Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119441 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:43pm On Feb 14, 2016
kayfra:
I am in the market for a some tons of dried hibiscus on a long term basis. Anybody with good prices should let me know.

There's a guy in Benin City, just across UNIBEN/UBTH gate that should have enough for you.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by kayfra: 4:42pm On Feb 14, 2016
Onegai:

There's a guy in Benin City, just across UNIBEN/UBTH gate that should have enough for you.

Can I get his contact?

Thanks
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 5:30pm On Feb 14, 2016
How is the flower ministry going? No water in our yard this weekend couldn't rinse the flowers grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:30pm On Feb 16, 2016
kayfra:

Can I get his contact?

Thanks

Will get back to you.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Emary(f): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
@OP: Hi, girl! I just want to appreciate you for creating this beautiful thread. Well done!

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
So I made my own can planters, put in some Asparagus fern and Spider plant in them. I used good ol' Quaker oats cans and punched some holes at the bottom, following the tutorial I posted earlier.
They are both indoor plants that purify air and minimu fuss.

For anyone asking: yep, I do take pics of some plants (sweet peas for example) but the picture quality differs. it looks much nicer outdoors than indoors.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:21pm On Feb 18, 2016
Sunflower

These grow in profusion around Ondo state. Like the name says, its a sunloving outdoor plant. It is a heavy eater so give it water and fertiliser. A lot of people don't realise they make a great flower for bouquet or centre pieces, just cut them in the morning. Imagine a yellow and navy wedding.
Sunflower seeds make sunflower oil, which is a healthy cooking oil and sunflower butter, which is prided in cosmetics making. There really is no reason Nigeria shouldn't be producing sunflower seed oil.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:23pm On Feb 18, 2016
Emary:
@OP: Hi, girl! I just want to appreciate you for creating this beautiful thread. Well done!

Thanks smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:01pm On Feb 18, 2016
Alright, let's play!

Who can identify this popular one?

cc Olerismith, Gloriouspa

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:03pm On Feb 18, 2016
Tearoses, please is that a tea rose? I saw it in a neighbourhood in Lekki.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:26pm On Feb 18, 2016
Spider Plant

This is nice and easy to grow. It's an indoor plant which improves air quality by absorbing formaldehyde. It does need a lot of indoor light, so put it near a window from time to time. Give it a well-draining soil and all should be well.

btw, average price of a cement bag of potting soil is N500 on the island. A lot of outdoor gardens in Lagos don't flourish because the soil is bad, and if you really want the best, you may have to consider getting some bags of potting soil. Also, people around my area are considering having small herbs and vegetable gardens in their backyards: fresh organic foods grown right in your home smiley

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2016
Gomphrena

Gomphrena Globus or Globe Amaranth or Bachelor's Button.

Stunning outdoor plant, this one. I don't know much about it, but the professional gardeners around Lekki like it. It's drunk as a tea in Trinidad. It makes the most colourful addition to any bouquet and lasts long (it also comes in different colours). It is quite a hardy plant and give it a good soil and lots of sun.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2016
Onegai:
Tearoses, please is that a tea rose? I saw it in a neighbourhood in Lekki.

It looks like a rose but I cant tell if its a floribunda or a tearose
Does it have thorns?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2016
Onegai:
Sunflower

These grow in profusion around Ondo state. Like the name says, its a sunloving outdoor plant. It is a heavy eater so give it water and fertiliser. A lot of people don't realise they make a great flower for bouquet or centre pieces, just cut them in the morning. Imagine a yellow and navy wedding.
Sunflower seeds make sunflower oil, which is a healthy cooking oil and sunflower butter, which is prided in cosmetics making. There really is no reason Nigeria shouldn't be producing sunflower seed oil.

really!!!
Wow its one of the flowers that I like especially the really tall ones.
Ondo state
Thanks for sharing
Does it flower all year round
here it only flowers in the summer
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2016
tearoses:

really!!!
Wow its one of the flowers that I like especially the really tall ones.
Ondo state
Thanks for sharing
Does it flower all year round
here it only flowers in the summer

Honestly I don't know but when I was in Ondo state, it was a wildflower, all over the place and it did seem to flower for months (and that was rainy season). I took pictures of it last week and its dry season and its flowering. So maybe yes.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:42pm On Feb 18, 2016
tearoses:

It looks like a rose but I cant tell if its a floribunda or a tearose
Does it have thorns?

It does...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 10:25pm On Feb 18, 2016
Those sunflowers go so well with the roses in a bouquet. smiley
Me likey
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 19, 2016
Isn't it funny that the Sunflowers grow wildly in my hometown?

However, I wouldn't dare harvest it. smiley
I've also seen water lilies on a lake. cool
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by ifyalways(f): 10:53am On Feb 20, 2016
Onegai, do you do " truppr run" ?

I saw a lady at today's run with flowers in her car( I guess she bought them on her way to the run today) and resisted the urge to shout Onegai cheesy

I'm starting my first flower garden in April. So help us God. cheesy
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:12am On Feb 20, 2016
ifyalways:
Onegai, do you do " truppr run" ?

I saw a lady at today's run with flowers in her car( I guess she bought them on her way to the run today) and resisted the urge to shout Onegai cheesy

I'm starting my first flower garden in April. So help us God. cheesy

I just started following them on Twitter, I haven't had time to join them! I must join them soonest o... smiley Haha, you should have yelled out. Good on you for starting the flower garden, but biko be careful: a lot of imported species are going for mad prices now, so just try for our local ones and they are still gorgeous. One of my friends just bought and killed a N9, 500 succulent (bear in mind she has actually NEVER grown anything herself, she pays gardeners) grin

Get good potting soil ( I got a bag of black soil, horse and cow manure for N500) and once your plant has started growing roots, then you can repot into your potting soil (the gardener who sold me mine said if I try and nurse cuttings in manure-rich soil, they'll die from excess fertilizer).
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:21am On Feb 20, 2016
Desert Rose plant

Quick, someone post lyrics to the Sting song grin

This is really new to Nigeria but it's a native of Southern Africa and Arabia. This is also known as Adenium and I saw the Adenium Obesum in one of our lah-di-da fancy flower stores in Lagos. So this ain't cheap.

