Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,229 members, 7,780,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:16 PM

Igala People: Identify Urself's - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala People: Identify Urself's (20898 Views)

Proud Awori People Identify Yourselves Here / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions / Esan People Identify Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 6:57am On Jul 24, 2010
@samdigo

Can u speak Igala dialect?
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by udezue(m): 6:14am On Jul 25, 2010
How many market days do Igala have?
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by samdigo(m): 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2010
@ Libra38, no i do not speak, my father is igala tho, n he speaks da language, so i guess that makes me one too
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 11:37am On Jul 27, 2010
@Udezue

Igala have four market days.

There are:

i Eke
ii Ede
iii Afor
iv Ukwor

@Samdigo

Interesting!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by whiteroses(f): 10:20pm On Jul 27, 2010
amichi
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by OgidiBoy(m): 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2010
Growing up I remember on our way to the East, we would stop at this little town Aliade to buy oranges grin They have the sweetest and most

succulent oranges in Nigeria. Anyways I think they speak Igala in that Town, Igala ppl are the nicest people I've ever encountered in Nigeria.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by whiteroses(f): 11:50pm On Jul 27, 2010
^i know they are so nice oh my days i've got couple of them as friends luv 'em, altho they are easy to push over but why would anyone try
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by chyz(m): 5:00am On Aug 01, 2010
Libra38:

@Udezue

Igala have four market days.

There are:

i    Eke
ii   Ede
iii  Afor
iv Ukwor

@Samdigo

Interesting!!

Amazing very intersting and just like the Igbo calendar

There is:

1.EKE

2.ORIE

3.AFO

4.NKWO
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 7:51am On Aug 02, 2010
@chyz

It might interest you to know that Igala and Ibo people share's some common value and believes.

I will expantiate further at my leisure time.

Cheers!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by poweredcom(m): 5:59pm On Aug 08, 2010
me olu le ame uwe we demi fa. olane i am an igala boi from illushi which bother edo state and ibaji south kogi infact we are the largest igala community out side kogi state those in ugbedo anambra are just small and ebu north delta state also .IGALAS should embrace unity to their people in and out of kogi state. some nigerians are brain dead they cant research about other tribes in their country
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obiagu1(m): 12:33am On Aug 10, 2010
Libra38:

@chyz

It might interest you to know that Igala and Ibo people share's some common value and believes.

Cheers!!

Have you been kidnapped?
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by chyz(m): 4:23am On Aug 10, 2010
Libra38:

@chyz

Cheers!!

Long live the Igala and their culture!

Cheers!!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by poweredcom(m): 11:09am On Aug 10, 2010
@chyz

Cheers!!

Have you been kidnapped?

what do you mean its true, dont you know that the southern part of igala share the same value with ibos and dont you know that some Anambra people originated from IGALA, DO some researh ok, we are all one in culture but teh Language is yorubaoid, so Igala has an origin of both yoruba and Ibos,, Ok
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Obiagu1(m): 2:09am On Aug 31, 2010
Where's this Libra38 of a person sef?
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 8:01am On Aug 31, 2010
@Obiagu 1

Libra 38 is hail and healthy.

I 've been extreemly busy for days, that not wistanding, I haven't abandon this topic.

We shall be talking together in a short while.

One love!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by chyz(m): 5:28am On Sep 01, 2010
[size=15pt]Igala Movie:[/size]

[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctUQlfw8Cw[/flash]
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by LAGOS1976: 11:01am On Sep 06, 2010
lack here.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by omataeje(m): 5:50pm On Sep 07, 2010
Egwu Igbo chigbo yaka,

Omi choma- abo EGUME DE-E, Ome, shocked shocked
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 08, 2010
I have met many of them. They compete with Ebira as the dominant tribe in Kogi. They are also in Benue, I think.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2010
omata-eje:

Egwu Igbo chigbo yaka,

Omi choma- abo EGUME DE-E, Ome, shocked shocked

@ Omata-eje

O'roka! Omi onugo choma-abo EGUME uche, unyi mi chi ADUMU EGUME.
Ejugbo chunyi ewe egume?

