Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,059 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? (1898 Views)

PHOTOS: Why Lagos Is The Craziest City In World / Is It Hard For Foreigners To Get A Nigeria Visa / Which Country Offers Jobs For Foreigners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by FairOne1(f): 3:52pm On Oct 31, 2006
Hey all. I’ve been reading through a few of your posts and one in particular, “My trip to Lagos and Eastern Nigeria”, caught my eye. I was just after a bit of truthful advice, if you wouldn’t mind.

I am a young, white British female planning on visiting Nigeria for a fortnight or so in the next few months. I with another family member plan on flying out to Lagos where we’ll be met by my boyfriend at the Airport (Murtala Mohammed) and later plan to travel to Enugu to visit his family. I was just wondering if you thought it would be safe for us to do so?

I have had many people, often from other countries in Africa, tell me it wouldn’t be and that our lives would be in danger etc., but I often wonder is it just because they are from elsewhere that they say that, having never been there themselves.

Whereas having spoken to other Nigerian’s (mostly friends of my boyfriend) they have said the complete opposite. They say the people there are simply curious and in being foreign we would be more welcomed if anything, especially in Enugu.

I realise there are dangers, scam artists and such but is it that bad you wouldn’t advise foreigners going?

Sorry for such a drawn out message but any information on safety and places to go/avoid would be truly appreciated, thanks.  smiley
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by ToddTerry: 4:41pm On Oct 31, 2006
Yes, it safe. Just keep your wits about yoruself like you would in London's East End or the housing projects in Paris. Lagos is no different. They love oyibos. Just make sure you have a hanroll of 100 naira notes for tips for porters, police, and beggars and such. and of course, don' wear lots of jewelry or attrcat to much attention about yourself. make sure you also smile a lot and you will no problems. what yoru friends say is bollocks. now if you plan to go to aba i would not recommend it. also, make sure you cover up so you dont get bit by mosquito and get malaria ooooo.
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by vodkat: 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2006
yea its safe but since ur bf lives in nigeria u shd contact him and he shd show u around.by the way is ur bf a nigerian
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by FairOne1(f): 3:25pm On Nov 01, 2006
Yes, my boyfriend will be meeting us at the Airport and we'll be with him and his family pretty much the whole time we're there. He's from Enugu. smiley
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by vodkat: 8:52pm On Nov 01, 2006
so u have no problem infact people would be delighted to see you and you would be called oyibo (which means white foreigner).Anyway i know u have an impression of where u going to and dont be ready to absorb every thing .Nigerians are friendly people and only if you go to the oil producing areas like portharcout or bayelsa that u need to be worrried and this is because of kidnapping of oil workers there.Which is done by the jobless and unemployed youths of the area .u see the oil coys there have raped the environment and the whole place is a mess.But anyway u have no fear to be worried u could have fun in lagos visit interesting places e.g like African shrine in ikeja or the Silverbird galleria or many other fun places u before going to enugu so that u can enjoy the dynamic environment.
you are welcome , but i will like to ask you one question
is Manchester really safe to foreigners i ask this becuase i have an admission with the shool but the embassy have been refusing me a visa, i wonder sometimes whether i am a considered a threat to the British people thats why the keep refusing me a british visa after i paid my school tuition,,
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by OldGlory1(m): 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2006
Lagos is not even safe for Nigerians, but then again London is another crime ridden city. You will fit right in.
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by ToddTerry: 10:22pm On Nov 01, 2006
no one place is safe except the united states and canada.
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by biomic(f): 10:32pm On Nov 01, 2006
and who says the united states and canada is safe,beta refuse that thot from ya head fast fast cheesy-------mannnnn--------no where is safe, it is only God that protects
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by Hunter(m): 3:15am On Nov 02, 2006
Old Shame:

Lagos is not even safe for Nigerians, but then again London is another crime ridden city. You will fit right in.

You must of been to a different London than I did because the level of crime in London is far far far far far far less than Lagos, I'm an 18yr old white teenager and I wouldn't feel safe in Lagos so I'm not sure how safe a young woman is going to feel. Like it or not Lagos is a very intimidating place
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by FairOne1(f): 11:40am On Nov 02, 2006
vodkat:

so u have no problem infact people would be delighted to see you and you would be called oyibo (which means white foreigner).Anyway i know u have an impression of where u going to and don't be ready to absorb every thing .Nigerians are friendly people and only if you go to the oil producing areas like portharcout or bayelsa that u need to be worrried and this is because of kidnapping of oil workers there.Which is done by the jobless and unemployed youths of the area .u see the oil coys there have raped the environment and the whole place is a mess.But anyway u have no fear to be worried u could have fun in lagos visit interesting places e.g like African shrine in ikeja or the Silverbird galleria or many other fun places u before going to enugu so that u can enjoy the dynamic environment.
you are welcome , but i will like to ask you one question
is Manchester really safe to foreigners i ask this becuase i have an admission with the shool but the embassy have been refusing me a visa, i wonder sometimes whether i am a considered a threat to the British people thats why the keep refusing me a british visa after i paid my school tuition,,

I can’t wait to go but it is persuading the other person who will be going with me that it is really safe for us to go that is proving difficult, so your lengthy reply is very much appreciated, thanks. smiley

As for your question,

I don't claim to know everything about the British System but I can tell you, that you being rejected a visa ISN'T because you individually are seen as a threat. Simply the British System is RUBBISH and they are only now trying to get ahold of the amount of people let into the country and in doing so they are rejecting the majority from everywhere, not just you. (Including my boyfriend.) There are SO many illegal immigrants here it is ridiculus. And in their quest to try cut down they are rejecting the ones, like yourself, who want to enter LEGALLY instead of deporting the illegal ones. It makes absolute no sense to me.

I wish you the best of luck though! smiley
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by FairOne1(f): 11:57am On Nov 02, 2006
Old Shame:

In no way can you compare London to Lagos. I don't mean to offend but, England and Nigeria are on two levels.

And hell, I'm not even from London, I'm from Newport. Newport isn't one of the nicest cities in Wales but it is nothing compared to London.
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by deathadder(m): 5:41pm On Jan 05, 2007
when me been london me feel more hostility than Lagos.

Me also been Newport and they have a serious drug problem there which encourages a lot of nasty crime.

You come to lagos and we meet for a drink.I show you special sights.
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:48am On Jan 07, 2007
deathadder:

when me been london me feel more hostility than Lagos.

Me also been Newport and they have a serious drug problem there which encourages a lot of nasty crime.

You come to lagos and we meet for a drink.I show you special sights.

she's going to meet her boyfriend duh! abi you want to shakara us with oyinbo

Todd Terry:

no one place is safe except the united states and canada.

Dont you just love americans they are sooooo very smart
Re: Lagos - Is It Really Safe For Foreigners? by XFio(m): 12:36pm On Nov 03, 2008
[/quote][quote author=Hunter link=topic=29125.msg683931#msg683931 date=1162433730]
You must of been to a different London than I did because the level of crime in London is far far far far far far less than Lagos, I'm an 18yr old white teenager and I wouldn't feel safe in Lagos so I'm not sure how safe a young woman is going to feel. Like it or not Lagos is a very intimidating place

(1) (Reply)

Travel / Nigeria Students In Lithuania( How Do You Survive) / The "First Luxury Hotel In Space" Has Started Taking Booking Reservations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.