Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (84000 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by PoliticalThuG(m): 5:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
emerem:
Some use the word HATRACY, but there is no word like that. You can only get HATE ot HATRED. Nxt ....
dnt mind those brothers of patrick obahiagbo abi wetin be his name sef

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by professore(m): 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
Nigerian English things
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by banio: 5:35pm On Feb 05, 2016
When U attend an interview and the employer uses any of these words, kindly correct the employer and U will see the result of sabinus

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by NobleAngell(f): 5:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
sammysammy111:

my dear we don argue tire, dem say i be old school, i tell dem say yeso i gree, make i be old school dan speak dat blunder "clap her"
Wetin person no go hear for this world?
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by vikiblinks: 5:53pm On Feb 05, 2016
Let me add this 'shebi', does that exist?
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by profeoo(m): 5:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
INSULTIVE

Do not say your words are insultive,say they are insulting

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Stanbeto: 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2016
Omo trust 9ja we get sence die
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by placeofallure(f): 6:18pm On Feb 05, 2016
You won't find the words: "barb" the hair and"harmattan" in the dictionary.

2 Likes

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by RemenZack(f): 6:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
'Run for dear lives' not 'Run for your dear lives'.

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Oka4: 6:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]
Honestly1:
Which rat would u kill first? Please be sincere........ You have just come back from work to see 6 rats • The 1st rat was eating your highest academic certificate maybe a degree Certificate. • The 2nd rat was eating your ATM card. • The 3rd rat was eating your Marriage Certificate. • The 4th rat was eating your land and house ownership documents. • The 5th rat was eating your Visa to travel for a multi-Billion dollar project. • The 6th rat was eating your Bible. Which one would you kill first?
none, because I will wake up
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by FabioPeter: 6:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
"Educative" correct word is "Educational"
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Segadem(m): 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
abdulrahaman2:
Check ur dictionary bro. VULCANIZER: The equipment used for the vulcanization of rubber

abdulrahaman2:
Check ur dictionary bro. VULCANIZER: The equipment used for the vulcanization of rubber

frisky2good:
Which dictionary you dey use?

asamaigho:

which dictionary are u using?

he he he, in our days in school is not in dico, go and check old dico. biko
grin grin grin
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by placeofallure(f): 6:46pm On Feb 05, 2016
NobleAngell:
ROTFL. Can't stop laughing. Clap her koh slap her ni.

Sounds too crude to be true, but yeah it is. It is correct to say "Clap her" rather than "Clap for her"

Back to the thread, I know some people will be surprised that a word like "Agbada" the male robe is in d dictionary and the supposedly English words are nowhere to be found.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by samsadeyemo(m): 6:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
English and it's exceptional abnormalities.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by richard870(m): 7:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
Deflower not 'disvirgin'...dont use them anyways
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by samuelchimmy(m): 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2016
TheMascot:
Who says they don't?. . because the whites don't use it Abi.. we can't change it.. Let them add it to the dictionary.. If you are support say I.. Against.. The lagoon is open
@op thats nigerian english wil be included in newer dictionary editions
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by laptopsale(m): 7:06pm On Feb 05, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Disvirgin should be added to dictionary. I mean mainstream dictionaries like oxford or Webster.

Though, not only Nigerians use disvirgin. it's even in some online dictionary.

It sounds more meaningful than disflowered .. Which flower she carry wey you dey dis .. Mtchewww
hahahahahah
Funny dude
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by shumuel(m): 7:06pm On Feb 05, 2016
BrightEye:
Here are 7 words Nigerians use every day which don’t exist. These are the kind of words you type into your phone or computer and it draws a red line underneath it. Please read on and educate yourself.

(1.) GO- SLOW Although the word ‘go-slow’ appears in the dictionary, it is wrongly used by many Nigerians. The word go-slow means a form of industrial action in which work or progress is deliberately delayed or slowed down. It does not mean congested traffic, so it is wrong to use it in that way.

