Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. (11654 Views)

Gov. Ambode At Signing Of Bond Deal With Issuing Houses At Lagos House, Ikeja / 5 Simple Ways To Reduce The Cost Of Your Building Project / How Much Is Your House Rent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by NifemiOlu(m): 6:34am On Feb 03, 2016
I've been intending to post stuff on house renting in Lagos but it has always skipped my mind until I saw the story of a guy swindled by his landlord.

One the highest scams in Lagos state is run in real estate. When it comes house renting, estate agents and some ‘landlords’ are notorious for renting out uncompleted buildings, houses not up for rent/sale, double renting etc. The following ways should help in reducing the chances of falling victim especially if you’re planning to come to Lagos.
The agent: Pay attention to the attitude of the agent. Be careful of agents that are in a rush. They tell you to pay on ASAP, they tell you to pay for an uncompleted building that your money will be used to finish the house…Agents with real stuff are always calm. When inspecting a property, make sure the agent has the keys to the building. Never pay for a house you inspected from the window. Whenever you’re about to make payment, never pay by hand—do a bank transfer. In this present day of BVN, you’re a bit protected. While filling the transfer details, write something like “House Rent” where necessary.
Also ask to meet the landlord before you make payment. Your instincts should tell you the rest.
Do a background search: When I wanted to get an apartment, I searched online and got an agent’s number. I ran his number on True Caller and it revealed his name to be “James agent Lekki”. I was 10% assured he was an agent so I called him and he took me to a property. After inspecting the property, I came back there on my own to ask other occupants in the compound what’s up. I asked for the landlord’s number too. The rest is history 101.
The payment: As I said earlier, do not pay by hand. This is 2016. If the agent is available, both of you should go to the bank with the keys to the apartment in his hands. As soon as the landlord confirms the transfer, both of you should head to the property.
Most importantly, trust your instincts because there are many dynamics to house renting in Lagos state. Stay safe.

Source: http://nifemiolu..com.ng/2016/01/lagos-house-rent-how-to-reduce-chances.html

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by mrking3(m): 6:40am On Feb 03, 2016
If receipt is readily available! Why can't one pay by hand?
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by NifemiOlu(m): 6:46am On Feb 03, 2016
mrking3:
Even if the receipt is available, they can deny they issued it but a bank transfer will show details of transfer which is valid in any court of law in case of eventualities.

28 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by MosakuAW(m): 7:10am On Feb 03, 2016
A word is enough for the wise.

So called landlords(ladies) are dubious, greedy and crazy people. Imagine me paying for 2yrs rent plus commission and damages adding up to N900,000 and after my rent expired, my landlady increases my rent to 500k from 350k just because a new 2 storey building was built beside my house and the landlord of the house requested for N500k per annum.

I refused to pay the 500k and asked her to give me quit notice of 6months or let me make the payment of 350K x2 of another 2yrs or i use 6-9months free in the apartment before parking out.

Today, the rest is history. You have to be strong and dont do gentle man things with all this landlords and agents.

17 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by NifemiOlu(m): 11:07am On Feb 26, 2016
MosakuAW:

So called landlords(ladies) are dubious, greedy and crazy people. Imagine me paying for 2yrs rent plus commission and damages adding up to N900,000 and after my rent expired, my landlady increases my rent to 500k from 350k just because a new 2 storey building was built beside my house and the landlord of the house requested for N500k per annum.

I refused to pay the 500k and asked her to give me quick notice of 6months or let me make the payment of 350K x2 of another 2yrs or i use 6-9months free in the apartment before parking out.

Today, the rest is history. You have to be strong and dont do gentle man things with all this landlords and agents.
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by gabbytabby: 12:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Very good advice. Always go back and speak to other occupants.
NifemiOlu:
I've been intending to post stuff on house renting in Lagos but it has always skipped my mind until I saw the story of a guy swindled by his landlord.

One the highest scams in Lagos state is run in real estate. When it comes house renting, estate agents and some ‘landlords’ are notorious for renting out uncompleted buildings, houses not up for rent/sale, double renting etc. The following ways should help in reducing the chances of falling victim especially if you’re planning to come to Lagos.
The agent: Pay attention to the attitude of the agent. Be careful of agents that are in a rush. They tell you to pay on ASAP, they tell you to pay for an uncompleted building that your money will be used to finish the house…Agents with real stuff are always calm. When inspecting a property, make sure the agent has the keys to the building. Never pay for a house you inspected from the window. Whenever you’re about to make payment, never pay by hand—do a bank transfer. In this present day of BVN, you’re a bit protected. While filling the transfer details, write something like “House Rent” where necessary.
Also ask to meet the landlord before you make payment. Your instincts should tell you the rest.
Do a background search: When I wanted to get an apartment, I searched online and got an agent’s number. I ran his number on True Caller and it revealed his name to be “James agent Lekki”. I was 10% assured he was an agent so I called him and he took me to a property. After inspecting the property, I came back there on my own to ask other occupants in the compound what’s up. I asked for the landlord’s number too. The rest is history 101.
The payment: As I said earlier, do not pay by hand. This is 2016. If the agent is available, both of you should go to the bank with the keys to the apartment in his hands. As soon as the landlord confirms the transfer, both of you should head to the property.
Most importantly, trust your instincts because there are many dynamics to house renting in Lagos state. Stay safe.

