Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,153 members, 7,807,516 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54311 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:17pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:
I don't it is ever possible to travel back in time, not in this macro universe.. Time may slow down, run at different pace at space/time but never backwards.. If time travel was ever possible to mankind where are the visitors from the future?

You are saying what I said. We already do Time Travel. But we travel only forward in time. We can't go backwards in time in the practical world. But going back in time is THEORETICALLY possible. What do you know about "time dilation" and "four velocity"?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 7:53pm On Feb 01, 2016
micodon:

You are saying what I said. We already do Time Travel. But we travel only forward in time. We can't go backwards in time in the practical world. But going back in time is THEORETICALLY possible. What do you know about "time dilation" and "four velocity"?

Time dilation is the relativity of time in contrast to a Constant which is the speed of light..

The speed of light remains exact same for a body either in motion or not but their perception of time varies.

"Four Velocity i think is the equivalence of velocity which is a vector value in our three dimensional space but this time in a four dimensional space.

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2016
Cc. lalasticlala mynd44 can we please my brothers have this in the front page a bit
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:40pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:

Time dilation is the relativity of time in contrast to a Constant which is the speed of light..

The speed of light remains exact same for a body either in motion or not but their perception of time varies.

"Four Velocity i think is the equivalence of velocity which is a vector value in our three dimensional space but this time in a four dimensional space.

bros, I didn't ask for definitions.... DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS? In a nutshell, every object in the universe is moving at 4 velocities (3 in the spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension). THE SUM OF THESE VELOCITIES ALWAYS EQUALS THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Therefore, when you go faster in the spatial dimensions, your velocity in the time dimension reduces relative to your velocity in the spatial dimensions. Let's represent this in a simple equation. X + Y + Z + T = c. Where X, Y, Z are the velocities in your Cartesian coordinates, T is your velocity in the time dimension, and c is the speed of light.

Now what happens when you reach a velocity that equals c in your spatial dimensions? We make T the subject of the formula, like so.... T = C - (X + Y +Z). Because x+y+z = c, T = 0. So at the speed of light, time stops for the object. That is why light photons are ageless... They travel at c, so T for them = 0.

Now what happens when You go past the speed of light in your spatial dimensions? That means (X + Y + Z) becomes greater than C. Therefore time becomes negative. What does it mean for time to flow in the negative direction? I leave you to answer that.

This is all fine Mathematically. But according to Einstein, the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe.. Nothing can go beyond it. That's where going back in time fails in practical

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 8:47pm On Feb 01, 2016
micodon:

bros, I didn't ask for definitions.... DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS? In a nutshell, every object in the universe is moving at 4 velocities (3 in each spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension). THE SUM OF THESE VELOCITIES ALWAYS EQUALS THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Therefore, when you go faster in the spatial dimensions, your velocity in the time dimension reduces relative to your velocity in the spatial dimensions. Let's represent this in a simple equation. X + Y + Z + T = c. Where X, Y, Z are the velocities in your Cartesian coordinates, T is your velocity in the time dimension, and c is the speed of light.

Now what happens when you reach a velocity that equals c in your spatial dimensions? We make T the subject of the formula, like so.... T = C - (X + Y +Z). Because x+y+z = c, T = 0. So at the speed of light, time stops for the object. That is why light photons are ageless... They travel at c, so T for them = 0.

Now what happens when You go past the speed of light in your spatial dimensions? That means (X + Y + Z) becomes greater than C. Therefore time becomes negative. What does it mean for time to flow in the negative direction? I leave you to answer that.

This is all fine Mathematically. But according to Einstein, the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe.. Nothing can go beyond it. That's where going back in time fails in practical

Very precise and coherent ...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Kangol99(m): 9:09pm On Feb 01, 2016
K
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by hancock(m): 9:14pm On Feb 01, 2016
The truth is out there
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by omoolope2019(m): 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
Question for the gods
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2016
oopss sorry wrong thread.....can some one help me with directions to the politics section.?....i have a meeting there shortly

BTW why doesn't nairaland have a rule 17?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by kay29000(m): 9:16pm On Feb 01, 2016
No we are not. You are not even alone in that room you think you are alone in. LOOK BEHIND YOU!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2016
taurus25:
This is one of the frequently asked questions man has asked for hundreds of years since science began to unravel many mysteries in the universe.

I personally began to ponder upon this question since the tims when i learned that the sun is a star, and there are billions I'd stars in the galaxy and trillions in the observable universe.

Of this incredible number, millions of stars have planets orbiting them, may of which have been observed to have conditions that might be suitable for life on earth as we know it.

From simple probability, only one star out of millions capable of hosting life is about 1/1000000 =0.000001. This has a slight chance of happening i.e its unlikely that only one would. But this is just mere probability and not any basis for conclusion.

