Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,784 members, 7,806,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University (14109 Views)

5 Teachers Sacked For Impregnating SS3 Student In Kebbi; The Student Expelled / SS2 Student Expelled For Sleeping With Classmate's Dad And Teacher's Husband / Photo Of The Kenyan Student Expelled From School Over "Occultic Drawing" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Ussyyn(m): 3:22pm On Feb 04, 2016
A student who was expelled by the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, in 2015, for having “speech and hearing challenges” has sued the institution for damages to the tune of N20 million.

Jane Ottah, 28,‎ said the damages were for the trauma, embarrassment, and emotional distress caused by her expulsion.

In court papers filed at the Rivers State High Court and seen by PREMIUM TIMES, Ms. Ottah also demanded that the university provide the necessary support services and facilities to aid her learning.

She further demanded a perpetual injunction restraining the university or their agents from discriminating against her in any way.

The court has fixed February 19 for hearing.

‎Ms. Ottah, a former student at the Department of Educatinal Foundation at the university, was expelled on January 30, 2015, over claims that she had speech and hearing challenges.

“I am directed to state that during your recent medical examination in the Health Services Department, it was observed that you are medically challenged and have hearing and speech difficulties,” the university stated in a letter to Ms. Ottah signed by C.M Ewhorlu, Principal Assistant Registrar (Senate).

You are therefore advised to hand over all University property(ies) in your possession to your Head of Department and thereafter leave the campus.”

Ms. Ottah said her ambition of reaching the “highest point possible academically” notwithstanding her disability was frustrated by the university.‎

“The Applicant, notwithstanding her disability (hearing impairment) has a burning desire for education – a desire she pursued such that she acquired primary education, secondary education where she passed eight subjects at a sitting,” Ms. Ottah said in a court affidavit.

http://www.melogist.com/student-expelled-for-speech-hearing-challenges-sues-rivers-university-for-n20-million/

2 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Ussyyn(m): 3:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Why did they gave her admission at first if they know that she is not applicable..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by DesChyko: 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2016
This is a double-edged sword.
First, they should have the profile of their student. If they enquired and she indicated her disabilities, then they should by all means, seek redress to her plight.
If on the other hand, they didn't and she didn't make it known either, I don't think the institution parades herself as one for the 'challenged. She should save her money.

2 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by NiGeRianTr0ll(m): 3:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
I doubt if Nigerian institutions are equipped for special needs students...Heartless Motherfvckers and if the student didn't state his/her(yeah, I'm not reading the article) condition then the case could easily be dismissed and thrashed

2 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by UrennaNkoli(f): 3:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
Discrimination they may say but indirectly, they are doing the student a good favour. How on earth is she being expected to cope. if it was only speech problem and her hearing was okay, it would have been much more better.
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Waleed3G: 3:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
Oh, You want to be doing a bae bae up and down abi.... If you have these challenges there are special schools for such people
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by jiggalo(m): 3:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
When na only you cook rice for yard.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Tenim47(m): 3:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
wu go pay d money? u jst affect d school fees of d others , , , , mtcheew
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Bigpicture(f): 4:00pm On Feb 04, 2016
Er hmmm! Let's hear from the judge first.
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Endougs(m): 4:00pm On Feb 04, 2016
noted
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by MrAboki: 4:01pm On Feb 04, 2016
Which kind yeye case be this one na? angry

As much as I understand and support her cause fully (as I feel the physically challenged in Nigeria are grossly under-considered in the grand scheme of things), but I feel sorry for RSUST who were not equipped from the onset to cater to such category of students.

If they did not expel her and allowed her stay, she could still have sued them for not providing an adequate learning environment suited to her handicap.

I cant wait for the person who would also sue the banks as well. I once saw the challenge a physically challenged man went through to gain access into one of these banks. It was dehumanizing to be honest. Only 'some' FirstBank branches have armoured doors that can accommodate a wheelchair.

2 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by 100Cents: 4:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
Thats a good one..

The principal of that school should be sacked..
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Nicepoker(m): 4:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ussyyn:
Why did they gave him admission at first if they know that he is not applicable..
jane..a lady not a guy

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by missionmex(m): 4:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
She for go special school na.
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Irore: 4:03pm On Feb 04, 2016
DesChyko:
First, they should have the profile of their student. If they enquired and she indicated her disabilities, then they should by all means, seek redress to her plight.
If on the other hand, they didn't and she didn't make it known either, I don't think the institution parades herself as one for the 'challenged. She should save her money.

Gud talk. Let's go back to her Jamb form. I think there is a column for indicating physical disabilities.

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by dennisworld1(m): 4:03pm On Feb 04, 2016
wahala. Make them pay. All this yeye school with no facilities.

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by JustOzito(f): 4:03pm On Feb 04, 2016
kpele...
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Irore: 4:05pm On Feb 04, 2016
missionmex:
She for go special school na.

How did she cope with Pry,Sec,WAEC/NECO, Jamb?

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by wilcox(m): 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
DesChyko:
Seconded
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by epospiky(m): 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
i was kinda wondering if the university didn't know all this before admitting her.
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by STAINlESSobule: 4:07pm On Feb 04, 2016
lets wait till 19th but i pray that the action otah took wil not bring damage to others

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by ahizih(m): 4:07pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ussyyn:
Why did they gave him admission at first if they know that he is not applicable..
Na girl no be boy Ms means Miss,dats if u didn't see de name Jane

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Holywizard: 4:10pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ussyyn:
'Why did they give' & not 'why did the gave'

3 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by abeniagbon(m): 4:11pm On Feb 04, 2016
Question some people ask. Na something at times. Why don't you ask why that guy with no arms that used to write with his legs in uganda university that graduated recently why was he giving an admission in his first place..
They will pay more fine.
I will speak with the judges in this matter.

5 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by BE811APP: 4:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
i remeber d case sometime back
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by Holywizard: 4:15pm On Feb 04, 2016
100Cents:
Thats a good one..

The principal of that school should be sacked..
sec skul kids everywhere. wetin concern higher institution with principal? u don write waec?

3 Likes

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by 100Cents: 4:16pm On Feb 04, 2016
Holywizard:
sec skul kids everywhere. wetin concern higher institution with principal? u don write waec?

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by femiranking28(m): 4:17pm On Feb 04, 2016
Choi I no know say Jane for sue oh kai....
Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by qualityovenbake(m): 4:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
Why should an institute of knowledge discriminate and stigmatized her student. Probably the university wasn't equipped to handle her condition

1 Like

Re: Student Expelled For "Speech & Hearing Challenges" Sues Rivers State University by cococandy(f): 4:18pm On Feb 04, 2016
We still have a loooong way to go

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Available Scholarship For Nigerian Undergraduate / Uniuyo 2017/2018 New Cut Off Marks For All Departments / 10 Hottest States (in Terms Of Temperature) In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.