Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? (25077 Views)

Daughter & Father Dump Man Who Trained Her In School For Malaysian Returnee / Sex Once In 3 Months, Lasts 30 Secs Yet He Blames Me For Not Giving Him A Child / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 05, 2016
@funkyjms

Thank you smiley
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by blesoh(f): 11:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
Etinosajay:

Thanks.
Give me regards to your little angel, & d daddy
wow so we finally hit d front page.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Ak4me(m): 11:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
To me I think its best if we can start @ 6months coz children of nowadays are so sharp and intelligence though we started btw 5 and 6yrs.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Ruq: 11:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hunnydropps:

A couple things helped me be able to take this approach. The biggest factor was that their father had a decent income that allowed me to remain home. Actually teaching them at home was more economical because the cost of daycare would have eaten most if not all of the income I would've made.

So to bring in a little income I did babysitting for friends and neighbors at a very reasonable price. It not only help the household finances but gave my girls other toddlers to interact with and I would teach all the children together. I was sure to never have more than 2 children to babysit any given day so that I have plenty time to work with the kids. As far as keeping house and shopping, etc. I just involved the kids in everything. If I was cooking for instance I would turn it into a learning activity...like talking about say chickens....how they grow, that they lay eggs, etc.
We would talk about the heat used to cook food, count beans, point out colors of clothing during washing time.

I made EVERYTHING an opportunity to teach...explained how, why, when we do things. People were surprised how I was ALWAYS with the children and able to upkeep the home at the same time while educating them. Even my sister was perplexed at how I did it.

Finding a source of creating income that didn't take me out of the home (which for me also solved the issue of allowing my kids to properly socialize with agemates), setting a little amount of time to sit & teach them like they do in school, and then doing continuous teaching by incorporating the kids in all my activities were the keys for me. The other great thing that resulted from my approach was that the girls had an amazing vocabulary due to all the communication we had.

I wouldn't exchange those early years with them even if I was a millionaire that could've afforded to pay for those first years of schooling. Even though it was a 24/7 undertaking it gave me the most precious memories. I even hope to do this for my grandchildren one day.

I love you already (I know you're married) smiley, I'm certain that you'll raise Angels. I salute your hardwork, I wish you the best.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by IYANGBALI: 12:20am On Feb 06, 2016
6 months is the most ideal
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by PrincessC11(f): 12:41am On Feb 06, 2016
Etinosajay:
Hi,

I would like parents here, as well as teachers or school administrators to share their opinion here.

What is the ideal or appropriate or "okay" age for a child (toddler) to be registered in school?

Say, Daycare, Toddler class, creche, as the case may be.
The earlier kids start school the better. It helps them develop fast in different aspects of their lives.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Adeevah(m): 1:42am On Feb 06, 2016
2years...but 1year, 6month is another good starting point
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 1:44am On Feb 06, 2016
Thank you. I appreciate your comment, @Ruq smiley
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 1:46am On Feb 06, 2016
4 months, 23 days, 15 hours and 46 seconds old
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by akankemi1(f): 4:47am On Feb 06, 2016
I will br registering my son for pre nursery school by September since dats is d next calendar year. he would be 1 year 4months. wouldn't want to wait till the following year. You just have to consider his age by September. atleast 14 months
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by oliver003: 4:54am On Feb 06, 2016
mine normally started at 3yrs,nursery class and their performance is good.my philosophy is to ensure their start talking from home first.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by odion81(f): 6:23am On Feb 06, 2016
I think a year and 6months is the ideal age for a child to start school. At this stage the begins hands on activities that strengthens the finger muscles and prepares the child for writing. Also, he is taught potty training and learns to identify colours and objects
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by youngfocus(m): 6:33am On Feb 06, 2016
Start earning online it easy jst click on d link it does nt cost u anytin it ur time http://dollarson.xyz/index.php?ref=51416
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Adedoks(m): 6:46am On Feb 06, 2016
Am a young father n my child is just a month plus... So excited about him. Thanks Op for this thread Av leant some things. That boy is going to be the most mysterious man his generation will ever know.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Glo4issy(f): 7:14am On Feb 06, 2016
Etinosajay:

Hian...

Dat kind one fit finish high school @ 14years o
I finished secondary school at age 15
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Wowzer(m): 7:22am On Feb 06, 2016
Majority send their kids to nursery from 6months - before 3 years due to work reasons. Not solely for the child to learn because there is nothing spectacular they learn at that age which they can't learn at home other than social peering.

