Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:28 AM

Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! (2574 Views)

Picture Of Nnamdi Kanu At The Court Today / CCT Trial: Saraki Heads To Supreme Court / Saraki: Court Yet To Issue Warrant Of Arrest To Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Emperoh(m): 11:33am On Jun 30, 2009
The prolonged governorship tussle in Anambra State is far from being over as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in the April 14, 2007 election, Dr. Andy Uba, has filed a fresh lawsuit at the Court of Appeal in Enugu seeking an order directing that he was duly
“elected” governor by virtue of the gubernatorial election of April 2007.

He is also requesting that the court direct that he take over from Mr. Peter Obi on March 17, 2010,
when the tenure of incumbent governor is due to lapse.
The Supreme Court had penultimate week declared as null and void Uba's election as governor at the April 2007 poll.
The apex court also berated Uba's lawyers for bringing an already decided case to the court.

But undaunted, Uba, through his lawyers led by Ajibola Aribisala (SAN),
is seeking a motion barring the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) from conducting
a fresh election into the office of governor pending the determination of the new suit. No date has been fixed for the hearing.
However, a source told THISDAY last night that the appellant is seeking a declaratory order of
the court on an earlier judgment by the Court of Appeal, Enugu.
"We are seeking a declaratory order on an earlier judgment by the Court of Appeal, Enugu,
the apex court on gubernatorial election disputes that Dr. Andy Uba remains the duly elected governor of
Anambra in the April 14, 2007 election," the source said.
He said the appellant wants an order of the court to pronounce him as the elected governor of Anambra State
having won and been declared winner by INEC in the April 14, 2007 election.
The Supreme Court had penultimate week terminated the struggle by Uba to reclaim what he called his mandate on account of the 2007 governorship election as the court said the matter was closed.
The court also came down heavily on his lawyer, J.B. Dawodu (SAN),
for bringing the application even when Uba's previous lawyer knew that the action was wrong.
Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Idris Legho Kutigi, who presided on the application for a judicial review,
said that the court carefully considered the arguments of parties through their lawyers and came to the conclusion that it was a gross abuse of judicial process.
He said that the court could not re-open the case that had come to the court three times and had been decided on merit, adding that it is a trite law that there must be an end to litigation.
The Supreme Court had on June 14, 2007 in what could be termed a locus classicus in law restored Obi as Governor of Anambra State and ordered Uba to vacate the Government House as according to it, the tenure of Obi would lapse on March 17, 2010.
The apex court in the unanimous decision of seven justices of the court held that INEC erred when despite the pendency of the matter went ahead to conduct elections into the office of the governor of Anambra State when the said seat was not vacant.
The court in the lead judgment delivered by Justice Iyorger Kastina-Alu held that “there being no dispute that Governor Obi took his oath of office on March 17, 2006, his tenure of office shall expire on March 17, 2010.”
INEC admitted that it was aware of the pendency of the suit and still went ahead to conduct an election into an office that is not vacant.
“The office of the Governor of Anambra State was not vacant as at the time of the elections,
Andy Uba should immediately vacate the office for Peter Obi to complete his term of office,” he added.
Citing the provision of Section 180 (2) of the 1999 Constitution Kastina-Alu held that a governor’s term of office begins to run from the day he took the oath of office.
Section 180 (1) of the 1999 Constitution reads, “Subject to the provisions of this Constitution, a
person shall hold the office of Governor of a State until - (2) Subject to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, the Governor shall vacate his office at the expiration of a period of four years commencing from the date when-in the case of a person first elected as Governor under this constitution, he took the oath of allegiance and oath of office.”
The court mainatained that since Obi took the oath of office on 17th March 2006 he could not be said to have completed his four years in office as governor
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Emperoh(m): 11:37am On Jun 30, 2009
When will this basterdisation of court process end?
When will this lawyers and so called SAN's earn their intergrity?
Isn't there an end to a litigation?

