Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,560 members, 7,809,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

How To Nail A Job Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Nail A Job Interview (1635 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Who Else Got This Job interview Invitation (AC Resources Nigeria) / All Job Interview Questions/answers Covered - Get The Free Ebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 7:31pm On Jan 27, 2016
It's so tough to get a job these days - especially one that pays well. I've been there. So I know how it's like.
You write your CV, dress your best with great hopes and dreams to bag that job, but all you get is, "Thank you very much, we'll call you" but they never do.
The job interview is a crucial step to being employed. If you miss it, then say goodbye to that job.
I worked closely with the CEO of an Information Technology firm and I observed what makes and breaks a job interview. It is with this knowledge that I was shortlisted from 10 candidates, out of so many people, for the position of an intern at the oil and gas firm, Oando plc, here in Nigeria. Guess who was chosen to be an intern? Out of 10 candidates, only 2 were chosen and I was one of them.
So I want to share with you how to nail a job interview. I'll come back to post some tips soon. Comment below if you're interested. Only serious people, please.
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by Godmother(f): 8:39pm On Jan 27, 2016
Nice one OP. Lemme also add that you can scale your interview and get chosen for the job by following these proven tips:

1. Conduct extensive research on the company; find out their vision, mission and goals. Also find out the names of top executives in the company.

2. Read up interview questions and prepare your answers to them.

3. Be well groomed. Your clothes should be neat and well ironed. Also ensure the colours and style are well coordinated not too flamboyant.

4. Act natural and be confident. Its not easy to be confident, especially if you desperately want the job. But just go with the mindset that the interview is not a do-or-die affair and this will calm you.

5. Prepare your credentials and have them ready for siting. Most companies will ask you to come along with your original credentials as well as photocopies. Have these ready a day to the interview so you don't forget. Also go along with extra copies of your CV as you might be needing them.

Source: www.divaclan.com/2015/09/13/7-things-to-do-before-going-for-a-job-interview/

1 Like

Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 10:27am On Jan 28, 2016
Thanks so much for those tips! smiley i really appreciate. smiley
Now it's time for some more tips and tricks.
Key point #1: What you do in the waiting room or reception before the interview is key. Show from the very beginning that you have the qualities to hold the position you're applying for. First impression really matters a lot. Dressing well is VERY important, but creating a great first impression by dressing well is not the ONLY thing you should do.
Smart tip #1: Do something that shows you've got what the company is looking for. For example, if you are applying to be a marketer what quality or skill do you think a star marketer needs to have? Amazing people skills, ability to engage people in deep and heart-felt discussions, ability to persuade, just to name a few. Now how can you show this in the reception? Engage other applicants or other people waiting in friendly discussion. Don't be loud. Be calm and speak intelligently. You never know who's observing you.
I'll give you more tips soon. smiley
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by calculator123(m): 6:38pm On Jan 28, 2016
vicky update the thread.
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 8:51am On Jan 29, 2016
calculator123:
vicky update the thread.

Sure!!! More rolling in!
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by calculator123(m): 9:01am On Jan 29, 2016
vickylawz:

Sure!!! More rolling in!
following bumper to bumper.
vickylawz:

Sure!!! More rolling in!
vickylawz:

Sure!!! More rolling in!
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 9:44am On Jan 29, 2016
Here's another awesome tip:

Key point #2: WARNING! Do not appear desperate. It's a major turn off. And that makes a lot of sense. Why should anyone who is supposedly qualified for the job beg to get employed? If you are confident of your skills and the positive impact you can have in the company, then you would not beg or say sorry statements like "I can do anything, sir. Just hire me and you'll see." or "Give me a trial. You won't regret it, sir." Those statements scream I"M SO DESPERATE! IF YOU DON'T HIRE ME, I'LL DIE! Please DON'T do that.

