Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade (18451 Views)

Why It Is Difficult To Graduate With First-class In Nigeria / Taiwo Bankole & Oyindamola Omotuyi Graduate With 5.0 CGPA In UNILAG (Pics) / Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Possible4you(m): 6:28pm On Feb 04, 2016
As students, we all want our cumulative grade point average (CGPA) to be high so as to graduate with either first class or second class upper.

There actually might be, but am not sure there is any student that wants to graduate with a second class lower not to talk more of a third class.

Here are some principles I have listed that would be of good help to you in achieving your aim of graduating with a very high CGPA.

Make Up Your Mind

If you really want to make a good CGPA, the first thing you would have to do is to make up your mind. In making up your mind, I mean that you should know within yourself that what you are about to undertake won’t be so easy. There are some things you would have to drop in order to achieve your aim. Things like playing a lot, watching movies and some other things apart from reading that takes your time. I am not saying that you should stop playing neither did I say you should stop watching movies but you should minimize the rate at which you do all those things.

Time Management

This aspect is very important as it is a priority of every student. For you to be able to excel, you have to be time conscious. Some students neglect the use of reading time table but I would like to advise that reading time table is very necessary for a every student. It would help you to carry all your courses along and not to focus on only one course.
Make a time table of what you want to do each day and at the end of the day, check out whether you were able to accomplish them.

For you to make a good reading time table you need your lecture time table. This would enable you to know the particular course you are meant to read each day so that you may not read the right thing at the wrong time. Also make a time table of the activities you want to do each day apart from reading and don’t allow those activities to encroach into your reading time table.

Accept The Fact That You Know Nothing

According to a very known philosopher, Socrates, “All I Know Is That I Know Nothing”. With this I don’t mean you should start calling yourself an OLODO but you should not say that you know a particular course very well so as not to read or focus on that course. When I was in my 100 level, I use to say that I know mathematics very well and that made me not to read my mathematics book.

The day of test came and after the test, I knew within me that I did not do well in the test but I still maintained the fact that I knew mathematics very well not until a night before maths exam that I decided to read mathematics. I opened the book to read and found out that those things I thought that I knew, I knew them no more. I had to read till daybreak and went for the exam. When the result was out, I got a C grade instead of the A grade that I thought I would get.

People would say “experience is the best teacher” but I am telling you to learn from other people’s mistakes that you may not experience that same mistake.
Never you for anything downgrade any course unless you might experience my mistake or even worst than that.

Focus

This aspect is also as important as the others. Some students would always focus only on one course because the course is too simple for them or maybe the course is too hard for them paying little or no attention to other courses. This is very wrong, for no matter how good you are as a student, you must still have the tendency of forgetting and you can only remember if you read. Remember, when making a reading time table, focus more on those courses that have a higher credit unit for those courses would help boost your CGPA than the lower credit unit courses.

In some higher institutions e.g FUTO,one credit unit courses are more stressful than even the 4 credit unit courses due to the assignments that is been bombarded by the lecturers to the students. This tend to make some students to concentrate mostly on those one unit courses forgetting about their higher credit unit courses.
If you are in this category of students, I would advise you to rather do the assignments that same day it was given so as to avoid it been piled up for you or you do as many as you can another day if you can’t do it that day and endeavor not to loose concentration on your higher credit unit courses.

Read

We all know that as students we are meant to read but there are some things we don’t understand about reading. Some students do read at night simply because their friends read at night not taking into consideration whether they are understanding what the read or not and may end up damaging their reading tables with their head when sleeping.

Before you read, first of all understand yourself and know the right time when you understand what you read. Some understand what they read when they read at at night, some in the day, some very early in the morning.

Some others do read a day before an exam thinking that they can get everything in their brain overnight. I did this when I wrote my maths exam as narrated above but I ended up getting a lower grade than expected. Learn to prepare and read on time so as to prevent the 11th hour rush.

One other thing, as Human beings, our brains need rest so read moderately and also rest your brain (siesta). Don’t also forget to play for it helps develop your brain but don’t overplay.

Pray

For you to be able to be able you make a very high CGPA, you have to prepare yourself both physically and spiritually. Before and after you finish reading, you should pray so as to ask for God’s favour so that you might not easily forget what you read.

I would like to round up with this “Work As If Everything Depends On You And Pray As If Everything Depends On God.”

God bless you.

- Source: http://examrelief.tk/what-it-takes-to-graduate-with-a-good-grade

45 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by okosodo: 6:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
Good write up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Kirinwa: 8:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hahahahaha.

Those things I thought I knew I knew them no more. Buahahhahahhaha

Very funny.
Nice post op.

Lalasticlala you are the man! Let's go there.

