Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (38302 Views)

Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife / Dangote Refinery: Graduate Trainees Vow To End Fuel Scarcity / Dangote Oil Refinery: Graduate Engineer Trainees Return After Overseas Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by kaybams1(m): 10:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
makavel7:

If the goat is a CFA then ill understand where his problem really reside. Tune to CNBC every morning and watch these CFA's run there mouths. they pretend to know how the financial markets work but are a bunch of contrary indicators. There's a joke in financial circles that, if you want to make a ton of money, do the exact opposite of what a CFA prescribes

I mean this guy is just overbearing. Every of his threads tortures his readers of stale gists of his first class and all that crap. I left school with the best result then, yet i have never for one day thought am more intelligent than my colleagues. I still learn everyday. But then, will i blame him? i blame the lopsided educational sector that gives charlatans like this large mouths to flaunt their mediocrity on social media.

10 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Feb 03, 2016
Tinu02:
I read all the comment and I couldn't do anything but shake my head. I think the trainee are even lucky to be ask such question but its pure elementary math even a ten year old can solve it even under tension.
If you can't solve simple arithmetic under tension is it complex arithmetic u will now solve this are Graduate for crying out loud. But the Op should have engage them in discussion after seeing the result.
Don't come for me.

See her mouth like eyementary mass! When you check their WAEC result na F9 full am oh

9 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Akious2k2(m): 10:11pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
lols...I will ensure I avoid such task next time. Seeing people staring at me trying to impress me makes me uncomfortable....lol...and then they are giving you this rehearsed look. I feel it's time wastage. I will prefer the Hr ends all recruitment processes at their end....As much as organisations believe in Team work, I find it uncomfortable.
I don't c anything wrong with what u did @OP, I don't think any Graduate shld find dat question difficult anyway
brunofarad:
So u want these poor kids to help u find ur lost €
By dashing Their hopes at the 11th hour

Oya you what's the value of

i2 under complex number realm

Solve within 90seconds

Over sabi
U sound (Write) like an Engineer... Ur ansa is "-1", anyway

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
Tinu02:
I read all the comment and I couldn't do anything but shake my head. I think the trainee are even lucky to be ask such question but its pure elementary math even a ten year old can solve it even under tension.
If you can't solve simple arithmetic under tension is it complex arithmetic u will now solve this are Graduate for crying out loud. But the Op should have engage them in discussion after seeing the result.
Don't come for me.

See her bum shorts mouth like eyementary mass! When you check their WAEC result, na F9 full am oh sad

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:14pm On Feb 03, 2016
Urine:

Calm down mate, I'm not a recruiter myself, I'm a Software Developer, that's what I was trained to do but one of the responsibilities of functioning at this level is that I must be involved in the recruitment of Junior Devs, same task your Senior Partner gave you. Unfortunately your actions are adequate enough to earn a rating, you have work to do Marxxx lad.
lols...I will ensure I avoid such task next time. Seeing people staring at me trying to impress me makes me uncomfortable....lol...and then they are giving you this rehearsed look. I feel it's time wastage. I will prefer the Hr ends all recruitment processes at their end....As much as organisations believe in Team work, I find it uncomfortable.
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by lomprico(m): 10:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
guy! wetin b d answer?
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by 2rez: 10:18pm On Feb 03, 2016
E383:

If you were judged based on what you didn't know at every point you sought to have a job will you be in a position to make someone who had worked hard, bagged a good degree, excellent performance at the initial stage of the recruitment, finally get HR recommendation only to be asked to solve a silly mathematical problem which has no bearing whatsoever on performance look stupid because you were confused and didn't know how to do a simple delegated task.

You need to call HR and apologize for doing something as silly as that.

I owe you no apology.

As for you cretin, you better don't quote me ever again in this your miserable life.

Oaf
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by 6fit(f): 10:20pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I am very sure if I had given them a simple comprehension test people like you will complain. Where did I state that I am in Hr unit let alone a recruiter? That is the problem you have with people seek understanding before you type. And if you read properly you will see where I typed first class is as common as clay around here. What does that tell you?

forget gist jare..... I know yur type
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by 2rez: 10:28pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
that is a problem; when you start replying quotes sometimes you just go astray while trying to prove a point

That's so not untrue. U just reply those that are well mannered & cultured. Take it easy bruh. I feel u.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Folarinibrahim1(m): 10:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This was the simple problem I wrote on the board.

€/€ - €/6 = €/12......what is the value of €?