Source: http://nifemiolu..com.ng/2016/01/lagos-house-rent-how-to-reduce-chances.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by stanbuggy(m): 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Wadesings: 1:40pm On Feb 26, 2016
Lagos and rent scams nah 5 and 6

2 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Hysmady(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
Ok
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by bolt000(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
This is Good wink
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by haywire07(m): 1:41pm On Feb 26, 2016
I wish to be scammed undecided
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Flexherbal(m): 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
Good
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by ibkgab001: 1:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
HYwire think like kosemani
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by faruz: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
?
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by demarc001: 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Lagos landlords no dey smile oo!
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Dexema(m): 1:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
good write up, but please how can we scrap estate agents or make them officially bound by law? these people can be very dubious and evil, imagine I asked for a house of 450k-500k and I'm expected about 200k for charges and some other nonsense. I really felt like sammaaing the guy beta slap. angry

7 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by agwunchauc(m): 1:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
So you think if you are given quite notice you won't pay rent again hmmmmmm story for the gods
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Ipheyemmy01(m): 1:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
Lagos na wa oo...
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Bigtoto(f): 1:56pm On Feb 26, 2016
mrking3:
anyone could design receipts with just 3k5

1 Like

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
MosakuAW:

I refused to pay the 500k and asked her to give me quit notice of 6months or let me make the payment of 350K x2 of another 2yrs or i use 6-9months free in the apartment before parking out.

Please don't categorize all landlords as the bolded. I've lived as a tenant in some houses and I've never experienced any bad side of the landlords. Just because some landlords and agents swindle people off money doesn't mean all landlords and agents are fraudsters undecided

It's just like saying a Yoruba/Igbo/Hausa/Bini/Efik/Other tribe landlord molested a minor living with his tenant then we all conclude that everyone from the same tribe as the the landlord is a child molester? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Mekky2010: 2:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
In normal climes u actually agree on all terms, sign contract before payment. That contract becomes the authority under which payment is being made.

In Nigeria they keep shouting just pay if u like it o else somebody else will pay.

I was forming obodo oyibo while looking for house in Abj, nobody was even ready to show me the draft agreement not to talk of signing before payment.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by greggng: 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2016
NifemiOlu:

Even if the receipt is available, they can deny they issued it but a bank transfer will show details of transfer which is valid in any court of law in case of eventualities.

My landlord died and the first son took over. Twice I ve paid him yearly rent without him issueing a receipt. The only evidence I ve is the teller used in the cash deposit I made to his account. The second one I transfered directly frm my bank to his bank . I ve also photocopied the bank tellers. However I didn't state the purpose of transaction as house rent. No one is troubling me but am only afraid they might deny it in the nearest future . Pls advice cos the son is adamant of issuing receipt

2 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by hartson(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2016
eko oniba je ooooo!!!
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Adonis3: 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
hmmm

Well said!

#Adonis3HasSopken
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 26, 2016
haywire07:
I wish to be scammed undecided
How much do u have undecided
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by nikkyshyne(f): 3:27pm On Feb 26, 2016
NifemiOlu:

... I was 10% assured he was an agent so I called him and he took me to a property. After inspecting the property, I came back there on my own to ask other occupants in the compound what’s up. I asked for the landlord’s number too. The rest is history 101...
So you bypassed the agent right?
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by haywire07(m): 3:33pm On Feb 26, 2016
HateU2:
How much do u have undecided

Large enoff to be scammed undecided

Do u hav a bright idea? angry
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Afolabs101: 4:37pm On Feb 26, 2016
greggng:

My landlord died and the first son took over. Twice I ve paid him yearly rent without him issueing a receipt. The only evidence I ve is the teller used in the cash deposit I made to his account. The second one I transfered directly frm my bank to his bank . I ve also photocopied the bank tellers. However I didn't state the purpose of transaction as house rent. No one is troubling me but am only afraid they might deny it in the nearest future . Pls advice cos the son is adamant of issuing receipt

As long as u have copies of the bank tellers and an automatic record of bank transfers is held by banks and CBN, u have proof that u paid ur landlord.

It should be easy to prove in court or even just to the police (if he at any point tries to invite them over the matter), that the payments u made were for rent. Since ur living in his property and have no other business with him.

So relax and enjoy ur home!

1 Like

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by profmallory(m): 5:13pm On Feb 26, 2016
Nairaland people Una head dey there.. there is nothing you search for on the web that hasn't been mentioned on Nairaland. Thumbs up.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by adedam007(m): 5:59pm On Feb 26, 2016
G
Re: Lagos House Rent: How To Reduce The Chances Of Being Scammed. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 26, 2016
NifemiOlu:

Hi, my cousin bro is planning on going to unilag soonest, what are the tips to avoid this house scams there and you know safest area to live close to the campus?

(1) (2) (Reply)

AMEN ESTATE PHASE 2 12million per plot with development fees inclusive / Remote IP-CCTV Security For Home/Business / At Least 52 Die In Johannesburg Building Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.