Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,235 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:56 AM

Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! (14118 Views)

Smoke In Arik Air Plane Forces Pilot To Make Emergency Landing In Ghana / How Can I Get First Nation Airways To Refund My Hard Earned Money.help! / Baggage Abandoned By Arik Air At A New York Airport. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 10:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
Can someone please tell me what else I need to do to get Arik Air refund my money? Its been more than 40 days since I first requested for refunds after I duly wrote to the refunds department as I was instructed. Ever since then, all calls to them result in any of the following:

a) The phone rings indefinitely - sometimes up to 15 to 20 minutes
b) On some days, after a long time, someone picks and immediately drops the call.
c) The phone is engaged indefinitely
d) On the 2 occasions I got through to them in the last one month, I had to use a different number. Its like they are bent on holding out on my money as long as possible..

I have been calling the following numbers (which I got from either the email response I got initially or from the only times I got through or from their website.)

08077791655 - Call Center Supervisor
08077791310 - Refunds
08077791683 - Refunds
+234 (0) 1279 9999 - Customer Care Centre

I have written to the following email addresses to no avail. :
- arik.refunds [at] arikair.com (got a response once to acknowledge me and thats it.)
- customerrelationsdesk[at]arikair.com
- Callcentre.Supervisor[at]ArikAir.com

I paid a lot of money to Arik for my ticket, especially, as I bought the ticket last minute before Christmas. I could have gone to another air line but in the spirit of a patriotic Nigerian, I decided to go with our own thing. I still believe I made the right choice and this is but an administrative oversight.

Has anyone else had this experience and how did you eventually get your cash back. What more or who else should I contact?

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2016
If you currently in Nigeria I suggest you go wild out at their customer care office, that way they would listen to you.

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by tuscani: 10:35pm On Feb 03, 2016
my bro dont relent keep disturbing them, the reason all these people get away with all these rubbish is that we don't put pressure on them. if air france can refund in two weeks why will a local airline treat its own people like this,.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Funjosh(m): 5:09am On Feb 04, 2016
Withholding someone money in this hard times undecided
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by aieromon(m): 7:04am On Feb 04, 2016
Keep on disturbing them especially by email. It took me three months to receive a refund in 2014. They will eventually send you a refunds form to complete. From there,you will need to follow up with your bank because in my case then,the airline authorised a refund of the money but my bank didn't act on it.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 11:58am On Feb 04, 2016
Just to keep you guys informed, I found a nairaland post on the same issue and followed the instructions therein.

1) I have since emailed "The Nigerian Consumer Protection Council". I copied in all the email addresses on my previous post plus a bunch of individuals with "[at]arik.com" email addresses as suggested.

2) I have emailed the official complaints department at Arik Air (talktous[at]arikair.com).

I got an automated reply from the above address which I have posted below:

Thank you for contacting our Customer Care Unit.

This is an automated response.

If you are contacting Arik Air in regards to a refund, please redirect your request to arik.refunds@arikair.com.

We are in receipt of your feedback which has now been forwarded and assigned to a Customer Care Representative for logging, investigation, resolution and follow-up. Where required, we will always attempt to resolve matters within seven (7) business days.

The Customer Care Unit operates Monday to Friday between the hours of 0800 and 1700 Central African Time (GMT +2).

For enquiries relating to our flight schedule, ticketing, pricing or to make a reservation please visit our website at www.arikair.com, use our mobile application or call our 24-hour Central Reservations Service on +234 (0) 279 9999.

On behalf of Arik Air, we thank you for contacting us. We will revert to you as may be required in the near future.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Unit
ARIK AIR LTD
Arik Air Aviation Centre
Murtala Muhammed Airport (Domestic Wing)
P.O. Box 10468, Ikeja
Lagos, Nigeria

As you will note, I am being sent around in circles. The above wants me to contact the Refunds dept again.
The same Refunds department that I have been trying to get results from in over 40 days.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 6:45pm On Feb 06, 2016
Latest update on my Arik Air refund saga:

After applying the techniques I got from Nailarand, I got a response from Arik Air at last.
It seems the permutation of email addresses suggested in that post finally got to someone in authority.

BUT I now have a new problem.

Instead of the £200 I was told by the Customer Service staff, Arik wants to charge me £598.8 for refund admin. Meaning I will be getting back just £721.86 out of the £1,320.66 I paid for my ticket.
Nearly 50% of the original fees paid. shocked

There was no apology for the inconveniences I suffered for over 40 days trying to reach them.
There was no apology for all the snubbing - both on email and phone.
There was no apology for all the lost opportunities dues to them holding on to my money for longer than necessary.

Here is the email I got minus person details:

Dear xxxxx xxxx,

Your refundable amount will be GBP721.86 while the refund charges is GBP 598.8.
Kindly let us know whether to go ahead or not.