Dohi-mi kaneke kola togba lo.

Agba ewola ugwugwu.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by poweredcom(m): 9:34pm On Nov 17, 2010
@Libra38

Are u igala, Oma Igala che uwe
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by TewMuch: 4:58am On Nov 18, 2010
When spoken the language sounds quite Yoruba, why is this? I have heard an Igala speak and I was surprised that I could partially understand what they were saying.A lot of words are similar.

1 Like

Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 11:15am On Nov 18, 2010
@ Poweredcom

I am a full fledge Igala man, but people who knows me mistake me as an Ibo man.

@ TewMuch

Alot of simillarities exist beetwen Igalas and Yoruba, we the younger generations find it difficult to actually pin point the reasons.

Meanwhile, below is an extract from wikipedia I hope this and more research will solve some of our imaginery questions.

Origin
The Igala are identified by the old oral tradition of Western Igbos as descendants of Igbo migrants who migrated westward during the expansion of the proto-Igbo peoples at the beginning of the 1st millennium. The Yoruba are in turn identified by some Igalas as descendants who continued on west and eventually settled across Western Nigeria and Benin.

The traditional Igala society is largely agrarian, although fishing is also a mainstay of the people especially the Igalas of the riverine Idah area.

Boston (1968) believes that the central geographical location of the Igala people has exposed them to a wide variety of linguistic as well as cultural influences from other ethnic groups in the country. Notable among these are the Igbira, the Bini, the Igbo, the Hausa, the Idoma and the Yoruba ethnic groups. However, the most significant relationship, by far, is that between the Igala and the Yoruba peoples.

Igala and Yoruba have important historical and cultural relationships. The languages of the two ethnic groups bear such a close resemblance that researchers such as Forde (1951) and Westermann and Bryan (1952) regarded Igala as a dialect of Yoruba.

Akinkugbe (1976,1978) is of the opinion that based on evidence, Igala is neither a dialect of Yoruba nor a language resulting from the fusion of Yoruba and Idoma as claimed by Silverstein, but rather Igala shares a “common ancestor” with Yoruba. In her words, “… this common ancestor was neither Yoruba nor Igala but what we have labeled here as Proto-Yoruba-Isekiri–Igala (PYIG). The evidence suggest further that presumably, Igala separated form the group before the split of Yoruba into the present day Yoruba dialects considering the extent of linguistic divergence found between Igala on one hand, and the rest of Yoruba on the other” (1978: 32) Akinkugbe cites lexicostatistic evidence as well as evidence of sound shifts and lexical innovations as support or corroboration of this claim.

Other comparative works aimed at investigating the language status of Igala (directly and indirectly) are Omamor (1967) and Williamson (1973). In fact, Williamson is the originator of the label ‘Yoruboid’ for the group of languages comprising Yoruba, Isekiri and Igala for the purpose of distinguishing “between Yoruba as a language on the one hand, and Yoruba, Isekiri and Igala as a genetic group on the other”. (Akinkugbe 1976:1) Akinkugbe refers to the proto- language of the group as Proto-Yoruboid in 1976 and Proto-Yoruba-Isekiri-Igala (PYIG) in 1978

Contemporary historians believe that the Igala most likely shared a proto-Kwa ancestry with the modern Igbo and Yoruba people as well as most ethnic groups of Nigeria today. Thus, the ethnic family would include not only the prior two, but groups like the Idoma, and the Nupe to the north.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by jason12345: 3:27pm On Nov 18, 2010
so igala are from the same ancestry with the yorubas  shocked shocked shocked. anyway, i knew about the itsekiri part because it was obvious. grin wink
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 3:29pm On Nov 18, 2010
jason12345:

so igala are from the same ancestry with the yorubas shocked shocked shocked. anyway, i knew about the itsekiri part because it was obvious. grin wink

History has it!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by jason12345: 3:33pm On Nov 18, 2010
Libra38:

History has it!

i want the day where every "ethnic group" with the same ancestry would unite but if that happens, have to respect other people's culture and not impose one culture over the other.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 3:37pm On Nov 18, 2010
A great day indeed!