1 Like

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by timilehin007(m): 8:52pm On Feb 04, 2016
Who get time to read this Epistle to the Israelites..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by lordsharks(m): 8:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
okosodo:
Good write up

2 Likes

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by centyboy: 8:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
Vanity Upon Vanity... cry

1 Like

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by danidee10(m): 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
in summary

always go to class

always read before the exam

try to answer questions in class

always do your assignments by yourself

and finally pray

You'll definitely make it except your village people do what they know how to do best grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by mosho2good: 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
by having lot of sex b4 class in the morning and making sure u drink 10cans of origin

4 Likes

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by somcherry(f): 8:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
Interesting
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by hrpvl: 8:55pm On Feb 04, 2016
Possible4you:
As students, we all want our cumulative grade point average (CGPA) to be high so as to graduate with either first class or second class upper.

There actually might be, but am not sure there is any student that wants to graduate with a second class lower not to talk more of a third class.

Here are some principles I have listed that would be of good help to you in achieving your aim of graduating with a very high CGPA.

Make Up Your Mind

If you really want to make a good CGPA, the first thing you would have to do is to make up your mind. In making up your mind, I mean that you should know within yourself that what you are about to undertake won’t be so easy. There are some things you would have to drop in order to achieve your aim. Things like playing a lot, watching movies and some other things apart from reading that takes your time. I am not saying that you should stop playing neither did I say you should stop watching movies but you should minimize the rate at which you do all those things.

Time Management

This aspect is very important as it is a priority of every student. For you to be able to excel, you have to be time conscious. Some students neglect the use of reading time table but I would like to advise that reading time table is very necessary for a every student. It would help you to carry all your courses along and not to focus on only one course.
Make a time table of what you want to do each day and at the end of the day, check out whether you were able to accomplish them.

For you to make a good reading time table you need your lecture time table. This would enable you to know the particular course you are meant to read each day so that you may not read the right thing at the wrong time. Also make a time table of the activities you want to do each day apart from reading and don’t allow those activities to encroach into your reading time table.

According to a very known philosopher, Socrates, “All I Know Is That I Know Nothing”. With this I don’t mean you should start calling yourself an OLODO but you should not say that you know a particular course very well so as not to read or focus on that course. When I was in my 100 level, I use to say that I know mathematics very well and that made me not to read my mathematics book.

The day of test came and after the test, I knew within me that I did not do well in the test but I still maintained the fact that I knew mathematics very well not until a night before maths exam that I decided to read mathematics. I opened the book to read and found out that those things I thought that I knew, I knew them no more. I had to read till daybreak and went for the exam. When the result was out, I got a C grade instead of the A grade that I thought I would get.

People would say “experience is the best teacher” but I am telling you to learn from other people’s mistakes that you may not experience that same mistake.
Never you for anything downgrade any course unless you might experience my mistake or even worst than that.

Focus

This aspect is also as important as the others. Some students would always focus only on one course because the course is too simple for them or maybe the course is too hard for them paying little or no attention to other courses. This is very wrong, for no matter how good you are as a student, you must still have the tendency of forgetting and you can only remember if you read. Remember, when making a reading time table, focus more on those courses that have a higher credit unit for those courses would help boost your CGPA than the lower credit unit courses.

In some higher institutions e.g FUTO,one credit unit courses are more stressful than even the 4 credit unit courses due to the assignments that is been bombarded by the lecturers to the students. This tend to make some students to concentrate mostly on those one unit courses forgetting about their higher credit unit courses.
If you are in this category of students, I would advise you to rather do the assignments that same day it was given so as to avoid it been piled up for you or you do as many as you can another day if you can’t do it that day and endeavor not to loose concentration on your higher credit unit courses.

Read

We all know that as students we are meant to read but there are some things we don’t understand about reading. Some students do read at night simply because their friends read at night not taking into consideration whether they are understanding what the read or not and may end up damaging their reading tables with their head when sleeping.

Before you read, first of all understand yourself and know the right time when you understand what you read. Some understand what they read when they read at at night, some in the day, some very early in the morning.

Some others do read a day before an exam thinking that they can get everything in their brain overnight. I did this when I wrote my maths exam as narrated above but I ended up getting a lower grade than expected. Learn to prepare and read on time so as to prevent the 11th hour rush.

One other thing, as Human beings, our brains need rest so read moderately and also rest your brain (siesta). Don’t also forget to play for it helps develop your brain but don’t overplay.

Pray

For you to be able to be able you make a very high CGPA, you have to prepare yourself both physically and spiritually. Before and after you finish reading, you should pray so as to ask for God’s favour so that you might not easily forget what you read.

I would like to round up with this “Work As If Everything Depends On You And Pray As If Everything Depends On God.”

