Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

The Dark Stars - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Dark Stars (1216 Views)

Woes Of The Dark Night / IN The DARK (A Story Of Love,betrayal And Survival) / Love In The Dark // A dark eroti-c story (Final episode) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dark Stars by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 02, 2016
This book is the work of SirWere. There should be no copyright infringment and this book can only be quoted in the case of Reviews, journals and also by prominent Literature gurus on Nairaland.........

This is a work of Fiction. Any resemblance to characters, alive or dead or purely by accident
For more info, Contact me on sirluwexi@gmail.com

Oh, and this is a Science Fiction novel.
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 7:50pm On Feb 02, 2016
AUTHOR'S FOREWORD

Tolons is an alien world, and it is not my intention to make you think it is identical to Earth, even though the terms used are also used in our everyday life. Those words should be thought of as equivalents to alien's term- a molue can be a capsule using magnetic bars to move. The people of Tolons have their own language, technology, culture and even religion. To minimize the sci-fi chatter, I have reduced it to a bare minimum.

I could have told you that Xaner-tezxi-Alyuwn paused to remove the tyeasticye before stepping into the zarkxewe. But it will also be difficult to explain and maintain such words, not to mention absolutely crappy. The aim of this story is to try and explore the characters lives; mindless of the fact they are alien. It seems better to say Dare paused to remove his iron needle before stepping up to the magnetic scanner.

Still, if you prefer, you can imagine the texts say "zarkexwe" instead of scanner or "gelzaxtish" instead of hours and "zurkwerx" instead of bread.

Zurkwerx or bread, it will make no differences when the pulsars come out.

1 Like

Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 02, 2016
Hmmm... Looks promising
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 02, 2016
CHAPTER 1
"The gods have come to Tolons. Let us hide, wretched mortals, for their glory burns brighter than the sun!" - The book of Actesian, Chapter 1 vs 35. It is historically doubtful he ever said these words.

It was a dazzling evening. Great red moon Astos was high in the sky and little Saduos was in the lower horizion below it. When your looked towards the cityside, you see the brilliant white points of light in Trey, bright against the darkness. The rocky plains of Tolons' middle continent was flooded with light. A truly cheerful display indeed.

Chiedu-21, Resident psychologist of Aba University, was not happy. He wondered why he was in such a dour mood. Chiedu was basically a cheerful person to begin with, and the two-moons in the sky (the sign for goodluck, if you believe such stuff) usually gave his normally ebullient spirit a great lift. But today, for some reason, he was nervous and apprehensive, although he hid that. He was a pyschologist, after all.

"Would you like to start by talking with some of the scientists?" Director Nosa asked. The director of the scientific univerisity was, like all Thesans, tall and thin. To be honest, he looked like a walking pole. Chiedu, who was far from thin was immediately suspicious of anyone who earned four times his salary and still looks this...........gaunt. In a society where big size was the fashionable thing, he wondered what the hell is wrong with the man.
"Or do you think you want to get some first-hand experience of the frequency first, Dr Chiedu?"
Chiedu forced a laugh, hoping it didn't sound like that.
"Maybe I ought to begin by interviewing a victim or two", hr said. "That way, I will be able to better prepare myself for the horrors of the frequency."
Nosa's dark eyes moved unhappily. But it was Dare-51, the sleek lawyer from the Univerisity's board of attorneys, who spoke out. "Oh come on now, Dr Chiedu.It's a little extreme to say "The horrors of the tunnel!" After all, it was only one scientist who died. And calling them "victims." That's hardly what they are"

The trouble broke out when a group of astrophysicists, in an attempt to see if they can replicate the Electromagnetic waves which comes out of the third star in the Talin Constellation. Apparently, one of the scientists finally discovered a way to partially replicate it. His last words were "I've got it. I've got it. It's 6794123***." He fell into a sort of "trance" before he could finish the sentence. As if that wasn't enough to warn them, the remaining astrophysicists continued working on the code. No one knows what happened; but the University cleaning staff found them in the morning, suffering from mental problems ranging form mild schizophrenia to full blown Alzhemiers.

As is the usual response of the Government, they shut down the univerisity until "appropriate information" can be gathered. Dr Chiedu was sent to confirm whether or not the frequency caused the mental problems, a rather unthankful job.
"I tend to favour the term." said Dr Chiedu stiffly.
"Well it think it's unsensitive and further promotes the wrong image." Said Lawyer Dare.
Before Dr Chiedu could retort, Director Nosa jumped in saying "Gentlemen, please. We are here to uncover a mystery. Let's not be adversaries. We both have the same objective; which is to discover the truth about those men and see if the frequency can be played again."
"Agreed" said Chiedu amiably. It was a waste of time attacking a lawyer. There was more pressing work to do.
He offered Dare a friendly smile and turned to Director Nosa, saying "I suppose we could go see a patient or two. And then we can have lunch and discuss the events of the frequency, as we understand at this point. And then after I have eaten, perhaps-"
"Dinner?" Said Director Nosa, as it was an alien concept.
"Yes, dinner, the supper. An old habit of mine."
"After dinner, perhaps I might take one more patient and then tuck in, if it's all right with you".
"Alright" Director Nosa agreed.
"Perhaps you should see Dolapo-18. He is one of the strongest."
"What about Ngozi-90?" Dare asked
"She's not as strong as Dolapo." NOSA said.
"It's settled, then." Chiedu said.
Chiedu, Dare and Nosa proceeded to go to the room where the scientists were "kept".

