Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,708 members, 7,805,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY (35639 Views)

Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK / Chinelo Okafor Receives N100,000 From AfricLearn For Making First Class In UNN / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by bobkezel(m): 11:52am On Mar 23, 2016
Useless proof. University 1st class seems harder because uni students are olodos. They don't know a thing.

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by 3rdlegxxx(m): 11:54am On Mar 23, 2016
jbreezy:
Mumu topic...sum polytechnics g.p iz 5 (e.g polyibadan)...nt all polytchnics operate an overall g.p of 4...and even nt all unis operate an overall g.p of 5, unibadan operates an overall g.p of 7...so delete yur post b4 Sango test his new thunder on yu

kai, Nigerians are vexing, guy easy na.... sango test new thunder all for one person grin grin grin grin I sure say the guy be no mean am at all... cheesy
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by lastmessenger: 11:59am On Mar 23, 2016
Highly qualified profs? Abeg I have been to both uni and poly and I can't say that university lecturers are better. They are just a bunch of men with plenty paper qualifications.. In fact the conclusion is that Nigerian schools is just poo,
Jexyme:
Clap clap clap!!!

You are correct. As aa matter of fact you are a genius.

You deserve an award.

This is so true. The other factors to also consider include number of highly qualified lecturers (PhD and Professors) & facilities in the Unis.

Global perspective my differ from what obtains here. Nigeria needs to retrace and bring back the lost glory of our academic institutions.

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Cashio(m): 12:00pm On Mar 23, 2016
Basalt:

what is wrong with the maths?
Obviously you are not enlightened in the area of Mathematics to have faulted this simple calculation which an SS3 student can even get.
guy no insults but u are too insulting.. u can make ur assertions without sounding rude to others
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by ladyaluu: 12:01pm On Mar 23, 2016
3rdlegxxx:

kai, Nigerians are vexing, guy easy na.... sango test new thunder all for one person grin grin grin grin I sure say the guy be no mean am at all... cheesy
Its okey! But do you know that it is harder to make grade "A" in the Polytechnic than the University? Yes, 70marks in the University is Grade "A" while it takes 75marks to get "A" in the Polytechnic with a hard earned practical stresses to show for it. I do not know of other Polytechnics, but in Federal Polytechnic Oko, Anambra State where i read Computer Science, my brother, you have to study in theory and practical to even make 60marks. Before they changed the Pen on Paper exams to Computer Based, you stay in one long bench alone to write exams because in a hall 1500 capacity, you are only 69 people in the class. My brother, how do you get "75" if you do not study hard. At present, everything in the school is Computer based. Your statement is mathematically correct but statistically wrong because it has not been tested and proven beyond reasonable doubts and considering a logical perspective of Grade gathering. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nobody: 12:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
Oya Now. let the bashing begin grin grin
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by ladyaluu: 12:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
You talk well my man. Because it is harder to make grade "A-75" in the Polytechnic than the University ("A-70"wink! Yes, 70marks in the University is Grade "A" while it takes 75marks to get "A" in the Polytechnic with a hard earned practical stresses to show for it. I do not know of other Polytechnics, but in Federal Polytechnic Oko, Anambra State where i read Computer Science, my brother, you have to study in theory and practical to even make 60marks. Before they changed the Pen on Paper exams to Computer Based, you stay in one long bench alone to write exams because in a hall 1500 capacity, you are only 69 people in the class. My brother, how do you get "75" if you do not study hard. At present, everything in the school is Computer based. Your statement is mathematically correct but statistically wrong because it has not been tested and proven beyond reasonable doubts and considering a logical perspective of Grade gathering. Thanks.
bobkezel:
Useless proof. University 1st class seems harder because uni students are olodos. They don't know a thing.

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by OlujobaSamuel: 12:03pm On Mar 23, 2016
op don drink him ogogoro again.
na poly no be poli.
also it's not just about the scale you use, it's about the score that will give you the maximum gp in each course unit.
In Ilaro where I graduated from, for you to have AA, you have to score 80/85 as total score, can't remember the exact, while some schools make it 70 and some 75.
I know of a university in Ghana that her lower credit or 2nd class lower is 2.0 on a scale of 5.
In Ilaro, there are about 3classes of C.O, though I don't know the effect since I had none, we have Fail, Fairly Fail, Total Fail, all na still reference if you see any on your result, but I don't know how it works in calculating cgpa.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Jexyme(f): 12:04pm On Mar 23, 2016
lastmessenger:
Highly qualified profs? Abeg I have been to both uni and poly and I can't say that university lecturers are better. They are just a bunch of men with plenty paper qualifications.. In fact the conclusion is that Nigerian schools is just poo,

Lols!

