Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) (19549 Views)

Hire The Best Commercial Lawyers For The Debt Collection In Melbourne / The EFCC Has Detained The MD, Macmillian Nigeria, Prof. Adesanya Adelekan. / Nigeria’s Debt To Climb To 24.1% Of GDP By 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by dre11(m): 8:07am On Feb 05, 2016
A police sergeant attached to Ladipo Police Post in Mushin Local Government Area of Lagos has detained a mother and her two-year-old son over her husband’s inability to pay his debt.

The policeman, Jonathan, detained the two year-old boy and his mother because her husband, Gibson Ukeje, owed a company some money.

The little boy, Emmanuel Ukeje and his mum, Uju Ukeje were arrested and detained for two days because police couldn’t locate Gibson. Uju said: “On January 4, 2016, my son and I were in my restaurant at Egbeda when policemen, led by one Sergeant Jonathan came there and ordered everyone to get out.

He locked up my restaurant. I pleaded with him to tell me my offence. The sale’s representative lady from the company, who supplied goods to my husband, stepped out. She said she was the one who ordered for my arrest because my husband couldn’t be reach.”

Uju, who said she knew her husband owed the company money, said it was never her husband’s intention to delay payment. She said: “My husband was robbed; that was why he couldn’t repay the company. All the food in my restaurant got spoilt on that fateful day.

When we got to the station, the policeman threatened to take my baby away from me.

He later took my baby, gave him to someone and locked me up. I wasn’t released until my husband paid the company.” Uju alleged that she and her baby were detained for two days without food.

At a point, the baby started vomiting. She was finally released after her lawyer and that of the company sat down and rubbed minds on how best to settle the issue.

Gibson said that he had been transacting business with the company for seven years now and couldn’t under why the management would order for the arrest of his wife and kid. Gibson said: “Sometimes in May 30, 2015, the company through their sales representative, brought the goods to my shop as was the normal practice. Our mode of payment was to issue the company a postdated cheque. This cheque serves as collateral.”

He said before the sales rep left that fateful day, he gave her about N190, 000 postdated cheque. A few weeks after the goods were delivered to his shop, he boarded a commercial bus from Ikeja, heading to Lagos Island. Gibson recalled: “I and other passengers in the bus were attacked by some armed robbers.

They collected all the money I made that day. It was on a Friday. I would have deposited the money in the bank, but my bus was faulty.

That was why I boarded a commercial bus. The robbers stole N1million from me. It affected my business seriously; that was why I couldn’t continue with the business any longer. My shop was shut down.

Unfortunately, it was as a result of the incident that I was later hospitalized. I couldn’t pay the company.

Even while I was on my sick bed, the company kept threatening me!” Gibson further said that after he was robbed, he called the company sales rep, to intimate her about the incident. He thought of calling the company’s Managing Director, to explain the situation, but he didn’t have the MD’s phone number.

“The company sent its lawyer and we talked at length. I had met with company lawyer about three their times before they finally brought policemen to arrest my family. We even reached agreement on how to pay back the money, but they still came to arrest my wife and son,” said Gibson.

He continued: “What annoyed me most was that when my lawyer went to the police station, the Investigating Police Officer (IPO), Jonathan, told the lawyer that he had not received order from the complainant to release them even though my son was sick.

I want the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni to investigate the matter and call this IPO to order. To serve as deterrent to others.

Policemen are not supposed to be debt collectors. My family was made to sleep on the floor at the station without food. I didn’t deny owing the company.” A human right activist, Mr. Segun Adeeko, who went for the release of Gibson’s family, was allegedly mistreated by the police officer.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/woman-two-yearold-son-detained-husbands-debt/

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by HungerBAD: 8:09am On Feb 05, 2016
what? this is not right.

Arrest a mom and child over the husbands business? even the British Police that created the Nigeria Constabulary( Present Police Force) will be ashamed, when they hear how Policing is being carried out here.

This is not just an illegal detention, but it is also an abuse of human right especially as regard her son. If only this woman can afford a good lawyer, to sue the Nigeria Police for this barbaric act.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by dre11(m): 8:09am On Feb 05, 2016
The policeman, Jonathan, detained the two year-old boy and his mother because her husband, Gibson Ukeje, owed a company some money.

JONATHAN again

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Sanchez01: 8:16am On Feb 05, 2016
dre11:

JONATHAN again
Hahahahahahahahahahahagringringrin

The NPF consists of secondary school graduates who don't even know the law. Most of them are rogues in uniform. The IGP should wade into this. Secondary school graduates among them should be converted to traffic warders while other qualifications should be put in their place. It is imperative that the IGP give his men proper orientation. Policemen in Nigeria flout rules without knowing it.

11 Likes

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Elosky20: 8:25am On Feb 05, 2016
There was once a country

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by kingphilip(m): 8:26am On Feb 05, 2016
Elosky20:
There was once a country
na so we see am o

But I think another method should be adopted in order to retrieve the borrowed money instead of keeping the wife and young kid in custody. This is disheartening and needs be check

BTW the police shouldn't take all the blame here.. The man too he's going incommunicado was the cause of all this..

