Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria (40403 Views)

Naira Firms On Black Market After Central Bank Action - BDC Traders / Remittance: CBN Raises BDC Exchange Rate To N385/$ / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 9:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
Obipat:
oga, I sold 100 dollars @ rate of #304 on tuesday to BDC. Get ur facvts right. Have u see a dollar before except on TV?
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by yoddy(m): 9:32pm On Jan 29, 2016
naijamark:
The biggest scammers are Mastercards and Visa. Those guys are sipping tea in their American office robbing us blue-black with the help of their partners in crime, Nigeria banks. On Monday I was charged 400 Naira to £1 on a POS, not even ATM so no transaction charges.

Mastercard/Visa would collect their settlement in $$$. Na naija banks dey make killing cos na from CBN dem go buy some of this $$$ at the official rate.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 29, 2016
ElDeeVee:

It's very terrible bro. 400 is just crazy.

How that side na?
Baba I dey. The uselessness of Naira is frustrating me.
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by woli2shehu: 9:35pm On Jan 29, 2016
Adesiji77:
President Muhammadu Buhari has rejected calls for the resumption of the sale of foreign exchange to Bureaux de Change (BDCs), describing the Bureau de Change business as a “scam and a drain on the economy”. “We had just 74 of the bureaux in 2005, now they have grown to about 2,800,” President Buhari said at an interactive session.

http://businessdayonline.com/2016/01/bdcs-now-a-scam-and-drain-to-nigeria-buhari/
This is the president that mean good for the country .
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
When I say I love this man and his sincerity some people will call 4 my head who on earth will have the mind to take on this BDC people that has been scamming nigeria all this years and draining our dollar reserve.bet me wailers will not c this one.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by gcof(m): 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
Please where else can an average Nigerian get dollar bill asides bdc?
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by MCRUEMUS: 9:37pm On Jan 29, 2016
nnachukz:
What does he know about economic activities? Remember he failed maths and economics in the WAEC result awarded to him by his Principal. To him everything he doesn't understand is a scam and corruption.
at least for once lets appreciate this decision he took

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by M4gunners: 9:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
When you take a look at his assessment, you will quickly understand he is just confused . For God sake who do business for almost 11 years without hoping for progress?
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by mansadi(m): 9:42pm On Jan 29, 2016
kekakuz:
[size=20pt] remember they are your brothers
Zombies chanting Sai baba Sai baba
Now you don win and they Don become scam.
All I need is one chance[/size]

If he had done nothing about them you would have called him selective, now he takes a stand because he doesn't see a northerner but a Nigerian scamming he's fellow countrymen and you still open your mouth and complain. Kai, your hypocrisy is beyound repair.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by godox2(m): 9:50pm On Jan 29, 2016
nnachukz:
What does he know about economic activities? Remember he failed maths and economics in the WAEC result awarded to him by his Principal. To him everything he doesn't understand is a scam and corruption.

Your hatred for PMB and Nigeria will soon lead you to, SIX feet below. PMB and NIGERIA will keep SOARING like EAGLES.
Nigeria Will be greater and stronger than before.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
Kruzilano:
local banks buy at 199 4rm cbn nd sell at 305... Will u kal da scam? Mehn u aint gat anytin 2 say.. Shut d fvck up

You are the one to shut the fu!ck up.. banks buy dollars from the BDC. CBN DOES NOT SELL DOLLAR TO BANKS FOR LUXURY ONLY BTA and PTA which you get at 201(Because CBN sell to them at 198) ... Don't quote when you know nothing about the system.

If the banks suspend your card from working abroad, you complain.. So they purchase from BDC in order to meetup with customer demands especially card payments online. And BDC Sell to them at 240 - 266.

Mr man, better swerve.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
Itsekiriman101:

I am surprised that more Nigerians are not complaining about them. I exchanged N81 to 1 Ghanian Cedi on Mastercard today. These same people will collect it at N52 from CBN. I think they should be banned from Nigeria. Thieves they are

So many rates: official rate, bank rate, BDC rate, black market rate etc. The same day I was charged 400 Naira to £1 by First bank, Stanbic IBTC bank charged me 372 Naira to £1. When I called First customer care I was told "the rate is fixed by Mastercard and not us". Now how come do I get charged at different rates for using two Nigerian bank Mastercards on the same Mastercard platform?
I am amused at the way Nigerians are not speaking out. What's going on? Everyone is just there forming rich kid, rich man when we could collectively speak up and address this issue.
Mastercard rate to official/bank rate disparity isn't just unfair, it is wicked.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by ngoziama: 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2016
kennyman2000:
Northerners are the ones who're into BDC. Buhari isnt supposed to stop sales of forex to them based on the fact of northerners caucus things but he STOPPED THE SALES.
with this. I can confidently say, Buhari mean well for Nigeria as a whole.

God bless the federal republic of Nigeria.
God bless president Buhari.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband.

