Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari (1692 Views)

Nigeria:a Country Still Looking For A Change! / Its Shameful That Buhari Being President Is Tolerating Election Killings. / It's A Shame Nigeria Still Imports, Eggs, Toothpick, Sugar, Wheat - CBN Gov (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Kyliegame: 12:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
President Buhari this morning in interview with BBC described the importation of toothpicks, rice and tomato paste by Nigeria as shameful. See more of what he said during the interview after the cut as shared by BB's correspondent Sam Piranty...

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by AlPeter: 12:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
Terrible I tell you and it's why I've always supported him

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by chriskosherbal(m): 12:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
We need more action rather than talking now in Nigeria.
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Mutuwa(m): 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
chriskosherbal:
We need more action rather than talking now in Nigeria.

As simple as that..
they would make all the noise,but nothing.
there were so many break through's from young Nigeria's,incentives and innovations.Once NTA airs it,you will never hear from that kid again.Talk more of giving him/her a scholarship as a boost.

1 Like

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by obailala(m): 1:06pm On Feb 05, 2016
Drastic actions need to be taken, enough of the talk and talk. Nigeria should be one of the highest producers of tomato in the world, in some areas of the north, tomato grows just like weeds. There's absolutely no reason why we don't have industrial plants to process these into tomato paste or purée, I see no reason why northern governors or even rich individuals in the north can't go into these kind of ventures. Everyone just sits back and waits for monthly allocation from oil revenue even while the central government which should do something drastic (such as a complete ban on tomato paste) keeps talking and talking. Which way Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Standing5(m): 1:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
Pathetic. With the many corruption huddle a honest businessman has to scale in Nigeria, it is easy to understand why our local goods aren't competitive on the global market. By the time a agric person scales thru huddle of fertilizer racket, lack of mechanisation, storage issues, pest issues and substandard pesticides, market politics. Lack of industries to feed off harvest, you tell me how a corn or tomato farmer will survive in global market.

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 05, 2016
Your policies are killing the manufacturing sector today so Cry me a River with all these your baseless theatrics
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Rikidony(m): 1:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
PATHETIC.

THATS WHAT PDP 16 YEARS RULE HAVE TURN NIGERIA INTO.

WITH BABA HOPE STILL DEY

OIL PRICE UNDER PDP'S RULE

4 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 1:27pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
Your policies are killing the manufacturing sector today so Cry me a River with all these your baseless thetorics

The only thing his policy is killing is the reliance on imports

A particular section in Nigeria is sad because they can no longer import toothpick and tomato puree

Importation is not a business. Go and find something else to do

6 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Rikidony(m): 1:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
Your policies are killing the manufacturing sector today so Cry me a River with all these your baseless thetorics
you mean the INEFFECTIVE BUFFOON

4 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by obailala(m): 1:37pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
No, the policies are killing the import sector. A lot of Nigerians (especially the importers) are yet to understand and appreciate how strict and unbendable these policies are, if they knew, they would stop lamenting and switch to manufacturing/local production.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by oduastates: 1:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
T
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
OyeniyiLeke:

The only thing his policy is killing is the reliance on imports

A particular section in Nigeria is sad because they can no longer import toothpick and tomato puree

Importation is not a business. Go and find something else to do
what will you be consuming before the goods you want to produce come on board.

Sometime adept thinking should be mastered before commenting on my post
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rikidony:

you mean the INEFFECTIVE BUFFOON
did I ask you to mention Buhari for me undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
obailala:
No, the policies are killing the import sector. A lot of Nigerians (especially the importers) are yet to understand and appreciate how strict and unbendable these policies are, if they knew, they would stop lamenting and switch to manufacturing/local production.
how do you bring in the machineries and equipment to set up shop when the economic climate is unbalanced and on a downward spiral? Do you think starting a production line is bean cake with the attendant bureaucracy and double taxation in our system.
The framework is not there plzzxxxx
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
what will you be consuming before the goods you want to produce come on board.