Some SAHM or WAHM care for their kids at home till 3 before starting nursery. Interacting with other kids or siblings in home setting. ( Social peering).

Some send their kids at early age from 6months - before 3yrs just because others are doing same. Regardless if they are SAHM/ WAHM/Working Class.

Early years are best spent bonding with kids in home setting rather than dumping them in nursery/ daycare or with child minder or strangers to prepare mentally and emotionally.

The most important factors for kids going into nursery is social peering and separation anxiety. Both can be achieved in home setting for most kids.

Parents don't need to rush their kids into school just because others are doing so. Spend time with your kids till age 3 when they will be ready and well prepared for learning mentally, socially and emotionally.

Most parents have sacrificed parental responsibility and early childhood parental bonding for modern day slavery.( All work and little pay).

For those who can afford it.... Adopt Hunnydropps Model or Approach. Saves You Money, Understand Your Child's Needs Mentally and Emotionally, Better Parental Bonding...

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Arcard(m): 9:41am On Feb 06, 2016
omo nawa na 3 yrs i tke enta oh, nur 3, pry 6, sec 12, com enta uni for 21 jamb una mama
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by omostar: 10:31am On Feb 06, 2016
Arcard:
omo nawa na 3 yrs i tke enta oh, nur 3, pry 6, sec 12, com enta uni for 21 jamb una mama

My daughter is three years and yet to start school but she knows all her letters(uppercase and lowercase) with their phonetic sounds, numbers, colours and several other things. I am about introducing some sight words to her now. Just like hunnydrops, I don't have a set schedule for teaching her. I teach her on the go. I think it is actually best to teach your kids at home till they themselves are hungry for school. I however understand some mothers don't have that opportunity even if they love to because of work.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Etinosajay(m): 11:03am On Feb 06, 2016
DoraCuzz:
4 months, 23 days, 15 hours and 46 seconds old

You didn't have to comment.

Are you up to 18 by the way?
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Mujtahida: 11:05am On Feb 06, 2016
First I am not yet a parent. I am single but I have some things to say on this very important subject. The thing is this:What is education? Is it the mere accumulation of facts? For a little child is it the ability to say A for Apple, B for Ball? What is intelligence? What is school and schooling? Do you want your child to be educated or you want them to be schooled. Do you know that each child is a unique embodiment of God's creative genius, a living soul, full of potential, a germ of great possibilities a rare gem entrusted to your care?

As a parent you should know that you are your child's first and greatest teacher. The reason is simple. No one knows or ought to know more about your child than you. No one loves or ought or can love your child like you. Go back and examine your life. Who were your best teachers? Let me guess. The ones that showed you love, the ones that singled you out and gave you personal attention. Right? How much more would it matter if your child can get in large doses what precious and treasured trickles of love you got from your own teachers. Presence is what we need for we are deeply incarnational beings. Man cannot thrive in a world devoid of life, love and light. That is why Johnny weeps when it's time to go to school. His emotional structure is not yet strong enough to bear the crushing weight of being separated from you. Sure he will adapt but what could be hidden from your eyes is the fright, the horror, the pain, the sense of uprootedness and confusion, the idea that he is not wanted! His inner world may be in frazzled for all you know. The Word must become flesh or man will die!

The great geniuses of the past were never harried off to school. A child is barely weaned from sucking his/her mothers paps and he/she is sent off to school to be schooled, to be meshed and even mashed up in the cold, abstract atmosphere of school. The child's personality and unique soul genius has not fully manifested and the lines of his character has not clearly been outlined and all the parents think of is sending the child to school because a) that is the popular and normative thing to do. b) parents want to shirk their responsibility or are even plainly ignorant that teaching their child/children is their responsibility not that of so called teachers.