"Ah,Gentlemen, look at the stars!" Director Nosa said with unusual exuberance"Doesn't it amaze you how they just pulse, twinkle and beautifully flood our sky with light. Truly, they are diamonds in the sky! I tell you, gentlemen, whenever I see those stars after a bad day, I feel better!!!"

"Yeah, you're right" said Chiedu. "They are a lovely sight indeed."
Chiedu was feeling better himself
Re: The Dark Stars by KachiUgo(m): 9:06pm On Feb 02, 2016
SherlockWayne007:
Hmmm... Looks promising

In fact, it does.
Re: The Dark Stars by KachiUgo(m): 9:12pm On Feb 02, 2016
I love a good sci-fi, so I'll follow this for as long as I can.

Quick question, though. Do these guys--these Theseans--look like humans? Are they humanoid?
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 8:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
KachiUgo:
I love a good sci-fi, so I'll follow this for as long as I can.
Quick question, though. Do these guys--these Theseans--look like humans? Are they humanoid?
The theseans are a race, just like Caucasians and Mongoloids.

Update coming up..........
Cc yeanka007
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: The Dark Stars by yeanka007: 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2016
SirWere:

Following seriously
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 9:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
CHAPTER 2
The problem began when we found a ordered city,resembling our own in every way, in one of the oldest sites known to human history- Kemi-240; a extract on er controverstial papers and findings

Bade-78 stared at the sky.
Unlike Chiedu, Bade did not feel any peace or euphoria coursing through his veins. No, if anything, bade felt horror looking at the sky and waiting for his death.
600,000 miles from Trey, on Tolons northernmost continent, Bade; his Boss and The whole staff waited for a slow but definitely sure death.

A killer snowstorm was heading straight to Calcimos. In a halfhour, it would sweep over their site and then anything could happen. Anything. As if that were not enough, another wind was blowing directly opposite from the snowstorm. Normally, that would mean good news as the snowstorm would be carried by the wind, but the wind was also heading towards their path. If the winds fed one another, then.......... He tried not to think about the most likely result.

But something even worse could happen. The ancient site of Calcimos- the birthplace of life on the planet, the cradle of civilization, the oldest known human abode on Tolons,,- was in trouble.

The snowstorm would directly attack the scars leave by icebergs on the plains. The snowstorm would hit the building like a boxer, rattle its foundation and if it is strong enough, lift it with their own dead corpses.

Calcimos was perhaps the most important site in human history; All nations had signed an agreed pact not to come close to it except highly trained palentologists and even they underwent training. Now to have one of the most important site destroyed by a snowstorm and to think he was involved-. No, perhaps it was better he would probably die. That way, he wouldn't need to spend the rest of his life in jail where he will eventually commit murder.

Perhaps this place was cursed. The ancient Kuli-Kulu tribe seemed to think so; they sent only the worst of criminal here to spend the rest of their lifes; which usually ends in 2 days. Perhaps the curse still hung on this place. Perhaps-

"Hey Bade, have you tied down the tents". Elias-188, a fellow assistant asked.
"What does it matter, we're gonna die anyway".
"Don't say that! The Gods will protect us."
"Gods? Which ones? I don't see anyone here". Bade replied
"Well, I believe!" He said, stomping off.
"Superstitious slowpoke" Bade muttered.
From the other side came Kemi-240; His boss. He hurried to her "Ma'am, where do we hide!"
"I told you, down below the mountains, in that cave we found"
"That cave? We'll be smothered! We'll die!"
"The Cliff will shelter us, go there and stop whining. Get there and account for everybody!"
"Yes, ma'am." Bade said. He saw no reason to argue. It was better than waiting there, expecting death. It was-"
"Here it comes!" Kelechi, the chief cartographer shouted, "Take Cover!!"

Bade didn't want to. For a brief second, he wanted to face the storm like a man, head held high, chests straight. But he was a scientist, not a character in a bad romance novel. He ran for it. His powerful, sturdy legs quickly took him over the frozen tundra, towards the cave, the "shelter". Bade flew over the plains. His good athletic legs plus his fear of death gave him a speed even Kusian Bolte cannot match.
The others were already in the cave. They quickly opened the flimsy wooden door to let him in. Bade squeezed in and Elias shut the door.
"Ramun," Elias moaned, "Ramun and Thäjusk, make the storm turn back!" Bade groaned and laughed at the same time.
However, Elias and the other physical labourer, all from the same village began to pray in a odd chant, or a forgotten dialect. For a moment, Bade was able to forget the storm and began dissecting their chant
- aylas for "we beg you"
- Kezatim for "the storm is powerful"
- Zanzti for...........