Sometime adept thinking should be mastered before commenting on my post

The policy has been in operation for some months now. If the IPOB importers have spent all the time they use in abusing Buhari to expand their capacity to produce these products, they would be operational by now.

And by the way, a lot of these products are driven by the importers marketing strategies and not by domestic demand. I am sure you did GCE Economics and you know that most products have substitutes.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Rikidony(m): 1:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
did I ask you to mention Buhari for me undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 1:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
how do you bring in the machineries and equipment to set up shop when the economic climate is unbalanced and on a downward spiral? Do you think starting a production line is bean cake with the attendant bureaucracy and double taxation in our system.

Rubbish

There is provision in the current policy to ensure that businesses can import raw materials, spares and parts. They are even given financial incentives to help them

The reason why people are not doing it is because they are addicted to easy money made from importation. They lack the patience to start their own manufacturing base.

There are more bottlenecks in the importation business than in production/manufacturing

4 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Standing5(m): 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rikidony:
PATHETIC.

THATS WHAT PDP 16 YEARS RULE HAVE TURN NIGERIA INTO.

WITH BABA HOPE STILL DEY

OIL PRICE UNDER PDP'S RULE
OBJ tried banning import of easy-to-make goods in order to spur local manufacture and industry growth.
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by DropShot: 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
[s]
PROVACATEUR:
Your policies are killing the manufacturing sector today so Cry me a River with all these your baseless theatrics
[/s]
Which policy is that one?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
OyeniyiLeke:

The policy has been in operation for some months now. If the IPOB importers have spent all the time they use in abusing Buhari to expand their capacity to produce these products, they would be operational by now.

And by the way, a lot of these products are driven by the importers marketing strategies and not by domestic demand. I am sure you did GCE Economics and you know that most products have substitutes.
A policy where we are still planning on production of pencils? A policy where the banks who are supposed to fund the manufacturing sector are in distress owing to financial crunch and archaic monetary policies of buhari, A policy where your president scares foreign investors away with his rhetorics about how corrupt and bastardised Nigeria is?

Plz a better tale should suffice from you

1 Like

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by obailala(m): 1:53pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
The Nigerian business climate has never been rosy and it has nothing to do with the present administration. In terms of manufacturing, things are even getting better under the new dispensation because of the restrictive policies which affects mainly finished product importers. As a manufacturer, once you can provide evidence that you only need to import raw materials, I'm sure you would have no problems. The people complaining about these policies are mainly those involved in importing finished products.
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Standing5(m): 1:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
OyeniyiLeke:

Rubbish

There is provision in the current policy to ensure that businesses can import raw materials, spares and parts. They are even given financial incentives to help them

The reason why people are not doing it is because they are addicted to easy money made from importation. They lack the patience to start their own manufacturing base.

There are more bottlenecks in the importation business than in production/manufacturing
The bold is wrong. People find it hard to compete with foreign alternatives smuggle thru porous borders after harsh production condition must have pushed final prices up. Importation is easier but local production is better.
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 1:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
A policy where we are still planning on production of pencils? A policy where the banks who are supposed to fund the manufacturing sector are in distress owing to financial crunch and archaic monetary policies of buhari, A policy where your president scares foreign investors away with his rhetorics about how corrupt and bastardised Nigeria is?

Plz a better tale should suffice from you

Very incoherent argument

You are just moving from one thing to the other. No substance

All these made up stories are the reasons why IPOB are not engaging in Manufacturing, they are addicted to easy money and unfortunately, this is a long term strategy, no amount of abuse or lamentations will change it. Importation must stop to restructure the economy

Banks are not statues, they will respond to the demand in the economy. There is insufficient demand for credit to start production activities. Have you approached your bank for a loan to start a business?