But you can't rule out the possibility of others trying to imposed or make their culture more relevant over the other.
Even animals does so, it's just natural.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by jason12345: 3:42pm On Nov 18, 2010
Libra38:

A great day indeed!

But you can't rule out the possibility of others trying to imposed or make their culture more relevant over the other.
Even animals does so, it's just natural.

true!!!
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by TheClown: 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2010
Hello, I'm Idoma but can speak broken Igala (If you know what I mean).

I'm from Benue, considering the distance of my town from the closest Igala town, I would say I'm in the heart of Idomaland, but, every old man in my village seem to understand Igala. We the younger ones can only pick few words.

Also, I've ever visited an Igala town and I was to suprised that everybody, ie both old and young understand both Igala and Idoma! Why is that?

Again, on travelling out, I saw that Igalas are often mistaken for Idomas and verse versa. And they tend to act like brothers whenever they meet each other.

Meanwhile:

Agboni ma kpe r'agboni

Ogijo da ne, Ache a ch'Imoto n

Alu Ogijo Ma gbulu Omi Eka

Ukpa n'alu amo, Unedo ki nya ch'omi mo

Una una ma j'odo abia.

Popular proverbs used by elders in my village whenever that they want Igala, not without putting the phrase "the Igalas said".

Megba chaka.

I hope to start an Idoma threat like this someday.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by amingafar(m): 9:08pm On Nov 18, 2010
there are different origins and we are relatives to
yorubas ibos hausa fula and nupe binis

ibahim idris

Prince Abubakar Audu
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by Libra38: 9:05am On Nov 19, 2010
@ The Clown
The Clown:

Hello, I'm Idoma but can speak broken Igala (If you know what I mean).

I'm from Benue, considering the distance of my town from the closest Igala town, I would say I'm in the heart of Idomaland, but, every old man in my village seem to understand Igala. We the younger ones can only pick few words.

Also, I've ever visited an Igala town and I was to suprised that everybody, ie both old and young understand both Igala and Idoma! Why is that?

Again, on travelling out, I saw that Igalas are often mistaken for Idomas and verse versa. And they tend to act like brothers whenever they meet each other.

Meanwhile:

Agboni ma kpe r'agboni

Ogijo da ne, Ache a ch'Imoto n

Alu Ogijo Ma gbulu Omi Eka

Ukpa n'alu amo, Unedo ki nya ch'omi mo

Una una ma j'odo abia.

Popular proverbs used by elders in my village whenever that they want Igala, not without putting the phrase "the Igalas said".

Megba chaka.

I hope to start an Idoma threat like this someday.

Those proverbs were replica of the proverbs my father use to make when he was alive, it's only an aged man that make such proverbs, there are all in parables, and it takes a wise man to deduce the meaning.

History has it that Igala and Idoma have co-existed for long. The following is an extraction from wikipedia on Idoma.

Other scholars point to historical and linguistic evidence that suggests that Idoma have ties with the Igala people to the west, concluding that the two nations came from a common ancestor. Among this group, there are those who believe both ethnic groups fled the same kingdom at some point in history. [b]It is interesting to note that many traditional Idoma spiritual chants and “secret” tongues spoken during traditional ceremonies are actually Igala dialects and there are some Idoma themselves who assert their Igala ancestry.[/b]I am suprised you said you can only speak broken Igala language. These proverbs are highly delicate even to some of the born and breeded Igala man.
Re: Igala People: Identify Urself's by TheClown: 9:56am On Nov 19, 2010
They are actually typical Igala proverbs. I was brought up at home, a village close to Oturkpo, and given the fact that Igala is well spoken in my village, though mostly among the elders, I should atleast be able to 'kpita Igala' a little bit.

When I say I speak broken Igala, I'm not also saying that I can't contemplate near perfect Igala. I understand it, its just speaking it that's the problem. With time though, 'enw ki kp'ane na a d'oji dufu fai.' (Literally: That which cracks the land will bring out its head with time).

Mejibo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Oba Olushola Alao Celebrates His Birthday Today (photos) / Osaara Festival In Ile-Ife, Ooni Ogunwusi Feature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.