God bless you.

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by cutebobo(m): 8:55pm On Feb 04, 2016
I dear not read that whole epistle. I summarize your lengthen write up from the topic.

Actually its not easy ooo and its not all about reading alone. Ask for God's grace.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Smellymouth: 8:55pm On Feb 04, 2016
Hmm
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by youngprof8787: 8:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
is there a batch for June n July?..NYSC batch I mean?
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by raayah(f): 8:57pm On Feb 04, 2016
.- pray and hope to God that your 'script' does not go missing.

- Hope that your lecturer does not think A is for God, B is for himself, and C and Below is for students.

- Hope the lecturer doesn't hate you ( e.g dating the lecturers girlfriend). Anything can trigger hatred.

- Hope you don't fall sick or have family issues.

A lot of top students follow your rules op, but it didn't work out. Especially in Nigerian universities, it's a mixture of hard work and luck.

6 Likes

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by cutetopsey(f): 8:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
On point!
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by ronald4lif(m): 8:58pm On Feb 04, 2016
somcherry:
Interesting

Nne, Kedu? Ote gwa o.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by lanxlot(m): 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
nt bad. me sha...I dnt make a reading time table...I read whenever and wherever I lyk...dats Where individual differences cums in...if u r a student, perhaps u jux gained admission. ist tin u shud ask ursef is....What do I want? if u ans d questn, lots of tinx will fall into place.

1 Like

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by xender(m): 8:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
how can one apply all this steps from uu...and ur site is doing runs....

na wa 2 u o

1 Like

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Abidex35(m): 9:01pm On Feb 04, 2016
Thou shall not forget this important point as well.

Surround yourself with Like minds....... Iron sharpenth Iron.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by hrpvl: 9:01pm On Feb 04, 2016
Possible4you:

Make Up Your Mind

Time Management

Focus

Read

Pray

God bless you.

Nice article! Contact us for job in Dubai, you can see our signature, Thank you
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by techcoms: 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
WordPress/PHP Developer needed to start immediately in our Port Harcourt office.
Phree Technologies , a new Web Development and Digital Marketing agency for B2B and off shore development, headquartered in Hamden, CT, USA, is seeking an experienced WordPress/PHP Web Developer. Candidates must have solid understanding of web development best practices and be able to show examples of complex systems they have worked on.
Front end development is also an important aspect to this position. (CSS, HTML5, jQuery, etc.)
The position will consist of everything from complete website development to small maintenance projects. Plug-in research and customization are a plus. Specifically, we are looking for people with a strength in creating quick word press sites with minimal guidance. Experience creating custom themes is a must have.

Desired Skills & Experience
· 2 - 5 years WordPress
· 2 - 5 years minimum PHP development
· 2 - 5 years MySQL experience
· 2 - 5 Experience with front-end web development (CSS, jQuery, HTML5, etc.)

Jobs@phreetech.com and okor_tech@yahoo.com
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by kelvyn7: 9:02pm On Feb 04, 2016
shocked
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Idrismusty97(m): 9:04pm On Feb 04, 2016
And more Blah Blah Blahs
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by medexico(m): 9:06pm On Feb 04, 2016
Possible4you,

You are right, especially READ and PRAY
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
Owo ni koko!
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Hermanie(m): 9:08pm On Feb 04, 2016
My problem is feeling down too often. I woke up this morning with zero motivation, couldn't even go to class even though I knew perfectly well that I was missing an account class.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Ray360: 9:10pm On Feb 04, 2016
timilehin007:
Who get time to read this Epistle to to Israelites..
If it was how Olamide ridiculed Don Jazzy now, you will read it to the last word. An educating piece like that can change your life.

3 Likes

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
What happened to summary bro??..

Long write up likes one,is the main reason behind mass failure in schools(poor grade)
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Muhylonaire(m): 9:15pm On Feb 04, 2016
Team 2:1 hit the like button

5 Likes

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by banmee(m): 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2016
Possible4you:

Make Up Your Mind

Time Management

Focus

Read

Pray

God bless you.

Good write up. But, I don't know about the last one though. Prayers will not help you remember anything if you don't study and apply yourself.

1 Like

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by timilehin007(m): 9:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
Ray360:

If it was how Olamide ridiculed Don Jazzy now, you will read it to the last word. An educating piece like that can change your life.
go and die pls
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by PLANETMARS(m): 9:26pm On Feb 04, 2016
It takes GOD

(1) (2) (Reply)

YABATECH 2016/2017 Departmental Cutoff Marks And Jamb Cut Off Marks / Expelled Student Sues Covenant University For Illegal Expulsion / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Sudan Extorted $250 From Us For Evacuation - Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.