Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119435 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 9:32am On Feb 08, 2016
Does cactus count as flowers? grin grin grin grin

I wanna give mine a good rinse and display the pictures wink

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:32am On Feb 08, 2016
Adding some of these to my collection. cheesy
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by djraymy(m): 9:33am On Feb 08, 2016
nice
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by RichYoungNigga: 9:35am On Feb 08, 2016
Some of this flowers won't grow in Nigeria.
Just like planting cassava in America, it will not grow to be cassava, it will turn to a weird tree.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by herboshedhe(f): 9:35am On Feb 08, 2016
Lovely flowers
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rockiedink(m): 9:37am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:
Indian Head Ginger

This is a very sexy plant. Dazall grin

This is perennial shrub, very hardy with a truly, er.... UNIQUE looking flower. Very suggestive looking but I know you're all too mature to be making jokes right now grin. It likes Sun to medium shade and a moist soil (OF COURSE IT WOULD LIKE MOISTURE!! grin). It does well in centre pieces as it lasts long. It usually comes in red flowers as I've never seen any other colour. It looks nice when you plant a lot of them on a border.

So in short...what you're saying is...

It looks like a man's 'member'...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by TheArchangel(f): 9:38am On Feb 08, 2016
I love it but having spent a greater part of my life in a rural area with sand as my toy, I'll pass. No gardening whether as a hobby, leisure or source of income. All I need is a white collar job to boost and cleanse my village mentalities tongue cry. Thanks.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:40am On Feb 08, 2016
MadCow1:
How much for a bouquet of fresh flowers..

12 red roses..

12 white roses

Ask Rosety Gardens. I don't work for them, but I believe they sell most of the commercial roses available in Lagos to all the florists. So it's cheaper buying from them. And you can have them mix up a bouquet of imported and local flowers which are even cheaper and last longer. I keep telling brides this, but they'll prefer to buy fake, cheap-looking stuff when my friend last year paid N20, 000 for 4 bouquets of fresh flowers for her wedding and they were lovely and people were fighting to keep them.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:42am On Feb 08, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
Some of this flowers won't grow in Nigeria.
Just like planting cassava in America, it will not grow to be cassava, it will turn to a weird tree.

Do you realise that all the ones I posted, all grow in Lagos? Or did you not read wherein mentioned Lekki, Ikoyi, VI, festac and Ikeja as places I took pics of them or saw them?

We don't know and appreciate what we have.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:43am On Feb 08, 2016
rockiedink:

So in short...what you're saying is...

It looks like a man's 'member'...

grin I'm a virgin, I don't know what you're talking about.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 08, 2016
Hi. What is the best time in the year to cultivate them in Nigeria?

tearoses:
Tea Roses grin ......one of my favourite flowers
I love the colour, the shape of the flower and most especially the scent.

I managed to get them to grow in Nigeria, but rather than have lots of flowers between May and Aug as it should do, it only has about 7 flowers on the plant all year long. The flowers are also smaller than normal.

"Hybrid tea is an informal horticultural classification for a group of garden roses. They were created by cross-breeding two types of roses, initially by hybridising hybrid perpetuals with tea roses. It is the oldest group classified as a modern garden rose"
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:
Butterfly Pea Vine

It has the most delicious name, ladies.

Get ready... (clears throat):

"Clitoria Ternatea". Because apparently they said the flowers resemble lady parts.
grin grin grin
Scientists are Hot, it is clear to see. Why else will all these naughty names exist to name flowers??

So, I saw a Butterfly Pea vine today in Ikoyi. Really pretty! It's a vine and a climber, so you must plant this and support it with an arch or a doorway or metal arch because it can't stand on its on. It likes moisture. The flowers give a beautiful blue dye which is used as food colouring and its fruits are peas. So it's safe and edible. It actually improves soil quality when you plant it. So it's a good plant, just remember, water and an arch for support.

Btw, the gardener selling this plant called it "roseling". She had zero idea of what it was undecided
This piece would get my sensuality recalibrated once I step through that doorstep.

Dammit!
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by MadCow1: 9:53am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Ask Rosety Gardens. I don't work for them, but I believe they sell most of the commercial roses available in Lagos to all the florists. So it's cheaper buying from them. And you can have them mix up a bouquet of imported and local flowers which are even cheaper and last longer. I keep telling brides this, but they'll prefer to buy fake, cheap-looking stuff when my friend last year paid N20, 000 for 4 bouquets of fresh flowers for her wedding and they were lovely and people were fighting to keep them.

Thanks.

Thought you were a dealer.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2016
Hydrangeas

Very pretty flowers from this shrub, easy to grow everywhere. I met a professional gardener who grows them on the island, yesterday. Or you can ask someone. to get you seeds. They look great in weddings for bouquets and more. The colour of the flowers are determined by the soul's acidity: the more acidic, the colour of the flowers turns to blue. The more alkaline the soil, the more pink the flowers are.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 9:59am On Feb 08, 2016
Nice thread Floriculture thread. Thanks to Onega . I also have some flower pics I will upload here.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by RichYoungNigga: 10:04am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Do you realise that all the ones I posted, all grow in Lagos? Or did you not read wherein mentioned Lekki, Ikoyi, VI, festac and Ikeja as places I took pics of them or saw them?