This has been addressed in the last paragraph of my post.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by uruego(f): 12:05pm On Mar 23, 2016
my submission, be the best of what you are! by the grace of God I have HND,bsc,MBA aca,.When you get to an org. with your first class and not resourceful, innovative, u will be relegated. I
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by lantessy(m): 12:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
Op. cheesy. I think it would be injustice to compare the two. However, in most foreign universities e.g US that use 4.0 grading system, first class starts from 3.67
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification
It may therefore be concluded that distinction grade in percentage is not equivalent to first class grade in percentage.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
grin grin grin this shows that university is overrated. People shld av explained the maths na.

Whether it is 5.0 or 3.0, the mark associated with it is the koko.

For example, if 89-100 is 3.0 in an institution while the same is for 5.0 in others, does it mean that anyone with a distinction of 3.0 in the first institution makes a lower credit by the standard of the other?

Lol... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Habbatmakolly: 12:07pm On Mar 23, 2016
jbreezy:
Mumu topic...sum polytechnics g.p iz 5 (e.g polyibadan)...nt all polytchnics operate an overall g.p of 4...and even nt all unis operate an overall g.p of 5, unibadan operates an overall g.p of 7...so delete yur post b4 Sango test his new thunder on yu

You mentioned Poly Ibadan and Uni. Ibadan on 5 and 7 CGPA respectively without telling us what makes someone a Firstclass in these 2 institutions.

Please educate us.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by timmydrogba(m): 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
jbreezy:

grin
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by ccalagboso: 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
apostlekeke:
Ur theory is false. To make an "A" in poly, u need need obtain 80 marks while same is 70 marks for Univ wen u factor the difference in standard into ur assumption, u wil see that it's numerically the same.
[quote author=femi4 post=44031635][/quoa
All things been equal, by the evaluation in poly, scoring an A is more difficult with 80% mark while in uni a score of 70% is an A. Hence, someone in poly who made as an e.g. 73% in all his courses will make a total CGPA of 3.5 . if 73% is scored by another person in uni, the total CGPA will be a whole 5.0. Therefore any little slack in the mark of the poly student will take him out of the distinction zone. However, a slack of the same magnitude won't affect the first class of the uni student.

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by sonssyo: 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
everyone please have your seat and think about ur future, 1st class or distinction ,4 me i dnt really care. the only bench mark is to succeed in life. grin
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by 3rdlegxxx(m): 12:08pm On Mar 23, 2016
shocked shocked shocked shocked people are really vexing in this county, see wetin op don cause na, kai, I sure say the guy go don go hide him head for shame, but seriously when he was analyzing I was just just laughing, that guy must be a fresher in a uni, topic is a joke
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by mamajaz(f): 12:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
emeijeh:
Ordinary Polytechnic....you cannot spell

#smh
Leave my guy oh. He's trying to be polite with the spelling of "politechnic"
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by akpamfet: 12:12pm On Mar 23, 2016
[quote author=Ezegozie post=42519597]It is harder to make firstclass in University than to make Distinction in Politechnics.
Here is my Mathematical Prove.

For University to make first class, you must get atleast 4.5 GPA out of possible 5.
That is 4.5/5

To make distinction in Politechnic, you must get atleast 3.5 GPA out of possible 4.
That is 3.5/4.

HENCE
4-------------3.5 (For Politechnics)

5/4 * 3.5 = 4.375 (Equivalent For University)

CONCLUSION
3.5/4 GPA (politechnic)
is equivalent
To 4.375/5 GPA (University)

But if you get 4.375 in University which is equivalent of 3.5 in politechnic, You will not make first class because what is needed from you is atleast 4.5GPA.

So with this mathematical prove above, I hereby conclude that its harder to make first class in university than to make distinction in Politechnics.

Hope you understand my Prove?
[/quote

I get u my broda...4.5 out of 5 is 90% (for uni)
3.5 out of 4 is 87.5% (for poly)
So, they are the min. Scores u must attain for a first class or distinction... But hw that one go take benefit my pocket? undecided
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by maestroferddi: 12:12pm On Mar 23, 2016
Basalt:

what is wrong with the maths?
Obviously you are not enlightened in the area of Mathematics to have faulted this simple calculation which an SS3 student can even get.
You were not particularly smart in your math method.

