Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps (10753 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. / How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 12:55pm On Feb 03, 2016
1) Try to get on level ground. Put your seat belt on once you get in. While learning, it's better to roll down the windows. This helps to better hear the engine sound and adjust the gear changes accordingly.
The one on the far left is the clutch , the middle one is the brake, and then the gas/accelerator is on the far right (CBA). This layout is the same for both left hand drive and right hand drive vehicles.

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 12:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
2) Learn what the clutch does:
The clutch disengages the spinning engine from the spinning wheels and allows you to switch gears without grinding the teeth of each separate gear.

Before you switch gears (moving up or down), the clutch must be depressed.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 12:59pm On Feb 03, 2016
3) Adjust the seat position forward enough to allow you to press the clutch pedal (the left pedal, next to the brake pedal) fully to the floor with your left foot.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
4) Press the clutch pedal and hold it to the floor. This would also be a good time to take note of how the travel of the clutch pedal differs from that of the brake and gas, and it is a good idea to get used to slowly and steadily releasing the clutch pedal.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:01pm On Feb 03, 2016
5) Move the gear shift knob to neutral. This is the middle position that feels free when moved from side to side. The vehicle is considered out of gear when:
the gear shift is in the neutral position, or
the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
6) Start the engine with the key, making sure to keep the clutch pedal held to the floor.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:05pm On Feb 03, 2016
7) Once the engine is started, you can remove your foot from the clutch pedal (as long as it is in neutral).

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
8. Press the clutch to the floor again and move the gear shift knob to first gear. It should be the upper left position, and there should be some kind of visual layout of the gear pattern on top of the gear shift knob.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:07pm On Feb 03, 2016
9) Slowly lift your foot up from the clutch pedal until you hear the engine speed begin to drop, then push it back in. Repeat this several times until you can instantly recognize the sound. This is the friction point.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
10) In order to get moving, lift your foot up from the clutch pedal until the RPMs (revs) drop slightly and apply light pressure to the accelerator (GAS). Balance the light downward pressure on the accelerator with slowly releasing pressure on the clutch pedal. You will probably have to do this several times to find the right combination of pressure up and down. Another way of doing it is to release the clutch until the moment during which the engine revs down a little and then applying pressure on the accelerator as the clutch engages. At this point the car will start to move. It is best to have the engine rev just enough to prevent stalling as the clutch pedal is let up. This process may be a little difficult at first because you are new to the 3 pedals in manual. Always be ready to pull the hand brake to stop in emergency till you have learned.
If you release the clutch too quickly the car will stall. If the engine sounds like it is going to stall, then hold the clutch where it is or even push it further in slightly. Excessive engine speed while the clutch is between fully up and fully depressed will wear out the clutch parts prematurely resulting in slippage or smoking of the clutch parts at the transmission.

2 Likes

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
11) When driving, when your RPM reaches about 2500 to 3000, it is time to shift into second gear. Remember though that it depends fully on the car you are driving what RPM the tachometer will reach before you must change gear. Your engine will begin to race and speed up, and you must learn to recognize this noise. Apply pressure downward on the clutch pedal and guide the gear shift knob straight down from 1st gear into the bottom left position.
Some cars have a "Shift Light" or indications on the speedometer that will tell you when you need to shift so you don't rev the engine too fast.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:11pm On Feb 03, 2016
12) Push down on the gas very slightly and slowly release the clutch pedal.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
13) Once in gear and on the gas you should completely remove your foot from the clutch pedal. Resting your foot on the clutch pedal is a bad habit, and applies pressure to the clutch mechanism — the increased pressure could allow the clutch to wear prematurely.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
14) When you have to stop, release right foot off accelerator to the brake pedal and press down as much as required and as you slow to about 10 mph (16 km/h) you will feel the car about to start shaking and vibrating. Press the clutch pedal fully down and move the gear shift to neutral to prevent stalling.