Love, lots of love to build up and color the inner life of a child is what they need in their infancy and early years. A child needs to have a deep sense of security and confidence to flower and blossom. Confidence is foundational to knowledge. Watch nature and copy her:the great trees in the forest spend their first years sending down their roots. Why? The foundation matters! Read up on the genius of the Chinese bamboo and understand the wisdom at work therein. Take the Elephants for example. They are, like humans, one of the most intelligent and highly social animals. An Elephant spends between 5-10years with its mother before it is completely weaned depending on how quickly the next sibling is born. This prolonged period of dependency is vital for the calf. Or look at the Dolphin, another animal whose breadth of intelligence is simply stunning and prodigious. The Calves of Dolphins usually stay with their mothers for 3-6 years. During this time the calves must learn how to catch their prey, how to avoid dangers, and how to find their way within the home range. Why have I bothered to bring all this examples to your knowledge? It is because Animal wey dey for Bush get sense pass modern man! Yes modern man, because the Ancients were wiser and more in tune with nature than we moderns in our cold, denaturalized, commercial consumer oriented world where human souls, so precious, so valuable are regarded as products, as numbers, as things to be robotised, categorised, conglomerated, gutted and glutted in the soulless mass of crowd institutions!

As a parent seeking the best for your child, have you studied the child? Leonardo da Vinci, genius par excellence, famed painter of the Mona Lisa, botanist, aeronautical pioneer, hydrologist, humorist, sculptor,optician etc was first observed by his father when the first signs of his multifaceted personality began to bud. You parent have you spent time with your child? Have you created a loving, colorful, free atmosphere at home for your child?(and ohhhhhh don't tell me about money. Damn money! You are wealth! You. Yes you! All that is truly needed is you, your commonsense and heart). Laughter, play, dancing and discipline is much needed for emotional growth. Read to them, tell them stories. Sharpen their powers of observation, stir their curiosity. Social interaction. Don't wall them up inside the house. Tell them stories. Reduce TV time. Too much of it numbs their minds(do your research on the effects of TV on children) Speak positive words to them- Johnny you are the best, you are intelligent, you are strong, you will be a great man one day etc

I commend Hunnydropps. May more honey drop from your soul. You are a parent, a mother, a builder and sustainer of the race! Etinosajay, your child you say is smart abi? More than school, he needs love. He needs you! Have you guys forgotten how when we were kids we just loved being with our parents, how heavenly and soul enriching it felt? How magical and sweet it felt to be with them. How we used pine and wait for the shadows to fall and Papa would be home? How we used to hide behind objects and furniture to peep into their world, to hear them talk? Mama and Papa and us together-it was the sum of our dreams. Don't you guys remember how positively terrifiying the mere thought of being separated from our parents chilled our young hearts? What was the fear of Willy Willy in the presence of your father or mother? It simply vanished away. Oh the fraud of a civilization that would take parents especially mothers from this noble work, from this deeply challenging yet blessed work of nurturing their children all in the name of work, employment and money.Wowzer I salute you. MISSCONGENIALITY I doff my hat for you-be strong! Musicwriter you are the man.

Please I'd love for you guys to read up on Education, school etc. Go online. Do your research. Read the books by John Taylor Gatto especially the "Underground History of Education in America". Have you guys heard about alphaphonics method of teaching children to read? Do you guys know that our modern schooling methods are barely more than 200years old? How did men, solid men of the past get round this education thing?

We are in a hurry, too much in a hurry. 8months to creche? 1 year, 2years?haba! Wetin dem dey teach them. Not to talk of the expense and the emotional toll on the child. Anyway do what you feel is best for your child. I ain't in your shoes. I have no clue how it is with you.

My child/children will NEVER fail. They might fail your school Abc, 1,2,3 but when it comes to the substance of life, of courage, of resilience, of beauty, of real intelligence, of knowledge they will never fail. You know why? That category doesn't exist-not for my child/children. Go read up on Alexander the Great tutored by the great Aristotle but taught by his mother who told him he was a god! Yes. He knew no defeat. He never lost a single battle. The only battle he lost was the one he never fought! Read up on the impressive Suzannah Wesley, mother of Charles and John Wesley who taught her brood of children herself(read her bio-info on Wikipedia). What of Thomas Edison? what of Napoleon Buonaparte in whose life the dominating influence was his mother Letizia.
Don't be thoughtless, don't do things because that is the done thing. Let's be bold. Bottom line - Love your child!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Etinosajay(m): 11:08am On Feb 06, 2016
Adedoks:
Am a young father n my child is just a month plus... So excited about him. Thanks Op for this thread Av leant some things. That boy is going to be the most mysterious man his generation will ever know.