We don't know and appreciate what we have.

You never said you personally took photos of them in lekki, ikoyi, VI, festac, and Ikeja.
And beside, check the background of those pictures, you will realize how dumb you are.

The houses in the background can only be found in USA, even the beach in the background is in Ikoyi or lekki ??

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:08am On Feb 08, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

You never said you personally took photos of them in lekki, ikoyi, VI, festac, and Ikeja.
And beside, check the background of those pictures, you will realize how dumb you are.

The houses in the background can only be found in USA, even the beach in the background is in Ikoyi or lekki ??

Leave here before we all start insulting you. This is a place of peace and intelligence and if you cannot tell which pictures are shot in Nigeria and which are not, I cannot wast precious moments of my valuable time educating an ignoramus who is rude to me. You're welcome.

6 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:11am On Feb 08, 2016
babythug:
Does cactus count as flowers? grin grin grin grin

I wanna give mine a good rinse and display the pictures wink

Cactus counts smiley gwan snap and come back.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:14am On Feb 08, 2016
MadCow1:

Thanks.

Thought you were a dealer.

Nah, I used to know prices but dollar speculation has killed everything. Do you want to see some samples of some nice cheaper tropical bouquets which will be more interesting than plain roses?

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 10:16am On Feb 08, 2016
Boungainvellea and Double Ixora
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 10:18am On Feb 08, 2016
tearoses:

Thanks coco
Yes these are tearoses smiley

There are another type called Floribunda
I think these were the old English roses gan gan
Their flowers are different and they dont have such a strong scent as the tearoses
That purple one looks like a newer cross that was made in the lab

"Floribunda is a modern group of garden roses that was developed by crossing hybrid teas with polyantha roses, the latter being derived from crosses between Rosa chinensis and Rosa multiflora"
can these be grown in Nigeria? Will be happy to have some in my garden.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:18am On Feb 08, 2016
olerismith:
Boungainvellea and Double Ixora

No pictures came up, please try and post again.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by MadCow1: 10:19am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Nah, I used to know prices but dollar speculation has killed everything. Do you want to see some samples of some nice cheaper tropical bouquets which will be more interesting than plain roses?

This is a very very special week for me and bae.

Roses are what I want.

12 red..

12 White.

Nothing else.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:22am On Feb 08, 2016
Hibiscus

Alright, one of my favourites! We all know this flower, but did you know that scholars say that this flower is most likely called the "Rose of Sharon" in the Bible? Because roses don't grow around the hot Arab area but these are in profusion everywhere.

They come in every colour under the sun. You can plant them easily from cuttings and they like Sun and plenty of water. In fact, the ones we have in Delta state are ginormous compared to the ones growing here in Lagos. I took cuttings from a pink one in festac and planted it outside the family home and it really grew. Then my mum had it cut down because they were "disturbing her lemongrass plant". Thanks mum angry

They don't do well as a bouquet mix because they need water, so plop a few in a vase with water for a centrepiece. But they won't last longer than a day. Random colours like blue and black are usually modified plants and you may not see them here in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:24am On Feb 08, 2016
MadCow1:

This is a very very special week for me and bae.

Roses are what I want.

12 red..

12 White.

Nothing else.

Love Nwantintin grin grin abeg snap and paste for us to admire if you find yourself kneeling down for any reason this week wink

Rosety Gardens 08025697479
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by MadCow1: 10:26am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Love Nwantintin grin grin abeg snap and paste for us to admire if you find yourself kneeling down for any reason this week wink

Rosety Gardens 08025697479

I believe at some point we would both be on our knees.. grin

But I am sure you dont want to see those pictures.. wink grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by RichYoungNigga: 10:32am On Feb 08, 2016
Most of these flowers can grow in Nigeria.
You be pulling pictures from the internet claiming you took the photos.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:42am On Feb 08, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Before you all start insulting me ??
You don't need to educate who is more educated and well traveled than you.

These pictures were not taken in Nigeria.
You can only succeed in making ignorants like you who haven't been to the U.S believe those pictures were taken in Nigeria.
The houses in the background gave you away, them houses in the background can only be found in one country, USA

Shet grin grin I can't even laugh. Oh the irony.

One day may this obodo Amurrica enter mah eyez so I weel be "lucky" like you to go dia! Whatever floats your boat mehnnn.

cheesy
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:44am On Feb 08, 2016
MadCow1:

I believe at some point we would both be on our knees.. grin

But I am sure you dont want to see those pictures.. wink grin

I do wanna see those pics! Me and Le Hubbs are elderly, we don't know the latest styles in town. Abeg make we learn (how does what insert where when you're both kneeling down, are you lying down whilst kneeling down, are you kneeling and facing the same direction, biko talk... )
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by RichYoungNigga: 10:48am On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Shet grin grin I can't even laugh. Oh the irony.

One day may this obodo Amurrica enter mah eyez so I weel be "lucky" like you to go dia! Whatever floats your boat mehnnn.

cheesy

Can you read what's written on this picture ??
Maybe you don't know how to cite , if you fail to do the citation, it's called plagiarism.

I shake my head for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.