Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY (35651 Views)

Ibu Faith Graduates With Distinction In MSc From University Of Bedfordshire, UK / Chinelo Okafor Receives N100,000 From AfricLearn For Making First Class In UNN / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by evesdon4u: 4:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ezegozie:
It is harder to make firstclass in University than to make Distinction in Politechnics.
Here is my Mathematical Prove.

For University to make first class, you must get atleast 4.5 GPA out of possible 5.
That is 4.5/5

To make distinction in Politechnic, you must get atleast 3.5 GPA out of possible 4.
That is 3.5/4.

HENCE
4-------------3.5 (For Politechnics)

5/4 * 3.5 = 4.375 (Equivalent For University)

CONCLUSION
3.5/4 GPA (politechnic)
is equivalent
To 4.375/5 GPA (University)

But if you get 4.375 in University which is equivalent of 3.5 in politechnic, You will not make first class because what is needed from you is atleast 4.5GPA.

So with this mathematical prove above, I hereby conclude that its harder to make first class in university than to make distinction in Politechnics.

Hope you understand my Prove?

"Prove" abi "Proof"... And you call yourself a University Student!
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Politicowizard(m): 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
4.5/5=0.9
3.5/4=0.875

Therefore, 0.9>0.875...proved!

Again, the interval between the grades are wide in university grading unlike Polytechnic grading system where successive grades are close. For instance, in the university, an A=5.0 qualifies you for first-class; B=4.0 knocks you off from first-class. However, in the Polytechnic, an A=4.0 gets u distinct; B=3.5 still keeps u in distinct.

Finally, I tested both waters. In my OND, (federal poly unwana), I didn't put in much effort, I had 3.66. Through direct entry( FUTO), I thought it was business as usual, my first GPA was 3.82, not withstanding my doubled effort. In the end, and by the grace of God, I had 4.56 as my CGPA.

I wount talk on the variation in course content, some insatiable professors and other factors that doesn't favor good academic grade in the university.

I am not in any way trying to undermine, demure or devalue distinction but when we compare issues like this, one need to see things from the prism of sound reasoning and objectivity, devoid of any prejudice and bias.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Ezegozie(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
I apologise for the mistakes made in this post.
I didn't actually create this topic to ridicule or insult any person, I just created it for fun, but the way you guys are making mountain out of the valley is quiet lugubrious.
Once again, I apologise for any wrong spelling and any wrong choice of word I used intentionally or unintentionally.
I dont even have prerogative to edit the mistakes now because the topic has made front page.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nyceguy92: 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2016
[quote author=Ezegozie post=42519597]

Does not necessarily follow.
There is a topic in Statistics that compares whether there is any difference in test scores from different schools or exam.

A grading system based on 5 points does mean it is superior to that based on 4 points.
In some schools, a "B" result could easily be a breezy "A" in another school.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Seunolad1(m): 5:49pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ayoolaboboo:
I finished with upper credit last year in Mechanical Engineering from Osun State College of Technology, Esa oke, During first second semesters of ND1, they used 80 to calculate our Grade compared to 75 or 70 some uni are using..
welcome bro that my man from the same school.

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by DonTim1: 6:40pm On Mar 23, 2016
Having experienced both, your assertion do not hold.

it simple enough, what score gives you grade 'A' in Uni and in Poly ?

>= 70 / >= 75
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by felsunseg(m): 6:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ezegozie:
It is harder to make firstclass in University than to make Distinction in Politechnics.

For University to make first class, you must get atleast 4.5 GPA out of possible 5.
That is 4.5/5

To make distinction in Politechnic, you must get atleast 3.5 GPA out of possible 4.
That is 3.5/4.

HENCE

CONCLUSION
3.5/4 GPA (politechnic)
is equivalent

But if you get 4.375 in University which is equivalent of 3.5 in politechnic, You will not make first class because what is needed from you is atleast 4.5GPA.