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by AutosBay(m): 1:16pm On Feb 03, 2016
15) Once you have mastered it, driving a manual is fun. You now can rev the engine in any gear for a sportier feel or for a greener pace choose to shift gears at lower rpms

http://m.wikihow.com/Drive-Manual

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by colossus2: 1:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Nice one. Number 10 is the key.
Hardest part for a learner. You go shout tire cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:38pm On Feb 03, 2016
autosbay when you have time, please create "How to fly a plane" grin

12 Likes

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by rockiedink(m): 6:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
autosbay when you have time, please create "How to fly a plane" grin

Very true jare broda mi!

I happen to have an old use Gulfstream IV lying around in my backyard... grin

Autosbay well done o jare. Hopefully some people won't start a thread on how to drive manual now...
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by lonelyisland(m): 12:27am On Feb 04, 2016
Easy on writing, hard in reality
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by cmoney22222: 7:31am On Feb 04, 2016
Its AUTOBAY again. Nice one. Still hoping to learn this manual for drifting only.
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by surrogatesng: 11:16am On Feb 04, 2016
very nice post
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by udemzyudex(m): 11:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
When the car is in motion and the learner forget to press the clutch before changing gear what will happen?
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by lonelyisland(m): 11:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
udemzyudex:
When the car is in motion and the learner forget to press the clutch before changing gear what will happen?
If you don't press down the clutch to the last and wants to change gear, the gear wouldn't move talk more of changing
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by udemzyudex(m): 5:04am On Feb 06, 2016
lonelyisland:

If you don't press down the clutch to the last and wants to change gear, the gear wouldn't move talk more of changing

I use to think the car will fly, or sumasult?
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by Nobody: 5:51am On Feb 06, 2016
lonelyisland:

Not strictly true.

It IS possible to select a gear WITHOUT depressing the clutch, if you time lifting your right foot off the gas pedal correctly. It's called "clutchless gear change" or "rev matching". Not recommended though, especially whilst still learning.
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:31am On Feb 06, 2016
Siena:

Not strictly true.

It IS possible to select a gear WITHOUT depressing the clutch, if you time lifting your right foot off the gas pedal correctly. It's called "clutchless gear change" or "rev matching". Not recommended though, especially whilst still learning.

I learnt it the hard way on a long trip, abuja to lagos, clutch failed on a sunday and the clutch port (peugeot 406 V6) was very scarce then, this method took me all the way to lagos without damaging the clutch plate or disk.
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by phibetakappa: 3:09pm On Mar 05, 2016
I can drive on a normal road perfectly but I normally quench the engine when in a slow moving traffic on a slope. I need to perfect my half clutch thing.

1 Like

Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by phibetakappa: 3:12pm On Mar 05, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I learnt it the hard way on a long trip, abuja to lagos, clutch failed on a sunday and the clutch port (peugeot 406 V6) was very scarce then, this method took me all the way to lagos without damaging the clutch plate or disk.
In that case how easy was it moving the car from rest. Because I think without a working clutch you can't easily move a car from rest.
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:11pm On Mar 05, 2016
phibetakappa:

In that case how easy was it moving the car from rest. Because I think without a working clutch you can't easily move a car from rest.

put the car in first or 2nd gear and crank wink
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by alatbaba1(m): 8:12am On Mar 06, 2016
Cranking a car on gear 2 without d clutch is nt smooth. Too mch of vibration and d car migth go out of control. I guess d road most be free from any obstacle
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by alatbaba1(m): 8:15am On Mar 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

put the car in first or 2nd gear and crank wink
alatbaba1:
Cranking a car on gear 2 without d clutch is nt smooth. Too mch of vibration and d car migth go out of control. I guess d road most be free from any obstacle
Re: Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:41am On Mar 06, 2016
alatbaba1:

driving without a clutch is not for fun, it's a last resort to moving to a safe place where vehicle can be fixed instead of towing or having to fix on the highway.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Simple Car Safety Checks You Should Know How To Do / NEW PLATE NUMBER.. How Much Did You Pay For It? / Tell Us About Your First Car Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.