Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,824 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation (2161 Views)

How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / Egg Found Inside Egg: What's The Scientific Explanation? / Physics With Seun Lanlege - Understanding Scientific Theories + Logic Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by taurus25(m): 3:19pm On Feb 02, 2016
Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (hypnagogia) or awakening (hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react.
It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body).

example of victim experience

“I awoke one morning and realized that my body was completely paralysed .I couldn’t move a muscle. Something was in the room and walked across the bed. I tried to scream but only a slight noise came from my throat. Whoever or whatever was in my room then disappeared. Unfortunately, I have been getting this horrible paralysis for about two months now. The last time it happened I managed to open my eyes but still could not move my body.”

This person is probably suffering from what psychologists call “ sleep paralysis.” Recent surveys suggest that it affects between 25 to 30 percent of the population. People also frequently report feeling a “presence” that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. Sometimes the “entity” may attack by strangling the sleeper and exerting crushing pressure on the chest. It is caused when the back of the brain comes to consciousness before the rest of the body “wakes up.” This is more likely to happen if you are overtired. Doctors also advise that it is best to sleep on your side and not on your back, as this can trigger the condition.
If you find yourself in the midst of a sleep-paralysis episode, you might try a traditional method for overcoming the paralysis by attempting to move your fingers or toes, or even your tongue. A number of people have suggested rapidly moving one’s eyes back and forth as a way of bringing a bout of SP to an end. As it is possible to have multiple episodes in a single night, it may help to get up briefly and move around after any such episode before trying to sleep again.
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Olayinka8793(m): 4:14pm On Feb 02, 2016
Just experinced that shit recently this morning,although not the first time but it remain as scary as ever.
Not a small thing I swear,been experiencing it since like four years ago and from my experience it is usually trigered by a disturbance to an ongoing sleep like been briefly woken up close to dawn or while taking a nap at afternoon.
It is most likely to happen while sleeping on ones back or facing down and yes from personal experience it can also happen while sleeping on the sides,though this is rare

1 Like

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Nobody: 5:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
Meh......... Superstitution is a thing used to explain things when science has not gotten there yet.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by taurus25(m): 5:41pm On Feb 02, 2016
Olayinka8793:
Just experinced that shit recently this morning,although not the first time but it remain as scary as ever.
Not a small thing I swear,been experiencing it since like four years ago and from my experience it is usually trigered by a disturbance to an ongoing sleep like been briefly woken up close to dawn or while taking a nap at afternoon.
It is most likely to happen while sleeping on ones back or facing down and yes from personal experience it can also happen while sleeping on the sides,though this is rare

on point

but did u ever think witches were pressing u....Lol

1 Like

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by taurus25(m): 5:41pm On Feb 02, 2016
SirWere:
Meh......... Superstitution is a thing used to explain things when science has not gotten there yet.

true that!
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Olayinka8793(m): 6:12pm On Feb 02, 2016
taurus25:

on point

but did u ever think witches were pressing u....Lol
In the begining,yes but after having got used to it, I dont think abt witches whenever it happens again.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by great664(m): 9:21am On Feb 03, 2016
Experience it past 7-10 years back. Now i have out grown it. Maybe it happens to certain age of people mostly 15-25years not sure though.

At first you will surely blame it on witches attacking you but that's totally false just an African belief.

A friend once told me that it's definitely witches that he saw clearly as the witch dump 10 bags of cement on his back. Lol, can't stop laughing that day.

My question is does it have any bad/side effect?

A friend also told me that one day he woke up (his spirit) leaving his body so he just shouted that if he leave like this that means he is dead, so he jump back to his body and wake up....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Ikennablue(m): 12:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
lol...at first I used to think it's witches....I Bleep"ng love science!!

2 Likes

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by taurus25(m): 1:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
great664:
Experience it past 7-10 years back. Now i have out grown it. Maybe it happens to certain age of people mostly 15-25years not sure though.

At first you will surely blame it on witches attacking you but that's totally false just an African belief.

A friend once told me that it's definitely witches that he saw clearly as the witch dump 10 bags of cement on his back. Lol, can't stop laughing that day.

A friend also told me that one day he woke up (his spirit) leaving his body so he just shouted that if he leave like this that means he is dead, so he jump back to his body and wake up....

Sleep paralysis poses no immediate risk to those who experience it, despite the fact that it can be an intensely terrifying experience.

what your friend experienced is one of the effects

1 Like

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by K9blunt(f): 12:12am On Mar 13, 2016
taurus25:
Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (hypnagogia) or awakening (hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react.
It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body).

example of victim experience

“I awoke one morning and realized that my body was completely paralysed .I couldn’t move a muscle. Something was in the room and walked across the bed. I tried to scream but only a slight noise came from my throat. Whoever or whatever was in my room then disappeared. Unfortunately, I have been getting this horrible paralysis for about two months now. The last time it happened I managed to open my eyes but still could not move my body.”

This person is probably suffering from what psychologists call “ sleep paralysis.” Recent surveys suggest that it affects between 25 to 30 percent of the population. People also frequently report feeling a “presence” that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. Sometimes the “entity” may attack by strangling the sleeper and exerting crushing pressure on the chest. It is caused when the back of the brain comes to consciousness before the rest of the body “wakes up.” This is more likely to happen if you are overtired. Doctors also advise that it is best to sleep on your side and not on your back, as this can trigger the condition.
If you find yourself in the midst of a sleep-paralysis episode, you might try a traditional method for overcoming the paralysis by attempting to move your fingers or toes, or even your tongue. A number of people have suggested rapidly moving one’s eyes back and forth as a way of bringing a bout of SP to an end. As it is possible to have multiple episodes in a single night, it may help to get up briefly and move around after any such episode before trying to sleep again.

I've experienced it times without number, but I never gave much thought to it.

Nice
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by hopeforcharles(m): 1:56pm On Mar 15, 2016
great664:

You got me laughing hard, lol
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Nobody: 8:49am On Mar 16, 2016
My friend don't delude yourself. Sleep paralysis is a demonic attack.
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by johnydon22(m): 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2016
timonski:
My friend don't delude yourself. Sleep paralysis is a demonic attack.

Its so obvious who is so deluded that he is stuck in medieval and primitive superstition.

A disgrace to human intellect..
Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by odijeks(m): 3:59pm On Mar 17, 2016
I've experienced SP a few times but I personally don't believe it can be 'entirely' attributed to science every time it occurs. the feeling of a presence entering into the room is my greatest concern tho and your science theory doesn't explain that experience. science is just one of the theories and according to wiki, the scientific pathophysiology of SP is not concretely defined. science tells a lot but it CANNOT explain everything and all the powers that governs the universe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding Sleep Paralysis; Superstiton Vs Scientific Explanation by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2016
hallucination is part of it

(1) (Reply)

A 22-year-old Nigerian ‘invents’ Generator That Uses Water, Not Petrol / Science Has Discovered Hell: Science Finally Agrees That Hell Is Real / 25 Reasons To Doubt The Theory Of Evolution.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.