Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,575 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False (27876 Views)

Jacob Zuma To Marry Nonkanyiso Conco As 7th Wife / Photo Of Adama Barrow And His Two Wives, The First Ladies / Eritrean Government Law Saying Men Should Marry Two Wives Or Risk Jail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by centvin008(m): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
SaharaReporters has found that reports that the Eritrean government issued a decree requiring all men to marry two women, or face imprisonment, are false. This story was published by several African media organizations, including SaharaReporters, following two days of intense interest on news websites and social media.
According to conversations SaharaReporters had with experts and Eritrean government representatives on Wednesday, the report is now understood to be a rumor originating on social media that later became extremely popular. The rumor later found its way to news websites in Nigeria and across Africa.

On Wednesday morning, a SaharaReporters correspondent spoke with a Eritrean government representative attached to the Eritrean Mission at the United Nations in New York.  The source flatly denied the rumor, and expressed frustration that hoax had gained the traction it had.

Also speaking to a SaharaReporters correspondent on Wednesday morning, Eritrean expert Awet Weldemichael, an Assistant Professor at Queen's University in Canada, stated that he believed the reports were fictitious and “started as a joke” online.

Mr. Weldemichael added that “I have not seen, read, or heard anything credible which would confirm the story.”

“I think it [such a decree] is in the realm of the improbable or impossible,” Mr. Weldemichael said.

According to the false reports, the primary justification for the mandatory marriage was intended to fill the population gap in the country following the Eritrean war for independence in 1991 and the Eritrean-Ethiopian war between 1998 and 2000.

Mr. Weldemichael, however, dismissed the notion that the Eritrean government would solve this supposed “population gap” with a decree forcing all Eritreans to engage in polygamy. In fact, the academic argued, the population of Eritrea has actually increased substantially since the war.

Mr. Weldemichael also stated “if you read [the reports] closely they have no basis in Eritrean tradition, which is almost half-Muslim and half-Christian” and that Eritreans are cognizant of the diverse “belief systems which do not always allow multiple wives.”

The Eritrean government has not published an official statement addressing these rumors at the time of publication.

Editorial Note: A previous story carried by SaharaReporters reporting a Eritrean law requiring men to marry two women was false and has been corrected.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/01/27/fact-check-reports-eritrean-law-requires-men-marry-two-wives-are-false

2 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by lielbree: 7:46pm On Jan 27, 2016
WIKE WIKE WIKE!!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
Don jazzy. Where art thou?

1 Like

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by englishmart(m): 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
what a wise man sees while sleeping, a fool can't see no mattet how high he/she climbs. I knew it was false right from the outset

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
grin

19 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by henrinity(m): 7:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
Hmmn. Sahara reporters why na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by BUSHHUNTER: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
Ah! After I don pay for flight

156 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by keypad1: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
Ok.....we don hear
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by steppin: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by BiggerBangs: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
grin

2 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Moneyyy: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by DexterSmart: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
I hope it stays this way. Forcing a man to marry more than one wife is terrible for guys who love a particular woman with all their hearts and want to spend the rest of their lives with that woman.

5 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
Great
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by iamord(m): 7:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
So all they hype for a false story..... : ( poor journalism
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by keypad1: 7:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
Try this guys. It works 100%

1) close your eyes.

Now you will see that you cant see anything.

See, i told you. You did it. Congrats

(children under 18 years, dont tryt this on your own)

3 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by flokii: 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
I knew it from d start...

it just didn't make sense...

2 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by brunofarad(m): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
Okay
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Kellyakon(f): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
durr
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by winkmart: 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
Anyhow, I have known much about their women now. I must marry from there INSHA ALLAH

abeg, check my SIGNATURE if u want laff tire today

3 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by mazizitonene(m): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
chei embarassed.....after i don sell land to raise money....and i don apply finish embarassed
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by keypad1: 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
GreenWhiteGreen:
grin
y u spoil my messi like this na?
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Aristotle96(m): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
How many likes for Wike? cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by qualityovenbake(m): 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
I know it was definitely a hoax.

Man pikin never fit satisfy one wife finish, na two dem wan make him go marry. Na license to early grave dem wan wish all men 4 dat Obodo.

1 Like

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by thoollz: 7:50pm On Jan 27, 2016
I still dey go there o. Who knows, dem fit enforce such rule wey go favour person. Cabman, take me to d airport.
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
grin wiked people I nearly send sickstars packing for morning... Thank goodness...
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by murphyibiam15(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
y
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by rollUP(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
But them chicks fine oooo

1 Like

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Aspireahead(m): 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
there is nothing in the report above(from the quote) that says the decree is false. the prof. spoke based on probability

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by isrealisaac: 7:52pm On Jan 27, 2016
awa oh wat an imagination rumour two wife on one slim hungerid man
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by Adesiji77: 7:53pm On Jan 27, 2016
Ok
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by jaylister(m): 7:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
a
Re: Reports That Eritrean Law Requires Men To Marry Two Wives Are False by amarachi06(f): 7:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
OMG! and my brother was preparing to travel this weekend.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South African Police Kill Striking Miners! / Israeli Govt Forms Emergency 'war Management Cabinet' To Prosecute War On Hamas / Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum Dies At 75

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.