God help us.we bring in sentiments into everything. Are you a business man or woman otherwise you won't be saying this. Who is deceiving who.buhari stops sale of foreign exchange to bdc yet bdc is where the business men are buying from.buhari is only enriching his brothers. Get there and see the serious mega deals going on there.buhari is only destroying legitimate business. You cant get anything from the bank as I am talking to you. Whether the banks now sell to bdc to make money is up to them but the corruption going on there will be worse than the claimed arms deal scam by fg.
Nigerians should start looking at several qualities before choosing her leader.Apart from integrity, the leader must be intelligent, well lettered and exposed. Must be abreast with international issues that pertain to economy and other vital issues.If we dont start searching for such leader then darkness will keep shinning more in nigeria.even the most remote part of this world where people go about naked, such economic policies can never be made.
Buhari, your brothers are the only ones selling dollar and pounds so which scam is worse than what is already happening.
Nigerians I do business but right now all the banks I have gone to said they dont have foreign currency but if you go to bdc you will get.so tell me my gain when I buy dollar at 300naira.
The masses are dying of these foolish policies.
His adamant attitude will definitely shred nigeria to pieces because the spirit of entrepreneuship which is the backbone of the success stories of countries like china, india and even the usa is almost dead in nigeria.Sound Education is key to success and where it lacks there is bound to be chaos in such system.
Thank God kenya has opened its doors to nigerian business men owing to buhari's visit.buhari thanks anyway but ahhhhhh there is wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2016
Very true. Please Mr. President, kindly Sack the person who is in charge of approving them or regulating them. He should not be there again for failing to see the risk in approving 2000 plus BDCs.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by kennyman2000(m): 9:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
ngoziama:

God help us.we bring in sentiments into everything. Are you a business man or woman otherwise you won't be saying this. Who is deceiving who.buhari stops sale of foreign exchange to bdc yet bdc is where the business men are buying from.buhari is only enriching his brothers. Get there and see the serious mega deals going on there.buhari is only destroying legitimate business. You cant get anything from the bank as I am talking to you. Whether the banks now sell to bdc to make money is up to them but the corruption going on there will be worse than the claimed arms deal scam by fg.
Nigerians should start looking at several qualities before choosing her leader.Apart from integrity, the leader must be intelligent, well lettered and exposed. Must be abreast with international issues that pertain to economy and other vital issues.If we dont start searching for such leader then darkness will keep shinning more in nigeria.even the most remote part of this world where people go about naked, such economic policies can never be made.
Buhari, your brothers are the only ones selling dollar and pounds so which scam is worse than what is already happening.
Nigerians I do business but right now all the banks I have gone to said they dont have foreign currency but if you go to bdc you will get.so tell me my gain when I buy dollar at 300naira.
The masses are dying of these foolish policies.
His adamant attitude will definitely shred nigeria to pieces because the spirit of entrepreneuship which is the backbone of the success stories of countries like china, india and even the usa is almost dead in nigeria.Sound Education is key to success and where it lacks there is bound to be chaos in such system.
Thank God kenya has opened its doors to nigerian business men owing to buhari's visit.buhari thanks anyway but ahhhhhh there is wahala.

sorry abt that. Its well!
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 29, 2016
Seun:
Why.must the CBN sell it to them at 200 naira when the market price is 300 naira? Why should they sell at 200 naira when people are willing to buy for 300 naira?

It's like selling your car to someone for 50 naira and expecting him to sell it for 100 naira when it normally goes for 1 million naira. If the person does that it means the person is a fool. And nothing stops the person that bought it for 100 naira from selling it to someone else for 1 million naira. It's an outdated approach that doesn't work.

CBN Deals in the official rate of N197 - N199. CBN is not black market so do not compare CBN or expect CBN to sell at 290 unless Naira is officially devalued.

Who made the price N301? Is it not the BDCs? Most of these BDC are licensed to sell in bits to end users. Instead they sell to big companies in bulk so they go short of dollars quickly so as a result, they go extra mile to get the dollar thus making them sell at N301. Tell me, is it CBN Fault? CBN ask them to sell to End Users(Individual Nigerians and maybe small businesses) but they choose to sell to large importing companies and banks to make more money(Greed) and this reduce their dollars.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by samento: 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2016
victorels:
Really.

Every form of business is a scam. The government is shouting because they are not the ones benefiting from it.

Central bank should take control of all e-transactions in Nigeria and push visa card and mastercard out of operation in Nigeria so that they can be able to track every transactions made for international purposes.
Read and re-read what you wrote. Does it make any meaning to you.
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Bevista: 10:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
naijamark:
The biggest scammers are Mastercards and Visa. Those guys are sipping tea in their American office robbing us blue-black with the help of their partners in crime, Nigeria banks. On Monday I was charged 400 Naira to £1 on a POS, not even ATM so no transaction charges.
Easy pal, it's not the international card issuers. When you make a transaction, the card Issuer settles on your behalf. But then, your bank has to settle the card Issuer eventually. So your bank charges your Naira account using their own exchange rate and then settle the card Issuer with the FX equivalent.
---
If it was MasterCard or Visa, you would see a uniform exchange rate across all Nigerian banks. But rather, what you see are different exchange rates set by the various banks.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by tammie24: 10:04pm On Jan 29, 2016
This guy don dey impress me sha
We can only hope for the best
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
victorels:
Really.

