Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? (36182 Views)

Poll: Are Examinations True Test Of Knowledge?

Yes: 33% (23 votes)
No: 60% (42 votes)
Others: 5% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Examination Is A True Test Of One's Ability / Is Examination Really The True Test Of Knowledge? / Exams Is Not The True Test Of Knowledge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Phemour: 6:32pm On Jul 01, 2009
This crop up in my mind this afternoon when i saw a dyslexia with 270 in JAMB

Is Examination a True Text of Knowledge??

Comment!  smiley
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Ttola(m): 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2009
do you have any other way to test knowledge??
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2009
Here we go again, just when I was recovering from that "English language is not my mother tongue" thread,
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by kiyosaki1(m): 1:34pm On Jul 02, 2009
Written examination i guess may not be the best way of test of knowledge.I was in a company yesterday to write a test(G MAT),imagine the guy sitting down next to me was using his phone to check meaning of words and their opposites,
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by eldee(m): 2:29pm On Jul 02, 2009
Nope, it's just used in Nigeria because it's clearcut and easy to analyse.
The U.M.E is a big flop . . . a snapshot is not what w need to get people into Uni.
And we're here wondering why graduates are half baked
Exams only test your ability to pass exams . . . c'est fini.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Emperoh(m): 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2009
Not necessarily. . . but what else coulda been used?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by candylips(m): 2:40pm On Jul 02, 2009
it is the most effective way to test knowledge but not neccessarily the best
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by djfiki: 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2009
examination is a test of knowledge but not intelligence. forget JAMB, dem no dey mark that thing!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 02, 2009
those who claim to be dyslexic and use it as an advantage over others are fraudulent and lazy.

Exams are simply rubbish. It is not a true test of how of knowledge and capability.
it is a shame that there is so much emphasis on paper-based knowledge than ability especially in Nigeria.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by blinx4real(m): 2:57pm On Jul 02, 2009
djfiki:

examination is a test of knowledge but not intelligence. forget JAMB, dem no dey mark that thing!

I actually disagree with you, Exams test your Intelligence not your knowledge.
Most of the people that fail exams actually know the questions but, issues like how to put it down, what exactly the questions demand and speed, accuracy are lacking.
So if you keep failing exams, you are not an intelligent person.

You test knowledge by usage
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by drossy(m): 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2009
blinx4real:

I actually disagree with you, Exams test your Intelligence not your knowledge.
Most of the people that fail exams actually know the questions but, issues like how to put it down, what exactly the questions demand and speed, accuracy are lacking.
So if you keep failing exams, you are not an intelligent person.

You test knowledge by usage

great words!!! my arguement is, what percentage of students are actually really prepared by thier teachers!!
when i prepared for gre , i then realised that simple questions can be structured to test your thinking and logic!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by ReachRich(m): 3:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
I Had this friend in school who was very good in 'craming' and 'pouring' during exams. This guy eventually made a 2.1 on graduation but he cannot answer simple, straight forward quetions at most job interviews.
There are also cases where students carry notebooks into exam halls. Some are so good in it that they can copy thier notes in pieces of paper known as "microchips" and use them in the exam hall. Because of such cases i dont believe examination is a true test of knowledge especially in Naija.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Sagamite(m): 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2009
Examination is a useful test of your knowledge in a particular field, not a good test for intelligence.

My own definition of intelligence is the ability to consistently see not only the primary factors and perspectives of issues but also the the secondary and most of the tertiary factors and perspectives. Very few people have this ability.

Very few examinations in its present state test this, it is more an institution of cramming and regurgitating of segments of the curricullum of a certain field.

If you gave Bill Gates an exam on fashion design, he would fail woefully. Does that imply he is not intelligent?

I also include, controversially I admit, that my definition of intelligence is more predominantly present in logical and commercial fields, less so in artistic fields.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Baro(m): 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2009
Examination is not the best test of ones knowledge, but it's still the only test
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2009
OMO IBO:

those who claim to be dyslexic and use it as an advantage over others are fraudulent and lazy.

Exams are simply rubbish. It is not a true test of how of knowledge and capability.
it is a shame that there is so much emphasis on paper-based knowledge than ability especially in Nigeria.

