Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,853 members, 7,802,731 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device (44981 Views)

Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Iphone Device / Why Do Majority Of Smartphone Users In Nigeria Detest Windows Phone? / Don't Use Second-Hand Phones - NCC Warns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
aa

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by damaray: 3:07pm On Feb 04, 2016
iamgiggssleaky:
if the price of the Iphone drops to the extent that anyone can afford it then the phone would lose its value and blv it or not, the population of those that would use it in Nigeria won't Increase rather it would reduce.

so the major reasons IPhone is surviving in the market is because only one model is produced over a given period of time, Its OS is exclusive to the brand alone and its pricing is well tailored.

now reserve these things to be different models at a given time, OS availability isn't exclusive, prices vary.. then no prestige attached and the brand loses its value.

This completely explains the "Whatsapp over BBM" theory as well. Although, people rushed to check out the app when it was finally released on andriod and ios, the comments that followed weren't so cool. most people were like "so is this the bbm we were always always hearing of? " "nothing special". n now 1 out of 7 people use whatsapp. why not bbm that opened it to other users?.

GOD BLESS U, U must be an ECONOMIST, Iphone is a Luxury good, should incase the price decrease the demand will also decrease.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
iamgiggssleaky:

I admire the way you reason. you are absolutely right about the point you stated. but that's "if it's reduced for only 5days" meaning it will still return to its normal price and the people that got it for that price will only feel lucky they did. moreover, you just gave statistics about the global figure which I blv Nigeria which is the case study here didn't contribute massively to that feat.

I was referring to a situation where the price will completely drop to the extent that an average Nigerian can buy the iPhone and remain that way as it's normal price and not a bonanza.

U are also right to some extent. Don't forget one thing, lots of people who buy these iPhones in the USA buy them on 2 year contracts to make it affordable (that has stopped recently with the introduction of the iPhone 6s). Even at that the starting price of $650 upwards is affordable to many as their economy is way better than ours.

Now lets come back to nigeria which the topic is based upon, would u buy an infinix note if it is sold for the same price as an iphone in Nigeria? If iPhone price drops, then majority of Nigerians will use the iPhone, I also agree that a drastic reduction in price will probably stop celebrities and co from using the iPhone and it might affect their sales in other countries, but in Nigeria? No no.. It will rather turn the iPhone to tecno, the highest selling phone brand in Nigeria.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 04, 2016
Simply not relevant to our environment. Narrow bandwidth. Utility apps for daily living and chores not available. Apple does not have us in this part of the world factored into their considerations!
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Of course iPhone 5s is not the first phone with fingerprint scanner, it was actually the Motorola atrix 4g, but Apple made it better with the iPhone 5s. And u misread my comment again, what I meant was iPhone 5s was the first iPhone with a fingerprint scanner, and the first phone that actually made fingerprint scanner worth using and that was a huge selling point. Motorola atrix 4g had fingerprint scanner 2 years before the iPhone 5s, but it was impractical, buggy and nobody gave a damn about it, the placement was wrong SBD u had to swipe ur finger, reason no other OEM bothered putting it in their phone. But the moment Apple added s fingerprint scanner in their iPhone 5s, every other OEM made it a priority to add to their flagship phones. Today no phones with fingerprint scanner require swiping of finger... All thanks to Apple.

Apple are not the first to create lots of products, but the moment Apple decides to compete in A certain tech market, every other OEMS shiver and buckle up. Apple did not make the first touchscreen smartphone, but iPhone was the phone to beat back in 2007 when it came out. They did not make the first mp3 player but the iPod killed every other mp3 players. They did not make the first tablet but the iPad changed the tablet market. That is to tell u apple put in more effort SBD whatever they release is top quality unlike other OEMS that bring out half baked products into the market. The Motorola fingerprint was half baked, apple made it a revolutionary feature.

I didn't misread your statement. U need to check it again. By your logic , apple don't follow others in doing what they have done before. Apple started the below too or should I say made it better ?

Phablets
Notification center
3rd party keyboards
Widgets
Quick toggles
1080p screen

The list goes on. Since the demise of Steve jobs, Apple haven't done any mind blowing thing.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Do u even know what u are saying? Apple sold 13 million Iphone 6s and 6s plus after 5 days of launch. People line up just to buy iphones. Now picture this, apple releases a press conference that the next iPhone will sell for half the price for the first 1 week of launch. Can u imagine what would happen? If they can sell 13 million units in 5 days selling for between $700-900. And now they decide to sell the next iphone for $400 at launch. Guy den go sell 50 million units in 3 days.
we're talking of Nigeria market not other countries
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
asuustrike2009:

we're talking of Nigeria market not other countries

If jumia or Konga decide to sell iPhone 6s for 50k I can guarantee u it will sell out within 1 hour.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2016
You hear say iPhone get virus before?? I don use 3 iPhones now... 5 5s and 6 and I am enjoying it