So I am asking you, how good are you with basic reasoning?
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
kaybams1:

I mean this guy is just overbearing. Every of his threads tortures his readers of stale gists of his first class and all that crap. I left school with the best result then, yet i have never for one day thought am more intelligent than my colleagues. I still learn everyday. But then, will i blame him? i blame the lopsided educational sector that gives charlatans like this large mouths to flaunt their mediocrity on social media.
well I have heard worse. But the truth is are you saying my method of testing was wrong? Or you are much interested in a previous thread? See I have seen people who are worth emulating and people say worst things about them. If you come out to say my method of testing was wrong you have made a point. Where did I mention my grade in the first post? I perceive you to be intelligent but don't get too emotional with things. Everyone learns everyday. I have learned today too from some posters who said "I should have given them another task"......Now they criticise and they recommend that is how smart people roll dude. "Overbearing", "Lopsided", "Chartalan".....you have not made any point

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by vinmayo(m): 10:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
All I see is challenge to make me better.
I have a request though.
@Marxx could you please be my mentor. I believe I have a lot to learn from you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Tacticalmind: 10:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx , I couldn't careless if you don't confirm any of them. Stuffs like this happen everytime in the industry and for sure, if I were your boss and you confirm anyone that later messes up, I'll surely put the blame on you. Candidates get disqaulified at job interviews for doing something as small as eating two apples. We've redrawn employments from guys for talking too much, even while in their hotel rooms after work. So, I, personally don't care the methods you employed in testing whatever the aspect of their intelligence you're testing. However, what I care about is your arrogance and attitude. If you work in my department, I would sack you for your attitude, even if you're the best I've got. And I'll always give you a bad reference or correspondence as the case maybe. Working is not just about your efficiency in working alone, it has a lot to do with how you work with your team and from what you've said here, you're obviously not a team player. Those that you work for, if they're really professionals, would have sacked you. Or, they're just tolerating you.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Akious2k2(m): 10:33pm On Feb 03, 2016
Folarinibrahim1:
Oga... How far nah? 2 bawo? Calculate again abeg... afterall pple don calculate b/4... U can fit 2 check there workings & answer
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:37pm On Feb 03, 2016
2rez:

That's so not untrue. U just reply those that are well mannered & cultured. Take it easy bruh. I feel u.
Thanks dearest. Wow I was just waiting to see if I could get at least two people with a differing opinion and you just made my night. To be frank my method of testing may not have been the best but I was expecting sound criticism. Everyone was just too emotional raining abuses and all that. I learned today too from a smart dude who said I should have given them another task and I agree with him. Although I can't do much now but I have learned to carry out such task more intelligently.....do have a splendid night rest...

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
This is very interesting
Recruitment surely has a long way to go in some sectors
First you kept applicants waiting for a minimum of 1,5 hours then you asked them questions they were not prepared for.
Can you imagine the amount of stress they were under during the wait?
In some places, you will be looking at a lawsuit.

Your company also seems very disorganised.
I wouldn't want to work for such a company & I certainly wouldn't want to work for you.
Also as a team leader you should by now be attending/attended management/leadership courses.
Today you failed as badly as these applicants.

Thirdly, the method you chose, due to your own personal inadequacies and lack of training wasn't the best way to make a decision
You should have engaged them and worked out how best they fit your team bearing in mind they will be working for you & they have already been through a rigorous recruitment exercise.
One single person can tip the balance of a team and the most knowledgable person may not be the best person for the team/job

Hopefully that girl with a first from Reading will not let the side down and she will give you a run for your money and show you how its done.....

5 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:41pm On Feb 03, 2016
Alright dudes the answer is 4.......In the actual question, I did not use the Euro sign, I used the love symbol.....perhaps that got them confused nevertheless I learned a lot from you guys....expect any thing as long as you are in a recruitment process. God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Dahveydson(m): 10:48pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Alright dudes the answer is 4.......In the actual question, I did not use the Euro sign, I used the love symbol.....perhaps that got them confused nevertheless I learned a lot from you guys....expect any thing as long as you are in a recruitment process. God bless you all.

May God help you before its too late. God bless.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Marxxx: 10:49pm On Feb 03, 2016
tearoses:
This is very interesting
First you kept applicants waiting for a minimum of 1,5 hours then you asked them questions they were not prepared for.

I wouldn't want to work for such a company & I certainly wouldn't want to work for you.
Also as a team leader you should by now be attending/attended management/leadership courses.