Also, the mediocrity principle tells us that the earth occupies no special position in the galaxy or the universe.

Now, this brings us some considerations

1) Is there any other form of life elsewhere in the universe?
2) if there is, are they in any way as complex as man?
3) what if there were complex life in the past before the formation of the earth that are maybe now extinct
4) what if complex life just began evolving somewhere else
5) would complex life elsewhere evolve similar to us or maybe perhaps there is a planet with something like intelligent birds
6) what if there is complex life present somewhere but due to vastness of space it is impossible to reach nor communicate with them

The universe is so random that what is normal to us what we and ones before us have adapted to, there are endless possibilities but vastness of the cosmos makes our knowledge limited.
These same thoughts of yours have been bugging my mind these past few months especially when I look up in the sky and see how vast it is..... I just feel its not just possible that as massive as the universe is with the earth being nothing but a speck of dust compared to the universe's size, earth is the only place that has life on it.... cmon.... think about it.....

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Brianpat(m): 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
There are two distinctive ways to look at this issue raised. The biological (scientific) and the biblical (theologic) biologically, according to Darwin's evolution theory, if the necessary and sufficient conditions that made way for. humans and other organisms to evolve as they were, then it is possible that in the universe there is a particular planet in a particular galaxy That most have had the same conditions as on earth hence we may not be alone. Biblically, of all the planets, God all might closed earth as "his foot stool" hence we are the only of our kind in the universe.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Amberon11: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2016
No we're not. There are demons.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amberon11:
No we're not. There are demons.
WTF
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Amberon11: 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2016
you got a prolem with that?
johnydon22:
WTF
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Charlesdock(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2016
*rushes into thread with my pop corn. Astronomy My love kiss

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by segcymoor(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2016
Hmnn

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 9:32pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amberon11:
you got a prolem with that?
Serious problems because i can't wrap my head how a human is thinking like that... Didn't you read the Op or you just don't have no idea what the universe is or you are just imagining Universe to mean "Earth?"

this is no place to regurgitate and swim in your religious beliefs and superstition which has exactly nothing to do with the subject being discussed ..

the topic at hand is much more larger than that

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Oritna94(m): 9:34pm On Feb 01, 2016
We are not alone and have never been.Something inside tells me so.

3 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by kkash: 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2016
As much as I wld like to say time travel is slightly impossible, I believe if it were anywhere possible, going to d past wld be much easier dan goin to d future, d future has soo many unknown variables....and I dnt fink we are alone in d universe, its illogical to say we are
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:38pm On Feb 01, 2016
micodon:

bros, I didn't ask for definitions.... DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS? In a nutshell, every object in the universe is moving at 4 velocities (3 in each spatial dimensions and 1 in the time dimension). THE SUM OF THESE VELOCITIES ALWAYS EQUALS THE SPEED OF LIGHT. Therefore, when you go faster in the spatial dimensions, your velocity in the time dimension reduces relative to your velocity in the spatial dimensions. Let's represent this in a simple equation. X + Y + Z + T = c. Where X, Y, Z are the velocities in your Cartesian coordinates, T is your velocity in the time dimension, and c is the speed of light.

mehhn see as I just dey do like olodo dey look una,issorite

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by reyscrub(m): 9:39pm On Feb 01, 2016
nwadiuko1:
oopss sorry wrong thread.....can some one help me with directions to the politics section.?....i have a meeting there shortly

BTW why doesn't nairaland have a rule 17?

Oooooh sorry, bros I pity your limited horizon, in fact I fall in love so much for d topic & big bros discussion in the house to the extents dat I was jotting some points.

You can belief dat I am an accountant and double as programmer.

There is a fact dat someone who is scare of small street stream, d day he will fall inside a river, he will not survive it.

Better derive pleasure in any thing high power information.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by kay29000(m): 9:39pm On Feb 01, 2016
HapyOne:

I believe is possible or better still, it's already happening to some extent. For those of us that do believe in extraterrestrial powers/beings or what we commonly call witches and wizards or awon Iya ooo... These beings could disappear and appear in another place, I believe what is happening is just time manipulation, they are able to travel close or at the speed of light which makes everything still to them thus they can now move to their destination and reduce their speed to normal, making us think the just disappear and appear like that. For example if you look at a very fast running fan, at some point you might not see the blades of the fan, but they are their is just that they are moving two fast for you to notice imagine an human can do that and move that fast, you won't see the person. I believe this is another way of doing time travel, but maybe one is not travelling to the future can't really say.

About the future or past, recall the theory of special relativity.
The mechanism for traveling into the distant future is to use the time-dilation effect of Special Relativity, which states that a moving clock appears to tick more slowly the closer it approaches the speed of light. This effect, which has been overwhelmingly supported by experimental tests, applies to all types of clocks, including biological aging.