Well lets see where this one ends. Maybe they may have promised to rule this one in his favour
Let me see how the court of appeal will rule on a matter already adjudicated on by the Supreme court!!
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by sley4life(m): 11:57am On Jun 30, 2009
Andy, go to H^ ell
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by sheriffman(m): 12:21pm On Jun 30, 2009
Andy Uba again,it's either this man has a problem or maybe his lawyers are the
one's compounding his problems by not telling him the truth point blank.
But evwn then I beliebve that Andy Uba has proven to us
all that he's just a man desperate for the seat of the Governor.
Granted he can aspire within the ambients of the law but to me, I think
he knows he can never win an election in Anambra state again even if he can contest
(since his Godfather is now in Otta not Aso Rock) thats why he's in this legal race to win by all means
who knows maybe if the court fines him very well this time around he will think wisely b4 goin
ços I dont know how a lower court can reverse the dec ision of the supreme court.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Didier1: 12:42pm On Jun 30, 2009
don't you understand that the idiot is a cash cow? i'm sure his lawyers have decided to milk him for all they can. stupid man!!
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by otokx(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2009
The guy must have spent so much money
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Remii(m): 1:18pm On Jun 30, 2009
too much money can make someone insane and sometimes forget that not everything is on sale.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by dfanthom(m): 1:26pm On Jun 30, 2009
@ Otokx,
money he has stolen, angry

the geezer is resilient but in the wrong direction shocked. if only he can channel this energy into developing humanity & not for selfish purposes. someone should please tell him to stop this bastardisation & rape of the judicial process. it's crazy & counter-productive. if he claims he really wants to serve the people, is it by force? Ok, the people have said they do not want, can't he go & rest??

Finally, I think it's a cloak & dagger strategy to distract as many people from the realities on ground. i hope he gets thoroughly sanctioned & fined heavily this time around.    
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by confetti(f): 2:01pm On Jun 30, 2009
@ sheriffman,

I wonder ooo?

Me thinks this Uba or whatever he calls himself is insane.

Of all the money he and his little brother theives have stolen in the name of politics and god fatherism in Anambra politics,
he is not yet satisfied.
Do I blame him? If Odili and his co-horts are still interested in Rivers politics even after the trillions if not fourllions they stole, what makes him an exception.

Just that I used to think that Igbos are a wise set of pple as the Holy book posits that wise men do come from the East.
But with this! Am having a rethink.

Me thinks no court has the right to adjuducate on a matter already concluded by the apex court?
Nothing we no go see for Niger, From magistrate courts to high courts to appeal courts to supreme courts back to appeal again?
I tell u, anything can and do happen here.
Jungle nation with jungle structures.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by obiem(m): 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2009
Emmanuel Nnamdi 'Andy' Uba

Isn't it clear that u're fightin' a lost battle?

Good a thing ur in-law and partner, Obj is no longer in the rock

Leave Obi to concentrate on governance, which anambrarians are in dire need of.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by drlokobi7: 2:39pm On Jun 30, 2009
andy uba is a fool and bastard,do u think this is obasanjo govt?u beta knw this is rule of law ok,pls go and rest in ota with obj farming ok fooooooooooooooooooooool.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Nezan(m): 3:41pm On Jun 30, 2009
The case has already been determined by the supreme court.
This is an abuse of court process.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by breathless(m): 4:06pm On Jun 30, 2009
dat desperado shld be silenced once n 4 all by another ruling by d supreme court. if not, he'll be heading 4 d world court @ d hague
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by tofguy(m): 5:15pm On Jun 30, 2009
I think its just a creek under the strain for ubah. Nigerians should now be getting rid of power bigots like dis ubah type. Here comes the crazy thing; they are littered all over Nigeria now.Growing to be terrorists. world disturbers, But i know that they'll also be encumbered by the tough ones yet to come.

sad the beautiful ones are not indeed born.

and for UBAH, let him go and rest in peace, pissing on his trousers, and watch pete obi lead Anambra grin
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Jun 30, 2009
He just wanna take over as soon as the tenure of the current governor is over, i love his style, useless dogs
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by calyx: 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2009
dont you guys get it? The guy's afraid of facing the electorate in a proper election. Now it has dawned on the man hes a total electoral failureeven with his Iwu
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by kiyosaki1(m): 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2009
fello nairalander please adopt the sidon lookBola Ige) altitude to Nija's(sorry Ruben Abati),because i do not personally see the different betweenm the incubent and the Uba man.Let the looting continues head or toe the masses are the looser so why waste precious space accomodating it.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by sley4life(m): 10:14pm On Jun 30, 2009
Andy should b jailed for Advance fee fraud
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by biggjoe(m): 12:38am On Jul 01, 2009
Maybe this guy has come up with a better way of doing it this time,

Money can do anything in Naija.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by sley4life(m): 9:00am On Jul 01, 2009
uba might have gone to bribe the judge
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Nezan(m): 10:47am On Jul 01, 2009
biggjoe:

