Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application (41160 Views)

4 Dangerous Apps You Should Uninstall / This Is Why You Should Uninstall Flash Share Now!!! / Where In Nigeria Is Pank Shin? Truecaller App Keeps Giving That Location. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
I will never uninstall the app I have short term memory I'd rather know who am talking to besides the fact you are on Android negates all this Google owns all of us anyway. We are all tied to the matrix can't do shit without gmail account and can't open one with mobile number.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by stainlex(m): 12:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
To each, his own.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by enigma2007(m): 12:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
Btruth:
Ain't downloading that thing for any amount of money in the world. I so much cherished my privacy.

I could get upset, when people start asking me such an unnecessary questions about me.

wink

The fact that you did not download it does not mean it's not on somebody's contact and that might have been uploaded to Truecaller.. So either ways, you are going to be affected.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by ayaoba1997(f): 12:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
wanna teach me? wink cheesy
Electronzeez:

We gave them the approval bro grin. I believe you must agree to the terms and condition before downloading it.

Terms and conditions are always very long , I have a boss that taught me how to read terms and conditions before clicking Accept or sign.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Btruth: 12:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
enigma2007:

The fact that you did not download it does not mean it's not on somebody's contact and that might have been uploaded to Truecaller.. So either ways, you are going to be affected.

Hummmm!
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by lomprico(m): 12:18pm On Feb 03, 2016
Electronzeez:
The best explanation that can be given to truecaller is from the name itself true' caller ' . an apps that reveal the identity of a number... which is mostly name , location and sometimes address .

Truecaller is designed such that it access your entire contact and messages .it might have access to some other files on your phone , I don't know that for sure .

The advantage of truecaller outweigh its disadvantage ....... the blocking of spam calls,messages , unveiling the identity behind a number , the location a number is calling in from .
The major disadvantage of truecaller is that it is very very implicating , the very moment you gave a truecaller user your number , your private line becomes a public line , sorry but it is the truth .

The truecaller on my phone is a week old. Why I downloaded this application ? . everytime I give someone my number they are always like 'oh you are so so and so? , oh you school ....? 'You are from that state'? and I have this reflex "truecaller again!!!!". Whats the point?, everyone on planet earth can tell what my name is just by dialing it on a truecaller application , my hotline is not in anyway private .

The fact is the only number that has no name tag to it on truecaller app is the number that has not been given to a truecaller user .

How to remove your number from Truecaller

You must uninstall truecaller application from your phone before you proceed below.

Go to the Truecaller unlist page.Enter your phone number with the correct country code. For example: +911140404040or +919999999999.Tick one of the reasons for unlisting, or if you wish, type your reasons for removal in the OtherKey in the verification captcha.Click Unlist.

Unlist page , visit
https://www.truecaller.com/unlist

Note ; there is no permanent way to remove your number from truecaller data base , hence trying the method above can only take you off from truecaller database for at least a year.

Stay secure!

http://www.gadgetsreview.com.ng/how-to-remove-your-number-from-truecaller-database/

once u type any number, truecaller searches the www to locate any name tagged with that number, even if u dont have the app. when it first came out it used my facebook name to link my number, and that made me remove my phone number from fb. and also if i have truecaller app on my phone and ur number is among my contacts, its still links you to its data base, even if someone elese with d app dials that ur number, it shows d name i saved it with on my phone.
for eg my mus still uses nokia touch phone (she prefers it for its simplicity and she has never had a smart phone) but if search her number in a strangers trucaller app, the name 'mum" appears.

it a nutshell we are all exposed to this.

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by airsaylongcon: 12:19pm On Feb 03, 2016
pcguru1:
I will never uninstall the app I have short term memory I'd rather know who am talking to besides the fact you are on Android negates all this Google owns all of us anyway. We are all tied to the matrix can't do shit without gmail account and can't open one with mobile number.

From your moniker I expect your are at least some kind of IT knowledgeable person. To however suggest that one cannot use android without a Gmail account is out rightly incorrect. If you wanna use android and not be tied to Google it is very very possible.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by optional1(f): 12:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
KINGwax007:
start using gas
abeg God go bless u x3 if u go fit buy gas 4 me while i still dey sch.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by delightz(m): 12:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
.....its no news any more that someone must come up with a bad report for everything good thing.
I feel you op.
You are just fulfilling one of the signs of #end_times.
Keep your opinions to yourself. The app is serving its purpose.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by goldfish80(m): 12:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
Squad4:
Whats your concern here exactly?

You installed truecaller because you want to see the identity of every caller?

Why then do you have an issue with people seeing who you are when they get your number?