The shortest/most concise way to demonstrate your point should have been to express the threshold GPAs as percentages of maximum/overall/total GPAs in each case.

In that case you would have stated that a university student needs 4.5/5 or 90% CPA to make a first class while a polytechnic student only needs 3.5/4 or 87.5% CPA to make a distinction.

If you had deployed this smart way of making your point, you would have proved your case beyond all reasonable doubt.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by OlujobaSamuel: 12:12pm On Mar 23, 2016
orisunmibare01:
In poly, your distinction is made in four semesters....
In university' you have about 8 semesters....
Doesn't that make poly's distinction harder based on that same formular?! undecided
this is a better argument than the thrash op called prov(proof)
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by awa(m): 12:15pm On Mar 23, 2016
OP,

Please receive sense and focus on what should bring food to your dinning table.
First Class or Distinction is not evidence of affluence in Nigerian society.
The society will make mockery of you when you have first Class or Distinction and still can't pay your bills.

Please share topic on how to make genuine money.
Some Chinese working for the company I work for are earning hundreds of thousand Naira even with ordinary secondary school certificate and you are here talking rubbish..
Hope you are not an APC e-Rat?
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:
Its because of people like this OP that Polytechnic Graduates think they are equal to University Graduates.. angry angry angry angry

E no go better for the person wey build UNIBEN.. angry angry
Y? Watin uniben do u
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nobody: 12:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
kayusbrown:
Turning logic on its head. OP obviously doesn't understand the concept of Grade Point. A Distinction graduate from a Polytechnic will still emerge a First Class Graduate so to say if a 5-point scale is used for evaluating his/her results.

UI for example uses a 7-point scale, so going by OP's warped logic we'll conclude that it is more difficult to make First Class in UI than other unis. That's nonsense.

If Grade "A" is equivalent to 5points in UNILAG, it will be equivalent to 7points in UI based on their respective scales. Where there will be discrepancies is the actual score that's equivalent to Grade "A". Some Institutions use 70 while others use 80.

On the 5 point scale, First class is 4.5 out of 5

From simple ratio, for the polytchnic 4 point scale to be on the same level as the university 5 point scale, first class has to be 3.6 out of 4 and not 3.5

Likewise on the 7 point scale first class has to be 6.3 out of 7.
Anything less than this means the bar is below the university scale.

This is simply what OP is explaining. And ofcourse this is assuming all the points scale have same score i.e 70 as their grade A equivalent.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Horlardorjah(m): 12:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
Plz help confirm to be sure say op neva hit head for ground OH.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by esonuu(m): 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2016
Mehn,sum nairalanders behaves lyk peeps wey no go sch..if someone says what is wrong,instead of correcting dat fellow,they start calling names,cursing dat person and blabbing lyk kindergaten pupil as if they'r perfect in all ramification...na frustration abi wetin?
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Meritocracy: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2016
GO TO YABATECH AND FIND OUT THAT YOU NEED TO SCORE 75% AND ABOVE TO GET A1, 70-74 IS A2, WHY OTHERS ARE USING 70% AS 5.0 OR 4.0 POINT. MEANWHILE GRADE POINT OF 5.0 OR 4.0 IS NOTHING COMPARE TO WHAT YOU NEED TO SCORE BEFORE YOU GET THE MAXIMUM POINT
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by djraymy(m): 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2016
Basalt:

He meant the politechnic with maximum GP of 4 nothing more nothing less.
Apart from Unibadan and maybe Polybadan, no other school has that abnormal range of GP in Nigeria.
so na you sango go strike first no be the OP.
because I see the point he is making
wetin this wan dey talk?? Daft brain
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by omoadeleye(m): 12:29pm On Mar 23, 2016
Rubbish lipsrsealed
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by djraymy(m): 12:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
Basalt:

He meant the politechnic with maximum GP of 4 nothing more nothing less.
Apart from Unibadan and maybe Polybadan, no other school has that abnormal range of GP in Nigeria.
so na you sango go strike first no be the OP.
because I see the point he is making
daft people plenty here o
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Meritocracy: 12:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
IF YOU GO TO POLYTECHNIC YOU WILL SEE THAT YOU HAVE ONLY TWO SESSION TO DECIDE NO ROOM FOR LONG TERM OF 4 OR 5YEARS ADJUSTMENT AS THE CASE OF UNIVERSITY

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Blind Graduate Wants To Sell His Kidney To Further His Education (photo) / Joaness Frimpong Graduates With First Class In Petroleum Engineering In Ghana / I Regret Going To The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.