Yea. It's best to consciously plan for these kids. We owe them that.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 11:33am On Feb 06, 2016
Mujtahida:
First I am not yet a parent. I am single but I have some things to say on this very important subject. The thing is this:What is education? Is it the mere accumulation of facts? For a little child is it the ability to say A for Apple, B for Ball? What is intelligence? What is school and schooling? Do you want your child to be educated or you want them to be schooled. Do you know that each child is a unique embodiment of God's creative genius, a living soul, full of potential, a germ of great possibilities a rare gem entrusted to your care?

As a parent you should know that you are your child's first and greatest teacher. The reason is simple. No one knows or ought to know more about your child than you. No one loves or ought or can love your child like you. Go back and examine your life. Who were your best teachers? Let me guess. The ones that showed you love, the ones that singled you out and gave you personal attention. Right? How much more would it matter if your child can get in large doses what precious and treasured trickles of love you got from your own teachers. Presence is what we need for we are deeply incarnational beings. Man cannot thrive in a world devoid of life, love and light. That is why Johnny weeps when it's time to go to school. His emotional structure is not yet strong enough to bear the crushing weight of being separated from you. Sure he will adapt but what could be hidden from your eyes is the fright, the horror, the pain, the sense of uprootedness and confusion, the idea that he is not wanted! His inner world may be in frazzled for all you know. The Word must become flesh or man will die!

The great geniuses of the past were never harried off to school. A child is barely weaned from sucking his/her mothers paps and he/she is sent off to school to be schooled, to be meshed and even mashed up in the cold, abstract atmosphere of school. The child's personality and unique soul genius has not fully manifested and the lines of his character has not clearly been outlined and all the parents think of is sending the child to school because a) that is the popular and normative thing to do. b) parents want to shirk their responsibility or are even plainly ignorant that teaching their child/children is their responsibility not that of so called teachers.

Love, lots of love to build up and color the inner life of a child is what they need in their infancy and early years. A child needs to have a deep sense of security and confidence to flower and blossom. Confidence is foundational to knowledge. Watch nature and copy her:the great trees in the forest spend their first years sending down their roots. Why? The foundation matters! Read up on the genius of the Chinese bamboo and understand the wisdom at work therein. Take the Elephants for example. They are, like humans, one of the most intelligent and highly social animals. An Elephant spends between 5-10years with its mother before it is completely weaned depending on how quickly the next sibling is born. This prolonged period of dependency is vital for the calf. Or look at the Dolphin, another animal whose breadth of intelligence is simply stunning and prodigious. The Calves of Dolphins usually stay with their mothers for 3-6 years. During this time the calves must learn how to catch their prey, how to avoid dangers, and how to find their way within the home range. Why have I bothered to bring all this examples to your knowledge? It is because Animal wey dey for Bush get sense pass modern man! Yes modern man, because the Ancients were wiser and more in tune with nature than we moderns in our cold, denaturalized, commercial consumer oriented world where human souls, so precious, so valuable are regarded as products, as numbers, as things to be robotised, categorised, conglomerated, gutted and glutted in the soulless mass of crowd institutions!

As a parent seeking the best for your child, have you studied the child? Leonardo da Vinci, genius par excellence, famed painter of the Mona Lisa, botanist, aeronautical pioneer, hydrologist, humorist, sculptor,optician etc was first observed by his father when the first signs of his multifaceted personality began to bud. You parent have you spent time with your child? Have you created a loving, colorful, free atmosphere at home for your child?(and ohhhhhh don't tell me about money. Damn money! You are wealth! You. Yes you! All that is truly needed is you, your commonsense and heart). Laughter, play, dancing and discipline is much needed for emotional growth. Read to them, tell them stories. Sharpen their powers of observation, stir their curiosity. Social interaction. Don't wall them up inside the house. Tell them stories. Reduce TV time. Too much of it numbs their minds(do your research on the effects of TV on children) Speak positive words to them- Johnny you are the best, you are intelligent, you are strong, you will be a great man one day etc

I commend Hunnydropps. May more honey drop from your soul. You are a parent, a mother, a builder and sustainer of the race! Etinosajay, your child you say is smart abi? More than school, he needs love. He needs you! Have you guys forgotten how when we were kids we just loved being with our parents, how heavenly and soul enriching it felt? How magical and sweet it felt to be with them. How we used pine and wait for the shadows to fall and Papa would be home? How we used to hide behind objects and furniture to peep into their world, to hear them talk? Mama and Papa and us together-it was the sum of our dreams. Don't you guys remember how positively terrifiying the mere thought of being separated from our parents chilled our young hearts? What was the fear of Willy Willy in the presence of your father or mother? It simply vanished away. Oh the fraud of a civilization that would take parents especially mothers from this noble work, from this deeply challenging yet blessed work of nurturing their children all in the name of work, employment and money.Wowzer I salute you. MISSCONGENIALITY I doff my hat for you-be strong! Musicwriter you are the man.