Best regards,

xxxx xxxx
Refund Analyst
Revenue Management & Pricing | Commercial
ARIK AIR LTD
Arik Air Aviation Centre
Murtala Muhammed Airport (Domestic Wing)
P.O. Box 10468, Ikeja
Lagos, Nigeria

and that is it.
Just 2 lines telling me I will loose nearly half of my money for daring to use Arik Air.

I have since replied to them to explain the discrepancy between the £200 refund fee Customer Service told me versus the new £598.8 the refund analyst is proposing.

The same organisation with different refund policies?

I am still waiting for a response.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 6:50pm On Feb 06, 2016
Simply send a copy of thier refund policy to them, stating parallels relating to your case.
And requesting how they arrived at their own breakdown of charges.
They would conform!!!
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by DCTrendy(m): 8:13pm On Feb 06, 2016
Reply them again n copy the consumer protection.

That got you this reply in the first place.

Tell them u can only agree to their 200£ refund charges n nothing more.

Copy as many people as possible. Something like lawyer_tunde@gmail.com or something just to give them impression that you ain't gonna take it easy with them!

It works like magic n I use that many time most especially with those insurance people.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
Lexusgs430:
Simply send a copy of thier refund policy to them, stating parallels relating to your case.
And requesting how they arrived at their own breakdown of charges.
They would conform!!!

There are no specific amounts or percentage reduction rates stated on the website. However, I did confirm, on 2 occasions when I was lucky to talk to a staff, that the charge is £200 for refunds.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 8:59pm On Feb 06, 2016
IBEXY:

There are no specific amounts or percentage reduction rates stated on the website. However, I did confirm, on 2 occasions when I was lucky to talk to a staff, that the charge is £200 for refunds.

Word of mouth is not tenable. Simply read through the small prints.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2016
IBEXY:

Zoom in

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2016
Zooming not very legible. Would type it out.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:41pm On Feb 06, 2016
Should you or any member of your party be forced to cancel your holiday, we must be notified , in writing , by the person who made the booking and who is therefore responsible for the payment of the cancellation charges. Cancellation charges are calculated from the date we receive the written cancellation. Amount of cancellation charge {shown as a % total holiday cost] More than 42 days ............................... Deposit 29-42 days ................................. 50% 15-28 days .................................................70% 8-14 days ..................................90% 1-7 days .......................... 100%

This is their cancellation policy.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 10:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
Lexusgs430:
Should you or any member of your party be forced to cancel your holiday, we must be notified , in writing , by the person who made the booking and who is therefore responsible for the payment of the cancellation charges. Cancellation charges are calculated from the date we receive the written cancellation. Amount of cancellation charge {shown as a % total holiday cost] More than 42 days ............................... Deposit 29-42 days ................................. 50% 15-28 days .................................................70% 8-14 days ..................................90% 1-7 days .......................... 100% This is their cancellation policy.

Thanks for this but I did not book my flight from the website you highlighted above.
I booked my flight directly from the main Arik Air website: www.arikair.com/uk

Item 10 on their T&C, about Refunds (also linked from the e-ticket) says, among others:

10.3 Voluntary refunds
If you are entitled to a refund of your Ticket for reasons other than those set out in Article 10.2, the amount of the refund shall be:
10.3.1 If no portion of the Ticket has been used, an amount equal to the fare paid, less any reasonable administration charges or cancellation fees
10.3.2 If a portion of the Ticket has been used and there is no restriction on the Ticket, an amount equal to the difference between the fare paid and the applicable fare for travel between the points for which the Ticket has been used, less any reasonable service charges or cancellation fees.

The issues here are:

a) How reasonable is the nearly 50% of the ticket Arik wants to take from me?
b) Why am I being told two different figures? £200 from the Customer Service and £500+ by the Analyst?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 10:58pm On Feb 06, 2016
IBEXY:

Thanks for this but I did not book my flight from the website you highlighted above.

Item 10 on their T&C, about Refunds (also linked from the e-ticket) says, among others:

The issues here are:

b) Why am I being told two different figures? £200 from the Customer Service and £500+ by the Analyst?

Was your flight booked from the UK?

50% is not reasonable, (but)(depending on the exclusion relating to your case).
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 11:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
IBEXY:

The issues here are:

Where was this figure quoted in their T&C ?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 11:07pm On Feb 06, 2016
You cannot cancel your bookings online once it has been confirmed. However, you can call our reservations office (link to contact us section) or visit your local Arik Air office for cancellations. Note that a penalty fee may be charged for cancellations.

