Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,565 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? (4641 Views)

Why Soil Analysis On That Farmland?? / Cheap Accurate Soil Test For Farmers Comming Soon... / Mobile Soil Test Kit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
As the news suggests, many youths are beginning to venture into agriculture . The knowledge though minimal but the zeal is great. My concern is if the zeal ,financial capability and available land alone can earn us success without knowing if the soil we want to plant on is suitable for the crop.
B4 sewing comes measurement,b4 medication comes diagnosis, b4 car come savings and b4 farming should come SOIL TEST.

Click like if you conduct soil test before planting or click share if you don't. We want to do things right hence forth.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
soil test will reveal the PH , N,P,K sulphur etc. When you check any crop recommendation to farmers by any Isreali or Indian forum the 1st you hear is " soil test.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Do you carry out soil test b4 farming
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by maishai: 8:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
Bros, pls educate us, I once looked for where to conduct a soil test but found none, I was directed to a polytechnic and lo and behold the prof of their SLT dept wanted to use me to shine in front of his students, like i dont know what i am saying. pls advice on labs where i can get soil test and leaf sample test done........ I know how to interpret d result
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Feb 04, 2016
Do you conduct soil test before farming?
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by maishai: 8:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
No
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by maishai: 9:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
Im about to recycle a land used for cassava and will love to do soil analysis, can you help with where i can send my soil saMple to
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by jamace(m): 9:51pm On Feb 04, 2016
Soil test ended in the classroom o. Now we just use visual inspection to determine the characteristic of the soil. grin grin
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by maishai: 10:20pm On Feb 04, 2016
jamace:
Soil test ended in the classroom o. Now we just use visual inspection to determine the characteristic of the soil. grin grin

I dont want to be @ risk of using excess fertilizer, they inhibit ur crop from uptake of microelement like zinc and calcium.Most market women reject cassava cultivated with fertilizers, they say they are big for nothing, they say it does not contain enough starch.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by FarmTech(m): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
For those in anambra, u can do ur soil test at Agricultural dev center, awka, off kwata junction.

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 6:48am On Feb 05, 2016
jamace:

LOL you are funny bros. If you are farming without soil test you are playing BABA IJEBU... odds odds odds

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 05, 2016
In and around University of Agriculture Umudike go to National Root Crop Research Institute Umudike.

Post where you know to help our members .
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 7:42am On Feb 05, 2016
If you think it matters little please give it a try to confirm that the difference is 7up.
Ordinarily knowing the soil PH will give you a good result talk less of knowing the npk + level.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Moyanbe(m): 10:26am On Feb 05, 2016
It is very important to conduct soil test before farming. It will help you determine the soil condition, whether it is OK for the crop to be planted or not.
I do test mine in abk. I will upload the recent soil test I did few days ago.

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by jamace(m): 12:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
happybrother:
In and around University of Agriculture Umudike go to National Root Crop Research Institute Umudike.

Post where you know to help our members .
Check this: https://www.nairaland.com/2912828/soil-testing-ease-using-landmapper
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
Without a soil test you may likely damage your naturally enriched soil by adding extra fertilizers. Also you may be an all- year failure in farm work BC you fail to amend the soul appropriately. Don't build your house on a shallow foundation as it must crash ...so also must you find a soil test important when you want to go into crop production.

At Onitsha drug market , Alaba international you will find Soil test kit of manageable price.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by sheyi86: 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
@op, at wot estimate price can 1 get it
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 2:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 2:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
Landmapper is an american product and can be used for both laboratory and field testing.

Please consult Dextol Global Geophysical, a partner of the manufcturer, Landviser LLC USA for quote, order and after sale support.

It will be at just same price as from the manufacturer.

Thanks

www.dextolgbgeo.com

https://www.nairaland.com/2912828/soil-testing-ease-using-landmapper
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 8:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
here are fields in which landmappers has been used.

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 8:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
More

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Aqudo: 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
@larwin, this is Nigeria, not America or Europe. Therefore you need to speak the language we best understand and safe us all these your EC, ER and what have you.
The OP is particular about soil test with respect to soil pH, essential elements such as NPK. If your device can be used for all these , tell us in a plane language and give up your price. Peace.!

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by TheUnbeatable(m): 11:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
Good evening,

I am busy of late.

I do soil test for interested investors.

It goes this way,

I visit the farm location to view many parameters, take soil samples and do both laboratory and qualitative analysis or quantitative (academic) depending on the investor's preference.

I will try attach some pictures if possible now.

Let me cease this opportunity to take permission from the my client whose work I want to post but I will edit the confidential part.

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by TheUnbeatable(m): 12:13am On Feb 06, 2016
I need to cover the content please.