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 04, 2016
Gbyte:

Quote me anywhere friend, iPhone has the best battery in the world. If you want to be sure, put off iPhone 3G or 4G and see how long the battery would last, then put on iPhone and another other phone's 3G on and test how long the battery would last compared to iPhone

Iphone users will skin u for this
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

If jumia or Konga decide to sell iPhone 6s for 50k I can guarantee u it will sell out within 1 hour.
Yeah because of the price reduction but I don't think it's possible although even with the price reductions I don't think the sale will increase within one hour
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

What would happen if Samsung s6 edge is also sold for 50k?
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

And what would happen if Samsung s6 edge is also sold for 50k?
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by fowlyansh181(m): 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2016
one and one reason alone , PRICE

2 Likes

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Ola17: 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2016
Gbyte:

Have you checked apple website before ? Please check so you can know it cost $699 if you are not buying on contract and less than $750 with tax
Probably the price has dropped. Got mine a little fraction above a thousand dollars when it was newly released.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

I didn't misread your statement. U need to check it again. By your logic , apple don't follow others in doing what they have done before. Apple started the below too or should I say made it better ?

Phablets
Notification center
3rd party keyboards
Widgets
Quick toggles
1080p screen

The list goes on. Since the demise of Steve jobs, Apple haven't done any mind blowing thing.

Can u show me where I said apple don't follow others in doing things? Pls show me. I actual said apple are not the first to invent many products and features, but what they do is pick a product or feature and make it better which then will become a benchmark for future products to be released by other OEMS. Apple borrow features without infringing copyright laws, while other OEMS (sic Samsung) steal ideas and infringing copyright. Where were u when Apple was punching Samsung over copyright infringement between 2011-2013?
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Ola17: 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

IPhone 6s 16gb is about $700 while the 64gb is between 800-850usd. The one that is sold for about $1,000 is the iPhone 6s plus.
I have both 6+ and 6. Got The 6 a little below $1k, maybe $950 but the 6+ is above $1k. This was immediately after they were released.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 04, 2016
iphone = class cool
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

And what would happen if Samsung s6 edge is also sold for 50k?

Same thing will happen, it will sell out within 1 hour. I was actually expecting someone to give this comment but I wonder why nobody even did. The thing is price plays a major role in demand. If u have a good product at an affordable price, then lots of people will buy. If u have a good product at expensive price, only very few that knows the value will buy. If u have a poor product at very cheap price, few people will still buy because it is what they can afford.

But if we go out of Nigeria and let's say iPhone 6s and galaxy s6 edge are sold for $300... Which one do u think will sell out first?

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Can u show me where I said apple don't follow others in doing things? Pls show me. I actual said apple are not the first to invent many products and features, but what they do is pick a product or feature and make it better which then will become a benchmark for future products to be released by other OEMS. Apple borrow features without infringing copyright laws, while other OEMS (sic Samsung) steal ideas and infringing copyright. Where were u when Apple was punching Samsung over copyright infringement between 2011-2013?

From your sentence an average Joe would believe Apple set trends in everything. Since Steve's demise, apple has been the greatest thief. You just disgraced yourself saying Apple doesn't infringe on copyright laws. Check below

Apple loses suit filed over Face Time's VPN technology; jury awards VirnetX $625 million

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-loses-suit-filed-over-Face-Times-VPN-technology-jury-awards-VirnetX-625-million_id77989/comments/page/1

Apple faces damages bill after jury finds iPhone and iPad chip violates processor patent

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/14/apple-jury-iphone-ipad-chip-violates-processor-patent
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Same thing will happen, it will sell out within 1 hour. I was actually expecting someone to give this comment but I wonder why nobody even did. The thing is price plays a major role in demand. If u have a good product at an affordable price, then lots of people will buy. If u have a good product at expensive price, only very few that knows the value will buy. If u have a poor product at very cheap price, few people will still buy because it is what they can afford.

But if we go out of Nigeria and let's say iPhone 6s and galaxy s6 edge are sold for $300... Which one do u think will sell out first?

How do you expect me to know but I would pick up S6 edge anytime anyday ahead of iPhone 6s
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

From your sentence an average Joe would believe Apple set trends in everything. Since Steve's demise, apple has been the greatest thief. You just disgraced yourself saying Apple doesn't infringe on copyright laws. Check below

Apple loses suit filed over Face Time's VPN technology; jury awards VirnetX $625 million

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-loses-suit-filed-over-Face-Times-VPN-technology-jury-awards-VirnetX-625-million_id77989/comments/page/1

Apple faces damages bill after jury finds iPhone and iPad chip violates processor patent

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/14/apple-jury-iphone-ipad-chip-violates-processor-patent

Iol, u had to bring this one? Do u want me to show u countless times apple has sued (and won) other companies over copyright infringement? Guy if I start Nairaland will not contain it.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

How do you expect me to know but I would pick up S6 edge anytime anyday ahead of iPhone 6s

That is u, u can't say the same for the person next to u. Or why do u think apple is selling more iPhone 6s than galaxy s6/s6 edge altogether.