Please I'd love for you guys to read up on Education, school etc. Go online. Do your research. Read the books by John Taylor Gatto especially the "Underground History of Education in America". Have you guys heard about alphaphonics method of teaching children to read? Do you guys know that our modern schooling methods are barely more than 200years old? How did men, solid men of the past get round this education thing?

We are in a hurry, too much in a hurry. 8months to creche? 1 year, 2years?haba! Wetin dem dey teach them. Not to talk of the expense and the emotional toll on the child. Anyway do what you feel is best for your child. I ain't in your shoes. I have no clue how it is with you.

My child/children will NEVER fail. They might fail your school Abc, 1,2,3 but when it comes to the substance of life, of courage, of resilience, of beauty, of real intelligence, of knowledge they will never fail. You know why? That category doesn't exist-not for my child/children. Go read up on Alexander the Great tutored by the great Aristotle but taught by his mother who told him he was a god! Yes. He knew no defeat. He never lost a single battle. The only battle he lost was the one he never fought! Read up on the impressive Suzannah Wesley, mother of Charles and John Wesley who taught her brood of children herself(read her bio-info on Wikipedia). What of Thomas Edison? what of Napoleon Buonaparte in whose life the dominating influence was his mother Letizia.
Don't be thoughtless, don't do things because that is the done thing. Let's be bold. Bottom line - Love your child!

A very beautiful write up.
I tell u if parents follow what u have recomended, u won't see people here who come to tell us that they can't bear staying with their parents again. Children are sent off to school so early that when they finally finish and begin to spend most time at home, they find it hard to understand their parents or be understood by their parents.
U just hit the nail on the head

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 06, 2016
grin Im so happy to see so many parents/future parents in agreement about keeping our little ones home and training them ourselves longer than many people do today.

@omostar, I'm loving the fact that you're adding sight words to your routine. It sounds like you've been doing a terrific job...keep it up. Have you incorporated writing of letters and numbers yet? Do you have any pointers to share that may help other parents doing this or that may be considering it?

And omostar...you're very right about some not having the opportunity to stay home due to work. I applaude them too for providing a place to learn while they're working. For these parents, supplementing the school curriculum with additional info works too. Fit it in wherever you can...possibly after school or on weekends when things arent as busy at home.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
@Mujtahida...well said...well said!!! Your future children are blessed that you're full of passion for their well rounded development.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
MISSCONGENIALITY:
A very beautiful write up.
I tell u if parents follow what u have recomended, u won't see people here who come to tell us that they can't bear staying with their parents again. Children are sent off to school so early that when they finally finish and begin to spend most time at home, they find it hard to understand their parents or be understood by their parents.
U just hit the nail on the head

So true. There is a big disconnect between parents & children nowadays. Yet there is hope and the convo going on here is a good way to spread the word and win our children back from the negative influences in the world today.

I'm glad to say that everyone on the thread has been nice, respectful, and helpful...usually by now we have someone beefing. Look how beautiful and informative NL convo can be...its really warmed my heart.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by omostar: 3:24pm On Feb 06, 2016
Hunnydropps:
grin Im so happy to see so many parents/future parents in agreement about keeping our little ones home and training them ourselves longer than many people do today.

@omostar, I'm loving the fact that you're adding sight words to your routine. It sounds like you've been doing a terrific job...keep it up. Have you incorporated writing of letters and numbers yet? Do you have any pointers to share that may help other parents doing this or that may be considering it?

And omostar...you're very right about some not having the opportunity to stay home due to work. I applaude them too for providing a place to learn while they're working. For these parents, supplementing the school curriculum with additional info works too. Fit it in wherever you can...possibly after school or on weekends when things arent as busy at home.