Maybe this guy has come up with a better way of doing it this time,

Money can do anything in Naija.
grin
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by itumama: 11:18am On Jul 01, 2009
I think he doessn't av anytin to do with his money abi,dat he gives chances to his lawyers to exploit him.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Nezan(m): 10:04am On Jul 02, 2009
The guy dey desperate because OBJ no dey Aso Villa again.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by OKEYCHIVIV(m): 10:41am On Jul 02, 2009
Andy and people like him keep Anambra where it is-always causing trouble.
God will not allow them-Anambra deserves better.God help us.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by dnex(m): 11:13am On Jul 02, 2009
Let's be honest here, though Andy Uba is a bad guy, but when they were letting Peter Obi rule for the period he was rightfully voted during a period that Andy Uba had just been voted , I asked this question about whether Andy Uba who won the 2007 will then rule without considering who wins the next elections. The justice that was used to continue Peter Obi's rule should also prevail for Andy Uba.

In fact, I believe just as it happened in Peter Obi's case, immediately Obi's tenure is over, Andy Uba should be sworn in then elections will be held in 2011 instead of 2010 and the winner of that election should wait till 2014 to enter office.

The thing about us Nigerians is that we hail a seemingly good decision without thinking of via long term effects.

Let that criminal Andy Uba have justice too. Unless of course we're saying Andy Uba didn't win the 2007 elections, in which case we should provide the actual winner so that whoever it is will take over.

All I'm saying though is that Andy Uba should be given the same justice that Peter Obi got. Somebody won the 2007 Anambra State elections and that person must have the full 4 year tenure too.
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
@OKEYCHIVIV , you mean Peter Obi is not the reason why Anambra is still the way it is after all this time he has been governor?
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by dnex(m): 8:38pm On Jul 02, 2009
I really don't know whether it is because of Andy Uba and OBJ that Peter Obi took more than N250 million from Anambra state coffers to build a palace in Lekki, Lagos.

Andy Uba made him do it!
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by papaejima: 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
as an igbo man,am seriously ashamed of the type of news that comes out from the east.instead of wise men coming from the east,all we see now are greedy and foolish men coming from there.its heartbreaking.i want to advice Uba to use all that money that he is paying his lawyers and all those pple to build an industry in any town in the east that will benefit the youths and let him watch if his name will not be immortalized.cant the court jail him for bothering it,abuse,rape and bastardizing the judicial system.this asshole is a desperado and we should tell him to go F, CK HIMSELF.that he is not wanted at the state house in Awka.or is he on some ego trip? trying desprately to show his buddies that he can recapture his dimmed sunshine (which was fake in anycase.)
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Nezan(m): 11:05am On Jul 03, 2009
papaejima:

as an igbo man,am seriously ashamed of the type of news that comes out from the east.instead of wise men coming from the east,all we see now are greedy and foolish men coming from there.its heartbreaking.i want to advice Uba to use all that money that he is paying his lawyers and all those pple to build an industry in any town in the east that will benefit the youths and let him watch if his name will not be immortalized.cant the court jail him for bothering it,abuse,rape and bastardizing the judicial system.this asshole is a desperado and we should tell him to go F, CK HIMSELF.that he is not wanted at the state house in Awka.or is he on some ego trip? trying desprately to show his buddies that he can recapture his dimmed sunshine (which was fake in anycase.)
I wonder too-o
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by ugodie(f): 6:07pm On Jul 03, 2009
I really don't know whether it is because of Andy Uba and OBJ that Peter Obi took more than N250 million from Anambra state coffers to build a palace in Lekki, Lagos.

Andy Uba made him do it!

Enemy of progress, which police or court confirmed theft of 250m?
Peter Obi was worth over N47billion before becomiing Gov.
He is not a thiefing politician like the rest
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by Money4: 5:54pm On Jul 04, 2009
This man again!!!

I think what he wants is power to fight his younger brother "Chris" because i dont see why he'll be so desperate to become the Governor of Anambra State. Anyway he is fighting in Vane!
Re: Anambra Governorship Tussle: Andy Uba Heads To The Court Yet Again! by nex(m): 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2009
You people are not serious O! When the man has already put his personal worth at a trillion Naira (8 billion dollars)? Shame no go gree am rest.

He must seat on that throne for 8 years: 1 billion dollars a year.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Appeal Court Voids Omisore's Election. / Scuffle Between Nigerian And Turkish Presidents’ Guards / Oshiomhole Apologises To Edo Journalists !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.