Forgive me.

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by TheUnbeatable(m): 12:24am On Feb 06, 2016
Parameters to be checked vary from location to location and "some little little things".

Let me stop here because I am watching holy ghost service before I start typing my prayers here. *laughs*

God bless your hustled @all.

Sincerely
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by TheUnbeatable(m): 12:26am On Feb 06, 2016
This is the foundation of crop production and many other enterprise.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 12:34am On Feb 06, 2016
Aqudo:
@larwin, this is Nigeria, not America or Europe. Therefore you need to speak the language we best understand and safe us all these your EC, ER and what have you.
The OP is particular about soil test with respect to soil pH, essential elements such as NPK. If your device can be used for all these , tell us in a plane language and give up your price. Peace.!

thanks Aqudo... EC means electrical conductivity. Salinity in Nigerian context. This is different from pH.

Electrical Conductivity is a very quick, simple and inexpensive method that farmers and home gardeners can use to check the health of their soils. Whereas pH is a good indicator of the balance of available nutrients in your soil, Electrical Conductivity can almost be viewed as the quantity of available nutrients in your soil. (NOTE: Only nutrients that are dissolved in the soil water is “Available” for crops to take in).

In the soil, the Electrical Conductivity (EC) reading shows the level of ability the soil water has to carry an electrical current. The EC levels of the soil water is a good indication of the amount of nutrients available for your crops to absorb.

Think of it like this, all the major and minor nutrients important for plant growth take the form of either Cations (positively charged ions) or Anions (negatively charged ions). These ions that are dissolved in the soil water carry electrical charge and thus determine the EC level of your soil and how many nutrients are available for your crops to take in. Knowing your soils EC can allow you to make more educated farming decisions.

For example if the soil EC is too high, it can be indicative of excess nitrogen based fertilizer or a high level of exchangeable sodium. Soils with an accumulation of exchangeable sodium are often characterized by poor tilth and low permeability making them unfavorable for plant growth. Soil EC is also related to specific soil properties that affect crop yield, such as topsoil depth, pH, salt concentrations and water-holding capacity. Thus EC is a great tool for explaining what your yields could be and taking action to get better yields.

EC testing has been applied to farms across Europe, American etc. If we want to drastic revolution in farming in Nigeria, we need to incorporate this technology in our decision making.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 12:39am On Feb 06, 2016
For the price quote, please email info@dextolgbgeo.com
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Nobody: 1:21am On Feb 06, 2016
For the good of all who want to make it in agriculture I solicit for soil test kit sampling , price quotes.
At Ariaria International Market you can get a soil test kit of different sizes, soil PH test strip, Soil Electric conductivity meters, Hygrometer, Soil moisture meter, etc

The shop is
Continental commercial Group, 17d lockup shop Ariaria Intl market. 08035441481, 08185699122 .

If you know other contacts please post them here.

1 Like

Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by OluchiDelly: 2:07am On Feb 06, 2016
happybrother:
For the good of all who want to make it in agriculture I solicit for soil test kit sampling , price quotes.
At Ariaria International Market you can get a soil test kit of different sizes, soil PH test strip, Soil Electric conductivity meters, Hygrometer, Soil moisture meter, etc

The shop is
Continental commercial Group, 17d lockup shop Ariaria Intl market. 08035441481, 08185699122 .

If you know other contacts please post them here.

Those in Lagos, Lagos state material testing laboratory, Ojodu Berger bus stop. Price could be up to 100k depending on the no of parameters u want. One of their staff told me.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by maishai: 4:13am On Feb 06, 2016
Lets not forget the nature of agriculture and its producd b4 we post, most of us on nairaland are low acrage farmers, proposing a device of #100000 or a lab dat charges more than #1500 will never be feasible.
Re: Say The Truth: Do You Conduct Soil Test B4 Farming? by Larwin(m): 9:14am On Feb 06, 2016
maishai:
Lets not forget the nature of agriculture and its producd b4 we post, most of us on nairaland are low acrage farmers, proposing a device of #100000 or a lab dat charges more than #1500 will never be feasible.

you have to note dat your yield will always depend on your input to soil testing...taking your samples to labs is not the best option because there is no how the normal state of the soil won't be altered during transport and the time interval it will spend.

The best is to run your lab test yoursef insitu or on your farm while the soil is in place and not disturbed.

And its something u don't do once...u hav to practice it everytime. U can't definitely be visiting labs everytime and thats why you need your own personal kit.

Don't look at the money, look at the yield sir!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vertical Sacks For Vertfical Farming Now Available, Lagos / Cost Of Laying 5000 Blocks / Nairaland Farmers, Please HELP Save My Tomotoes!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.