"Here it comes," Kelechi said, "Here it is." And he covers his face with his hand.

The full power of the storm broke out over them.
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2016
Mehnnnnn
Re: The Dark Stars by Afz9095(m): 2:47pm On Apr 02, 2016
egbon kontinu na
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 04, 2016
....Revisiting this place feels like.......

Wait, do I smell Nolstagia lipsrsealed

Damn!
Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2016
Chaii gringrin

******Seasons of the sun,
Weathers of the moon.
All things change
Only to return the same
- The Vameesha monks chant. Reflecting on the constant yet ever dependable change of humans. Simply put ; all are born, all will die

........It was a cold star up there for sure, but then this is hardly a happy country.

150 miles north of Utlia, a wasteland that spans 3 continents, a trail forms.

It's intresting, how a trail start. A foot print, a step, a drop of blood. All individually useless, utterly unable to point one's movement.

Alone, they are useless to any tracker.

But put together and ahh, a pattern emerges, a certain order, an arrangement pointing in your direction as sure as anything else.

This particular trail was not formed with prints; for the wind is merciless and shifts constantly; blowing away prints as fast as they are made.

Not blood, for although he was bleeding, he had to good sense to have tied it tightly.

Not even scent, no, not him. Again, the winds made that impossible.

No, the trail was formed by the damn telescope and radio transmitter he was carrying. The worst kind of trail ever.

For one cannot lose its frequency.

So he trods on; creating a continous Electromagnetic trail as he continue to run.

Almost, almost........

The wind howls and moans, cold, uncaring. And why not?? Dead or alive, it did not care. Dead was even better perhaps, for then he would not hinder its movement; did not suck in its precious air with his greedy lungs and then exhale useless waste. Perhaps indeed.

He can hear the sea, mindlessly thrashing upon the rocks with its infinte fury. Cold, merciless, formless. Who could have ever believed it was useful. And yet, without it everything would die.

Lethal ; dangerous perhaps but immensely valuable.

Just like the transmitter

..."I've got to stop doing this mediation nonsense" he mutters to himself.

And so he struggles, labouring under the weight of the two gadgets in his backpack, running against the wind, away from everything he ever knew. Away from safety.

Running to the sea, to danger, to find the all important answer.

"I've got to know, I've got to know" he mutters to himself.

The order would be furious when they find out in the morning. No doubt they would issue proclaimations, send bands to hunt him down. He had no doubt their mission would be simple

Bring him back. Dead or Alive

"I've got to find out" he tells hinself. "I've got to!"

The Magister's fury would be hard to behold. A senior member, the pride of the order for a decade; suddenly running away. With a precious equipment? The mere thought of their anger made him chill, in this wet place.

"I have to know!!!" he screams to the wind, to the sea, to himself. "I have to!".

Silence. Nothing ever moves in the wasteland anyways. Nothing.

"Know what??" Skin prickling, he turns around.

An Imperial member of the noble order of the Vameesha is walking slowly up to him, taking his time. He had no reason to rush anyway.

"Listen to me. Listen-"

"Shut up! Supsect found!! I repeat suspect found." The member says.

"Brother, You've got to let me go. I have to finish my experiment-"

"I said, shut....UP!!" he shouts. "You're supposed to be better than that. Brother Kabsal, the star of the order. The apple of our Magister's eye". He snorted "It was all a lie. You fooled us damnit! You spy!!"

"Listen brother, I have to finish my experiment. Our Lord God-"

"How dare you!! How dare you mention his holy name with your filthy mouth!! Keep quiet now or I'm gonna shoot you. I swear! I will!!"

Kabsal could see he meant it. Well, there was no helping it.

"I'm sorry brother."

"I said, keep-"

the Bomb expolded with a whifff; a sharp crack and then......silence

The imperial member was down, face up staring at the sky. His face seemed locked forever in a perpetual sneer.

Undoubtedly, he was dead.

"I'm sorry brother. I have to complete my experiment. I have to know"

Kabsal was not foolish; he knew the implication of this. He has taken a brother's life. He was now a murder, traitor. A monster. He was less than scum.

The patrols will be doubled, the rovers would mercilessly patrol for him with one simple order.

Kill on sight.

"I have to know"

No doubt his family would also hear about this. Their name would be demonized by the church. It could lead to the destablization of his family house.

Kabsal knew all this. He was aware.

And yet he continued to run, to find a safe place so he can finish his experiment.

For if he is right, it won't matter whether they capture him or not.

It won't matter whether they disgraced his family or not.

It won't even matter whether they believed him or not.

If he is right, all would die.

This world would BURN.

Show some love abeg

1 Like

Re: The Dark Stars by Nobody: 7:49pm On Nov 13, 2016
.... Now I'm reviving this story.

(1) (Reply)

20 Misused English Words That Make Smart People Look Silly / Poem: History Will Remember Us / I Am Publishing A Romantic On Okadabooks, Please You Can Buy It Is Cheap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.