Truecaller does not give out your number to anybody and doesnt have your email address either and gives location based on where you use your phone mostly...so i dont really know what you are complaining about or did you not read what the app does before you downloaded it?

And besides you dont have to signup or download the app for the truecaller users to identify you. See how it works for every user that downloads the app gives it access to their contacts; so whatever the person saved your number as on their phone is saved to the Truecaller database. SO if on my phone i save it as "Stupid Fool" and i have the app, then anyone that gets your number will see Stupid Fool come up grin grin grin
exactly, thats how it works. before I ever registered and downloaded the app, I discovered my name was already on their database. I basically went an extra mile to make sure my picture was not exposed.

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
airsaylongcon:

From your moniker I expect your are at least some kind of IT knowledgeable person. To however suggest that one cannot use android without a Gmail account is out rightly incorrect. If you wanna use android and not be tied to Google it is very very possible.

Please tell me how you can conveniently use Android not ASOP (Android Open Source Projects) Phones without connecting with a Google account, I don't know about you but i purchase games, sync my gmail because that's the only place that has stored all my contacts. even on Nokia X2 folks go the long mile to even try to even get Google Accounts on it, unless you receive calls and install *cracked games* you might not need account but as an IT person it's almost unavoidable.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by bubbleslink: 12:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
Its a very nice app, my problem with it is dat it hangs my phone sometimes grin
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 03, 2016
goldfish80:

exactly, thats how it works. before I ever registered and downloaded the app, I discovered my name was already on their database. I basically went an extra mile to make sure my picture was not exposed.

Exactly i was never on it and it had my name. I have lots of creeps calling me so i need it
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by free13: 12:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
Hmm...
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 12:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
It's a crazy ass app. I deleted it eventually
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Electronzeez(m): 12:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
lomprico:

once u type any number, truecaller searches the www to locate any name tagged with that number, even if u dont have the app. when it first came out it used my facebook name to link my number, and that made me remove my phone number from fb. and also if i have truecaller app on my phone and ur number is among my contacts, its still links you to its data base, even if someone elese with d app dials that ur number, it shows d name i saved it with on my phone.
for eg my mus still uses nokia touch phone (she prefers it for its simplicity and she has never had a smart phone) but if search her number in a strangers trucaller app, the name 'mum" appears.

it a nutshell we are all exposed to this.

Point noted , I don't want to go about writing epistle , trust nairalander , they would not read it grin.

Explaining what goes on behind the scene in crowd searching a particular number is another story .
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by unite4real: 12:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
Btruth:
Ain't downloading that thing for any amount of money in the world. I so much cherished my privacy.

I could get upset, when people start asking me such an unnecessary questions about me.

wink

you dont need to download it for your identity to be revealed. For example, if i have truecaller and you dont have, the moment you call me, i will add your number to truecaller database as mr. XYZ. as soon as you call any other person who has truecaller, your identity will be revealed to the person.

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by eve007: 12:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
I hate the true caller application,but I ve it on my phone*hidesface*The bottom line is to be ahead n outsmart them.The World offers you no sympathies for knowledge offered but declined by you....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by airsaylongcon: 12:38pm On Feb 03, 2016
pcguru1:

Please tell me how you can conveniently use Android not ASOP (Android Open Source Projects) Phones without connecting with a Google account, I don't know about you but i purchase games, sync my gmail because that's the only place that has stored all my contacts. even on Nokia X2 folks go the long mile to even try to even get Google Accounts on it, unless you receive calls and install *cracked games* you might not need account but as an IT person it's almost unavoidable.

You emphasising the word conveniently puts a different spin to it. In super stealth mode I run the Replicant OS (ANDROID based) on my Note 1. Install apps from F-Droid repository. I can still check my gmail email using the inbuilt email client. Install Telegram and whatsapp directly from their websites. Any app not on the F-Droid report ain't worth it when I wanna remain anonymous. Facebook? I use their mobile website which uses up less battery. My point is it is possible to use Android without a Gmail account. A Gmail account is needed only if you want to get apps from Google Play Store. For someone that knows about other secure repositories you don't need to sign in to Google
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by eve007: 12:38pm On Feb 03, 2016
eve007:
I hate the true caller application,but I have it on my phone*hidesface*The bottom line is to be ahead n outsmart them.The World offers you no sympathies for knowledge/technologies offered but declined by you....
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by davou4eva(m): 12:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
There is a Privacy Menu on the setting to control and limit who can have access to your contact details.....MY VERDICT: Its an excellent application. As long as you are not a criminal. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Btruth: 12:41pm On Feb 03, 2016
unite4real:

you dont need to download it for your identity to be revealed. For example, if i have truecaller and you dont have, the moment you call me, i will add your number to truecaller database as mr. XYZ. as soon as you call any other person who has truecaller, your identity will be revealed to the person.
truly? Like seriously?

