Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,773 members, 7,802,377 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Kick Start Your Writing Career With These Tips That Work For Would-be Writers - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Kick Start Your Writing Career With These Tips That Work For Would-be Writers (1439 Views)

10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing / What Do You Want To Accomplish With Your Writing? / 7 Amazing Tips To Improve Your Writing Skills Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kick Start Your Writing Career With These Tips That Work For Would-be Writers by david290(m): 12:57pm On Feb 01, 2016
think the issue here is quite different from the discuss writer’s block when a writer get stuck. It is of a desiring writer who just couldn’t have a start beyond the desiring or dream level. More precisely He’s got a BIG issue starting out. Bigger issue is that not much discuss has addressed this. But you got me addressing it today. My first post on this blog was actually how I started off my writing career and how I have been able to sustain it till date. You see, I am no pro at either of writing or blogging ; I just felt I have gathered some knowledge and some experiences that can be helpful if shared, and this is exactly why I am here for you today. I do think sharing my own story without giving you hope to share yours is just sheer selfishness. Or maybe I was just throwing myself around for attention. But neither of these do I wish to be known or associated with, instead I want to be associated with you. I want to be associated with your beginning. And most importantly, I want to be part of your story of building a successful career. Without further ado, would-be writers have got some issues starting out that have been adequately recognized -- no need having to spell them out again. But will any fresh writer find any of the below helpful? #1. Self-assess: But before you start writing, just a question: who are you? It is no crime to desire to be a writer but are you truly sincere about it? For me prior to my becoming a writer I have always seen myself as one. It was truly who I wanted to be. I got inclined to writing because it was my thing and not just because someone closed by or far away was into it or profiting off it. I only searched around for mentorship and self-development in the act of writing just after I had made that decision to be a writer. Everybody cannot be a writer is what I am implying. And then you got passion? You’re passionate about writing? How much passion you got? To tell you there are several times that I quitted writing (or those times of several sabbaticals) but it as it may, I am always returning to the root. To let you know, some of this so called sabbatical lasted well over six months. So if it wasn’t enough passion, what is? If it isn’t, how possible you’re reading from me now? #2. No comparison: Just get at writing and be good at what you do. No competition -- for you’ll get your butt outside writing faster than you got yourself into it should whoever become your standard. To be truthful, they’ll always appear to be getting it right more than you. And soon you’ll be out of writing with as many reasons as you got already. Those reasons could only be therapeutic you know. But where will be your golden dream of becoming a successful writer? #3. Start writing now: It’s no denying that a writer should have some essentials. Like for instance, for most submissions of essays, Client’s work (as in freelancing) usually requires that the piece be submitted in a .doc format. You don’t have a laptop upon which can be found the Microsoft. Worst yet no internet connection. And seeing you don’t have any of these isn’t it only natural that I compromise? But still, write anyway. God’s willing I should be having a post on how to run a start-up writing career on a low budget so be sure you’re always checking back. #4. Start with the ones you love: You know, just writing lyrics might be cool with you – continue writing it. I have come to discover that poem and lyrics could be best of friends. And I want to let you know that from some punch of lyrical writings you might soon find yourself writing the finest of poems. Now look at it that you are one who hardly argues starting out a career with an essay or some sort… with my little understanding of this form of writing, you got to argue your point as strongly but coherently as you can. Or for a freelance writer starting a career with e-books writing just because it attracts more pay. You might have done some researches on Bings, Google , but it wouldn’t be a start that I’ll recommend. #5. Worry little about 100%: Any writer in spite the heavy proofreading may still be guilty of typos but no one is ever charged or if someone is charged; little charges though (just some typos beginners make that they can avoid the next time). But some other writers will not be spared for the most insignificant error contained in their write-ups: tenses, spellings, punctuations, wrong choice or incorrect use of words etc. But a wise writer will get over these errors with consistent writing and learning. I’ll say 100% is a must for writers but only necessary for beginners and you are one so get writing already. #6. Begin with familiar words and simple sentences: I have never being a sucker for high and convoluted grammar. I have upheld the belief that you can always communicate rather than just speaking or rapping. I’ve come to understand that the message is clearly understood when it is kept short and simple. Big grammar doesn’t equate you’re less communicating or that he/she is better communicating (remember point 2). #7. Help me, help yourself: I’ve come to understand that it’s in you just like the advert of peak milk. But here I’ll like to say it’s up to you. You can always help me to get yourself motivated and stay motivated. You can always help yourself to starting out and starting now. You can always help yourself to starting the actualization of your ultimate dream. You can as well help me tell yourself some truths (as in my number 1 point above).
Re: Kick Start Your Writing Career With These Tips That Work For Would-be Writers by OneOpinion: 8:35am On Jul 27, 2016
@op thank you.

1 Like

Re: Kick Start Your Writing Career With These Tips That Work For Would-be Writers by mozele(m): 2:23pm On Apr 01, 2017
Op nice post.

Come to think of it, for years i've been longing to become a very good writer in the business and marketing aspect. That kind of writer that can make use of plain words to persuade multitudes of people into buying into an idea or a product belonging to me or a clients'

for so long i've tried and the more i tried, the more i get depressed. The more i get depressed, the more i get frustrated on the idea of persuasive writing. Some times i even feel writing persuasively is an inborn talent which the highly successful writers possess.

Most times i do get carried away by my inadequacies and consider myself a failure. Not just a failure in writing but a failure in life. I mean taking a look back at my secondary school days, instead of focusing on my studies, i rather play away my time on football and video games. Essay/letter writing that i should have learnt and practice back then has now become so alien to me to the extent that even in higher institution, i fumble at the use of grammer.

Life on my side hasn't be funny at all as challenges upon challenges had been taking turns in my life. Is is the part of failing to gain admission multiple times into the Nigerian Defence Academy, or how my family had become insolvent that i have to live under a foster parent whose wife's actions and venomous words had beaten my ego so thin to the extent that i confirmed to myself that i am not worthy to live.

Fastforward to today, i've finally concluded a diploma program in Business Administration and Management Studies from a polytechnic in the north. At times i find it so facinating how i managed to successfully scale through with an upper despite my inferiority complex et al.

I could vividly remember how i always find myself so busy during and even after school hours. Busy doing what you may ask.

I get so busy deep in my thoughts, playing nasty scenarios in my mind that the only antidote to this problem is to give myself break. And to give my self a break, i mean going to live with a relative far away or to live on campus. By doing this, my brain is no longer on a hyper-active mode.

Now that you've read up to this very place, i'd like you to take a look at all that i have wrote. I will like to know if you found it easy to understand at a go or it was clumpsy with grammertical errors and jargons.

I sincerely want to master the art of writing, an i know i will someday in the nearest future.

Please kindly help a brother. Appraise this text, i will like to know my shortcomings.

Nagodé.

(1) (Reply)

A Tribute To Those Who Struggle! / Brother Tobe's Diary / Politics Or Poligreed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.