Aug 08, 2016
I read some stuff off Google and tried it on the plant. I guess its working going by the flowers...

I'm happy with the result

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:13pm On Aug 09, 2016
touchmeder:
I read some stuff off Google and tried it on the plant. I guess its working going by the flowers...

I'm happy with the result

What did you try?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 6:15pm On Aug 14, 2016
Hello everyone, glad to be a part of this community. I have been reading silently for a while now. I have decided to become active. I salute everyone for the great work. Is any one composting?
Onegai:
Gardening Basics

Let's start at the beginning.

Plants need 2 things to thrive: nutrients and water. Notice I didn't say sunlight or soil because there are plants that do well without sunlight (peace lilies etc) or soil (air plants exist which need moisture but no soil).

What's the basis of a good soil? Rich in nutrients. Now, if you live in Lagos, you don't naturally have good soil in your backyard (it's either alluvial or clay). Clay holds too much water and that can drown a plant (same as a human). A good soil 'drains' that means it is loose and allows water move freely through it. Which is why you can get soil and mix it with wood shavings, sand, dead leaves and grasses, so it loosens up. A good soil also have nutrients. You can buy fertiliser or use organic animal dung as manure (chicken poop, goat or coe dung). The easiest way to get soil in Lagos is to approach a gardener and buy a bag of it, N500 and tell them to mix it for you.

Tools

A simple trowel will do. I've attached a pic of mine, it costs N500 at GAME. Also, a plastic spoon and a metal fork. As you get advanced, you may want to get gardening gloves and pruners (Bypass and Anvil) and a shrub cutter. You can find all those in Nigeria. I believe Shoprite or GAME sell a Bypass pruner for N1000. That help in pruning (cutting away) dead or live branches (to encourage new growth or force the plant to send the nutrients to fruiting rather than flowering. More on that later). For florist-y people, floral scissors exist. But to be very honest, I spoke to a top-notch florist in the U.S. and he assured me a sharp knife was better than florist scissors (as it doesn't pinch the nerves of the cut flower so they can absorb nutrients after cutting). So tools are affordable.

Sprinklers and watering cans

You certainly don't need a watering can, But if you live abroad, your neighbours will look at you funny if you don't have one #JudgeyWhitePeople grin. Sprinklers are used with lawns but I've seen people rig a water tub with plastic bottle and use it.

Containers

Anything can be a container. Since most of us attend weddings where they hand out buckets as souvenirs, you don't even need to buy them.

Anyone else wanna add something?

Cc rhukie
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Rhukie(f): 7:00pm On Aug 14, 2016
I finally planted the spring onions in a tea cup but after 2weeks it began to dry up at the tip. Please is it normal/ @onegai
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:15pm On Aug 14, 2016
Rhukie:
I finally planted the spring onions in a tea cup but after 2weeks it began to dry up at the tip. Please is it normal/ @onegai

It takes 3 weeks to mature. Is it in the shade and getting water?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Hello everyone, glad to be a part of this community. I have been reading silently for a while now. I have decided to become active. I salute everyone for the great work. Is any one composting?

Welcome! I'm not composting (No space) but please share your tips and techniques, with pics.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Rhukie(f): 9:28pm On Aug 14, 2016
It is in a shade but it is the water I planted it with at the beginning that is still in it
Onegai:

It takes 3 weeks to mature. Is it in the shade and getting water?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:46pm On Aug 14, 2016
Rhukie:
It is in a shade but it is the water I planted it with at the beginning that is still in it

Put it in soil. It needs more nutrients. If you put it in soil and add a banana peel inside the soil, it should be fine.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Rhukie(f): 7:12am On Aug 16, 2016
Onegai:

Put it in soil. It needs more nutrients. If you put it in soil and add a banana peel inside the soil, it should be fine.
I'll give it a trial
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
Onegai:

What did you try?

Good old baking soda in a spritz bottle. I misted the plant with more emphasis on where the white plage was, the stalk and under the leaves. Loads of rain fell too just before i did this. I think the combination of both helped.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.