This requires sunlight and can be grown from cuttings or seeds. It's very popular for Bonsai treatment as the trunk can be shaped in all sorts of peculiar arrangements and their roots are not deep so you can use them in shallow containers easily. But it does flower very prettily. The sap is used as a toxin for arrows in hunting. If you're buying it, please it is an investment so demand all the knowledge and care tips and even plant food from the seller.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:23am On Feb 20, 2016
brandnew3:
Isn't it funny that the Sunflowers grow wildly in my hometown?

However, I wouldn't dare harvest it. smiley
I've also seen water lilies on a lake. cool

Is there a tradition against plucking sunflowers in your side cheesy

Water lilies on a lake... abeg buy pro camera, snap it and sell as stock photography.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 12:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
Onegai:

Water lilies on a lake... abeg buy pro camera, snap it and sell as stock photography.

I don't intend on becoming a photographer anytime soon. grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:22am On Feb 21, 2016
I want to share some pictures. I took them while on a visit to Jos sometime last year. Jos is simply amazing; I saw so much precious stuff just growing around wildly. Stuff that I'll personally love to have down south. In addition, the people were super friendly (I was wondering if I was still in Naija at a point) I loved seeing the rocks and the pretty flowers growing around them. I wanted to move there (joke) permanently grin cheesy until a bomb went off the day before I was due to leave. angry cry

Anyways roses and the plucked roses in a vase.

5 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:26am On Feb 21, 2016
When i think of Jos, that's the sort of image i remember. I think that's weed/grass sha but it looked pretty nah.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:43am On Feb 21, 2016
This is another of my mum's plants. Unfortunately, I don't know the name. Years ago, I plucked it from a friends and planted it at home and voila, it thrived. It does not grow tall but spreads about. The flowers don't stay for long though; pluck it and put in a vase and you'll end up with the little purple flowers littering your home. It's a great plant though; a fresh burst of purple especially when planted over a large area. Who knows the name?

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:50pm On Feb 21, 2016
touchmeder:
I want to share some pictures. I took them while on a visit to Jos sometime last year. Jos is simply amazing; I saw so much precious stuff just growing around wildly. Stuff that I'll personally love to have down south. In addition, the people were super friendly (I was wondering if I was still in Naija at a point) I loved seeing the rocks and the pretty flowers growing around them. I wanted to move there (joke) permanently grin cheesy until a bomb went off the day before I was due to leave. angry cry

Mehn I feel like crying when I see these. Those rises are gorgeous and you cannot find any that size down south. Nigeria imports roses now to fuel our large Wedding Industry, people in the North are looking handouts and here we have something that, just growing it and selling in Nigeria, the demand is so high you are sure to make a profit.

Please I call on anyone around Jos: florists down south need your flowers commercially and are willing to pay. Contact them and ask for tips to learn the job. Don't starve and be fighting foolish religious and tribal wars.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:00pm On Feb 21, 2016
Soil Acidity

Certain plants thrive in acidic soils and others in alkaline soil. Now, to conduct a soil test requires cash which, because we are not commercial farmers, I don't believe it's necessary. But if you wish to find out at home if your soil is acidic or alkaline (you won't get an exact pH number sha), try these simple tests:

Vinegar: Take a sample of dry dirt (about 1/4 cup), mix with distilled water to make a liquid "mud" and then start pouring household vinegar (I'm assuming white vinegar is what they use) over top. If the mixture fizzes, it's alkaline.

Baking soda: Mix dry dirt and distilled water as above then start sprinkling baking soda over top. If the mixture bubbles, it's acidic.

If neither test produces a reaction, you have fairly neutral soil.

Distilled water can be gotten by plain boiling and cooling down (if you have time to condense it, great. But I don't). Btw, drinking distilled water is actually not considered good for the body
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 5:14pm On Feb 21, 2016
Flowerpot arrangement.

If you have a balcony that gets a lot of light, you can do a flower arrangement there. Get some plant containers (the made in Nigeria ones are decent and the medium sites is from N600), stack them on top of each other and grow something colourful like Vincas (Rosy Periwinkle) in them. It seems this is the season for Vincas to bloom as everywhere I see them, they look stunning.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 5:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Heliconia

Also known as Lobster Claw.

I saw these in front of a house on Bourdillon and someone has put up pictures of them growing as well here. These are very unique looking flowers and its leaves look like that of a Banana tree. They are outdoor but require shade in the hottest part of the day, lots of water and fertilizer. Yes, they look very nice in bouquets (in Hawaii its a popular wedding flower).

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 21, 2016
touchmeder:

These are gorgeous
Beautiful bold colours
Do they have a scent?
Onegai these are the roses I was talking about
I guess they thrive better in Jos due to the weather
If the growers in the south have a way of keeping the plants cool, Im sure they will thrive
I guess its easier to grow a tropical plant in the cold than the other way round.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 21, 2016
Onegai Im just thinking
I can bring some seeds of different flowers with me and get them accoss to you somehow the next time im around.
We are getting to seed planting time here and soon the supermarkets and garden centres will be flooded with all sorts of seeds.
some will grow, some wont but you can give them a try
Seeds dont weigh much so I dont mind smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.