Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (54608 Views)

What Is The Difference Between a Cover Letter And an Application Letter? / "I Am Eating Suya With Your NNPC Application Letter For 2017 Job" / What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by danduchi(m): 11:37am On Feb 03, 2016
Here are some important points to note about the difference between both documents: In their simplest form; A Cover Letter as the name implies, can cover any kind of document--a report, a CV/résumé, a budget, application package, even an application letter!, while an Application Letter is specifically an application for seeking a job.

An application letter is often intended to stand on its own, and basically contains your qualifications and describes a bit of who you are and what you have done, as well as, your objectives and why you want to apply for a job.

Whereas a cover letter generally can't be the applicant's only document submitted to express interest in a job opening. A cover letter typically accompanies each resume you send out.

A cover letter should complement, not duplicate, your resume. Its purpose is to interpret the data-oriented, factual resume and add a personal touch.

A Cover Letter is usually a page you have typed in the format of any buisness letter in which you introduce yourself to a perspective employer.

While an Application can sometimes be a form that is given by a hiring company or person in which you would fill in information asked for on this form that would often be included in a resume. Many employers will ask you to write to them perhaps in the form of application letters when they advertise jobs. Sometimes you will be asked to send your CV or resume. Your CV or curriculum vitae lists your educational and career history and is a useful summary for an employer of all your educational and employment achievements up to the present time.

You must always ensure that it is up to date. A covering letter may then be very useful because you can enclose it with your CV or the completed application letter. In your covering letter you can then draw attention to particular information which you wish to highlight in the other documents it covers (application letter or CV). Finally, however, to clear your doubts, cover letters can also sometimes be used as application letters. I hope this helps.

34 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by danduchi(m): 11:39am On Feb 03, 2016
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed
20 Second Ave.
Surulere, Lagos
April 7, 2013
The Human Resource Manager
XYZ Company
123 Central District.
Abuja, Nigeria
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am interested in the Coordinator position advertised on
ABC Media. Given my related experience and excellent
capabilities I would appreciate your consideration for this
job opening. My skills are an ideal match for this position.
As a professional administrative assistant with excellent
research skills, I am eager to contribute my abilities and
experience to XYZ Company. Given my extensive training
and background, I believe I can help XYZ Company meet its
goal of providing only the most accurate and timely
information to its clients.
Please find enclosed my resume and a list of my references.
Feel free to call me at 1234567890, to arrange a time to
meet. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Emeka Taiwo Ahmed.

77 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
nice one bro
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by johndwayy(m): 12:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
@danduchi, wot u wrote just now, is it a cover letter or an application letter?

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by danduchi(m): 1:02pm On Feb 03, 2016
johndwayy:
@danduchi, wot u wrote just now, is it a cover letter or an application letter?
a cover letter

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by jachi001(f): 1:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
Now i know the difference. Thanks op for the enlightment.
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Babzrockman: 2:05pm On Feb 03, 2016
Op, what u have just done will change some peoples lives and mindset. Excellent!
But it would 've been good if u equally give an example of application letter since u hav given for cover letter

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by johndwayy(m): 2:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Babzrockman:
Op, what u have just done will change some peoples lives and mindset. Excellent!
But it would 've been good if u equally give an example of application letter since u hav given for cover letter
Dats the truth... Op please give a sample of application letter aslo.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by faites(f): 2:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
johndwayy:

Dats the truth... Op please give a sample of application letter aslo.

I love this letter. It already put the job seeker in very bright light that can catch any attention
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Benjom(m): 2:55pm On Feb 03, 2016
Good effort OP.

I equally wrote about this in a comprehensive manner on my site with a template:
www..com/how-write-exceptional-cover-letter/

View Unique CV Samples:
www..com/cv-samples/

Satisfied Clients:
www..com/testimonials/

Get your CV repackaged using any of the sample formats with your own unique content... and get your long awaited desired job effortlessly:
www..com/cv-rewrite/

1 Like

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by palladin: 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
Good one @op
Now i know.