Nigeria is corrupt. Buhari does not need to tell anyone, this is a well known fact globally. The international community is responding positively to the anti graft policy of Buhari. You might choose to turn a blind eye to that fact but it is the truth

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 1:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
obailala:
The Nigerian business climate has never been rosy and it has nothing to do with the present administration. In terms of manufacturing, things are even getting better under the new dispensation because of the restrictive policies which affects mainly finished product importers. As a manufacturer, once you can provide evidence that you only need to import raw materials, I'm sure you would have no problems. The people complaining about these policies are mainly people involved in importing finished products.
I can tell you with certainty that its not what you read on pages of texts and papers that obtains in the real world. Starting a production line is capital intensive and a lot of factors comes into play. Let's not see it like its an abracadabra thingy where every factors of production start moving seamlessly at the press of a button
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
Standing5:
The bold is wrong. People find it hard to compete with foreign alternatives smuggle thru porous borders after harsh production condition must have pushed final prices up. Importation is easier but local production is better.

The bottlenecks I was referring to are the administrative constraints

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
OyeniyiLeke:

Very incoherent argument

All these made up stories are the reasons why IPOB are not engaging in Manufacturing, they are addicted to easy money and unfortunately, this is a long term strategy, no amount of abuse or lamentations will change it. Importation must stop to restructure the economy

Banks are not statues, they will respond to the demand in the economy. There is insufficient demand for credit to start production activities. Have you approached your bank for a loan to start a business?

Nigeria is corrupt. Buhari does not need to tell anyone, this is a well known fact globally. The international community is responding positively to the anti graft policy of Buhari. You might choose to turn a blind eye to that fact but it is the truth
I can smell anger and bile rising from you. Let's stay on the topic and not involve ipob or any group because we can't defend our fort with strong arguments.

Thanks
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
I can tell you with certainty that its not what you read on pages of texts and papers that obtains in the real world. Starting a production line is capital intensive and a lot of factors comes into play. Let's not see it like its an abracadabra thingy where every factors of production start moving seamlessly at the press of a button

Good point

Which means it requires patience, dedication and hardwork but the rewards could be very great. Sounds like any other business to me.

Importation is just an easier option but detrimental to our economy.

There are many schemes out there to provide financial support and mentoring for new businesses. Are you aware of this?

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 2:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
I can smell anger and bile rising from you. Let's stay on the topic and not involve ipob or any group because we can't defend our fort with strong arguments.

Thanks

On the contrary I'm in high spirits

You started the abuse on this thread, not me sir

2 Likes

Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by obailala(m): 2:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
PROVACATEUR:
Of course getting into manufacturing isn't a bed of roses, the Nigerian power problem alone is even a major show-stopper. Imported finished products are far far cheaper and of higher quality (for now) than locally manufactured/produced stuff hence it's much more lucrative for businessmen to just import than to manufacture. As a matter of fact, it may interest you to note that most local manufacturers also do massive importation by the side to shore up their profits, hence the complaints from these guys that the policies are affecting their business (the hidden truth is that the policies affects the import side of their businesses and not the other way around).

For an import dependent nation like Nigeria, it would take a whole lot of patience and belt-tightening to shift the nation away from its import dependence. I don't think the present policies restricting imports are in bad faith, but if only our porous smuggling borders can be blocked, I can assure you the gains of these 'harsh' policies would be felt, but 'much later.'
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by Standing5(m): 2:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
OyeniyiLeke:

Very incoherent argument

When power supply eventually becomes stable it will be because the goverment is trying to strangle the business of those dealing in generator sales and repairs. It isn't hard to how the sophisticated ignorance and greed of a small but agressive group is hold back forward thinking minds.
Re: Its Shameful That Our Country Still Imports Tootpick,tomato Paste Etc - Buhari by OyeniyiLeke: 2:11pm On Feb 05, 2016
Standing5:
When power supply eventually becomes stable it will be because the goverment is trying to strangle the business of those dealing in generator sales and repairs. It isn't hard to how the sophisticated ignorance and greed of a small but agressive group is hold back forward thinking minds.

grin grin

Very true indeed

They are very shortsighted because they are the ones that could benefit the most from the policy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

There Are Plots To Kill Buhari Rev Fr Mbaka Says / Full Budget Now Online / Ayo fayose on FRESH fM (youtube vidoe )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.