Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States (46193 Views)

Six Telecoms Operators May Lose Licences Over Call Masking, Refilling (names) / Telecoms Operators Set For Tariff Hike / NCC Withdraws ‘data Floor Price’ For Telecoms Operators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Luvlydevin(m): 6:26am On Jan 29, 2016
Telecom operators have threatened to shut down network services in seven states over closure of Base Transceiver Stations (BTS) by the state governments.

Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) Chairman, Engr. Gbenga Adebayo, while addressing a press conference on the state of the industry yesterday said Ogun, Ondo, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Osun and Kaduna states are treating telecoms industry as an extractive sector by imposing myriads of taxes on operators and closing down the BTS sites arbitrarily.

ALTON’s chairman said many sites in the listed states have been shut down or about to be shut by agents of government not minding the security and economic implications on their states.

According to him, the Association has resolved that its members will not reopen any sites closed by state or local government authority.

“The arbitrary sites closure without following the Nigeria Communications Commission, (NCC) guidelines and best practices will no longer be tolerated,” he added.

He noted that ALTON’s members continue to record cases of sites closures in many states in an attempt to force service providers to pay local taxes and levies.

He said some of these levies and taxes are multiple in nature because most of them are only aimed toward telecom operators.

He said, “We are considering very carefully the situation of site closure and harassment of our members in some of those states and we may begin anytime soon to have them feel the impact of their actions on telecom operators if they do not desist from deliberate disruption of our operations.”

He said ALTON will serve the necessary warnings and if such practices continue: “we are then faced with two options: first is to pay the charges by such state government, and to increase the tariff chargeable for calls originating and terminating from networks in such states: With all the attendant service delivery issues.
“Where such actions on the part of government continue: we shall then advise all our members, after due consultation with relevant authorities, because of the security and economic implications, to shut down the entire network in such state for one full day as a final warning to such state or local government area. Enough is enough.”

He appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to place a presidential declaration on “telecom Infrastructure as Critical National Security and Economic Infrastructure” as provided by the cybercrime law of 2015.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/operators-threaten-to-shut-telecom-networks-in-7-states/131252.html#6BkJPdUL5GS0ylbo.99

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Oche211(m): 6:36am On Jan 29, 2016
Oil prices are down. State nd local Governments looking for any way to make money after federal govt fine on MTN was a hit back to back.
*FTC for me this morning is also a FP hit back to back*

11 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Ameboperoo(m): 6:55am On Jan 29, 2016
can they do that? I doubt. If they do, it will be an advantage to other networks in the area. Their customers will just switch network. After all, an average Nigerian uses more than 1 SIM card.
Modified;
I should have known that this thread would make fp but I was doubting. I could have been the ftc.
Lesson learnt. Never procrastinate.
But is there any price for 2nd btw? Who will I send my account number to please?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Luvlydevin(m): 7:09am On Jan 29, 2016
Ameboperoo:
can they do that? I doubt
nothing. Is impossible

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Youngpo413: 7:49am On Jan 29, 2016
They should go ahead,I can't remember the last time I browsed with sim card,I'm using wifi,free wifi and I don't even know its source,fast too.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by amobyk29: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2016
Haha... That's not fair
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Generalkorex(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2016
Go ahead na.
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Dragonking: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2016
I know osun state must be there...Aregbese with his crooked ways....God forbid!! angry angry

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Amastermovic(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2016

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by kennyman2000(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Hmmmmmm.. The states governments should be considerate to them cos the state governors themselves will be affected should they go ahead to shut down network.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by kirchofff(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Dafuq is ALTON?
Never heard of dis b4

6 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by joey150(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Who cares??
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by greenhope(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
This will affect the economy and business in general and I saw this coming and even published an article on it

1 Like

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Saheed9: 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Pls o
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Hysmady(m): 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Lol
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by looseweight: 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Abeggy, I have some friends working in the telecom industry, make una no shut anytin down for now ooo grin

8 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by datola: 8:28am On Jan 29, 2016
Nigerians, always threatening.
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Miracle4Sure: 8:29am On Jan 29, 2016
SMH
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Raymondville(m): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2016
Ok nah
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by ksstroud: 8:29am On Jan 29, 2016
Luvlydevin:
nothing. Is impossible

You could be right
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by ademega(m): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2016
reason y ondo town has been in network darkness since last two weeks. e no easy
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by fowlyansh181(m): 8:29am On Jan 29, 2016
Nigeria _stupidly stupid
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by lekezino(m): 8:30am On Jan 29, 2016
okay

3 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Daniel058(m): 8:30am On Jan 29, 2016
If I hear.. Ebo...
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Nobody: 8:30am On Jan 29, 2016
Ondo...chai.......wetin carry me cum school for hear sev.........
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Kreamie(m): 8:30am On Jan 29, 2016
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by luthorcorp: 8:31am On Jan 29, 2016
Is that why empty--hen deducted my 15bucks this morning without my concent?
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Xzbit91: 8:31am On Jan 29, 2016
Engr Gbenga, it pays to pay your tax or is this a new development

5 Likes

Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by Firstb0rn(m): 8:31am On Jan 29, 2016
Iranu
Re: Telecoms Operators Threaten To Shut Down Operations In Six States by okolimike(m): 8:32am On Jan 29, 2016
Pls oooo I just have to use here to find out if this SMS is true....
Mtn requesting me to update my sim using my BVN number...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do I Download Opera Mini To My Nokia 3110c / 5 Reasons Why Android Still Beats The Iphone / How To Get MTN 500MB With Just 100 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.