Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine (1318 Views)

Protestant Could Not Accept Catholic Doctrine Leading To Broken Courtship / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Why Are Yorubas Few In The Roman Catholic And Also Few Yoruba Revd Fathers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 10:51pm On Jan 30, 2016
Here is a conundrum. In south america which is a mainly Roman Catholic part of the world there is an epidemic caused by the Zika virus.

it is caused by being bitten by a mosquito and it results in your baby being born deformed if you are pregnant.

There is no cure and the only preventive measure that the governments can advise people is to not get pregnant.

However these are Catholic countries and the doctrine of Roman Catholics forbids the use of Contraceptions.

If you are a married couple and you are trying to avoid pregnancy because of Zika, how are you going to do this? It seems the only way is to NOT have sex.

Is it really acceptable to advise a married couple to not have sex, rather than to have sex with a contraceptive, at least a condom?

What is the way forward for Catholics here? any suggestions?
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by SalC: 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2016
Learn the natural family planning methods, stick carefully to it and that solves it.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 11:38pm On Jan 30, 2016
SalC:
Learn the natural family planning methods, stick carefully to it and that solves it.

What's that? would you care to make an exposition for us here.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by SalC: 11:43pm On Jan 30, 2016
PastorAIO:

What's that? would you care to make an exposition for us here.
Sorry I don't think I wanna do that. Though it isn't rocket science. smiley
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Igbaba2: 12:22am On Jan 31, 2016
As a church, abstinence should be preached, though pple violate dis doctrine of abstinence buh der's notin church can do dan to preach it. If pple are given d chance to use contraceptive den, many pple'll abuse it.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 1:46am On Jan 31, 2016
the only thing that comes to mind for me is Onanism, but the church already condemns that.
Sorry, I'm not a rocket scientist. Ultimately you've contributed nothing if you can't explain what you mean.

SalC:
Sorry I don't think I wanna do that. Though it isn't rocket science. smiley
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Geist(m): 10:37am On Jan 31, 2016
PastorAIO:
the only thing that comes to mind for me is Onanism, but the church already condemns that.
Sorry, I'm not a rocket scientist. Ultimately you've contributed nothing if you can't explain what you mean.

I want to believe catholism encourages natural family planning. Maybe that's what salc was referring to.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 10:44am On Jan 31, 2016
Geist:
I want to believe catholism encourages natural family planning. Maybe that's what salc was referring to.

What is Natural family planning? Can you give me some examples of it's practices?

EDIT: Okay, I've just had to google it. it's about watching the menstrual cycle abi?
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Geist(m): 10:57am On Jan 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

What is Natural family planning? Can you give me some examples of it's practices?

EDIT: Okay, I've just had to google it. it's about watching the menstrual cycle abi?
yes. It is based on observation of the naturally occurring signs and symptoms of the fertile and infertile phases of a woman's menstrual cycle and abstaining when she's fertile.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 1:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

Here is a conundrum. In south america which is a mainly Roman Catholic part of the world there is an epidemic caused by the Zika virus.

it is caused by being bitten by a mosquito and it results in your baby being born deformed if you are pregnant.

There is no cure and the only preventive measure that the governments can advise people is to not get pregnant.

However these are Catholic countries and the doctrine of Roman Catholics forbids the use of Contraceptions.

If you are a married couple and you are trying to avoid pregnancy because of Zika, how are you going to do this? It seems the only way is to NOT have sex.

Is it really acceptable to advise a married couple to not have sex, rather than to have sex with a contraceptive, at least a condom?

HUMANE VITAE, GOOGLE.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 1:19pm On Jan 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

HUMANE VITAE
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 1:29pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ubenedictus:
HUMANE VITAE

I would appreciate a conversation rather than 3 words.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jan 31, 2016
PastorAIO:

Humanae Vitae is a papal encyclical written by Pope Paul VI. In this encyclical which was written during the time when Protestant churches were beginning to allow the use of contraceptives, the Pope condemns all contraception including onanism as intrinsically evil and as against God's natural law. In other words Catholics are not allowed to alter the sexual act through any means. Catholics therefore are to abstain from sex during times when the wife is fertile. That is natural family planning(NFP) from a layman's point of view.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 7:30pm On Feb 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

sorry if dat came out wrong, i wanted to point u to a good starting point. if we rule out d very old documents, a easy to find document on contraception is humanae vitae.