You dey vex oh. E be like say you don dey fail since grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2009
MCQ exams can serve as a test of knowledge, but I don't think the same for theory, like the poster above me.
And if the question the thread asks is about the examinations written in Nigeria and not exams generally, then no, exams in Nigeria cannot be used as true tests of knowledge, because of different reasons, the high rate of exam malpractice being one of them.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by eldee(m): 3:33pm On Jul 02, 2009
Baro:

Examination is not the best test of ones knowledge, but it's still the only test
Have you heard of projects, coursework, work experience, presentations, practical work and essays??
Why's it Nigeria that uses one Multiple choice examination to see who goes into University??

In the UK, it's A-levels/Foundation (2 years), In the US it's high school and SATs(Even teachers' references count), in France and many other countries it's the International Baccalaureate (2 years).
All of these have more to them than the final exams  . . . what's wrong if the U.M.E is more than one Saturday afternoon thing??

Sagamite:

Examination is a useful test of your knowledge in a particular field, not a good test for intelligence.

My own definition of intelligence is the ability to consistently see not only the primary factors and perspectives of issues but also the the secondary and most of the tertiary factors and perspectives. Very few people have this ability.

Very few examinations in its present state test this, it is more an institution of cramming and regurgitating of segments of the curricullum of a certain field.

If you gave Bill Gates an exam on fashion design, he would fail woefully. Does that imply he is not intelligent?

I also include, controversially I admit, that my definition of intelligence is more predominantly present in logical and commercial fields, less so in artistic fields.
First of all, please stop derailing the thread with you absurd controversy theories.
Secondly, this thread is about tests of knowledge not Bill Gates IQ . . . no one's saying anyone should take IQ tests to get into uni
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Em2va: 3:36pm On Jul 02, 2009
I think one has to set a clear cut definition between brilliance and intelligence. One might be intelligent but may never pass any exam.
In essence, exams are no tru test of knowledge, its just a way of knowing who is ready to bend down his head for hours on end, reading!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
Those who supply answers to the UME/JAMB exam do not even know the correct answers. That exam is hogwash!
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jul 02, 2009
Ujujoan:

You dey vex oh. E be like say you don dey fail since grin grin cheesy cheesy
LMAO
i knew someone was going to pick this up.
yes i did fail but at modules i really didnt care about but that is not the point.

in lay man's terms we are individually gifted and talented.
sagamite  referred to Bill Gates as a pile of poo in terms of fashion but give him computers and/or anything IT related . . . . . . . .

Will Smith was admitted to University but chose to turn it down.

Sir Alan Sugar knows nothing about education and exams. He only cares about your 'know how'

The list goes on and on. . . . . .
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sleekymag(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2009
@ Em2va

Brilliance is synonymous with intelligence, but knowledge is not exactly synonymous with intelligence. You can be naturally intelligent but because of lack of seriousness, or lack of interest in a subject matter, you could be at best average in academic work, or even do poorly. However when diligence, seriousness and a strategic approach towards studying to excel in exams is combined with natural intelligence, a naturally intelligent person will always outshine the averagely intelligent.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 02, 2009
eldee:

Have you heard of projects, coursework, work experience, presentations, practical work and essays??
Why's it Nigeria that uses one Multiple choice examination to see who goes into University??

In the UK, it's A-levels/Foundation (2 years), In the US it's high school and SATs(Even teachers' references count), in France and many other countries it's the International Baccalaureate (2 years).
All of these have more to them than the final exams  . . . what's wrong if the U.M.E is more than one Saturday afternoon thing??

First of all, please stop derailing the thread with you absurd controversy theories.
Secondly, this thread is about tests of knowledge not Bill Gates IQ . . . no one's saying anyone should take IQ tests to get into uni

You are soooo off on this one.
JAMB does not have to be more than one afternoon because we have exams that test your ability over several years. .  .  . It is called WAEC.
Your admission is contingent upon passing WAEC and Jamb.
What is the difference between the system in the US and Nigeria? They have SAT (which is one day) and high school. Nigeria has Jamb(one day) and WAEC(involves your ss1-3 average and standardised tests on ssce days). You've got no point here.
Try something else
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by sleekymag(m): 4:24pm On Jul 02, 2009
@ Em2va
I think one has to set a clear cut definition between brilliance and intelligence. One might be intelligent but may never pass any exam.
In essence, exams are no tru test of knowledge, its just a way of knowing who is ready to bend down his head for hours on end, reading!

