Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,836 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today (48660 Views)

Cleaner's Son Gets Employed At Her Workplace (Photo) / An Office Cleaner Needed Urgently in Ikeja / Urgent Vacancy - Office Cleaner In Lekki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by dimtee: 8:53pm On Jan 29, 2016
First class or 2.1. In Nigeria today does not show. He/she worked for it even. A lower grade. Can performed better if he earned it people pay their way tru today. So. What do u expect parent at times are involved I have seen things in this country o
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Khan1993: 9:11pm On Jan 29, 2016
Dont just go to school. Get educated.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by aadoiza: 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2016
OP. Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! I'm not antithetic to criticism, but next time you wanna vilify people make it tantalisingly constructive, then it'll be greeted with my corroboration. Besides, you don't seem to possess the awe-inspiring and mind-shattering wherewithal you crave but I can say you are among the lucky ones. Sometimes an interviewee fails to impress in an interview gets in on trial and eventually turns out to a great employee. Abeg I'm outta here.

3 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Khan1993: 9:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
vhatpweetygurl:
ThE truth is tht your company already knows who they wanted the interview was just a stage drama but you the interviewers already picked your candidate.....How can one of you just suggest the office cleaner? Was he not there with you guys before you started the project fame? SMH
never under rate a cleaner.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by gbemyn(f): 9:17pm On Jan 29, 2016
That's GRACE @work...ore ofe sha
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:34pm On Jan 29, 2016
musicwriter:

What you're talking about is an Africa-wide problem, which yourself and everybody else is a victim. It's due to western education which is not fit for the training of an African mindset.

Western education train us to pass exams, instead of teaching us to conceptualize a subject/topic. So, at the end we're just making photocopy of education from Britain and France, instead of learning on our own terms. There's no real education happening anywhere in Africa. Our government even made it worse in Nigeria due to underfunding of education.

Africa is on a looooooong thing.

Please do not insult British education, if Nigeria truly copied the western style of education , we would have been at par with them
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:39pm On Jan 29, 2016
aadoiza:
OP. Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! I'm not antithetic to criticism, but next time you wanna vilify people make it tantalisingly constructive, then it'll be greeted with my corroboration. Besides, you don't seem to possess the awe-inspiring and mind-shattering wherewithal you crave but I can say you are among the lucky ones. Sometimes an interviewee fails to impress in an interview gets in on trial and eventually turns out to a great employee. Abeg I'm outta here.

Yes sometimes an interviewee may perform badly an interview and turn out to become a stellar employee however, there is a greater chance of such an employee underperforming.

I share your views about giving people life changing opportunities but not to the potential detriment of the business
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by oyinmykel: 10:02pm On Jan 29, 2016
@OP, pot calling kettle black

'I and my colleague..........' is that a good structure
SMH

as for the 6, better luck next time

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ayomisrael: 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2016
@OP...even you have failed in your lexical structure- " I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role." I wonder if you are competent enough to conduct an interview and am more disappointed in you.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ayomisrael: 10:06pm On Jan 29, 2016
@OP...even you have failed in your lexical structure- " I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role." I wonder if you are competent enough to conduct an interview. I am more than disappointed in you.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by oyinmykel: 10:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
ayomisrael:
@OP...even you have failed in your lexical structure- " I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role." I wonder if you are competent enough to conduct an interview and am more disappointed in you.

interviewer indeed
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by ladenz(m): 10:07pm On Jan 29, 2016
Why can't people just state their opinion without resorting to insults. It's so lowlife.

Anyway my opinion is that the oga that suggested the cleaner is his long lost brother and he doesn't want anyone to know and so he gave him the question before hand and he did juju on the other applicants and his brother got the job and they lived happily ever after.

Last to comment

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by kenoz(m): 10:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
Village people @ work on those graduates
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by MindMatics(m): 10:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
D film get part 2.....
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by psalmsjob: 10:46pm On Jan 29, 2016
autolearner:
[size=10pt]Learning Isn't about going to school but tapping into the wealth of experiences around. That was what shone off the said cleaner. He/She has seen and learnt from his immediate environment. Kudos to the man who invited the cleaner in!

"Ti Ewe Ba Pe Lara Ose, Ose Lo Ma Da". - "When a Leaf Stays Too Long On a Soap, It Becomes a Mini Soap"

Oro/Word!

Our dearest Nigeria graduates only read to write exams and bribe to pass exams because it was bribe that got them there at first.

Real education for some/most Nigerian fresh graduates ended when they were in SS3-1st-Term the rest na-wash.