So with this mathematical prove above, I hereby conclude that its harder to make first class in university than to make distinction in Politechnics.

in my own school (poly), to have an A u most score 80 above, but in a federal university I know of it is 70 above for an A, so u see there is no need to start comparing GPA. and our unite score is 10, if u score 59 it the same as scoring 50 and in some uni or most uni its 5.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by rhames(m): 6:58pm On Mar 23, 2016
jbreezy:
Mumu topic...sum polytechnics g.p iz 5 (e.g polyibadan)...nt all polytchnics operate an overall g.p of 4...and even nt all unis operate an overall g.p of 5, unibadan operates an overall g.p of 7...so delete yur post b4 Sango test his new thunder on yu

Man you bad oh! Why you wan delete the man from the face of the earth? grin
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by zicoy6k: 8:00pm On Mar 23, 2016
Rubbish post and stupid mathematics. A score that translates to A is not same in Universities and Polytechnic. The weights for the grades also differ. A comparison of both grading scheme is a bit complex. I am sure you are a kid and don't know how the grading system works. Do further study and stop propagating rubbish.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by zicoy6k: 8:02pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ezegozie:

That is 4.5/5

That is 3.5/4.

HENCE

CONCLUSION
3.5/4 GPA (politechnic)
is equivalent

Rubbish! Check my post above and try to enlighten yourself.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 23, 2016
[size=13pt]
Yet, with all the first class graduates we have been and still producing our country is still in a mess!
"If we spend less time pointing fingers about who's better or worse, and spend more time and energy on "INNOVATION" and "CREATIVITY"! then Nigeria will only get better!"

First class or Second class is just written on paper, to many graduates, and sadly that's their price tag!!! But honestly speaking, you could add more value to your virtual price tag when we start using our acquired knowledge to innovate and create models that's can improve humanity!!!

[/size]
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Ezegozie(m): 8:35pm On Mar 23, 2016
zicoy6k:

Rubbish! Check my post above and try to enlighten yourself.

must you sound insultive?
You people should stop all these childish attitude.
If you think somebody's hypothesis is wrong, there are better ways to correct somebody than this approach.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by rhektor(m): 8:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
Just imagine how you come to the Internet to disgrace yourself. One thing u forget to mention is that before u can actually make 4.0 in Polytechnics u have to score 80/100 unlike having 70/100 in university and u get 5.0. Secondly u couldn't even spell Polytechnic, my question is how did this trash get to fp?
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Walelavender(m): 9:11pm On Mar 23, 2016
This comparison is needless and annoying. Why create an unnecessary animosity towards Polytechnic graduates?
Always trying to prove they are 'inferior' in quality to varsity graduates.
Can we just let this comparison go to sleep in our threads?
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by arki(m): 9:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
Engineermbugame:
1 of my sister say de school dey tough,i should not apply poly in dat school, d year i wrote jamb.
Guy that skl is something else. I did EE there, it was d grace of God that gave me upper credit there. I can neva forget that skl. If u think u sabi book attend Nekede, esp EE department. Only 5 students graduated with upper there in my set of ND. This is not abt hyping ones skl but telling u a reality. U go do practical sotee u go wan kwench. Bia that OP wey dey talk rubbish abt poly and uni, u hv to do ur research well,poly is in no doubt harder than a uni. In poly u are expected to hv done all u nid to do for a whole 5yrs in a uni in 2yrs in a poly cos it's expectd that one might decide to establish oneself afta completing ND. I had several UI students wen I was doing my IT with NEPA, most times wen we converse with our boss in issues relating to engineering, I used to find out dat they appear lost. This is becos in poly, ur 1st year studies is equal to wot u'll do in year 3,while 2nd year is equivalent to 4th year and 5th year in uni. This is not false cos I hv made a deep research on this. Y I'll say that Uni is a bit beta is becos d students are not rushed unlike poly wr u start doing core engineering for example frm 1st semester of 1st year. In conclusion, it doesn't matter wr u studied, poly or uni, but wot value hv u been able to add to ur life and society? is d question

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Basalt(m): 10:19pm On Mar 23, 2016
Any person that argues that HND and Bsc are equal is simply a dullard.