Every form of business is a scam. The government is shouting because they are not the ones benefiting from it.

Central bank should take control of all e-transactions in Nigeria and push visa card and mastercard out of operation in Nigeria so that they can be able to track every transactions made for international purposes.

What are you saying? Does it make sense to you? Without Visa Card and MasterCard how do we make payments? We should go back to 1960 right?

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by emi14: 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2016
coolsix:
He is right. A BDC will get dollar at N199(N205 max) and sell at N301. Is it fair? Scammers
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
Seun:
Why.must the CBN sell it to them at 200 naira when the market price is 300 naira? Why should they sell at 200 naira when people are willing to buy for 300 naira?

It's like selling your car to someone for 50 naira and expecting him to sell it for 100 naira when it normally goes for 1 million naira. If the person does that it means the person is a fool. And nothing stops the person that bought it for 100 naira from selling it to someone else for 1 million naira. It's an outdated approach that doesn't work.
What solution do you then suggest
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by fashrola(m): 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2016
victorels:
Really.

Push visa and mastercard out of operation in Nigeria? Bros u dey hear urself?

1 Like

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by globalresource: 10:33pm On Jan 29, 2016
nnachukz:

See this enemy of development and ethnic bigot

Grow up plz

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by playtheblues(f): 10:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
Am in Uyo.

Go to Allen Avenue in Lagos you will see a mixture of Yoruba and Hausa BDC operators, though most of us prefer the Hausas there..., go to Idumota and Ajao Estate (Airport rd) you will find Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa there. enter airport, Sabo, Yaba, Ebute Meta East, Sulurere the same thing.

UrbanMystique:
lol and you, you stayed in Onitsha to speak for the whole world abi?. Every sabo in south west you will find northerners dominating bdc market. Same with north central and entire north .. Yet you disagreed that northernerners are the major players in bdC market because a Onitsha one city out of over 150 cities in Nigeria has couple of Igbo's in bdc ... Oya clap for your self.
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by Bolade005: 10:38pm On Jan 29, 2016
UrbanMystique:
wole shoyinka also failed waec. What's your point ?
Wole Soyinka did what? Guy easy on your lies man. Pls, where did you learn that from?
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by freemandela4(m): 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
nnachukz:
you have brain. for you to reason this way,
nnachukz:
you have brain. for you to reason this way,
nnachukz:
you have akamu brain. for you to reason this way,
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by vainfairy7474: 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
RedCapChief:
Whether the BDCs are a scam is a debatable point.

What is actually worrying is how Buhari seems to have taken charge of making technical decisions about our economy. I stand to be corrected, but he doesn't have any qualification in economics/finance or any allied discipline.
The other day, he was quoted as not being "convinced about the benefits of devaluation." I don't know if he has the technical skill to make the understand financial jargon. If it was Emefiele that was not convinced, that is understandable as he is a professional. But Buhari??

so you only attended school to read & write?? I say "receive sense"!! as if he doesn't consult advisers & analysts @ his disposal, before making a pronouncement?? anuofia
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by RedCapChief(m): 10:51pm On Jan 29, 2016
vainfairy7474:

so you only attended school to read & write?? I say "receive sense"!! as if he doesn't consult advisers & analysts @ his disposal, before making a pronouncement?? anuofia
Get thee behind me
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by badmouf(m): 11:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
I honestly do not like to comment because Nigerians are too sentimental. At a point in our lives when we are accused of our lack of knowledge on certain issues, we reply- our teacher has not taught us. NOW that we have no teachers, can't we educate ourselves?? Lets assume a BDC operator buys 1million dollars from CBN at 200million naira, becaue of insatiable demand he seems immediately at 300n/dollar totalling 300million naira...that is a profit of 100million naira for a twenty minutes job!!! Nigeria will lose 5.2billion naira to one Nigerian because CBN actually subsidies dollars for BDC. Now multiply that by 1000 BDCs. And someone is saying Buhari was wrong to cancel salesof dollars to BDC?? I PITY THE SENTIMENTAL NIGERIAN. THAT TALKS OR SHOULD I SAY COMMENT BEFORE ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by mavinc4u(f): 11:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
coolsix:
He is right. A BDC will get dollar at N199(N205 max) and sell at N301. Is it fair? Scammers

same thing with banks and banks case is even worse
Re: Buhari: BDC Is A Scam And Drain To Nigeria by lilyheaven: 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2016
nnachukz:
like seriously! cheesy
nnachukz:
like seriously!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Andrew Alli Jams Elnathan John On Twitter / Warri Billionaire Ayiri Emami & Son Dress To Match / How Does OLX Make Profits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.