We need to stop corruption in our educational system to massively advance as a nation.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Heineken(m): 10:49pm On Jan 29, 2016
DgRaNdShErifF:

I am astoundingly nonplussed on how you used the words "Nigerian graduates" so loosely when you happen to be one.

I'm afraid you are a big disgrace to the universe.
to the universe? God I Don die. Boss you get mouth pass me mbok.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 29, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Well like you said he had better answers becos he has worked for your company long enough. So what else do you expect? You that is "Mr know it all" will find yourself in some organisations and fields and see how dumb and daft you are when they ask you some questions. Why didn't you ask them questions relating to their fields of study? I am sure when you too were a graduate you didn't even know these questions you are asking them.
always quick to open those smelling mouth in criticism.
God bless you is an understatement. U made my day friend.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by SweetJustice: 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2016
Rather they...what did I call it.."get their poo together", some of them are on nairaland 24/7 campaigning for likes and FTC .
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by amanikondo: 11:36pm On Jan 29, 2016
You see the evidence of poor education here on Nairaland. If you read so many threads here, Na so our leaders of tomorrow will be throwing BOMBS.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Olaleen(m): 11:40pm On Jan 29, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Naija graduates, please get your shit together. angry angry angry

name of your company,let me come and bail graduates out...
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by broxymall(m): 11:54pm On Jan 29, 2016
i have nothing to say but this Control your pride Mr Op one of the six graduate might be far richer than you in the future..
you can't tell
learn from cosmos maduka

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by emyrald91(m): 2:08am On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

my nigga... go and smoke more weed. this one no go well with u.
LIE MOHAMMED
referral indeed. linkedin ko Whatsapp ni!
please wake up you too Dey snore.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by mya1: 2:13am On Jan 30, 2016
Kelklein:
I get ur point

you see,,, an average 3rd class grad in Nigeria will comfortably make 1st class abroad..it's all about the system under which things are done here, which the appropriate authority need to do something about.

I won't take it anywhere when anyone for whatever reason heaps the entire blame on the poor Nigerian graduate.

And I also understand a lot of them need to broaden their horizon like you said. I agree

At emboldened, really?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Raalsalghul: 2:29am On Jan 30, 2016
PubLlcEnemy:

Well like you said he had better answers becos he has worked for your company long enough. So what else do you expect? You that is "Mr know it all" will find yourself in some organisations and fields and see how dumb and daft you are when they ask you some questions. Why didn't you ask them questions relating to their fields of study? I am sure when you too were a graduate you didn't even know these questions you are asking them.
always quick to open those smelling mouth in criticism.
Your words might be uncouth, but I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by Raalsalghul: 2:35am On Jan 30, 2016
Kelklein:
the issue here is not what I have for anyone's grade

it's about people like you( a product of the same system o) who come online to say nigerian graduate this, Nigerian graduate that

what is wrong with you advising your company to see how they can pick some, like 4 or 5 of the thousands that must have applied to ur sh*tty vacancy, then take some time to tailor them to your taste

but no..they are looking for ready-made graduates

sorry..the same way there are no ready-made jobs out there... there are no ready-made graduates too

tell ur dumb boss that!
Bros! You've said it all! May God bless your generation. To think he can come here and criticise Nigerian when he is a product of the same system?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by nnaochie1: 2:42am On Jan 30, 2016
badttrader:
no stay there while Op is taking correction. Every other thing you said is another topic...create your thread and air your viewsOp. So you even have time to listen and respond to the bashings, na wa oo. I hail you.
Its unfortunate that our youths have come down to this level. God help us. This thread is supposed to be a wake up call to we Nigerian graduates especially those in the job market but no, instead they attack the poster.
Attending a university is not enough, self development is key. Its funny that most graduates go around almost begging desperately for jobs. You have to be able to offer something (apart from your certificate).
I want to enjoin all graduates to develop themselves, know their strengths and weaknesses, have something you are passionate about and above all, be focused, don't just go wherever the wind takes you.

I am saying all these as a corper.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by delishpot: 6:21am On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:
Let me start off by saying at this point i believe Nigerian graduates have a lot of work to do. Its taking a lot of effort for me to contain the level of disappointment im currently feeling towards our university leavers. I work in a multinational company and i have had the chance to partake in the interview process of some roles the company advertised. Most of the time im usually appalled at the errors and goofs i see on CV's. So let me get to the main story.