It is a good place to start d discussion and provides d solution to d problem u wrote abt.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 11:51am On Feb 03, 2016
Papist:

Humanae Vitae is a papal encyclical written by Pope Paul VI. In this encyclical which was written during the time when Protestant churches were beginning to allow the use of contraceptives, the Pope condemns all contraception including onanism as intrinsically evil and as against God's natural law. In other words Catholics are not allowed to alter the sexual act through any means. Catholics therefore are to abstain from sex during times when the wife is fertile. That is natural family planning(NFP) from a layman's point of view.

I'm curious about this natural law.

How is Natural Law determined?

What is natural law to be contrasted with? Supernatural Law? Or Artificial (man made) law?

Why is natural law held in such high esteem, over other laws (I presume that there are other laws)?
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 12:16pm On Feb 04, 2016
More questions on Natural Law.

Does the use of drugs for illness contravene natural law?

When a short sighted person uses Spectacles does he contravene natural law?

Does Agriculture contravene Natural law? Once man discovered that he could plant seeds and cultivate the growth, the surface of the earth changed. Instead of things growing naturally where they fell they were deliberately planted in plantations while other plants on the same field were uprooted as weeds. This had a debilitating effect on the soil. Was this an abuse of nature?

When God made the Sun stand still over Gibeon, was this contravening natural law? If so, then how come God can contravene natural laws but we shouldn't?

I've never heard of anything as vague and amorphous as this Natural Law. Please help.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 1:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
PastorAIO:

What is natural law to be contrasted with? Supernatural Law? Or Artificial (man made) law?

Why is natural law held in such high esteem, over other laws (I presume that there are other laws)?

Natural law, i knew i shuld have listened when i was taught abt it bt unfortunately it isn't my forte. natural law is d stuff 'written in d heart' to tell man right and wrong even b4 d laws was written on papper.
Much of what u wrote above has no connection to natural law.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 3:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
PastorAIO:
More questions on Natural Law.

Does the use of drugs for illness contravene natural law?

When a short sighted person uses Spectacles does he contravene natural law?

Does Agriculture contravene Natural law? Once man discovered that he could plant seeds and cultivate the growth, the surface of the earth changed. Instead of things growing naturally where they fell they were deliberately planted in plantations while other plants on the same field were uprooted as weeds. This had a debilitating effect on the soil. Was this an abuse of nature?

When God made the Sun stand still over Gibeon, was this contravening natural law? If so, then how come God can contravene natural laws but we shouldn't?

I've never heard of anything as vague and amorphous as this Natural Law. Please help.
As earlier defined, taking drugs, planting or stopping d sun in themselves do not go against d natural law, they have little to do wit it.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 10:26pm On Feb 07, 2016
PastorAIO:

Natural law is contrasted with revealed moral law on one hand and civic law on d other. It is interesting because it suppose to b in everymans hearts, i.e everyone whether secular or religious should follow its dictates.

It gets even more interesting, this natural law may b clouded by sin and culture so dat many may not even see or accept it, in these cases d church claim jurisdiction is reminding men of it. Natural law is d reason why d catholic church thinks all govt should ban abortion, she believes dat it is not a religious issue but a human issue, contraception, euthanasia...are all issues d church discusses under natural law as well as marriage in a sense and sanctity of human life.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by PastorAIO: 11:04pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Natural law is contrasted with revealed moral law on one hand and civic law on d other. It is interesting because it suppose to b in everymans hearts, i.e everyone whether secular or religious should follow its dictates.

It gets even more interesting, this natural law may b clouded by sin and culture so dat many may not even see or accept it, in these cases d church claim jurisdiction is reminding men of it. Natural law is d reason why d catholic church thinks all govt should ban abortion, she believes dat it is not a religious issue but a human issue, contraception, euthanasia...are all issues d church discusses under natural law as well as marriage in a sense and sanctity of human life.

I looked it up. It stems mainly from Aquinas. I have some interesting questions I'd like to probe, but right now my head is in a different space.

I always raise a dubious eyebrow whenever I hear the word 'natural' cos I've never heard it defined by anyone. But please bear with me and I'll get back to you on this matter but the end of this coming week.
Re: Challenge For Roman Catholic Doctrine by Ubenedictus(m): 11:01am On Feb 08, 2016
PastorAIO:

I looked it up. It stems mainly from Aquinas. I have some interesting questions I'd like to probe, but right now my head is in a different space.

I always raise a dubious eyebrow whenever I hear the word 'natural' cos I've never heard it defined by anyone. But please bear with me and I'll get back to you on this matter but the end of this coming week.
it is older than aquinas, goes back to cicero and augustine.

The natural is dat law written 'in d heart' of men ordering them to good and forbiding them from evil.

(1) (Reply)

The Return Of Yahweh From The Bottomless Pit / The Cure For Desert Places 2016 / On Christmas Day - 7 Notifications To All Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.