Thirdly, the method you chose, due to your own personal inadequacies and training wasn't the best way to make a decision
You should have engaged them and worked out how best they fit your team bearing in mind they will be working for you & they have already been through a rigorous recruitment exercise.
One single person can tip the balance of a team and the most knowledgable person may not be the best person for the team/job

Hopefully that girl with a first from Reading will not let the side down and she will give you a run for your money and show you how its done.....
Your criticism is not that bad. I agree my method of testing wasn't the best. All the same, here you are trained to be independent. For the records...I have not seen or heard anyone who got an offer from the firm and rejected it so if you say they are disorganised well......unless you work with Mckinsey and some other intl firms...getting an offer here is a blessing from God.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Tinu02(f): 10:53pm On Feb 03, 2016
makavel7:

See her bum shorts mouth like eyementary mass! When you check their WAEC result, na F9 full am oh sad
I had B3 in futher math FYI I didn't attend miracle center cos I guess that's y u had to result to abuse. You are weak man.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by olu4life(m): 10:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
tearoses:
This is very interesting

Thirdly, the method you chose, due to your own personal inadequacies and lack of training wasn't the best way to make a decision

Gbam >:
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by dejavuh0007(m): 10:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
Op u mst b senile for doing dat.
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
well I have heard worse. But the truth is are you saying my method of testing was wrong? Or you are much interested in a previous thread? See I have seen people who are worth emulating and people say worst things about them. If you come out to say my method of testing was wrong you have made a point. Where did I mention my grade in the first post? I perceive you to be intelligent but don't get too emotional with things. Everyone learns everyday. I have learned today too from some posters who said "I should have given them another task"......Now they criticise and they recommend that is how smart people roll dude. "Overbearing", "Lopsided", "Chartalan".....you have not made any point
... dear op.. . Please if there is anyway you can give these guys some test/assignment to test their abilities again.. . I beg of you... Please do... .

Education is never and would not be the test of true knowledge... Quote me anywere.. .. I AM A CERTIFIED ACCOUNTANT... on the move of becoming a CHARTTERD ACCOUNTANT... That question you posted up there I had no idea of it whatsoever.. .. But hey... Don't judge me base on that simple question I couldn't solve.... often times the simplest can be the hardest. .. vise versa.. .. I will still say this... That the company that will employ me will never regret it... Cos I have got a lot to offer... but you testing me with such easy arithmetic or whatever you call this.. . And I couldn't make a thing out it and you decided to trash land me after coming this far??. .. . I will just shake my head @you and move on with my life...
Please if u can give them something different from this.. Please do... And reconfirm them...
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Your criticism is not that bad. I agree my method of testing wasn't the best. All the same, here you are trained to be independent. For the records...I have not seen or heard anyone who got an offer from the firm and rejected it so if you say they are disorganised well......unless you work with Mckinsey and some other intl firms...getting an offer here is a blessing from God.

You don't get offers rejected not because the company is all that, but because job seekers don't have a choice so they take any/everything that is thrown at them.

You don't have all the blame though; your company placed you in a difficult position and In a way you are a victim too.
Your boss should have briefed you on what he needed you to do before he left or at least contacted you whilst he was away to warn you in advance of today's visit.
He is still officially at work, so she should still be contactable and HR too should have been very clear on their expectations and guided you through.

Hopefully its a lesson all round and you should be requesting to attend a suitable course to help you respond to these kinds of situations better in the future.

The truth is that the best performing individuals work for the most flexible and people oriented companies.
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Fkforyou(m): 11:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
cutetopsey:
€ is 4.

Question
€/€ - €/6 = €/12.

Solution

€/€ = €/12+€/6

€/€= €+2€/12

€/€= 3€/12

Cross multiply

12€= 3€^2

Divide both sides by €

12€/€= 3€^2/€

12= 3€

Make € the subject of the formulae

€= 12/3

€=4

Ans = 4

BTW, check my signature on how to get rid excess tummy fats

All this one superstory.....no offence,....lol.
Just factorise, € out and cancel both sides i.e
,€ (1/€-1/6)=€/12
and you'll be left with;
1/€-1/6= 1/12.

collect like terms i.e
1/€= 1/6+1/12,

making

1/€=3/12=1/4

reciprocate bothsides and €=4.
They were tensed I guess, if not they would have probably done it in less than 60secs.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by oluwanoni: 11:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
@op, you where told to confirm them, that's what u needed to have done, the recruitment process as been done already.

You forgot to add the resources that ur coy as spent in the recruitment process.

But u didn't try ooo, and you decided to open a trend on it not knowing it would backfire, Similar trends have been opened but those interviews were justified for not employing the graduates.....

Your attitude determines your Altitude

4 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:

At first, I didn't see any need to question or condemn your decision or method after reading your opening post, I mean all sorts of criteria has been used by recruiters including the type, anything is permissible in the Nigerian job market, the system begs for it.

I smiled and had wanted to move on and close the tab, what actually brought me back was the vigour with which you've been quoting and replying almost every single comment, I had to sit back and read every single comment, and had to dig around your profile too, not much.

After reading your comments and your other post, I'm compelled to tell you to watch where you are heading, try not to excel in your work place and fail in your life. You need to know the value of things not just numbers and you need to see life beyond your 1.1 and analytical skills, in the end those matter very little.

