Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:02 PM

Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (987 Views)

"Suitors Now Prefer Our Maids To Our Daughters For Marriage" - Nigerian Parents / Should Married Men Tell Their Wives How Much They Earn? / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by DaVinci24(m): 7:24pm On Jan 28, 2016
Being a parent is not a very easy job, it comes with a lot of responsibilities. Although parents teach their children not to tell lies, they can be the ‘masters’ of lies themselves.

All parents are guilty at some time or the other of telling some ‘harmless white lies’ to their children to get them to do something.

All over the world, parents lie to their children but some lies seem to be specific to Nigerian parents

Here are some of the common lies peculiar to Nigerian parents.

1. If you eat beans you will be tall:

Majority of us must have heard this line from our parents just because they want us to eat beans. Beans is nutritious but a lot of children hate it and refuse to eat. In order to make them eat it, parents have to tell a little lie.

2. If you swallow orange seed, it will grow out:

Some children were told by their parents that if they swallowed the seed of an orange, it will grow out of their body.

3. When I was your age I always came first:

Most Nigerian parents love their children to take first position in class at the end of a term so they can boast of having a brilliant child. If every Nigerian parent came first in their class, who took the other positions?

4. If you drink coconut water you will be dull:

Just because they don’t want you drinking coconut water, they tell you it will make you dull. Some of the parents said it out of ignorance though. Maybe that’s what their own parents told them.

5. Mummy got pregnant from eating overfeeding:

You know children can be very inquisitive and sometimes parents can’t give them the answer to their questions. Parents give their children this answer when they ask how mummy got pregnant.

6. Tell me the truth, I won’t beat you:

When mummy or daddy wants to get you to confess to a crime, they promise they won’t punish you. But, once you tell them the truth, they pounce on you and don’t keep to their earlier promise.

7. Lend me your savings, I will pay back:

You lend them the money and when it’s time for them to pay, they remind you of all the food you’ve been eating and all the things they’ve bought for you.

8. Go and wear your shoes, I will wait for you:

When you want to follow your parents out and they don’t want you to, they deceive you into going inside to get your shoes and before you return, they are gone.

9. Tell the person at the door I am not at home or I’m sleeping:

When your parents don’t want to receive visitors and they make you lie.

10. If you play with boys you will get pregnant:

Some parents have no idea how to talk to their girls about the opposite sex and pregnancy, so this is the best line they could come up with.

Feel free to add yours.
cc: lalasticlacla
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by crazyabbey(m): 7:25pm On Jan 28, 2016
Who off Light!!!! angry
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28pm On Jan 28, 2016
number 6 is a classic. grin
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by Zico0(m): 7:33pm On Jan 28, 2016
I like that no. 5 - nice lie
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jan 28, 2016
grin
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by goodmorning40: 7:35pm On Jan 28, 2016
masquerades come from ant hole
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by LOC1(m): 7:41pm On Jan 28, 2016
On point..........number 8 though.......

Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by ShakurM(m): 7:47pm On Jan 28, 2016
Don't eat while standing because it will go to your leg
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by Sparrow13: 7:51pm On Jan 28, 2016
Give me the money that uncle give you so that I will keep it for you
Re: Top 10 Common Lies Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children by resty4(m): 8:12pm On Jan 28, 2016
Real parentg no b rice n stew esp on dz indomie,jet n cmp generatns.

(1) (Reply)

Pre Wedding Photos Of A real Soilder And His Beautiful wife / He Has Refused Releasing Her Personal Properties After Divorce / Seven Things You Should Give Your Spouse Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.