Six graduates came into the office this morning to interview for an internship position. Which was going to pay a basic salary and also some nice commissions. All the interviewees were very disappointing despite the very easy questions which was for a very simple role. In fact none of them showed enough quality to half consider them for the job. undecided

After the last person left, I and my colleague had already given up and hoped to do a fresh advert for the role. But 1 other person that was present at the interview was a senior staff from our foreign headquarters. And he suddenly suggested that we give the office cleaner a chance. At first i thought he was saying it out of frustration but this guy was damn serious. Long story short, we called the cleaner in and he handled our questions well and even scaled through 80% of the objection statements we threw at him! Whats more is that this guy isn't exactly educated and he even stammers! WTF !!!! Agreed he might have had better answers because he knows some more about the company having worked with us for a while, but still on still!...to outshine 6 graduates!...ah. shocked

Finally finally we have decided to take him on a trial role and give him the required training. Im still shocked beyond belief.

Did you let them know what company was calling?
What kind of questions did you ask them ?
What were your expectations from them?
Did they apply with cover letters?
I would like to know these.

But truly Nigerian graduates have lost their quality. 80% graduate by cheating and bribing their way through school and even at that, they lack the desire to learn and update themselves. Our youth have been abused and failed by the society. Poor teaching skills and strategy, poor class rooms and even poorer vission for their future. The youth need to sit up and the government need to back them up too.
We need to encourage ourselves, if we fall down and no one offers us a hand, we should try to get up ourselves.
I remember in IMSU around 2000-2001 a pal of mine was studying computer science and he said for the past 2 years they were not given a computer to work with. NOT 1ce. He had to register in a computer school to get first hand knowledge. What a shame. And the lectures were forcing them to pay before they could use a computer some years into the course. How do you expect such a person to graduate with 1st class knowledge in his chosen field? Poor boy later travelled abroad to do his masters. Imagine if he was from a poor home?
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by pinkshell(f): 7:33am On Jan 30, 2016
[/quote]

To me, you said nothing here.
U only opened dis post to make complaints .
And thank God there was a foreigner who gave a 'common cleaner' a chance.

U cld have ended ur post by highlighting what dis cleaner did that the graduates didn't do.
U wld be helping a whole lot of youths here, who wld be fortunate enuf to appear for interview in future.

U can still do dis by opening a new thread, and asking that the moderators push to front page. Cheers.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by sdavirus: 8:00am On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:
Let me make a few things clear.

1. This is NOT gnld or whatever you call it company.
2. I will assume those of you asking for the company name simply want to try and apply, that's fine, but i do not entertain rudeness so i wont mention the name.
3. We have enough resources for proper advertisement including via linkedin but it wasn't used in this case. Everyone interviewed was based on just referrals. It just an internship role so why spend so much on linkedin.
4. 80% of comments i see make me quite saddened as to the mentality of today's youths.

With the kind of comments on your thread, it's clear to see why we are backward. What you said is just the plain truth.... We have dark hearts in this country, and people wonder why they aren't moving forward.

I was on a panel myself last week, and graduates can't even defend what's on their CV.

Thé problem is not just the graduates.... Useless lecturers can't offer what they don't have either... Thé system needs an overhaul.
But anyone that can't go the extra mile for himself, isn't ready for life, ahead.

Anyone with half a brain will know u didn't mean all Nigerian graduates.
I've noticed there's just a lot of bitterness, in our hearts. Such a shame.

No need wasting your time, trying to make people sit-up.
It's also a big shame, the number of likes, these appalling comments have.

2 Likes

Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by bobosh02(m): 8:03am On Jan 30, 2016
monacobull:

How on earth can u say *Nigerian graduates* cos 6 graduates flopped during d interview, I can imagine d kind of question u people askd dem cos dere is no way dere won't b one brilliant and intelligent one among d 6 of dem,am sure u also graduated frm one of d nigeria universities,if so u shud also b ashamed of ursef cos dere re people who graduated same year u graduated frm one of our nigeria universities and dey re employing people like u and paying dem same amount of salary or even above dat u re receiving in d company where u re now
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by badttrader(m): 8:04am On Jan 30, 2016
[quote author=nnaochie1 post=42451531][/quote]

I think you are the one who needs to corrections. We all know that there is enough decay in this generation of youths so please don't try to justify anything here.
Re: How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today by badttrader(m): 8:04am On Jan 30, 2016
nnaochie1

I think you are the one who needs to take corrections. We all know that there is enough decay in this generation of youths so please don't try to justify anything here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Third-class Graduate Now Turning Down Job Offers From Multinationals / 5000 Nigerians To Be Employed As TSTV Launches October 1st / Entry Level Inventory Analyst In An Oil And Gas Firm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.