I might as well download it then. One world data base coming up.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by viewflux(m): 12:41pm On Feb 03, 2016
True caller I know, true caller I love, why will you be afraid of true caller if your not into crap/fraudulent business.
That moment when when someone calls your line and claims his name is PETER and true caller is showing Andrew 419 or that moment when an unanimous numbers called you( 419 pson i guess) and you just call his name, he becomes confuse and cutoff the call.

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 03, 2016
GO TO PRIVACY SETTINGS AND CHANGE IT

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Slingshotz(m): 12:44pm On Feb 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

Point noted , I don't want to go about writing epistle , trust nairalander , they would not read it grin.

Explaining what goes on behind the scene in crowd searching a particular number is another story .

I get ur point OP bout d unlisting from their website but if after you unlist then somone who has ur number on their phone and knows ur name wil resave the number and trust true caller to sync the number wit d name saved on the phone then you are bac to square one grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by vic3ee: 12:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
HOW DO I REMOVE MY NUMBER FROM TRUECALLER’S DATABASE?

Should you wish to remove your number from our database, we have made it easy to unlist your number. Please note that if you unlist your phone number from Truecaller, you can no longer use the app. To unlist your number, please go to www.truecaller.com/unlist
If you have verified your phone number, you first need to deactivate your account in the app. This is to ensure that it is the actual owner who wishes to unlist their phone number.
To deactivate your account on:
Android: Open the app > Press on the people icon in the upper left corner > Settings > About > Deactivate account.
iPhone: Open the app > Press on the cogwheel in the top right corner > About Truecaller > Scroll down > Deactivate Truecaller.
Windows Phone: Open the app and press on the ’3-dot menu’ at the bottom right corner > Settings > Help > Deactivate account.

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Datevilme: 12:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
How to Avoid Truecaller:

1. Buy a new Sim
2. Register the Sim
3. Buy a nokia torchlight fone and put the sim inside
4. Dont call anybody with the fone, and dont give anybody your number.

wink wink

7 Likes

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Bantino(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
Noted!!!

The poster above me though grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by 6digitscomrade: 12:58pm On Feb 03, 2016
u said it all...
Squad4:
Whats your concern here exactly?

You installed truecaller because you want to see the identity of every caller?

Why then do you have an issue with people seeing who you are when they get your number?

Truecaller does not give out your number to anybody and doesnt have your email address either and gives location based on where you use your phone mostly...so i dont really know what you are complaining about or did you not read what the app does before you downloaded it?

And besides you dont have to signup or download the app for the truecaller users to identify you. See how it works for every user that downloads the app gives it access to their contacts; so whatever the person saved your number as on their phone is saved to the Truecaller database. SO if on my phone i save it as "Stupid Fool" and i have the app, then anyone that gets your number will see Stupid Fool come up grin grin grin
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Ezyp(m): 1:02pm On Feb 03, 2016
steppin:
Whether you have it on your phone or not, information about you can get to them. It can be through friends or relatives.
I have a phone line I rarely use except to call people very close to me. Out of curiosity, I searched for details of the number and I was surprised my nicknames popped up. They used the info on my friends' phone to update the number.
Exactly what happened to me... They upload contacts from ones phone to their data base even if you don't have true caller your number is on their data base
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
airsaylongcon:

You emphasising the word conveniently puts a different spin to it. In super stealth mode I run the Replicant OS (ANDROID based) on my Note 1. Install apps from F-Droid repository. I can still check my gmail email using the inbuilt email client. Install Telegram and whatsapp directly from their websites. Any app not on the F-Droid report ain't worth it when I wanna remain anonymous. Facebook? I use their mobile website which uses up less battery. My point is it is possible to use Android without a Gmail account. A Gmail account is needed only if you want to get apps from Google Play Store. For someone that knows about other secure repositories you don't need to sign in to Google

Interesting ! thanks for the information, yeah you are right i even remembered when using BB10 and Nokia X i had other store apps, however the biggest issues i had was Google Play services; as it was required for most games i wanted to play, when it comes to Android i don't try to install stock because my card is connected and my fear about rooting is given illegal apps permissions. Yeah you are right.
Re: Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application by enigma2007(m): 1:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
Btruth:

Hummmm!

Truecaller uploads the contacts of people that installed the app. So there is a likelihood that your details are in their database already thanks to one or many of your friends. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This Is The Reason SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Phones / 3 Things The New Nokia 8 Can Do That Your Infinix Or Tecno Phone Can't Do / 10 Best Selfie Smartphone With Good Front Camera 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.