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by qualityovenbake(m): 8:29am On Feb 05, 2016
The police conduct violated their human right. They can be called for questioning concerning the where about of her husband but detaining them for two days is a violation of their human right.
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Islie: 8:41am On Feb 05, 2016
Sanchez01:

The NPF consists of secondary school graduates who don't even know the law. Most of them are rogues in uniform. The IGP should wade into this. Secondary school graduates among them should be converted to traffic warders while other qualifications should be put in their place. It is imperative that the IGP give his men proper orientation. Policemen in Nigeria flout rules without knowing it.

I still don't know where it was written in the law that if you can find an offender..... then you can detain his/her spouse and children

Nigeria police..... I hail una
until we know our rights.... these people we keep trample on it

7 Likes

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Donald3d(m): 8:42am On Feb 05, 2016
Someone should tell me the difference between this and kidnapping

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Donald3d(m): 8:45am On Feb 05, 2016
dre11:

JONATHAN again
hehehe jona !! jona !!! all this things you are doing diaris God ooo

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by millhouse: 10:09am On Feb 05, 2016
Donald3d:
Someone should tell me the difference between this and kidnapping
no difference my brother... That's why I still feel No big kidnapping goes on without a policeman knowing about it.

4 Likes

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by brownjulie(f): 10:17am On Feb 05, 2016
this is not fair at all.. can't they have mercy? at least for the child's sake... haba!
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by MadCow1: 10:17am On Feb 05, 2016
[size=18pt]When you realise your father has used you as Collateral to borrow Money to play Nairabet
[/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3369571_babiesinshock_jpeg082f9b046194f815b3153ac344772638

10 Likes

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Oblongata: 10:18am On Feb 05, 2016
The man went incommunicado, the company must have been patient enough with all excuses, they reported to police, police;in its over exurberance, tramples on human right, an underage (for crying out loud '2' year old) was detained. Office of the public defender would have been advised for the wife. But then again, the IPO would deny detaining the child, make the man take heart, he caused all these, ndo.

2 Likes

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by kennyman2000(m): 10:19am On Feb 05, 2016
Hmmmm....
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 05, 2016
That's abduction.
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Olusanya333(m): 10:20am On Feb 05, 2016
Too bad
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by brunofarad(m): 10:21am On Feb 05, 2016
This is impunity

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by georgeonaya(m): 10:21am On Feb 05, 2016
Na Daddy Causam
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by kaziblake(f): 10:23am On Feb 05, 2016
dre11:

JONATHAN again
Lol grin
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by hilariousdude(m): 10:26am On Feb 05, 2016
Well, since Efcc don detain Dazuki and Olisa Metuh , what's now the crime of this innocent 2 years old boy ?? This is the exact thing that happens when a policeman takes alomo bitter with ofada rice for the first time
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by kaziblake(f): 10:27am On Feb 05, 2016
Lock her up because of her husband's debt.

Nigeria police system needs to be reformed.
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by DirtyGold: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2016
Sanchez01:

Seriously, this is preposterous and I totally agree with you

What's tha business?

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by dominique(f): 10:30am On Feb 05, 2016
The NPF must compensate the family for the distress caused.
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by ElDaIllest(m): 10:32am On Feb 05, 2016
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by Pavore9: 10:33am On Feb 05, 2016
This is so wrong!
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by georgio(m): 10:33am On Feb 05, 2016
HungerBAD:
what? this is not right.

Arrest a mom and child over the husbands business? even the British Police that created the Nigeria Constabulary( Present Police Force) will be ashamed, when they hear how Policing is being carried out here.

This is not just an illegal detention, but it is also an abuse of human right especially as regard her son. If only this woman can afford a good lawyer, to sue the Nigeria Police for this barbaric act.

my broda.....These ibo business men are ruthless wen it comes to debt payment. many sales reps have lost their jobs to these business men because of credit. if arresting the mother and child was how the sales rep could get her money out fine , because her job was at stake. But arresting the man alone or man and wife togeda wont yield nothing. I am talking from a personal experience here.

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by giantstrides(m): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2016
CC Kgdavid

This is what happens when you support policemen arresting family members of the main culprits, a lot of innocent people will suffer.
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by tico1212(m): 10:40am On Feb 05, 2016
JONATHAN. ...
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by w808: 10:41am On Feb 05, 2016
very bad
Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by loomer: 10:50am On Feb 05, 2016
So till today, dem no fit reform our police force? What a pity

1 Like

Re: Woman, Two-yearold Son Detained Over Husband’s Debt (photo) by gondon(m): 10:52am On Feb 05, 2016
I KNOW THIS FAMILY VERY WELL.. THE MAN DEY COOK FINAL AND HE IS A COOL HEADED PERSON.
HE WAS INTO PROVISION STORE BEFORE HE STARTED RESTAURANT BUSINESS; MAY GOD HELP HIM ''AMEN''.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dollar Debts: CBN Repays Banks Next Week, Naira May Rebound / U.S. Based Businessman To Set Up $2bn Dollar Modular Refinery In Edo / Big Money In Small Businesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.