I just let her scribble whatever she wants mainly for now, although I try to make her write 1s and zeros if she is interested. And she will be the one to say :I want to write " most of the time. Basically, I simply just let move at her own pace. I have discovered that they will pick things up faster when you are not too pushful with them. I do play some educational videos for her to watch when I am very busy, but we practice with everything in the house.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by silverr(f): 3:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
musicwriter:
If I have children they'll not go to school, but they'll be the most educated among their peers. I'll school them myself. Nobody will brainwash my children.

Well, if their mother insist they go to school, that would be after I've tutored them to secondary school. By then they would be able to differentiate between what is chaff and real education.

Just this evening I was in a bookshop sifting to buy a book, and I saw this book with nice caption and flipped the pages randomly (as I usually do) soon I saw a line saying "Fidel Castro initiated steps to colonize Congo". I immediately dropped the book cause I knew then it must be a book espousing American view of history of Africa instead of doing an unbiased job. You begin to wonder how many people that have read that book thinking it's a true historical account.

A million hugs for you. May it be well with you. You will never regret the sacrifice.

After nearly being initiated into cultism as an informant at a very early age by my teachers, I have decided to hustle now, set up assets cus once I start having kids, I'll become a full time housewife and homeschool all my kids.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by osenidvdg(m): 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2016
After 1yr birthday the following september nothing will stop me from registering him in a school close to my house so as to complete his primary school and put him in hostel after both formal and informal training he would have received from school,home and church.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 06, 2016
omostar:

I just let her scribble whatever she wants mainly for now, although I try to make her write 1s and zeros if she is interested. And she will be the one to say :I want to write " most of the time. Basically, I simply just let move at her own pace. I have discovered that they will pick things up faster when you are not too pushful with them. I do play some educational videos for her to watch when I am very busy, but we practice with everything in the house.

Awsome!
I love it when kids scribble like that bc I suspect in there own minds they are writing something important to them. I would always wonder what they were thinking. Lol

Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Souljaboi1: 3:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hunnydropps:

A couple things helped me be able to take this approach. The biggest factor was that their father had a decent income that allowed me to remain home. Actually teaching them at home was more economical because the cost of daycare would have eaten most if not all of the income I would've made.

So to bring in a little income I did babysitting for friends and neighbors at a very reasonable price. It not only help the household finances but gave my girls other toddlers to interact with and I would teach all the children together. I was sure to never have more than 2 children to babysit any given day so that I have plenty time to work with the kids. As far as keeping house and shopping, etc. I just involved the kids in everything. If I was cooking for instance I would turn it into a learning activity...like talking about say chickens....how they grow, that they lay eggs, etc.
We would talk about the heat used to cook food, count beans, point out colors of clothing during washing time.

I made EVERYTHING an opportunity to teach...explained how, why, when we do things. People were surprised how I was ALWAYS with the children and able to upkeep the home at the same time while educating them. Even my sister was perplexed at how I did it.

Finding a source of creating income that didn't take me out of the home (which for me also solved the issue of allowing my kids to properly socialize with agemates), setting a little amount of time to sit & teach them like they do in school, and then doing continuous teaching by incorporating the kids in all my activities were the keys for me. The other great thing that resulted from my approach was that the girls had an amazing vocabulary due to all the communication we had.

I wouldn't exchange those early years with them even if I was a millionaire that could've afforded to pay for those first years of schooling. Even though it was a 24/7 undertaking it gave me the most precious memories. I even hope to do this for my grandchildren one day.

Saving this for my future wifey In shaa Allaah. smiley

Aunty Dyt, care to apply ? cheesy cheesy grin wink
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Souljaboi1: 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2016
Mujtahida:

BaarakaLLaahu laki feeh !

Makes me remember a lecture on Homeschooling by Abu Naasir Ibrahim bn Abdur-Rauf.
Re: What Is The Appropriate Age To Register A Child In School? by Dyt(f): 4:15pm On Feb 08, 2016
Souljaboi1:

Saving this for my future wifey In shaa Allaah. smiley

Aunty Dyt, care to apply ? cheesy cheesy grin wink

Are you rich? *crazily rich*
Are you tall?
Slim?
Bald?
Left handed?
Do you stutter?
Blue eyes?
And are you 40 and above?

If you meet at least 80% of these criterias then I will go to the second phase of you being caring, loving, accommodating and a fantastic sense of humour. Not ending there, I have dependants
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? / How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Disavantages Of Marrying Someone Who Have A Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.