10 Likes

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by 2rez: 11:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
Thanks dearest. Wow I was just waiting to see if I could get at least two people with a differing opinion and you just made my night. To be frank my method of testing may not have been the best but I was expecting sound criticism. Everyone was just too emotional raining abuses and all that. I learned today too from a smart dude who said I should have given them another task and I agree with him. Although I can't do much now but I have learned to carry out such task more intelligently.....do have a splendid night rest...

U welcome. I just want u to know that on here, replying some fella's quotes will result into endless altercation & unfortunately, u will be @ the regrettable end. However, the best bet is to ignore those quotes. Some quotes are kinda like from devil's mansion u know. Before u say Jack Robinson, u've been bashed with cusswords. Of course u know what am saying. Likes of those quotes are clearly spelt out on ur post. They will get u embittered till u are filled with so much of a rage & then u start inveighing one another with unfriendly words & end up saying what u aint suppose say which is practically uncalled for. Kids are on the loose lately on here so cultivating matured habit is the best. Meaning, u overlook annoying & unmannered quotes. It works like magic. I understand u kinda feel remorseful about ur method of testing, worry not oh k. It will soon become a bygone.What will be will be & moreover, we aint perfect. We make mistakes. That makes us humans. Acknowledging the fact that we make mistakes & accepting correction makes us a complete human being just as u've done(maturity). May God strengthen ur intelligence in all u do. So mister Marxxx, do have urself a copacetic grin night.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by ocheejemb: 11:16pm On Feb 03, 2016
Well to be fair to the OP that was a very simple problem and anyone with basic maths skills should be able to solve it in a few seconds.

That being said. Maybe the grads were confused and assumed this was some sort of trick question. Additionally I have never seen a ♡ symbol used as a variable before so maybe that threw them off guard.

It is a bizarre story on both sides. To loose a job opportunity because of a single simple algebra equation is tragic and ridiculous at the same time. It certainly wasn't a good test by any means.
Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by abbey621(m): 11:21pm On Feb 03, 2016
bezimo:

I graduated in 2010, though have an engineering background. I got that question in about 30 seconds.If I was among those candidates I am sure I would have gotten that job with the slightest of effort. While I agree with you about the mostly used method for assessing candidates for job opportunities, it would again depend on the nature of Job, if the job requires a lot of thinking on the feet and calculations to make decisions, it wouldnt be out of place to ask such kind of questions that the Op asked to the 5 candidates.I am of the belief than an interview process should not be restricted to an expected certain type of questions.

You are assuming the positions they applied for relates to engineering or has a mathematical component. Even at that, choosing a candidate because they can solve one arithmetic question shows that the hiring process is fundamentally flawed.

1 Like

Re: Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. by klassd(m): 11:25pm On Feb 03, 2016
Marxxx:
I received a call from the Hr unit that they are sending 5 Trainees to me for confirmation. I was surprised because they didn't give me a prior notice. When I Queried the lady from the Hr unit she said the Senior Partner (HOD) contacted them that he will travelling to the UK that I can go ahead with the confirmation.

I was a bit nervous because I find it difficult relating with people, what do I ask them? Moreover I have too much on my hands already. I told Hr to give me an hour so that I can coordinate myself tongue....The truth is if you confirm a trainee and He/she under performs, it tells badly on your record. Here I am always striving to maintain a spotless record now this challenge doesn't look good.

Exactly an hour later Hr unit called again that they are on their way, I told her to take them to the conference room.....30mins later I joined them Lo and Behold I saw 5 well dressed gentlemen and ladies 3 guys and 2 ladies. I stared at them and they were looking back at me (which kind witch be this I said to myself) They thought I was testing them truth is I don't even know what to say or ask....."tell me your names I started".....after all the blah blah.....i went through their cv's it was good. 3 had first class. it was B.A trainee, I looked at their aptitude test performances read their essays great; yet I didn't know what further qstns to ask. So I wrote down a simple arithmetic on the board and I gave them 90s to solve. Only one got it right within the time frame (A lady!!!!; she bagged First class from Reading University UK). I thanked them for their interest in joining us. I sent my remarks to Hr and they were shocked. Hr Manager had to call me explaining that they have spent so such on the recruitment exercise and approving just one means they have to continue the exercise. I simply told him Mr ***a** you can confirm the rest.

This was the simple problem I wrote on the board.

€/€ - €/6 = €/12......what is the value of €?

So I am asking you, how good are you with basic reasoning?
€ = 4

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ebonyi State Vocational College. / How Nigerian Companies Choose Who To Fire When They Downsize / Mathematics/stastistics Vs Mechanical Engineering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.