Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,027 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA (23369 Views)

Researchers Searching For Volunteers To Infect With Zika Virus - Photo / Russia Accuses Bill Gates Of Engineering The Zika Virus As A ‘Bioweapon’ / Rockefeller Foundation Holds A 1947 Patent For Zika Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Akosxxx(m): 10:27pm On Feb 02, 2016
A rare case of the Zika virus being transmitted through sex, not a mosquito bite, has been reported in the US.
A patient infected in Dallas, Texas, is likely to have been infected by sexual contact, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) told the BBC.
The person had not travelled to infected areas but their partner had returned from Venezuela.

Zika is carried by mosquitoes and has been linked to thousands of babies being born with underdeveloped brains.
It is spreading through the Americas and the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the disease linked to the virus a global public health emergency.

The American Red Cross has meanwhile urged prospective blood donors returning from Zika-hit countries to wait at least 28 days before donating their blood.

The "self-deferral" should apply to people returning from Mexico, the Caribbean or Central or South America during the past four weeks, the Red Cross said in a statement.
Elsewhere:
Two cases of the Zika virus have been confirmed in Australia. Officials said the two Sydney residents had recently returned from the Caribbean.
Zika has also been found in two unrelated cases in the Republic of Ireland, officials there said. A man and an older woman, who have both recovered, had a history of travelling to a Zika-affected country.
Meanwhile, Brazil - the country worst hit by the outbreak - has revealed it is investigating 3,670 suspected cases of microcephaly in babies linked to the Zika virus.
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Media captionTimeline: How the Zika virus took hold
A total of 404 cases have so far been confirmed - up from 270 last week - while 709 cases have been discarded, the country's health ministry said.

Analysis by James Gallagher, health editor, BBC News website
If Zika can readily spread through sex, then it poses a risk to every country not just those with the Aedes mosquito.
So far, authorities have said sexual transmission is rare, but last year they would have said any case of Zika was rare, too.
This explosive outbreak has caught the world by surprise and many key questions remain unanswered.
Exactly how common or rare is sexual transmission? Can it be spread by the 80% of people who show no symptoms? How long does the virus persist in semen? When is it safe to have sex again?

What should men do after visiting affected countries? Can women also spread the virus through sex?
However, this is not a new HIV/Aids moment. HIV infection is incurable and dramatically shortens lives without daily medication.
Zika infections are short, mild and pose a significant threat only in pregnancy.

The ministry also said 76 infant deaths from microcephaly, either during pregnancy or just after birth, were suspected.
Texas has seen seven other Zika cases all related to foreign travel.
But Anne Schuchat, principal deputy director for CDC, said this was the first case it had dealt with involving a "non-traveller".

"We don't believe this was spread through mosquito bites, but we do believe it was spread through a sexual contact."
A statement issued by the CDC said the best way to avoid Zika virus infection was "to prevent mosquito bites and to avoid exposure to semen from someone who has been exposed to Zika".

The case is "significant" if it was definitely transmitted through sexual contact, Alaka Basu, a senior fellow for public health at the UN Foundation, told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35478778?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 03, 2016
In Emmanuella's Voice... " Thank God am going home" grin

7 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Vince77(m): 9:19am On Feb 03, 2016
The prophecy

22 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by lifezone247(m): 9:19am On Feb 03, 2016
Solodembe:
Devil's virus
Them never see chumchin

2 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Burger01(m): 9:19am On Feb 03, 2016
That royal monarch that went to Brazil along with his wives must be quarantined on return angry lipsrsealed

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by kenbee(f): 9:19am On Feb 03, 2016
ZIKA....................... America again!
AIDS = American Idea to Discourage Sex. (how true is this).

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by DirtyGold: 9:20am On Feb 03, 2016
Strange shits everywhere
What would it take for us to wipe away all mosquitoes in the world please? Do mosquitoes even have any benefit or use at all sef?

What's tha business?

1 Like

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Ifyx(m): 9:20am On Feb 03, 2016
As for me & my household, we shall only hear about this but never experience it cheesy

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 03, 2016
I *Sigh*

11 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Ameanux(m): 9:21am On Feb 03, 2016
Those who go for illegal sex should stop it or face the wrath of zika virus plus h.I.v. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Frank3n2(m): 9:21am On Feb 03, 2016
Hiv & Aids is still on rampage... Now zika carry him own come.. cry

2 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by xender(m): 9:22am On Feb 03, 2016
every single sh!t disease must b transmitted tru s.x

2 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 03, 2016
Oh dear! This is not good. Babies being born with underdeveloped brains will lead to a dip in general intelligence levels, and these babies will be dependent on others for life; putting a big strain on already strained societies. Let's come up with a vaccine already.

11 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Nbote(m): 9:23am On Feb 03, 2016
Hmmmm... I no even know wetin to comment sef.

2 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by lonelydora: 9:23am On Feb 03, 2016
This Zika thing is scary.

But why that name Zika? Sounds like Ngozika.

Two of my friends named Ngozi said I should stop calling them Zika.

10 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by bossanmayor(m): 9:23am On Feb 03, 2016
urh ah here comes anoda
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 03, 2016
The world just keeps getting more complicated and weirder by the minute. You can't drink common garri without the fear of Lassa.
You can't fück without the fear of Chika Zika. grin
Na wa o.

6 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by AK481(m): 9:24am On Feb 03, 2016

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Mickop(m): 9:24am On Feb 03, 2016
chai! Daddy G.O warned them o!
Thank God i'm still chaste.

But seriously, this is endtime virus.

This virus strong o! I even hear say e dey penetrate condom grin

7 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by executioner27: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2016
Daddy GO Prophesied this. End Time Virus...

Guys and Gals....abstinence oooohh...pls.

No be effytin way pass 4 trouser or skirt u must fvk.
Women make una no dey make man swear for una say he must chop because of ur excess demand

Men leave babes alone...its not a must u go count census. Some of these babes na 'mami water' oh.

5 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by nmreports: 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
Jokers all above me.
Guys fumigate your homes.
Use condoms.
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Ucheosefoh(m): 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
This Dallas again ? Ebola enter America na Dallas now zika don enter na Dallas again
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Tunagee(m): 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Flexherbal(m): 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
Another virus?
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by emmanuel596(m): 9:26am On Feb 03, 2016
Adeboyes prophecies

5 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by mrobruche: 9:27am On Feb 03, 2016
Pastor E.A. Adeboye's prophesy

7 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Alwaysup: 9:27am On Feb 03, 2016
Pastor Adeboye said it

7 Likes

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by BUSHHUNTER: 9:31am On Feb 03, 2016
Chai! Make I find my way back to my beloved africa!

1 Like

Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by NPComplete: 9:31am On Feb 03, 2016
Is it possible the spouse or partner actually carried one of the mosquitoes with his/her luggage and on getting home, lets it out and it stings the other partner thereby infecting him/her with the Zika virus?

I mean one lone case is hardly proof that the virus is sexually transmitted. And it is possible some alarmists are trying to make sure that world powers take the virus very seriously.

Even the article ends by saying:
The case is "significant" if it was definitely transmitted through sexual contact, Alaka Basu, a senior fellow for public health at the UN Foundation, told the BBC.
Re: Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA by Booksraggea: 9:31am On Feb 03, 2016
joyfaith687:
"

Guy, create your blog and stop using somebody elsewhere to advertise your site n rubbish

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Vitiligo / Things You Must Know About The As Ac Sc Ss And Cc Genotype / How Much Does It Take To Carry Out Autopsy In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.