(2.) INSTALMENTALLY There is no such word in the English dictionary, this word exists only in the Nigerian edition dictionary (if such a book exists). The correct thing to say is ‘in installments’

(3.) OPPORTUNED How many times do you say ‘I was not opportuned to come’? The correct variants that exist are ‘opporteune’ or ‘opportunity’. The word ‘opportune’ has no past tense.

(4.) CUNNY “That guy is very cunny”. This is wrong, the word is ‘cunning’, not cunny. If you want to refer to someone who is sly or deceitful, use the word ‘cunning’, ‘cunny’ simply does not exist.

(5.) WAKE-KEEPING I’m sure most people will argue with this, but argue as you may, what you will find in the dictionary is ‘wake- keep’. (

6.) SCREENTOUCH PHONE Oyinbo people made these devices and called it ‘touchscreen’, by the time the phones go enter Naija, we rename them ‘screen touch’

(7.) DISVIRGIN No, you did not dis virgin that babe, you deflowered her, you took away her virginity, but you certainly did not disvirgin her, because the word ‘disvirgin’ simply does not exist!

http://kokofeed.com/2015/02/12/7-popular-words-nigerians-use-everyday-that-are-not-in-the-dictionary/

Op, it shows you don't live in Lagos for you not to know that ''Go-slow'' is actually used right, the traffic congestion is delibrately delayed.

Screen touch, Who calls it that ?

Wake-keeping, Lol grin, well thats because Nigerians could spend years celebrating the dead, rather than a day tongue, so it is contineus, kikiki

Disvirgin makes more sense than disflowering, for crying out loud, our ladies ain't crops, they are humans.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by PatrickSaintz(m): 7:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
Reason is the dictionary has not been updated
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by pragmatistm(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
"Majorly" is another one. It does not exist.

But you can say largely, chiefly, mostly, etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Topshow4real: 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Expantiate => you will never find this word in the dictionary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by danidee10(m): 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
Na disvirgin I disvirgin folake which one be deflowered

Another example is pepperish

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Martiyu(m): 7:53pm On Feb 05, 2016
Shouldn't that wake-keep be wake?

My opinion, albeit, I wouldn't know if previous pages have addressed this

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by BrightEye(m): 7:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
Gwazah:

@ op check my screen shot below, u tried but got it wrong with the word disvirging, my dictionary have it.

interesting..
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Wulfruna(f): 7:59pm On Feb 05, 2016
Topshow4real:
Expantiate => you will never find this word in the dictionary

Because the word is actually 'expatiate'.

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by charmingeyes(m): 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
What about expanciate or kowaciate ?

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Calebtope(m): 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
babamadiba:
No 10, PARASTATER as in federal government parastater.
sorry parastatal

1 Like

Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Wulfruna(f): 8:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
FabioPeter:
"Educative" correct word is "Educational"

Educative is a correct English word.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Horlufemi(m): 8:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
I think it's high time we have English (NG)
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by toprealman: 8:38pm On Feb 05, 2016
funny enough...etc
Some smart ass should correct this incorrectly used phrase.
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Martiyu(m): 8:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
Horlufemi:
I think it's high time we have English (NG)

I think it's high time we had English (NG).... Fixed
Re: 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. by Eronmosele(m): 8:57pm On Feb 05, 2016
UrbanMystique:
Disvirgin should be added to dictionary. I mean mainstream dictionaries like oxford or Webster.

Though, not only Nigerians use disvirgin. it's even in some online dictionary.

It sounds more meaningful than disflowered .. Which flower she carry wey you dey dis .. Mtchewww
You just invented a new word O! It's not disflower but deflower abi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Maduafokwa Agnes Egoagwuagwu 365 JAMB Score: Highest In 2020 / List Of Part Time Courses (yabatech) / UNILORIN Postgraduate Admissions (2015/2016)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.