Na now I confirm that statement that says " truth is always bitter."

If HND is the same as Bsc as you all claim, then why does a HND holder required to do PGD first before Msc?
Why not go to Msc straight like his Bsc mate?
Most Africans will always see white and label it black.

** How can HND be equal to Bsc when polytechnics are dumping ground for those that cant score reasonable mark in their jamb, how can you compare the IQ of someone that cant score upto 200 in jamb and some body that score 280?
Even from this thread, you can see that poly graduates dont measure up to Uni graduates in any where.

** How can HND be equal to Bsc when Most Polytechnics cant even boast of a single prof, while many Universities have Atleast 5 Prof in a department.

Comparing Polytechnics and Universities is like comparing a Lion and a Sheep, those with sense don't do that.

No matter how many times you quote me, it can never change the fact that HND and Bsc no be mate, you can hug transformer if you cant live with it.

Dont even quote me to talk nonsense

1 Like

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by WATERLee1: 10:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
To get A in polytechnics with 4gp, one must score 75 while Universities with 5gp is 70(A)
In my school, 75=A, 70-74=AB. Try to research well bf u jump to social media
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Yinkatolu: 10:23pm On Mar 23, 2016
MadCow1:
Its because of people like this OP that Polytechnic Graduates think they are equal to University Graduates.. angry angry angry angry

E no go better for the person wey build UNIBEN.. angry angry

kilode.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Basalt(m): 10:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ephemmm:

At least, tongue tongue tongue tongue

I don't argue with a fool whose brain is as fake as GEJ till 2019.

Get it right.

Atleast GEJ was the president of Nigeria for 6yrs, a position you can never attain to.

# GEJ my hero
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by 5ky3(m): 10:43pm On Mar 23, 2016
Came on here with the aim of improving my English. but now I can see that even the OP is a wanted murderer of our almighty English ...

UNI and POLY students b like

MANUAL and AUTO

#Etz_Earl_Bash

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Basalt(m): 11:06pm On Mar 23, 2016
5ky3:
Came on here with the aim of improving my English. but now I can see that even the OP is a wanted murderer of our almighty English ...

UNI and POLY students b like

MANUAL and AUTO

#Etz_Earl_Bash

came on here?
Wetin dat one mean?
Na spain be dat Abi your local language.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by heroshark(m): 11:12pm On Mar 23, 2016
I totally disagree with the OP.... in the polytechnic A = 80 =4.0, AB=70=3.5 so to make an A you need to score at least 80% of the course while in the university A=70=5.0 .... that's while it is very easy to hit a CGPA of 5.0 in the Uni while it's very hard in d poly
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by heroshark(m): 11:16pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ezegozie:

That is 4.5/5

That is 3.5/4.

HENCE

CONCLUSION
3.5/4 GPA (politechnic)
is equivalent

I totally disagree with the OP.... in the polytechnic A = 80 =4.0, AB=70=3.5 so to make an A you need to score at least 80% of the course while in the university A=70=5.0 .... you can make an A by just scoring 70% of the course that's while it is very easy to hit a CGPA of 5.0 in the Uni while it's very hard in d poly
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 24, 2016
Does it really matter which one's harder...the important thing is to get it.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by smartoliver(m): 8:39am On Mar 24, 2016
MadCow1:

First you talk about my personality (like its a bad thing) and then proceed to ask me a question expecting an Answer.

Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by maestroz: 10:54am On Mar 24, 2016
Basalt:

why are you always sounding childish?
Are you that daft?
We are doing mathematics here and you are there forming Queen Elizabeth.
Gerraraheremehn

I doubt if you should present yourself as a graduate of a university with your blunders. anything wrong with spellchecking before posting?...now I see why nigeria graduates are less sought after. you had better registered to a KG class so you can understand english better.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by Basalt(m): 12:20pm On Mar 24, 2016
maestroz:

I doubt if you should present yourself as a graduate of a university with your blunders. anything wrong with spellchecking before posting?...now I see why nigeria graduates are less sought after. you had better registered to a KG class so you can understand english better.