Brilliance is synonymous with intelligence, but knowledge is not exactly synonymous with intelligence. You can be naturally intelligent but because of lack of seriousness, or lack of interest in a subject matter, you could be at best average in academic work, or even do poorly. However when diligence, seriousness and a strategic approach towards studying to excel in exams is combined with natural intelligence, a naturally intelligent person will always outshine the averagely intelligent.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by MissEZ(f): 4:26pm On Jul 02, 2009
I do not know if exam is a true test of knowledge, all i know is that it takes discipline to be able to study for exams and pass them. I think that is what the system is driving out. Somebody said that JAMB is not useful, well you cannot enter an accredited US university without SAT scores, neither can you enter graduate school without your GRE scores. According to what i read up on GRE, the exam is administered with the intention of testing your ability to complete graduate school.This comes down to your ability to not only read, but understand what your reading.

I am sorry to say this, but it is easier for the nigerian student to blame his failures on the University system:which is messed up by the way, but we as students dont even pay attention in class(if we even take the time to attend).The little knowledge we have been taught, when school is not on strike, what do we do with it. The truth is most students read to pass and forget as soon as school is over.

IT takes alot of discipline to be able to study for exams.

Sleekymag i like your comment
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by Nezan(m): 4:38pm On Jul 02, 2009
Doesnt matter
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:42pm On Jul 02, 2009
djfiki:

examination is a test of knowledge but not intelligence. [size=18pt]forget JAMB, dem no dey mark that thing![/size]

That exam is a pile of hot dung. The results are like kalokalo.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:48pm On Jul 02, 2009
sleekymag:

@ Em2va

True.
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
Miss EZ:

I do not know if exam is a true test of knowledge, all i know is that it takes discipline to be able to study for exams and pass them. I think that is what the system is driving out. Somebody said that JAMB is not useful, well you cannot enter an accredited US university without SAT scores, neither can you enter graduate school without your GRE scores. According to what i read up on GRE, the exam is administered with the intention of testing your ability to complete graduate school.This comes down to your ability to not only read, but understand what your reading.

I am sorry to say this, but it is easier for the nigerian student to blame his failures on the University system:which is messed up by the way, but we as students dont even pay attention in class(if we even take the time to attend).The little knowledge we have been taught, when school is not on strike, what do we do with it. The truth is most students read to pass and forget as soon as school is over.

IT takes alot of discipline to be able to study for exams.

Sleekymag i like your comment

Comparing JAMB with SAT or GRE is like comparing rusted zinc (JAMB) with titanium (SAT/GRE).
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by hackney(m): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2009
Exam is a true test of knowledge  &   an I.Q. exam is a true test of intelligence.

Usually there is an element of IQ challenge in an exam so YES if you pass well you are likely to be intelligent or knowledgeable.
(think of the opposite to get the full picture)

PS we are not making any comments based on the nigerian scenario as it is not a NORMAL scenario
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by MissEZ(f): 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2009
ur kinda missing the point. Shey we are talking about exam as test of knowledge. just giving examples. Was just trying to show that its a standard procedure everywhere(that is using exam to test knowledge).
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by hackney(m): 5:01pm On Jul 02, 2009
Thot the question was if :
Phemour:

This crop up in my mind this afternoon when i saw a dyslexia with 270 in JAMB

Is Examination a True Text of Knowledge??

Comment! smiley

Know what you mean but how else can you test someone with a good reference point of fail or pass?
Re: Examination:: True Test Of Knowledge? by MeGaStReEt: 5:08pm On Jul 02, 2009
NO! Examinations is not a True Text of Knowledge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian At Virginia State University Calls Cops For Noisy Roommates - Pictures / Look Who Is Going To School In Nigeria: The Statistics May Surprise You / Nigerian Students Threatened With Expulsion By Ukrainian Universities Cry Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.