This is the cancellation terms i got from the website you posted. Its very vague and open ended, does not give or state specific percentages.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 11:15pm On Feb 06, 2016
IBEXY:

The issues here are:

The issue in this context is, what is reasonable to them, is not reasonable to you. Its best to request the % they have used and where such percentages are highlighted in their terms of trade.
If % terms are not stated figuratively, their T & C is vague and not tenable.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 8:12am On Feb 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:

The issue in this context is, what is reasonable to them, is not reasonable to you. Its best to request the % they have used and where such percentages are highlighted in their terms of trade.
If % terms are not stated figuratively, their T & C is vague and not tenable.

Exactly!
Their T&C around Refunds simply gives them power to punish people like me who dare kick up a fuss.

I have responded to them (twice) asking to be enlightened on what "arcane" mathematical model they have used to determine I should loose nearly 50% of my money - after all the inconvenience.
Hopefully this week I will get a response.

I have also made copies of the current T&C - just in case it changes overnight smiley Though that is the least of my worries. There are many tools on the internet to look at pages retrospectively.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:06am On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

Exactly!
Their T&C around Refunds simply gives them power to punish people like me who dare kick up a fuss.

I have responded to them (twice) asking to be enlightened on what "arcane" mathematical model they have used to determine I should loose nearly 50% of my money - after all the inconvenience.
Hopefully this week I will get a response.

I have also made copies of the current T&C - just in case it changes overnight smiley Though that is the least of my worries. There are many tools on the internet to look at pages retrospectively.

Where was this ticket purchased from (what country), simply because you quoted £ in your earlier post?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 9:44am On Feb 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:
Where was this ticket purchased from (what country), simply because you quoted £ in your earlier post?

Ticket was bought in the UK via : www.arikair.com/uk
BUT
to discuss Refunds, Arik requires you to talk with Customer Service in Nigeria.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:55am On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

BUT

Was ticket bought with a uk address and was it paid with a credit card?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 9:59am On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

BUT

They want you to discuss refunds with their Nigerian office, simply because they want to get away with ripping people off.
If ticket was bought with a uk address and paid with a credit card, contact ATOL and if paid by credit card, make a complaint to your credit card company.
With each correspondence you send, reference and copy Arik.
They would change their stance!!!
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 10:26am On Feb 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:

They want you to discuss refunds with their Nigerian office, simply because they want to get away with ripping people off.
If ticket was bought with a uk address and paid with a credit card, contact ATOL and if paid by credit card, make a complaint to your credit card company.
With each correspondence you send, reference and copy Arik.
They would change their stance!!!
Thanks Man! I forgot ATOL or even the UK Consumer Protection Agency.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 10:44am On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

Thanks Man! I forgot ATOL or even the UK Consumer Protection Agency.

That's your route, provided the tickets originated from a UK address.
NB: Ensure you copy Arik in all communications sent out.
Was the ticket paid for by debit or credit card?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 10:58am On Feb 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:

That's your route, provided the tickets originated from a UK address.
NB: Ensure you copy Arik in all communications sent out.
Was the ticket paid for by debit or credit card?
Paid by Debit
Originated from UK Address
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 11:10am On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

Paid by Debit

Credit card route would not be feasible, but use ATOL, ABTA etc etc
Might take longer to resolve through them, but that seems your best route to seek redress.
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 12:09pm On Feb 07, 2016
I just had a second look: Arik Air did send me 2 pdfs when I booked the ticket.

1) the ticket itself
2) the T&C

The T&C clearly states £200 as refund/cancellation fees!
So where did the Analyst get £598.8 from

Attached below is the section that clearly states the refund charge is £200 as confirmed by the Customer Service staff.

Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:
I just had a second look: Arik Air did send me 2 pdfs when I booked the ticket.

1) the ticket itself
2) the T&C

The T&C clearly states £200 as refund/cancellation fees!
So where did the Analyst get £598.8 from

Attached below is the section that clearly states the refund charge is £200 as confirmed by the Customer Service staff.

You recall I stated read through all the small prints? Simply attach all to them and demand questions. They would simply know, you are not rolling over in a ball for them!!!
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by Lexusgs430: 1:54pm On Feb 07, 2016
IBEXY:

Paid by Debit

One final question for you, was/were the ticket(s) booked for one individual travelling or two or more persons?
In reference to the above, was/were the ticket(s) booked together or separately?
Re: Arik Air Please Refund My Money, Its Over 40 Days Now! by IBEXY(m): 2:00pm On Feb 07, 2016
Lexusgs430:

One final question for you, was/were the ticket(s) booked for one individual travelling or two or more persons?
In reference to the above, was/were the ticket(s) booked together or separately?

One ticket booked in one transaction for "to" and "back" from Nigeria.
For only me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Cheap Hotels In Port Harcourt / Australia: Boeing 787 Suffers Drop Due To Technical Problem. 50 Injured / Can One Be A Millionaire With Doing Menial Jobs In Germany?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.