Dragnet, SHL, Workforce PQ & Answers are on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2685888/myjob-mobile-app-android
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by danduchi(m): 4:25pm On Feb 03, 2016
Sample of a good Application letter.

4, Asa street,
Ikeja Lagos.
Ist June,2006.
The Human resources Manager,
ABC Nigeria Limited.
4, Tom street, Ibadan
Oyo state
Dear sir,
APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF A CHIEF ACCOUNTANT
I read with extreme interest your advertisement in The
Guardian Newspaper of May 30th 2006 for the post of a
Chief Accountant. My second class upper grade in
Accounting,proffessional qualification (ACA), Master degree
in finance and many years cognate experience seems to
fit me well for this position.
I understand this post requires a candidate with strong
analytical mind,a self starter ,who must be able to work with
lesser supervision.
All this attributes are already part of me as evidenced by my
rapid promotion in the past. Kindly contact me at the above address or through my telephone number 08038363655 for an interview where my ability to add value to ABC Nigeria limited can be assessed. Thank you for your time and considration
Yours faithfully,
Adekunle Olufunso

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by profeoo(m): 4:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
Nice job @ op
However, I wish to add that a covering letter should have at least 3 paragraphs without leaving any margin.
The first paragraph should also indicate when you will be available to start with the company.
The second and third should express your skills and what makes you stand out tall for the job.
Once more good job!

To fellow joblanders,let's ensure to add a cover letter to any application whether it was asked or not. It strengthens
strengthens your CV.

.lalasticlala come and see food ooo

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by sheddo619(m): 5:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Danduchi Thanks a lot for those perfect samples up there, I think lalasticlala needs to see this
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by deanoffaculty: 6:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
Thanks OP....a million hugs for you!
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by timilehin007(m): 6:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
Educative
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by brunofarad(m): 6:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
For job seekers
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Clone2020(m): 6:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
After all this packaging, they will still give the job to the person with the fake britico accent or the most bleached girl or family members & friends of the company.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by cutetopsey(f): 6:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
ok
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
letter na letter ask buhari!
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by esaias1(m): 6:51pm On Feb 03, 2016
well done op.
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by ladyF(f): 6:53pm On Feb 03, 2016
Educating....

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by abbey621(m): 6:54pm On Feb 03, 2016
When it comes to applying for a job, there's no difference between a cover letter and an application letter. Both must be accompanied with a resume or CV and are designed to influence the hiring manager or HR's decision.

6 Likes

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by dedons: 6:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
Ok
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by adebrave1(m): 6:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
ok
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Horlawale1(m): 7:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
Nice one bro
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by AreaFada2: 7:04pm On Feb 03, 2016
Very useful. A sample cv would be great. There are many formats out there now.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by MaBuk(f): 7:08pm On Feb 03, 2016
Well done
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by MisterDreamz(m): 7:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
This is just the same as my OAU predegree english note on application and cover letter...op Oya confess! cheesy
BTW nice knowledge shared there!
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by MotorConnectz(m): 7:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
Wow thanks for this.
Re: Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter by Jahdeyemi: 7:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
profeoo:
Nice job @ op
However, I wish to add that a covering letter should have at least 3 paragraphs without leaving any margin.
The first paragraph should also indicate when you will be available to start with the company.
The second and third should express your skills and what makes you stand out tall for the job.
Once more good job!

To fellow joblanders,let's ensure to add a cover letter to any application whether it was asked or not. It strengthens
strengthens your CV.

.lalasticlala come and see food ooo
can u write ur cover letter in d body of ur email wit ur attached cv? If yes, do u nid to include ur address and d addressee, jst like d Op did in d above cover letter

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Embarassing Application Letter By A UNICAL Graduate / Career Websites In Nigeria: From Banks To Oil To Recruitment To Govt Etc. / Invitation For Computer-based Test At MTN Maritime House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.