Smart tip #2: When you are asked what can you do for this company, make sure you put forward your best qualities and strengths. An added bonus will be if you can give a plan of action on how you can advance the aims and objectives of the company. For example: If you are applying for the post of a manager and you have great coordinating skills and you are asked what can you do for the company you can say, "I'm great at coordinating people to do things. As a manager I will draw out a detailed and effective plan to execute any project assigned to me. To ensure the successful execution of the project, I'll motivate my colleagues to act in a coordinated manner. My method of motivating my colleagues involves giving them a clear understanding of the benefits the company stands to gain through the successful execution of the project. Thus, it is our duty to ensure that we work together to move the company forward. If we fail in this project, then the whole company will be in jeopardy. I believe that it is healthy for the everyone to be realistic. So I'm frank and direct."

1 Like

Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 7:28pm On Jan 30, 2016
Key Point #3 No experience is insignificant. You know all those activities that you used to do when you were in school, church, mosque, club, etc for example, being the secretary of the debate club, the PRO of a religious programme, a member of the organization committee of a school party? Yeah, they may not exactly be CV-worthy but they can be experiences worth mentioning.
Smart Tip #3: Look at the examples i gave above. What type of experience or skills would such activities give you? Being a secretary of the debate club means you have experience on how to call for or arrange a meetings, send and write memos to the exco members etc. Being a PRO of the religious group means you have experience in publicity. Being a member of the organiztion committee for a school party means you have experience in organization and events planning. Although you won't be able to mention them in your CV, you can talk about your experiences in such activities during the interview. No experience is irrelevant.
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 9:48pm On Jan 30, 2016
calculator123:

Thanks so much for your interest and support. Thanks for encouraging me to keep going. smiley
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by calculator123(m): 9:53pm On Jan 30, 2016
vickylawz:

Thanks so much for your interest and support. Thanks for encouraging me to keep going. smiley
i gat ur back.
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 10:03pm On Jan 30, 2016
calculator123:
i gat ur back.
Hahaha cheesy You ROCK! smiley
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by calculator123(m): 10:05pm On Jan 30, 2016
vickylawz:

Hahaha cheesy You ROCK! smiley
thanks.
Re: How To Nail A Job Interview by vickylawz(f): 3:43pm On Feb 11, 2016
Sorry i've not been around, guys. I'll make it up to you. wink

Here is Key Point #4: Be punctual. Yeah, yeah, I know that you've heard this one before a million times but I assure you that you've not heard it the way I'm telling you about this simple, yet profound tip.

Smart Tip #4: Coming on time gives you the free time to do some surveillance or more like "detective work". When you come to the place of interview early you jump into the zone of great possibilities. When you come early you:
1. Can survey the work environment to get ideas or inspiration on what can be improved in the area of admin, organization, management, etc. Take note of things you can do, using your knowledge and skills, to solve the visible problems the company has. It is wrong for you to walk in to a company and say "Hey, this place is great. It's perfect." No, nowhere is perfect, friend. There are flaws somewhere in the system and structure and there is something YOU can do about it Always have the mindset of "what can I do to improve this place", your would-be employers would love to know.

2. Can talk to other employees (even if it's the cleaner). There is so much you can learn about them. You can know about the temperament of the boss or people in higher authority. You can learn about how the management works. You can learn about the welfare of the staff of the company. Use this information in a clever way. Let this information guide you on how you should speak to whoever is going to interview you. It gives you the upper hand. At least you won't have to guess how the interview is like when you ask the right questions from the staff.

3. Have access to better opportunities. When you are the first to be there you meet the interviewers when they are relaxed and more agile. If you were late you would be interviewed last. If you are interviewed last, you meet the interviewer tired and irritable and they MAY not even pay proper attention to what you are going to say, no matter how good it is. Don't risk coming late.

Happy new month everyone and Happy Val in advance

(1) (Reply)

Productions Training: Learn On How To Be A Factory Owner Now. / Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! / 2017: List Of Top 5 Internet Forums In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.