1 Like

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Iol, u had to bring this one? Do u want me to show u countless times apple has sued (and won) other companies over copyright infringement? Guy if I start Nairaland will not contain it.

You said Apple don't infringe on other copyright laws. Meaning they are clean and flawless. Nobody here said same about other OEMs. Only you tagged Apple the inventor and clean ass company that always does the right and best thing
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by matrixme(m): 3:43pm On Feb 04, 2016
All I can say is that Apple is not being wise by sticking to the exclusivity of their device and platform. The more it is the merrier it always is. Google has just passed Apple to become the most valuable company in the world.
Ordinary Facebook that started far behind these companies now has a platform (Whatsapp) used by 1 in 7 people worldwide. Nigerians won't even decide to use Apple again because they have acquired the taste of Android.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

That is u, u can't say the same for the person next to u. Or why do u think apple is selling more iPhone 6s than galaxy s6/s6 edge altogether.

You are already shifting the goal post. Apple makes more sales than other companies but the case study of the article is NIGERIA .
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:44pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

You said Apple don't infringe on other copyright laws. Meaning they are clean and flawless. Nobody here said same about other OEMs. Only you tagged Apple the inventor and clean ass company that always does the right and best thing

Every major company have faced some lawsuits over copyright infringement one time or the other. From Apple to google to Samsun (in their own worse) to Microsoft, etc.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 04, 2016
ollah1:

You are already shifting the goal post. Apple makes more sales than other companies but the case study of the article is NIGERIA .

Do u have a proof that galaxy s6 edge is selling more than iPhone 6s in Nigeria? I use a Samsung galaxy s6, I have only see someone use galaxy s6 edge once, but I've seen many many people using the iPhone 6s and 6s plus, especially the ladies. About 80% of naija celebrities use iPhones, or how many times have u see someone flash his Samsung on instsgrsm or Facebook?

2 Likes

Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by shotgun22(m): 3:49pm On Feb 04, 2016
ritababe:
I have only one reason
1. The price.
you're everywhere!! always first to comment..
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by dejavuh0007(m): 3:50pm On Feb 04, 2016
Here r my own reasons y i cant use an iphone apart frm d price bin a major constraint:
1. Storage space: iphone ranges frm 16. 32 to 64 gig but with an iphone one is stuck wt as much storage space dat came with d phone coz deres no option fr memory expansion via micro sd slots
2. Battery life: this is anoda major reason. D iphone 6 comes equipped wt a mere 1800+ mah battery capacity dat can last barely fr hours if u r d heavy user type. Y spend a fortune on a phone whose battery cant last u a day wen dy r android phones out dere dat comes equipped wt as much as 6000mah dat can last u 2 days on heavy usage.
3. Still on battery lyf, iphones comes equipped wt irremovable batteries, so wen battery lyf dwindles after some years of usage so u r stuck wit dis problem coz u cant replace d ba3 wt a new 1 unlyk android were it is as easy as getting a new ba3, pop d back cover and replace d ba3 wt a new. U can even keep a spare ba3
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Every major company have faced some lawsuits over copyright infringement one time or the other. From Apple to google to Samsun (in their own worse) to Microsoft, etc.

Ohh now you know. Never tag Apple the company that doesn't infringe on others copyright laws.
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by bawajghai(m): 3:55pm On Feb 04, 2016
My own reason is when I had the rumours. Of Steve job saying iphone is not meant for Africans or blacks .
Re: Iphone: Why Majority Of Nigerians Don't Use The Device by Nobody: 3:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
greenhulk:

Do u have a proof that galaxy s6 edge is selling more than iPhone 6s in Nigeria? I use a Samsung galaxy s6, I have only see someone use galaxy s6 edge once, but I've seen many many people using the iPhone 6s and 6s plus, especially the ladies. About 80% of naija celebrities use iPhones, or how many times have u see someone flash his Samsung on instsgrsm or Facebook?

Where in my comment did I say its selling better than iPhone 6s? How can you tell the difference between the 6 and 6s when they both have exact same design? How sure are you that the pictures you see around aren't from the 6 since its the same design with the 6s?

I don't know where you live and where you go to. But u have seen loads of s6 edge and s6. The earlier is even more than the latter. I use the s6 edge but u won't see me front it on social media either in words or pictures

Our celebs are bound to use iPhones cos they copy the american thing and its an American company

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Be Careful Of Your Phones And Phone Addiction, See Why / Would Elon Musk Keep Parag Agrawal As Twitter CEO After This Tweet? / Difference Between Boy-boy And Girl-girl Conversation On The Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.