@ the bolded
* nigeria graduates
* you
*anything

There is nothing like nigeria graduates, you should say Nigerian graduates.
Even if you are a polytechnic student, I expect you to atleast know where to use NOUN and where to use ADJECTIVE, or don't you people do GS101 in your OND?
And secondly, at this age, you dont know that after full stop, the next alphabet should start with capital letter?
Olodo like you.
Later you will be comparing yourself with Bsc holder like me.
Who dash monkey banana?
Common HND dey talk where Bsc dey.
Wonders shall never end.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by maestroz: 4:26pm On Mar 24, 2016
Basalt:

@ the bolded
* nigeria graduates
* you
*anything

There is nothing like nigeria graduates, you should say Nigerian graduates.
Even if you are a polytechnic student, I expect you to atleast know where to use NOUN and where to use ADJECTIVE, or don't you people do GS101 in your OND?
And secondly, at this age, you dont know that after full stop, the next alphabet should start with capital letter?
Olodo like you.
Later you will be comparing yourself with Bsc holder like me.
Who dash monkey banana?
Common HND dey talk where Bsc dey.
Wonders shall never end.

poor you...how I wish you knew you are wasting away your potentials. we are never equals and would never be. I will set up a committee to probe your Bsc claims with a promise to serve your school warning for allowing you graduate.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by bonario1: 11:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
Well I think your assertion is not correct I am currently doing my HND prog in yabatech and I have some friends in my department and other departments who are either withdrawn because they couldnt meet up with their GP grades and some who finish their ND with pass ended up being best students in their respective class in Unilag and some other schools.
My friend who graduated from unaab was an ex president of his department he was an ND holder and also testify that polytechnic is difficult to get good grades than university.
There are other areas of study that makes university better than polytechnic but not grades and I think polytechnic students studying engineering,architect, Slt and other design courses are far better than the University students based on their pratical exposure
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by TeeYMartinz(m): 11:05am On Mar 28, 2016
doskie:
you are mad man addressing me like that. If you see me on ground you will shiver. basstad. if you be man drop your pin make we track. if I no Bury your papa spit for your grave call me anything you like. slowpoke.
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by TeeYMartinz(m): 11:19am On Mar 28, 2016
doskie:
you are mad man addressing me like that. If you see me on ground you will shiver. basstad. if you be man drop your pin make we track. if I no Bury your papa spit for your grave call me anything you like. slowpoke.
lol....U?,I bet u can't even stand my dog, you are just a boy roaming about without brain......no need exchanging words with u, u call ursef learned yet u behave like a tout.anyways,not every1 dat dat went to skul has brain,.....#many are mad but few are roaming #fool
Re: PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY by sammyscholar(m): 12:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
doskie:
how? I did nd in auchi poly and electrical in uniben. I am presently the technical manager in my company. I know the difference. a poly graduate is very limited to implenting the designs of a university graduate. they are not the same at all. dont let anyone deceive you.
[b]What do you mean by design of university graduate? What are you designing that a poly student cannot and have not designed? Are you taught with materials different to that used in polytechnics? What stops a poly student from designing if he so wishes; it is a rocket science? That you were a dullard when you were doing your National Diploma program does not mean you should be talking ill of polytechnics. Yes! You were a dullard; and you could still be.

Just like someone coming to tell me that a Business Student in a university is better than I do; how absurd! No one would even dare try such with me; unless he is ready for intellectual fiasco.

This is an information era. Only a student who limits what he reads and learns to what he is taught in class wouldn't catch up with his peers when he/she gets out there. There are lot of lecture manuals and videos from repute professors online that any serious student can peruse.

Forget the fours wall! It is no longer a yardstick to measure what a student can do. It's the amount of information you have access to.

I might have sound acerbic; but that is just the undiluted truth![/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2015/2016 NOV/DEC WAEC,NECO/NABTEB GCE Forms Are Out / Delta State Polytechnic Stadium, Ozoro In Pictures / Man Calls Out Teacher Who Always Flogs, Vows Never To Forgive Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.