If one were to depart from the earth in a spaceship that could accelerate continuously at a comfortable one g (an acceleration that would produce a force equal to the gravity at the earth's surface), one would begin to approach the speed of light relative to the earth within about a year. As the ship continued to accelerate, it would come ever closer to the speed of light, and its clocks would appear to run at an ever slower rate relative to the earth. Under such circumstances, a round trip to the center of our galaxy and back to the earth--a distance of some 60,000 light-years--could be completed in only a little more than 40 years of ship time. Upon arriving back at the earth, the astronaut would be only 40 years older, while 60,000 years would have passed on the earth. Such a trip would pose formidable engineering problems, but I know is way possible maybe not now but very soon.

Time travel into the past, which is what people usually mean by time travel, is a much more uncertain proposition. There are many solutions to Einstein's equations of General Relativity that allow a person to follow a timeline that would result in her (or him) encountering herself...

And so on like that.....................

I know time travel is possible, and it will happen. I really need to correct some things in the past.

Just my thought though smiley grin wink

Dude, you just blew my mind. I wish more threads like this would make frontpage.

4 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:39pm On Feb 01, 2016
johnydon22:

Serious problems because i can't wrap my head how a human is thinking like that... Didn't you read the Op or you just don't have no idea what the universe is or you are just imagining Universe to mean "Earth?"

this is no place to regurgitate and swim in your religious beliefs and superstition which has exactly nothing to do with the subject being discussed ..

mehnn see word,issorite
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by KakiP(m): 9:40pm On Feb 01, 2016
I dig this conversation in physics from you all.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by E383: 9:41pm On Feb 01, 2016
krattoss:
ever heard of U. F. O.?

That is a hoax. There has been no proof of the "UFO" hoax.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Amberon11: 9:41pm On Feb 01, 2016
per the bolded : what part of my statement limits the universe to mean earth? you didn't hear me talk about religion either.

hello? so your atheist mind doesn't even know sh!t about demons and you go about giving crappy theories about them.

By the way, you don't exist. You're just a figment of my imagination. After all w haven't met before, have we?
johnydon22:

Serious problems because i can't wrap my head how a human is thinking like that... Didn't you read the Op or you just don't have no idea what the universe is or you are[b] just imagining Universe to mean "Earth?"

[/b]

6 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:42pm On Feb 01, 2016
reyscrub:

Oooooh sorry, bros I pity your limited horizon, in fact I fall in love so much for d topic & big bros discussion in the house to the extents dat I was jotting some points.

There is a fact dat someone who is scare of small street stream, d day he will fall inside a river, he will not survive it.

why u dey yab the guy na
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by nwadiuko1(m): 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2016
reyscrub:

brother I get your point accurately, am an accountant too who doubles as a writer...... but an not cut for this kinda topic......cheers
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Karleb(m): 9:45pm On Feb 01, 2016
Without reading your epistle, I believe that we are not alone in the universe.

We live here because we adapted to the earth's environment other creatures (alien) I believe, also adapted to some cumbersome environment of planets of galaxies that's light years away from Earth although I do not have a theory to prove my claim.

But unlike what we watched in Battleship, Star Trek and other sci-fi movies, I do not believe these aliens have technologies that's far ahead of what we have here, our technologies differs but saying their's is superior to our's in all ramifications is a fallacy.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by erusen: 9:46pm On Feb 01, 2016
Amberon11:
per the bolded : what part of my statement limits the universe to mean earth? you didn't hear me talk about religion either.

hello? so your atheist mind doesn't even know sh!t about demons and you go about giving crappy theories about them.

By the way, you don't exist. You're just a figment of my imagination. After all w haven't met before, have we?
calm down,johnyydon na correct guy,what he was saying is don't bring religion into physics thread,we know say demon dey sha,we wan just see am first,just joking science is atheist in nature,is very obvious .

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by matrixme(m): 9:48pm On Feb 01, 2016
I am glad to finally stumble on some thoughtful thread, other than Denrele's new shoes. I really don't think we are alone in the vastness of the universe. I think there are other worlds and civilizations out there that betters our advancement in all ramification and others that beats theirs in that order.
I think humanity is the basic form of a distinctive existence, like single cell protein to something complex, like Chameleon. Like how we have the planets spread out in our solar system in orderly fashion, and how every living organism gets classified orderly too. The big question is do the inhabitants of other worlds out there share our belief systems (like Jesus dying to save their kind and all) Are they United or separated by petty differences?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

The Puff Adder We Killed Under My Neighbour's Orange Tree This Morning / Solar Eclipse Hits Nigeria (Video) / How To Install Solar Panels & Inverter For Home-step By Step Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.